2009-2010 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an e-mail this morning from Dr. Brooks saying she would be happy to discuss my application with me over the phone (sent an update letter about a month and a half ago). Guess my interviewing chances here are done. At least she'll let me know what she thought needed work.

Hi actoutfit! What came out of your phone appt?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi actoutfit! What came out of your phone appt?

It went pretty well. We talked about weaknesses in my application, things to improve, I told her some more updated information for my app. No definitive decision though, you have your call yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
It went pretty well. We talked about weaknesses in my application, things to improve, I told her some more updated information for my app. No definitive decision though, you have your call yet?

Same as yours! But leaning more towards reapplying...:cool:

Sorry, I'm sure this has been mentioned... what's Dr. Brooks' e-maill address?

Hi!
I've been on the high priority wait-list since February...does anyone have any information or know how many people are usually taken from the HP wait-list? Or how long it is before people usually hear back?
Thanks!

Ooo also, what is the alternative category? Is that the same as HP waitlist?

"high priority" is further up on the list than "alternate." The waitlist has shown movement in the past few years.

Hi!
I've been on the high priority wait-list since February...does anyone have any information or know how many people are usually taken from the HP wait-list? Or how long it is before people usually hear back?
Thanks!

I've been on it since the beginning of December and am definitely hoping to hear something! So far, I think waitlist movement has been relatively slow, but should pick up as it gets closer to May 15th and also when Jefferson finishes interviews (I'm not sure when this is).

Thanks for the info!
I'm really hoping to hear some good news too. JMC is my first choice (and probably my only prospect for this year).
What makes you say that it should pick up around May 15th?

Thanks for the info!
I'm really hoping to hear some good news too. JMC is my first choice (and probably my only prospect for this year).
What makes you say that it should pick up around May 15th?

May 15th is the deadline when all applicants must withdraw all their acceptances except one, so as people get into their top choices and withdraw from jeff, spots will open up.

Hi!
Thanks!

I've been on it since the beginning of December and am definitely hoping to hear something! So far, I think waitlist movement has been relatively slow, but should pick up as it gets closer to May 15th and also when Jefferson finishes interviews (I'm not sure when this is).

A good chunk of people are taken from the HP wait-list, but it can vary widely from class to class (one recent class was ~15%, while the one after it was ~5%). Like stated, the waitlist movement is pretty slow when interviews are still being done, but picks up as people figure out where they're going. Traditionally Jefferson interviews run until early/mid April, so after this week's set of interviews there are probably 2-3 interview dates left (next week is spring break, so I don't think there are interviews). Basically, don't give up hope and continue updating Dr. Brooks with any new information.

Members don't see this ad :)
A good chunk of people are taken from the HP wait-list, but it can vary widely from class to class (one recent class was ~15%, while the one after it was ~5%). Like stated, the waitlist movement is pretty slow when interviews are still being done, but picks up as people figure out where they're going. Traditionally Jefferson interviews run until early/mid April, so after this week's set of interviews there are probably 2-3 interview dates left (next week is spring break, so I don't think there are interviews). Basically, don't give up hope and continue updating Dr. Brooks with any new information.

Thank you for the info :) Are you saying 5-15% of the waitlist or of the class?

Jefferson still interviewing???? Hoping for one here, Philly is a cool place to be!

At my interview, Dr. Callahan said that they interview until the second week of April.

Thank you for the info :) Are you saying 5-15% of the waitlist or of the class?

Of the class, so that'd be ~15-40 people because our class size is in the 260 range. I have no idea how long the HP waitlist is and I'm sure it varies in size from year to year.

Jefferson still interviewing???? Hoping for one here, Philly is a cool place to be!

Yeah, they're still interviewing...the last few interview groups tend to be pretty large so there's still hope. Just keep an eye out for a phone call because sometimes they might notify you the week of the interview (happened to a few of my friends)

Man...I hope they call me soon about a decision...I interviewed about 3 weeks ago and I'm dying to hear an answer...

Who did you interview with? My interviewer was from outside of Philly (Bryn Mawr), so I feel like I'll be in this situation as well.

Thats the thing. She works at the hospital and Dr. Brooks told me she come to almost every meeting. I emailed Dr. Brooks 2 weeks ago and she said I shoud hear anytime now. AHHH. I hate waiting, but if I get in it'll be worth it :)

I am on the high-priority list and have been since December. I have written all the letters and been in contact with Dr. Brooks. I want, more than anything, to go to Jefferson. Does anyone have any special suggestions that may convince the committee to let me in?

I am on the high-priority list and have been since December. I have written all the letters and been in contact with Dr. Brooks. I want, more than anything, to go to Jefferson. Does anyone have any special suggestions that may convince the committee to let me in?

What kinds of things have you been doing when contacting Dr. Brooks? I've just been updating my activities, but there's really only so many ways you can express interest again and again.

does jeff have a second look day?
Yup! :DThe actual second look day is Friday, April 30th but there's a reception dinner for accepted students the night before so they can meet the faculty and mingle with both old and new students. Friday is much more structured with information sessions on classes and stuff and a chance to check out the clinical rotations. Hope this helps!

What kinds of things have you been doing when contacting Dr. Brooks? I've just been updating my activities, but there's really only so many ways you can express interest again and again.

I have sent a letter of intent. I have spoken to her in person several times. I have sent updates on classes I am taking and publications I have had. Dr. Brooks has been more than helpful, she is really great. I don't really know Dr. Callahan though. I wonder if I should try to contact her more?

I vaguely remember Dr. Brooks mentioning that the adcom will not be meeting next week due to spring break..

anyone else hear there or am i just making things up? lol

I vaguely remember Dr. Brooks mentioning that the adcom will not be meeting next week due to spring break..

anyone else hear there or am i just making things up? lol

Haha you heard right. They have off next week and won't be meeting until the following week.

Haha you heard right. They have off next week and won't be meeting until the following week.

lol, damn..my interview told me he wasn't going to this week's meeting, so i knew not to expect anything..but I'm going to be out of the country for the wed that he said he'd be going to the meeting

oh well, I guess I'll find out when they get back :/
do they call accepted students and email waitlist/rejected students?

lol, damn..my interview told me he wasn't going to this week's meeting, so i knew not to expect anything..but I'm going to be out of the country for the wed that he said he'd be going to the meeting

If you have your cell phone you will find out the day the decision is made, so no worries with the traveling. Just bring your cell.

I believe high priority/WL/reject is sent via email.

EDIT: Didn't see you said "country". Hope you have a global phone (like a blackberry) or if you don't just email them like Ilovewater said. Shouldn't be a major issue.

Last edited:

You can also email them and just let them know that you'll be out of the country then.

If you have your cell phone you will find out the day the decision is made, so no worries with the traveling. Just bring your cell.

I believe high priority/WL/reject is sent via email.

EDIT: Didn't see you said "country". Hope you have a global phone (like a blackberry) or if you don't just email them like Ilovewater said. Shouldn't be a major issue.

You can also email them and just let them know that you'll be out of the country then.

Yea, I emailed Dr. Brooks, thanks guys (or gals, its so hard to tell with these handles)

I guess I'll just hope I don't get an email notice from them, but rather a voice mail when i get back, lol

I'm likely withdrawing my acceptance from Jeff tomorrow. Jeff's a great place with great people, though. I hope my spot goes to an SDNer. Best of luck to everybody

Yup! :DThe actual second look day is Friday, April 30th but there's a reception dinner for accepted students the night before so they can meet the faculty and mingle with both old and new students. Friday is much more structured with information sessions on classes and stuff and a chance to check out the clinical rotations. Hope this helps!

Do the high-priority wait-listed people get invited to attend the second look?

Hey!
So I've been put on the HP waitlist (as I said earlier) and I've emailed Dr. Callahan a bunch of times and I just recently emailed Dr. Brooks. Basically what I've been saying is that Jefferson is my number one choice for medical school and how passionate I am about medicine, etc...Is there anything else anyone can recommend that I can do or say via email? I had my interview in January so I'm getting really anxious!
PS sorry if people have already asked/answered this same question...this thread is so long!
Thanks everyone :)

Just be patient. I'm sure if there were a lot of people getting in off the HP we would at least see a handful on here posting which we haven't. I, as well as someone else I know are HP as well from early Jan. and neither of us has been contacted. Wait until interview season is over before pushing the panic button.

Hey!
So I've been put on the HP waitlist (as I said earlier) and I've emailed Dr. Callahan a bunch of times and I just recently emailed Dr. Brooks. Basically what I've been saying is that Jefferson is my number one choice for medical school and how passionate I am about medicine, etc...Is there anything else anyone can recommend that I can do or say via email? I had my interview in January so I'm getting really anxious!
PS sorry if people have already asked/answered this same question...this thread is so long!
Thanks everyone :)

I'd say wait until May 15th to start worrying. There are many people probably (like my self) who are still figuring out medical school and holding on to acceptances. I was accepted to Jeff back last October but will *probably* withdraw. I won't do this until after second looks though.

Schools like Jeff have to worry about over-enrollment, so there won't be much movement until less than ~250 students are on the "accepted, but haven't withdrawn" list. This will be much smaller after May 15th. Good luck!

Anyone invited to interview understand that template they asked us to put our name, picture, phone number, etc in? They just sent me this power point with all these random boxes over the place and I feel like an idiot trying to figure it out.

Anyone invited to interview understand that template they asked us to put our name, picture, phone number, etc in? They just sent me this power point with all these random boxes over the place and I feel like an idiot trying to figure it out.

Import a photo into the photo box. Put your cell phone in the phone area at the bottom. Put your name at the top. Done.

I think all the other craziness is for them to fill out.

MDeast, are you going to Jeff or Mount Sinai 2nd visit?

I might go to the dinner on Thursday night....but I'm probably not going to the rest. Taking the train to NYC on Friday. I think Sinai has event from late afternoon Friday to afternoon Saturday. And, at this point, I'm more interested in attending Sinai than I am Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.