2009-2010 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I hear that they are very involved but I'm not sure to what extent. It's like an extra interview on top of the other two! Any one else want to weigh in?

And congrats on your acceptance! JMC is such an awesome place!

I thought it was a great opportunity to make an impression. I talked to each of them for about 3-5 minutes each, but I don't think you need a long time to make an impression.

Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks read through all the applications and know every applicant in detail, so it may help them make a decision about you if they can put a face to the application.

However, it IS optional, so I doubt it would hinder your application if you didn't attend...it's just nice to have the opportunity to make that impression.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was a great opportunity to make an impression. I talked to each of them for about 3-5 minutes each, but I don't think you need a long time to make an impression.

Dr. Callahan and Dr. Brooks read through all the applications and know every applicant in detail, so it may help them make a decision about you if they can put a face to the application.

However, it IS optional, so I doubt it would hinder your application if you didn't attend...it's just nice to have the opportunity to make that impression.

:slap: :smack:

ohhhhhhh my dear little cutie pie ....:poke:

that is so expected of u!!!! :)
:cool:

how was exercise on friday nite ;)

when are we celebrating your official acceptance to jefferson (and more schools in 1 month) by buying me lunch :p

Thanks! I hear that they are very involved but I'm not sure to what extent. It's like an extra interview on top of the other two! Any one else want to weigh in?

And congrats on your acceptance! JMC is such an awesome place!

Dr. Brooks wasn't there at my cookie hour, and since every student wanted to make a great impression, Dr. Callahan talked to a circle of about 8-12 students. She tried to speak to each student a bit, but I really doubt my interactions at cookie hour had any influence on my acceptance.

Leaving early is not something I would worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Brooks wasn't there at my cookie hour, and since every student wanted to make a great impression, Dr. Callahan talked to a circle of about 8-12 students. She tried to speak to each student a bit, but I really doubt my interactions at cookie hour had any influence on my acceptance.

Leaving early is not something I would worry about.

There is a cookie hour??! Okay I NEED an interview here. Cookies!!!!

I volunteer at a HIV testing center about a block from Jefferson once a month, and I'm sitting here right now. Always reminds me of what an awesome area of the city Jeff is in and how much I liked my interview day. I don't think I'll end up matriculating here, but it's an awesome, awesome school.

Good luck to everyone.

jefferson is my only interview invite

and an amazing school

apparently i'm not so bad myself

i really hope i get in :$:):)

:slap: :smack:

ohhhhhhh my dear little cutie pie ....:poke:

that is so expected of u!!!! :)
:cool:

how was exercise on friday nite ;)

when are we celebrating your official acceptance to jefferson (and more schools in 1 month) by buying me lunch :p

We'll celebrate on March 15 ;)

is there anyone here who thinks they interviewed really well
but was waitlisted, instead of accepted?

is there anyone here who thinks they interviewed really well
but was waitlisted, instead of accepted?

With Jefferson's laid back interview style, I'm sure that almost everyone who is on the waitlist thought they did well. It's tough to tell, I hear!

I think its more likely to do with the fact that many people have good to decent interviews and don't get accepted. The interviews still only tell you so much.

i meant to ask this of individuals who have actually interviewed and waitlisted

did your interviewers say ''i think you'd be a really great fit for jefferson''
and then you found out you were waitlisted?

i meant to ask this of individuals who have actually interviewed and waitlisted

did your interviewers say ''i think you'd be a really great fit for jefferson''
and then you found out you were waitlisted?
I'm one of those people who happened to be told that thing during the interview and then got waitlisted. It seems that this happens to some people...unfortunatelly:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm one of those people who happened to be told that thing during the interview and then got waitlisted. It seems that this happens to some people...unfortunatelly:scared:

This was specifically at Jefferson?

This was specifically at Jefferson?

Even if it was, you should take the words from your interviewer with a grain of salt. The interview is only a certain part of the application process. It varies on a case by case basis.

Even if it was, you should take the words from your interviewer with a grain of salt. The interview is only a certain part of the application process. It varies on a case by case basis.

now if anyone who actually waitlisted would comment ... :(

now if anyone who actually waitlisted would comment ... :(

Why? What exactly do you think you would learn from such a post? Yes, it happens. An interviewer may think a candidate is a good fit for Jeff and the Adcom may - for any number of reasons - disagree. As someone noted above, the interview is only one of many factors considered in the admissions decision. How is a post saying "Yes, I was told I was a good fit for Jefferson, but was subsequently waitlisted" going to help you?

Last edited:
Why? What exactly do you think you would learn from such a post? Yes, it happens. An interviewer may think a candidate is a good fit for Jeff and the Adcom may - for any number of reasons - disagree. As someone noted above, the interview is only one of many factors considered in the admissions decision. How is a post saying "Yes, I was told I was a good fit for Jefferson, but was subsequently waitlisted" going to help you?

I was going to say, if the fate of your interview lied solely in your interviewer's opinion of you, what would the point of all of these grades, test scores, and EC's be?

To the person who asked, the best you can do is be yourself. Answer every question truthfully and hope the school sees you as good a fit as you see them.

don't know why everybody's getting so worked up about it

the reason i ask this is because dr. callahan actually says to the interviewees on the day of the interview that whatever got them to that point has got them there, and that they're all very worthy candidates. there will be no looking back to compare stats, nothing of the sort. and that the purpose of the interview is to determine if there is a good fit.

now my interviewer told me that i'd be a good fit.

i'm just wondering if this means thats it

or if there is anyone out here waitlisted who also heard the same

now.

for those who haven't been waitlisted, please ignore my question :D

don't know why everybody's getting so worked up about it

the reason i ask this is because dr. callahan actually says to the interviewees on the day of the interview that whatever got them to that point has got them there, and that they're all very worthy candidates. there will be no looking back to compare stats, nothing of the sort. and that the purpose of the interview is to determine if there is a good fit.

now my interviewer told me that i'd be a good fit.

i'm just wondering if this means thats it

or if there is anyone out here waitlisted who also heard the same

now.

for those who haven't been waitlisted, please ignore my question :D

sheiladoc a few posts up actually did answer your question btw...

yea but it was unconfirmed as to whether that was specifically at jefferson :)

i would think by posting a response to your question in a particular school's specific thread would confirm that, but i guess that's just how i took it

anyways i hope you get in off the waitlist

i get the feeling that for a school that accepts 65% post-interview, your chances should be good if you heard back from an interviewer positively. can't hurt anyways.

i would think by posting a response to your question in a particular school's specific thread would confirm that, but i guess that's just how i took it

anyways i hope you get in off the waitlist

yea thats how i wouldve taken it.
but judging by her past posts it didn't seem to follow

i'm not actually on the waitlist
i'm still waiting to hear back after my interview and wondering what to expect.

but good luck to everyone here! even through the waiting games.

question - have some people already started to withdraw their acceptance from this school? thereby opening more spots up earlier in the game? for people with multiple acceptances who don't plan on matriculating @ jeff... any plans of withdrawing soon?...

Last edited:
yea but it was unconfirmed as to whether that was specifically at jefferson :)

An interviewer may think a candidate is a good fit for their med school and the Adcom may disagree. As someone has already said, the interview is only one of the many factors considered in the admissions decision.
I have personally had an interview at UT Memphis where one of my interviewers told me that I would be a great asset to their school. I was waitlisted post-interview.
yes, it happens to be waitlisted after being told - by one interviewer- that you would be a great fit. I would not take the word of one interviewer as the Adcom's final decision.
This is my first post, hope I am not being too bold for a beginner :cool:

Hey all,
Any interview invites lately? How late does JMC's season go? Complete since end of Sept...Better to hear back anything than nothing at all. :(

Hey all,
Any interview invites lately? How late does JMC's season go? Complete since end of Sept...Better to hear back anything than nothing at all. :(

Dr. Callahan says the interview season goes all the way to April so the last invites will probably be sent out in the next few weeks. Hang in there, and good luck!

I've looked high and low for the email address of Dr. Brooks, both in this board and on the JMC website, but I haven't had success. Could someone post it or PM it to me?

I emailed admissions with a LOI and Dr. Callahan yesterday morning, but I haven't gotten more than a canned response. Is Dr. Callahan's address [email protected]? Normally, I wouldn't consider a 2-day turnaround to be slow, but from what I've heard, Dr. Callahan is very quick to respond to LOIs.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm sitting in my hotel about to walk to JMC's library. Philadelphia is a great city, you guys that have an upcoming interview will enjoy the area.

Jeff is done interviewing next week. Was there two weeks ago from today and they said they only had two more interview days left. They only interview on Wednesdays.

Jeff is done interviewing next week. Was there two weeks ago from today and they said they only had two more interview days left. They only interview on Wednesdays.

depressing....i don't get it didn't someone above say they originally had a date set up on 3/31? bummer....i wish they would just reject us already if they know they are done offering interviews :(

I am not sure if they are still offering invites, but I have a friend interviewing on 3/31.

yeahh, i'm scheduled to interview at jeff on 4/7...i certainly hope they're not done interviewing next week, lol. i also had the option of choosing 4/14 for my interview, so i'm not sure where all this conflicting info is coming from.

I've looked high and low for the email address of Dr. Brooks, both in this board and on the JMC website, but I haven't had success. Could someone post it or PM it to me?

I emailed admissions with a LOI and Dr. Callahan yesterday morning, but I haven't gotten more than a canned response. Is Dr. Callahan's address [email protected]? Normally, I wouldn't consider a 2-day turnaround to be slow, but from what I've heard, Dr. Callahan is very quick to respond to LOIs.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

hi tritown,

did you write a canned LOI?

I don't think this is right. Dr. Callahan made the point today the even people who interview on the 14th of April will have a good shot at acceptance. I like how she said no one is given a "courtesy interview". If you get an invitation, its because they believe you have what it takes to study medicine....

Dear emoh98,

No.

Regards,
tritown
:laugh:

On a more serious note, I spent quite a while on it.:)

then you should be fine.
when you say she sent you a "canned response" what exactly do you mean?

I don't think this is right. Dr. Callahan made the point today the even people who interview on the 14th of April will have a good shot at acceptance. I like how she said no one is given a "courtesy interview". If you get an invitation, its because they believe you have what it takes to study medicine....

i think that that's pretty cool too.
did she say anything about if spots are still open?
or if you'll be placed on a high-priority waitlist first until people (50% of which are expected to withdraw) will withdraw?

They probably meant they only were going to be inviting the last of their invites in the next couple of weeks

really not sure. the kid said they had two wednesdays left after ours and was kind of sad about it ending because Jefferson interview day is the only one in the country which is run by the students. I remember them saying they interview on an individual case basis after that...

really not sure. the kid said they had two wednesdays left after ours and was kind of sad about it ending because Jefferson interview day is the only one in the country which is run by the students. I remember them saying they interview on an individual case basis after that...

The student interview host said the same thing at my interview, but he specified that he only had one more interview left with this particular group of people. I think after that they were bringing in new students to carry on the tradition. Callahan said specifically that they interview out to April and all interviews are the same, they don't suggest that earlier interviewees were any better than later ones.

I recently interviewed and had written thank you notes to my interviewer, Brooks, and Callahan. Would it seem impatient/pushy to email another letter of interest about a week later if I don't hear back? Please advise me!

I recently interviewed and had written thank you notes to my interviewer, Brooks, and Callahan. Would it seem impatient/pushy to email another letter of interest about a week later if I don't hear back? Please advise me!

I think you pretty much covered your bases there. I would just wait for a decision and it if is a HP WL, then write the LOI. But that's just me...

I think you pretty much covered your bases there. I would just wait for a decision and it if is a HP WL, then write the LOI. But that's just me...

I agree, they're probably just waiting for your interviewer to show up to an admissions committee meeting before they render a decision, so there's no need for additional letters.

Also, as an aside, have you been to Costa Rica or are from there? I know "Pura Vida" is a popular expression there. I've been lucky enough to visit once, and loved the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.