2009-2010 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's it, the term for it was escaping me. I was watching a presentation somewhere about that and they had done public polling, and it was amazing how the public's view of evidence-based medicine really depends on how the question is asked (as is true in many circumstances). Sometimes, I think we assume the most expensive treatment is by definition the best, and who wants to gamble when their health is involved?

I agree. If you have the money to try everything, you are going to try everything. Since we here in the US are pretty well off, we spend that money.

Members don't see this ad.

Few questions for any Mayo students or otherwise who might know the answers. Hopefully I'm touching on stuff that others may find helpful as well.

What are the third and fourth year rotations like? What are the cases like (zebra v. horse), what is the role of the med student on the team, what are the hours like, and what are the available electives (I am interested in Rad Onc and Heme-Onc)?

Are all rotations (besides away at AZ of FL) at Methodist or St. Mary's, or are there off-campus sites, perhaps for family med?

How are students evaluated in 3rd and 4th years?

During any of the four years, do students take classes with the graduate school? Is this possible/practical? What are the quality of these courses?

What is the role of the med students in the clinics 1st and 2nd years? How often are they there?

Has anyone sought out basic science research, as opposed to clinical application (as is Mayo's specialty)?

How does health insurance work with financial aid? When people say they are paying 5k a year (as most of the class has similar financial aid), does this include health insurance?

What type of international work do students do, and can this come out of the 5K travel budget?

I hope I'm not being a terrible pest, but I am trying to get a much more detailed picture of how the medical school works at Mayo. I love the place, but want to make sure I know enough! Very much appreciated :)

Any of you brave souls willing to call and see if they're still planning on sending out the last acceptances by the 21st?

Also, before my interview I was under the impression that Mayo was inexpensive in addition to being cost effective. A patient I rode with in the shuttle from the airport put me in my place with a "hmph, I dunno about the inexpensive part." While the care may be cost effective, it is at the same time often uniquely invasive and intense in nature, and therefore still expensive in the end.

It's unfortunate that they don't take medicare, but at the same time medicare is a form of public insurance that serves those with no income and as a program is continually putting the budget in the red. Health insurance, as a social contract, doesn't work when those without means are given coverage without a sufficient contribution from those with means; that's why the most effective option would be mandatory tax-supported single payer; nevertheless, rhetoric and paranoia as of late have people scared and mistrustful of the government, all while they're paying increasing premiums and signing up for thousands of dollars in deductibles with for-profit insurance companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's unfortunate that they don't take medicare, but at the same time medicare is a form of public insurance that serves those with no income and as a program is continually putting the budget in the red. Health insurance, as a social contract, doesn't work when those without means are given coverage without a sufficient contribution from those with means; that's why the most effective option would be mandatory tax-supported single payer

I'm not sure how it follows that since Medicare doesn't work, a national single-payer scheme would be the most effective option. A government plan, whether it be Medicare, Medicaid, or a single-payer plan, will be redistributive by definition because those who get the most benefit are those who can pay the least to support it, and vice-versa. You could argue that Medicare is supported by people who do not currently benefit from it, which is true, but in theory, we are supporting it now so we can benefit from it later (again, in theory). The solution to the problem you mentioned with Medicare is to raise Medicare taxes on everyone; raising taxes would be the same solution that would be necessary under a single-payer system. People will of course resist this, and the fact is, any government plan will always put pressure on hospitals to accept less money. Right now, well-off hospitals like Mayo and others can get away without taking Medicare and Medicaid, but under a single-payer plan, that will no longer be an option.

Anyways, "most effective" is a term that can be taken many different ways, so maybe I misunderstood you

Any of you brave souls willing to call and see if they're still planning on sending out the last acceptances by the 21st?

Also, before my interview I was under the impression that Mayo was inexpensive in addition to being cost effective. A patient I rode with in the shuttle from the airport put me in my place with a "hmph, I dunno about the inexpensive part." While the care may be cost effective, it is at the same time often uniquely invasive and intense in nature, and therefore still expensive in the end.

It's unfortunate that they don't take medicare, but at the same time medicare is a form of public insurance that serves those with no income and as a program is continually putting the budget in the red. Health insurance, as a social contract, doesn't work when those without means are given coverage without a sufficient contribution from those with means; that's why the most effective option would be mandatory tax-supported single payer; nevertheless, rhetoric and paranoia as of late have people scared and mistrustful of the government, all while they're paying increasing premiums and signing up for thousands of dollars in deductibles with for-profit insurance companies.

I would have to say that throughout the history of the US government has largely been viewed as a necessary evil, and as such should be kept as small as possible. This was the view held by the founding fathers.

As for calling about the 21st, I honestly don't think I care enough. I have been playing the waiting game for so long that I just don't care. If me and Mayo are meant to be, it will happen when it happens. For those of you who are less apathetic than me, don't be afraid to call. They are very friendly and always willing to help.

A government plan, whether it be Medicare, Medicaid, or a single-payer plan, will be redistributive by definition because those who get the most benefit are those who can pay the least to support it, and vice-versa.

Any health insurance at all is redistributive by definition. Virtually no one could pay out of pocket the thousands of dollars required for invasive, unexpected medical procedures, let alone the hundreds of dollars required for the typical maintenance stuff. The basis of insurance is that everyone contributes to a pool, and only a small proportion of that group in the end will get sick and require the resources from the pool, so everyone makes an investment due to the underlying probability that they will have some sort of medical catastrophe. The question is whether you want this social contract managed by a for profit company, whose motives will always be to their shareholders no matter what their slogans say, or whether you want it run by the government, whose ostensible purpose is to protect its citizens by negotiating just such a social contract. Such a pool is most effective when everyone is forced to contribute, and one single entity can negotiate payment with providers for the most cost-effective services available.

I would have to say that throughout the history of the US government has largely been viewed as a necessary evil, and as such should be kept as small as possible. This was the view held by the founding fathers.

As Jon Stewart has astutely pointed out, the founding fathers also believed their bodily health was governed by humors. The government definitely needs to be smaller and needs to stop spending beyond its means, but there are certain areas where the free market system self regulates and there are certain areas where it fails. Health care is an area where the market fails completely to incentivize cost effectiveness or competition among providers because the recipient of care is never directly paying the bill (and as someone said, no one wants a bargain liver transplant or coronary bypass). In areas such as this, most other developed countries have concluded that it is appropriate for the government to have comprehensive control, and for the record the vast majority of them have better health outcomes than we do.

Any health insurance at all is redistributive by definition. Virtually no one could pay out of pocket the thousands of dollars required for invasive, unexpected medical procedures, let alone the hundreds of dollars required for the typical maintenance stuff. The basis of insurance is that everyone contributes to a pool, and only a small proportion of that group in the end will get sick and require the resources from the pool, so everyone makes an investment due to the underlying probability that they will have some sort of medical catastrophe. The question is whether you want this social contract managed by a for profit company, whose motives will always be to their shareholders no matter what their slogans say, or whether you want it run by the government, whose ostensible purpose is to protect its citizens by negotiating just such a social contract. Such a pool is most effective when everyone is forced to contribute, and one single entity can negotiate payment with providers for the most cost-effective services available.

Ok I see what you're saying more clearly now. I would agree that a social contract enforced by a for-profit agent is problematic. I would just add that it is a questionable assumption for many that the purchase of healthcare should fall under social contract theory. It is a relatively prevalent view in this country that healthcare should fall into the commercial sphere and is most efficiently distributed when it involves a contract between buyer and seller rather than between citizen and government (though it would be a fair counterpoint that efficiency and effectiveness might not be synonymous in this case). A lot of people disagree on this point. That's one reason we're in this situation in the US, whereas in much of Europe, it is more acceptable that healthcare should be provided by the state as a type of social contract.

As Jon Stewart has astutely pointed out, the founding fathers also believed their bodily health was governed by humors. The government definitely needs to be smaller and needs to stop spending beyond its means, but there are certain areas where the free market system self regulates and there are certain areas where it fails. Health care is an area where the market fails completely to incentivize cost effectiveness or competition among providers because the recipient of care is never directly paying the bill (and as someone said, no one wants a bargain liver transplant or coronary bypass). In areas such as this, most other developed countries have concluded that it is appropriate for the government to have comprehensive control, and for the record the vast majority of them have better health outcomes than we do.

So their belief on how the human body functioned was not scientifically accurate? Don't act like they were alone in that belief. According to Wikipedia, that was the most commonly held belief by European physicians until the advent of modern medical research in the 19th century. All the same, I can't help but wonder what that has to do with the argument at hand, which was the notion that the founding fathers believed in small government Oh well, I imagine that sort of thing goes over well with the Daily Show crowd, but I fail to see the relevance of pointing out how inaccurate medical science has been at certain points in history is to our founding fathers principles of governance.

Anyways, my only point was that it is not some new thing that people are skeptical of the government. Its been part of America throughout our history.

I do agree that regulation is necessary to a certain extent in some industries, but as it stands the current bills from the house and Senate don't really address that. Plus, they leave out some other seriously needed reforms.

Last edited:
Few questions for any Mayo students or otherwise who might know the answers. Hopefully I'm touching on stuff that others may find helpful as well.

good questions. they'll help me also.

no new acceptances as of late? maaaan.

one question i have for students:

People here at my hospital view Mayo as a "factory" just pumping paid procedures out (i know they have an obscene amount of OR's). And one major criticism i heard that Mayo is not condusive to new ideas, techniques, and breakthroughs. Anything anyone can comment on?

I love how this thread has turned into

Mayo Clinic: The Good. The Bad. The Ugly.

I love it

I love how this thread has turned into

Mayo Clinic: The Good. The Bad. The Ugly.

I love it

considering the uniqueness of the school, i think it's expected.

that being said, i'm still hype as heck.

considering the uniqueness of the school, i think it's expected.

that being said, i'm still hype as heck.

:thumbup:

Agreed.

Even though I am head over heels for the place I'm sure there will be things to dislike. If you can't find a single problem ANY institution you're either blind or not looking.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed.

Even though I am head over heels for the place I'm sure there will be things to dislike. If you can't find a single problem ANY institution you're either blind or not looking.

i already found one.

going in as a single male, this place is gonna be rough. you can believe i'll be going into the city multiple times a month.

i already found one.

going in as a single male, this place is gonna be rough. you can believe i'll be going into the city multiple times a month.
Ditto. It also sucks that Minneapolis/St.Paul is far away (1.5hrs). However, I remember Dean Lindor saying that ~40% of Mayo-trained physicians find their significant others at Mayo. That sounds encouraging unless you're not interested in marriage.No?

Dating has always come naturally to me, but we will see if I have to work hard at Mayo.:laugh:

So their belief on how the human body functioned was not scientifically accurate? Don't act like they were alone in that belief. According to Wikipedia, that was the most commonly held belief by European physicians until the advent of modern medical research in the 19th century. All the same, I can't help but wonder what that has to do with the argument at hand, which was the notion that the founding fathers believed in small government Oh well, I imagine that sort of thing goes over well with the Daily Show crowd, but I fail to see the relevance of pointing out how inaccurate medical science has been at certain points in history is to our founding fathers principles of governance.

I find it frustrating when people opposed to progressive political and social reform cite small government as the wish of the founding fathers, as if it's some sacred truth or infallible mantra that is in some way applicable to modern society. The founding fathers lived in an agrarian society without career politicians and parasitic subsidization between government and private industry, what I believe to be the current cause of most of the corruption and inefficiencies in the public sphere. Their ideals or visions are contextually obsolete and inapplicable to the contemporary situation. With that said, I understand you were simply making a comment and I didn't intend to insult you or direct any blame or judgment.

i already found one.

When I interviewed, my student interviewer took me to the "all school celebration" or something like that. Basically, it was every one at Mayo Medical School updating about their life the past year at Mayo, except the first years who did a skit and introduced themselves. It was really cool. Anyways, of relevance to your post, it seemed like a boatload of people were getting married, having kids, etc., so it seems that there is plenty of opportunity for dating (and baby making activities) while at Mayo. The fact that Mayo was so supportive of all these students doing this sort of thing was a huge selling point for my wife and I (in addition to all the other great things about Mayo).

I find it frustrating when people opposed to progressive political and social reform cite small government as the wish of the founding fathers, as if it's some sacred truth or infallible mantra that is in some way applicable to modern society. The founding fathers lived in an agrarian society without career politicians and parasitic subsidization between government and private industry, what I believe to be the current cause of most of the corruption and inefficiencies in the public sphere. Their ideals or visions are contextually obsolete and inapplicable to the contemporary situation. With that said, I understand you were simply making a comment and I didn't intend to insult you or direct any blame or judgment.

No worries.

I agree with you for the most part; the founders shouldn't be treated as demigods or in some way infallible. But I don't agree that their ideals or visions are totally inapplicable. The fact of the matter is, the design of the government cannot be totally divorced from the forces that formed it. When people ignore the context and intent that the founding fathers had in constructing our government, they tend to pick and choose parts they like and don't like without regard for the whole. What results is that rather than legally amending the Constitution, people add or subtract meaning to "update" it for contemporary times. I'm not saying these changes are always bad, but I think you have to at least allow for the possibility that the Constitution works best when used as intended. Sometimes the consequences of divorcing a system from its intentions are immediate, while other times they come later and more gradually. I could give examples but I don't want to ramble on endlessly, as I am prone to do.

... The founding fathers lived in an agrarian society without career politicians...

Just curious, do you (and anyone else who cares to comment) think term limits should be put in place for senators and members of the House, instead of just for the President? I think it could be a good idea.

Just curious, do you (and anyone else who cares to comment) think term limits should be put in place for senators and members of the House, instead of just for the President? I think it could be a good idea.

Absolutely.

Ditto. It also sucks that Minneapolis/St.Paul is far away (1.5hrs). However, I remember Dean Lindor saying that ~40% of Mayo-trained physicians find their significant others at Mayo. That sounds encouraging unless you're not interested in marriage.No?

Dating has always come naturally to me, but we will see if I have to work hard at Mayo.:laugh:

Haha. Yes, I will be sure to lead some trips up to the Twin Cities (which I LOVE) if I end up at Mayo. It'll be a challenge on the "scene", but I bet opportunities could be found!

We have decided as a society that certain things are done most effective and efficiently as a group. In areas like police, fire fighting, and road building we pool our resources because we understand that as individuals and as a society, we all benefit. I think the cost and outcome data from other countries (as well as our own VA system) would argue that health care fits into this category. I don't know that I think the ideals of the founders or ideological debates about small versus large government are the most relevant consideration. The current bills, while certainly not perfect, will be a jumping off point (as have most major policy initiatives over history) and probably need tweeking at some point over time. But surely we can all agree that the current approach is not working in terms of issues of cost, universiality of coverage, or outcomes.

BTW, I asked about medicare coverage when I interviewed at Mayo. Those 5 doctors in AZ aside, I was assured that Mayo does indeed take medicare and it's a vital part of it's mission to do so.

Sorry for the long post.

it seemed like a boatload of people were getting married, having kids, etc., so it seems that there is plenty of opportunity for dating (and baby making activities) while at Mayo.

thats the problem, it also seemed to me that a boatload were doing what you said...meaning they weren't single and probably weren't when they got to mayo. it seems like people go there all wrapped up.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of a single population. There are plenty of us single ladies (and also guys) at Mayo and in Rochester in general. Trust me, I work in a whole lab full of them (like 40 gals, and 5 guys) You might just have to broaden your scope beyond the Med School and Bars/Clubs but I think you'll be fine. ;)

Some other ways to meet people: the Rochester Area Sports Club (cycling, biking, kayaking, & x-ctry skiing groups, etc); a triathlon group; cheap/short community ed classes on things like horseback riding, photography, cooking, wildflower ID'ing, and rescuing baby turtles at whitewater state park :rolleyes:; various intramural sports; ballroom dance classes; mayo clinic has photo clubs, chess clubs, etc. for anyone in the mayo system that might be interested; rumor has it there's also some sort of valentine's day thing for singles for the whole place......

seek and ye shall find... lol

thats the problem, it also seemed to me that a boatload were doing what you said...meaning they weren't single and probably weren't when they got to mayo. it seems like people go there all wrapped up.

I guess it ends up being a bit of a trade off then for single people, and finding a partner is probably part of the reason a lot of people don't go to Mayo. That sort of thing would probably be easier to do at a bigger school with an undergrad campus attached. I can imagine it would be a difficult decision, but you just have to weigh your options and figure out your priorities. If that is to go out to the bars and clubs and pick up some ladies/d00dz on the weekend, then Mayo might not be the right fit. If you just want to find some one nice to settle down with, then I am sure Rochester is a big enough city for you to do that in, but you might not agree. I honestly don't know how I would feel if I was in that position, but then again I'm not even accepted to Mayo as it is so it wouldn't freakin' matter anyways. :rolleyes:

I just had to say holy crap after looking at your MDapps! Good luck with your decisions...you're like a pre-med's wet dream. I bet many if not most pre-meds out there would literally kill for the acceptances you have.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the lack of a single population. There are plenty of us single ladies (and also guys) at Mayo and in Rochester in general. Trust me, I work in a whole lab full of them (like 40 gals, and 5 guys) You might just have to broaden your scope beyond the Med School and Bars/Clubs but I think you'll be fine. ;)

Some other ways to meet people: the Rochester Area Sports Club (cycling, biking, kayaking, & x-ctry skiing groups, etc); a triathlon group; cheap/short community ed classes on things like horseback riding, photography, cooking, wildflower ID'ing, and rescuing baby turtles at whitewater state park :rolleyes:; various intramural sports; ballroom dance classes; mayo clinic has photo clubs, chess clubs, etc. for anyone in the mayo system that might be interested; rumor has it there's also some sort of valentine's day thing for singles for the whole place......

:laugh: Looks like I will be trying all those things. First of all, I have always wanted to try some of these things to broaden my scope. Enough of only basketball and soccer. Haha. Second, after visiting many schools this app season, Mayo seemed like the only place I could have a lot of fun and still do well. I guess I can kill two birds with one stone.:D

There was a quote I read in the graduate school handbook from one of the students.

"They say the only limiting factor at Mayo is you."

Now that I think about it I think that goes for having a social life too.

I was warned by a couple people that this isn't the best place for young single people to have fun or meet someone, but I've liked it enough to buy a house here and stick around for awhile and have had no shortage of ways to entertain myself (my roommate and I put a volleyball net and firepit in the backyard). :cool:

You should go somewhere you feel is a good fit, but it's also what you make of it too.

Good luck for those of you still waiting, now I'll get off the thread I'm not even applying to yet. :oops:

great post. thanks for the reassurement. if you are pre-med, are you just working in a lab at mayo?

lrkoehle said:
I just had to say holy crap after looking at your MDapps! Good luck with your decisions...you're like a pre-med's wet dream. I bet many if not most pre-meds out there would literally kill for the acceptances you have.
thanks, lrkoehle

Last edited:
Mayo acceptances call day TOMORROW!:xf::xf::xf:

Did some one actually call and find out that calls will go out tomorrow? I was under the impression that the big committee meeting was tomorrow, which means that those people ranked tomorrow will be eligible for the last round of acceptances. I am pretty sure that last round will go out next Monday or Tuesday. Only time will tell...

Did some one actually call and find out that calls will go out tomorrow? I was under the impression that the big committee meeting was tomorrow, which means that those people ranked tomorrow will be eligible for the last round of acceptances. I am pretty sure that last round will go out next Monday or Tuesday. Only time will tell...

I called Carmen yesterday- all acceptances will be given the first few days next week.

I called Carmen yesterday- all acceptances will be given the first few days next week.

Okay, so I'll put $5 on two acceptances next Thursday, and then rampant speculation as things are stalled for two more weeks. Whadya guys think? He he

I guess that means I have the rest of today or tomorrow to withdraw my application, so i don't have to feel the sting of not being selected yet again (actually, at this point it doesn't really sting anymore, its just like :shrug: can't do anything about it). So who is with me? How many of you are going to withdraw today and tomorrow???

Okay, so I'll put $5 on two acceptances next Thursday, and then rampant speculation as things are stalled for two more weeks. Whadya guys think? He he

It seems as though that would fit the patern of late, but I am willing to bet they finish it up next week. I'm sure they are as ready to be finished with this cycle as we are.

I would bet that those waiting to get ranked still will be ranked tonight and get the email tonight or in the morning.

Hold Status :luck:-
10/20 lrkoehle, mabelene, hanjg, orange4me, OMSTR, vtche02, tusabe
12/1 PillClinton, SaintT, mooo, ballin, th286, Andaluthina
12/7 Premed Bedhead, trueBelief, mpls, LAman10, JJFoshay, Obog360, sylntsniper, jjk, PeterParker7
12/21 Affix

Accepted :love:-
10/20 itsalovestory, bamtuba, nerday shortay, musik
10/28 pharaoh88 (hold 10/20), sultanMD, premad
11/23 Jolt21, Jerew, Beignet87
12/19 kspace, archimedesxx (hold 12/7), dreamcatchr88
01/12 LetGod

Ok guys, we need a better turn out for SDN in this next round of acceptances, so no slacking off.

Also, have there been any more holds since the big one on 12/7?

Last edited:
lrkoehle,
I was put on hold on 12/21. I interviewed in late November.
Thanks for keeping this running tally!

I guess that means I have the rest of today or tomorrow to withdraw my application, so i don't have to feel the sting of not being selected yet again (actually, at this point it doesn't really sting anymore, its just like :shrug: can't do anything about it). So who is with me? How many of you are going to withdraw today and tomorrow???
withdrawing would be silly IMO. but its your call...

I'm hanging in to the (hopefully not so) bitter end. Or at least till next week. ;)

Remember that Mayo takes a whole lot of people from the alternate list so you may be doing yourself a great disservice by withdrawing so soon.

withdrawing would be silly IMO. but its your call...

I'm hanging in to the (hopefully not so) bitter end. Or at least till next week. ;)

Remember that Mayo takes a whole lot of people from the alternate list so you may be doing yourself a great disservice by withdrawing so soon.

I'm not going to actually withdraw. It doesn't cost me any time or money or anything to keep my application active at Mayo, so I will keep it going as long as possible. I would suggest those who would still consider Mayo as an option do the same. Withdrawing is forever. Heck that's part of the reason I am struggling with the decision to withdraw from a school I've been accepted too that I know is probably way to expensive for me, but I just can't pull the trigger.

What do you mean by "a whole lot"... because I thought it was like 10 out of 100 or something

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that was an attempt to promote withdrawals from other people to serve your own self-interests (especially because you later said you had no intention of withdrawing). In case I am correct in my finely tuned online woman's intuition, let's not act like a cutthroat pre-med. Mayo Medical School (and its thread, I'd say), of all schools, is not the place for that.

Last edited:
If I didn't know any better, I'd think that was an attempt to promote withdrawals from other people to serve your own self-interests (especially because you later said you had no intention of withdrawing). In case I am correct in my finely tuned online woman's intuition, let's not act like a cutthroat pre-med. Mayo Medical School (and its thread, I'd say), of all schools, is not the place for that.

i think he was joking from the start. i detected sarcasm, but thats up for interpretation.

let's not act like a cutthroat pre-med... Mayo Medical School (and its thread, I'd say), of all schools, is not the place for that.

All hail the great Mayo...

Mayo is an incredible school. But sometimes threads on this forum (and this thread in particular, I'd say), sound like an echo chamber where school A is just better than those other schools.

Last edited:
All hail the great Mayo...

Mayo is an incredible school. But sometimes threads on this forum (and this thread in particular, I'd say), sound like an echo chamber where school A is just better than those other schools.
Nerday is very funny, sarcastic and the best,so please take everything she says with a pinch of salt. This shouldn't turn into another: Which medical school is the best? thread

You know, when I was there, Mayo kinda smelled funny.

I'm just saying...other schools deffo smelled better.

People, people - if we're going to discuss which school is the best, we shouldn't beat around the bush as far as criteria goes. JJ is right. Just take a sniff, and you will know which school is right for you. I bet med schools emit pheromones that only pre-meds can smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.