2009-2010 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Jeff's second look, anyone have ideas as to a proper dress code? We talking business casual, or would jeans and a nice top be appropriate?

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of Jeff's second look, anyone have ideas as to a proper dress code? We talking business casual, or would jeans and a nice top be appropriate?

Business casual. Unless you want to stand out from the 100 or so other students in attendance, do not wear jeans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping to hear something this week... is there a day in April that they have to let us know something?

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

Feels good not only to finally be "in", but also at a place I truly enjoyed in every way.

Are they finished inviting people for interviews? I know there are some interview dates left, but are they still extending invitations, or are those dates for people who have already been invited?

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

Feels good not only to finally be "in", but also at a place I truly enjoyed in every way.

That is awesome man, makes the wait wayyyyy more worthwhile eh? I suppose I will be seeing you there; this awesome school is looking like the place I am gonna end up at.

Members don't see this ad :)
so while i was told that my gpa is keeping me out.

i have a gut feeling that there was more.....

why?

because at the interview we were told it won't be our gpas keeping us out...

bad luck!

A little bit ago, I joined the Jeff 2014 FB group though I wasn't sure if I was going to go there b/c I'm OOS and have been accepted to two of my state schools. Still, I loved how super friendly and helpful everyone was at Jeff during my interview day but you know they have to make good impressions and all that so I was kind of skeptical. Lo and behold, less than 72 hours of being in the group, I got a message from a current student introducing himself, congratulating me and telling me to contact him if I had any questions or concerns or was still on the fence. It totally made my day and though this might not be the right place to post this:D I felt the need to share.

heyy does anyone know... if i havent heard anything at all from jefferson (except replies from dr brooks after sending update emails) does this mean i am silently rejected?

nope, called a few times throughout the year asking about the status of my app, but thats about all

Just got a call from Dean Callahan today- SCHOLARSHIP! Not full-ride or anything, but I'm super excited (as is my whole family). Good luck to those still waiting to hear- I'd love to have any of you as my future classmates :thumbup:

Just got a call from Dean Callahan today- SCHOLARSHIP! Not full-ride or anything, but I'm super excited (as is my whole family). Good luck to those still waiting to hear- I'd love to have any of you as my future classmates :thumbup:

merit scholarship?

Got the scholarship call today too! I'm so shocked! I love Jeff!

Me too! I was so shocked because I heard that Jefferson doesn't give out a lot of scholarships. So happy!

Congrats !

Did you guys submit parental information prior to receiving the scholarships? Thanks

Congrats !

Did you guys submit parental information prior to receiving the scholarships? Thanks

Yeah, FAFSA w/ parental info (it's required at Jeff to be considered for institutional aid), signed tax returns, and their institutional forms were completed. Also, I went to the financial aid workshop today and they are working on going through completed financial aid applications in the next few weeks once their tuition cost is finalized.

would some of you accepted folk mind sharing your stats?...or PM them to me...I just wana gauge where I stand

thanks!

I got the call for a scholarship as well. This definitely makes my decision harder

would some of you accepted folk mind sharing your stats?...or PM them to me...I just wana gauge where I stand

thanks!

When will the entire premed world realize that stats just don't matter that much.

if you got an interview... then ur good.

i'm pretty sure stats are never looked at again once you are offered an interview. and that's at most schools. unless you are extremely borderline.

if your interviewer liked u, u will get in. if not, then its waitlist/reject.

and i reallllllyyyyyy think that's all there is to it.

When will the entire premed world realize that stats just don't matter that much.

if you got an interview... then ur good.

i'm pretty sure stats are never looked at again once you are offered an interview. and that's at most schools. unless you are extremely borderline.

if your interviewer liked u, u will get in. if not, then its waitlist/reject.

and i reallllllyyyyyy think that's all there is to it.

Fair enough, but I;m not so sure stats are never looked at again, it may not be that the interview is just - your either recommended by the interviewer or not and based on that get in - I more so thought it was an evaluation, whereby after the interview, the adcom weighs the interview eval with the rest of your app - whatever either way, I guess I just would like to see where I do stand and if I am indeed borderline...not gonna hurt anyone by knowing

... not gonna force anyone to share

Fair enough, but I;m not so sure stats are never looked at again, it may not be that the interview is just - your either recommended by the interviewer or not and based on that get in - I more so thought it was an evaluation, whereby after the interview, the adcom weighs the interview eval with the rest of your app - whatever either way, I guess I just would like to see where I do stand and if I am indeed borderline...not gonna hurt anyone by knowing

... not gonna force anyone to share

I WISH the process was as you described it.

But people on the inside have intimated that it's more like how I described it.

It depends on the school though. I know for a fact that at SUNY Buffalo and Florida State it's as I described it.

I know that at SUNY Upstate they DO look at the whole application again.... and rate you holistically, but I believe the interview is weighted most heavily there.

Who knows. but no matter what the school claims or tries to do.... the interview is just going to have the greatest impact on the minds of the adcom. it's human nature.

like one of my friends who's going into finance... he prepared for his interviews like they were his mcat. he understood that a face to face interaction means more in the mind of the manager than any 4.0 or extra curricular on ur resume. For better or worse.. I'm really convinced that we judge people more on what they say than on what they did.

I remember someone on the interview day said that stats don't matter that much after you interview...maybe I'm imagining it. But, I honestly believe that stats aren't weighed heavily after the interview because it feels like they care more about the rest of your application and you as a person.

I remember someone on the interview day said that stats don't matter that much after you interview...maybe I'm imagining it. But, I honestly believe that stats aren't weighed heavily after the interview because it feels like they care more about the rest of your application and you as a person.

they may not matter ''much''
but if your interviewer doesn't gather anything interesting about you in an interview they rushed through, then yea, they do. for all the people who are saying they dont look at all at your academic record post-interview, i know from personal experience that they do. just because the person who invited you to interview didn't think it was bad, post-interview, individuals may very well ask questions and then choose to vote no. especially at jefferson where you're told to not talk about your stats, giving you no chance to explain them in case somebody wonders.

but if your interviewer doesn't gather anything interesting about you in an interview they rushed through, then yea, they do. for all the people who are saying they dont look at all at your academic record post-interview, i know from personal experience that they do. just because the person who invited you to interview didn't think it was bad, post-interview, individuals may very well ask questions and then choose to vote no. especially at jefferson where you're told to not talk about your stats, giving you no chance to explain them in case somebody wonders.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm sorry if I misinformed anyone.

Told not to talk about stats? I wasn't told this before my interview... lol. Nonetheless, stats didn't come up in my interview.

yea this makes sense. i thought that maybe they didn't want to tell me that they didn't like me, and so they said the the downward trend in my gpa wasn't boding well. didn't make sense to me as to why they invited me for an interview in the first place. but anywho. maybe they're getting many applicants with great stats totally into them at this point of the cycle.

Interview invite this morning for next week. Funny because I had a phone interview a few months ago about why they were not inviting me for an interview.

Interview invite this morning for next week. Funny because I had a phone interview a few months ago about why they were not inviting me for an interview.

congrats. I just got into jefferson and loved the school. Good luck and you should hear back really quickly. Their adcom meets every week.

congrats. I just got into jefferson and loved the school. Good luck and you should hear back really quickly. Their adcom meets every week.

when did you interview???

I interviewed last week. did you hear back.... today?

cuz I might lol. but it very well could be 2-3 weeks so it's all good.

interviewed 3/17, accepted 3/31 and there was no adcom meeting on 3/24 because of spring break.

good luck today and keep watching the phone. acceptance will be a phone call from Dr. Callahan

edit: phone call was later in the afternoon around 2:30 ish

interviewed 3/17, accepted 3/31 and there was no adcom meeting on 3/24 because of spring break.

good luck today and keep watching the phone. acceptance will be a phone call from Dr. Callahan

edit: phone call was later in the afternoon around 2:30 ish

Congrats! and thanks for the well wishes.

but actually now that i think about it... my interviewer was kind of like well you'll hear back in 1 week, or 2 weeks, or 3 weeks.

so i should really probably stop holding my breath lol. too many factors that could determine when i hear back.

Congrats! and thanks for the well wishes.

but actually now that i think about it... my interviewer was kind of like well you'll hear back in 1 week, or 2 weeks, or 3 weeks.

so i should really probably stop holding my breath lol. too many factors that could determine when i hear back.

your right about that i have heard of people being accepted 6 weeks post int from jeff

your right about that i have heard of people being accepted 6 weeks post int from jeff

At the cookie lunch I attended, I remember Dr. Brooks asking a bunch of interviewees who they were interviewed by, and then giving them a reasonable timeframe of when they will hear a decision based on past adcom attendance by the interviewer. I was told my interviewer attended weekly (although the following Wednesday, Philly was blanketed by that huge snowstorm), but the guy next to me was told 4-6 weeks b/c he was interviewed by a busy surgeon.

Ha, also holding my breath after interview last week...Good luck to you!

omg, interview invite for next week!
SO excited.
anyone have any idea whatsoever about how many seats they may have left open??
i LOVE jefferson.

Ha, also holding my breath after interview last week...Good luck to you!

u hear anything yet bruh?

i didn't.

for some reason i'm just assuming they couldn't come to a conclusion with regards to me. i am so spamming them with a new LOR this weekend.

omg, interview invite for next week!
SO excited.
anyone have any idea whatsoever about how many seats they may have left open??
i LOVE jefferson.

Not sure how many seats left.....but i know one thing that they stated explicitly during the introduction at my interview date. You will not be interviewing for a waitlist spot. If you get an interview you have a chance at a straight acceptance. I was accepted last week after interviewing in March so they have spots left.

Hey so does anyone on here have any experience emailing Callahan??

I interviewed last wednesday, and then sunday night i sent an email saying basically : ty for giving me the opportunity to interview, here are the things that i learned, y i loved my day.... didn't get a response.

however my email was acting a little funky that night.

so monday night i sent another one saying hey did you get my ty letter? still no response.

is it her policy to not answer emails but read them? this is totally understandable given that she prob gets ~100 emails a day.

but i have a feeling that it might not have been read... just cuz she is so swamped with emails.

should I try sending it to brooks? i would have to say i'm not sure if Callahan got this but it's a really sincere ty!! that might make me look like a box though.

Status
Not open for further replies.