2008-2009 University of Alabama Birmingham Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how long it takes them to make a decision regarding whether they will offer an interview?

I'd say it depends mostly on if you're IS or OOS. I'm IS and got an interview about 3 weeks after submitting the secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure. They're pretty biased for IS applicants, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am IS and I just got my interview request today! I am super excited! Although, I was worried for a little while when my status went to "remain under consideration for interview". That only lasted for two days (sat & sun) though. I am so relieved.

I am IS and I just got my interview request today! I am super excited! Although, I was worried for a little while when my status went to "remain under consideration for interview". That only lasted for two days (sat & sun) though. I am so relieved.

How long ago were you complete?

How long ago were you complete?

Submitted secondary and other documents - november 6
Status change: "Secondary complete and under review" - november 19
Status change: "remain under consideration" - december 6
Interview invitation: December 8

I was complete on 09/01 and was invited to interview 09/18. Interviewed on 10/02. Still waiting to hear. "Campus Choices Received"

I was complete on 09/01 and was invited to interview 09/18. Interviewed on 10/02. Still waiting to hear. "Campus Choices Received"

Wonder what is means if I've been complete and under review since late October with no status updates...

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation, VanBrown. 10/9 interview, though. I think they're only taking superstars right now and will get to the rest of us soon enough. :laugh:

vanbrown and chemnerd, if you dont mind, could you tell me what your stats are? as in gpa and mcat score.

vanbrown and chemnerd, if you dont mind, could you tell me what your stats are? as in gpa and mcat score.

31M 3.95 cGPA, BCPM

-I don't have the best ECs

30N, 3.4 GPA
shadowing, volunteer at hospital and clinic, coach soccer, worked full-time to help support family while undergrad, 1yr neuropharm research, 2 years working R&D at a biotech company.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys! i hope both you get accepted, good luck!

I'm in the same situation, VanBrown. 10/9 interview, though. I think they're only taking superstars right now and will get to the rest of us soon enough. :laugh:

That may well be the case but I can't get anything out of my references or connections to UAB so I don't know. I have, however, been told that a few years ago the class was almost over-subscribed at the time of matriculation (big no, no for a state school) and they have been holding back a bit since then (only 7 accepted off of waitlist). I tend to recall a very large number of OOS folks at my interview as well but I am not sure what that indicates.

Wonder what is means if I've been complete and under review since late October with no status updates...

I would definitely call them. No updates since oct is stupid.

I would definitely call them. No updates since oct is stupid.

It is pretty disconcerting. I know somebody who just got in, so don't get too worked up. Let me know what they say if you call, though.

i just got in on friday, and i have another friend who is in state who also found out via email on friday. good luck everybody! :)

whowhatme03 if you don't mind me asking, what were you and your friends mcat scores and gpas? Are you OOS?

35S, 3.58GPA 3.5BCMP.. not sure what my friend's GPA was, but I was MIT, she went to Emory.

Edit: we both went to the same HS in state, so we are considered ISS

Just checking up on this thread; has anybody else found out about acceptances, and has anybody gotten their campus assignment yet? I got Bham (yay!)

35S, 3.58GPA 3.5BCMP.. not sure what my friend's GPA was, but I was MIT, she went to Emory.

Edit: we both went to the same HS in state, so we are considered ISS

Just checking up on this thread; has anybody else found out about acceptances, and has anybody gotten their campus assignment yet? I got Bham (yay!)

Nothing here. I hope they make some decisions this week, though.

yeah still nothing here but I am not surprised. I don't think they will get rolling with admissions again until next week...

I interviewed October 9th and was accepted Dec 5th... Bham campus assignment (yay!)

i interviewed 10/9 also! bham campus assignment.

I just got an email from UAB inviting me to the 2009 Dean's Medical Student Recruiting Event on April 3-4. Will anyone here be attending?

I just got an email from UAB inviting me to the 2009 Dean's Medical Student Recruiting Event on April 3-4. Will anyone here be attending?
didn't receive that email...

I also interviewed 10/9..and was accepted 10/10...UTnut how did you found out about the scholarship? Through email or regular mail? Congrats

I also interviewed 10/9..and was accepted 10/10...UTnut how did you found out about the scholarship? Through email or regular mail? Congrats

I got a letter last friday in the mail with the scholarship details, then received an email earlier this week.

I got a letter last friday in the mail with the scholarship details, then received an email earlier this week.

Hey congrats on the scholarship. Did you have to apply for it? Do you know if in state applicants are considered for similar scholarships?

I'm not sure who is considered for the merit scholarships. My guess is that they were trying to make the tuition somewhat competitive with the instate amount. Even with the scholarship it's about 40k more than the Texas school I'm considering. Kind of scary.

Oh, and I didn't apply for it, but I do remember receiving information regarding other scholarships back in December sometime.

Good luck to those still waiting, hope to see you in the fall!

Hi all,

I got a last minute interview as OOS, I urgently need help as to which hotel to stay at. Thanks!

James,
I stayed at UAB Medical Center Inn, which was inexpensive but a bit run-down and a little shadier than I would have liked. It was about a 100yd drive to one of the campus parking lots, then probably a five-minute walk to Volker Hall.

There are nicer hotels located closer to the school, I believe.

I stayed at the Doubletree in downtown Birmingham. It's kind of expensive, but you can walk to Volker Hall pretty easily.

btw The Alabama Schools Part 2 thread in Pre-Allopathic is a lot more active than this one.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362315

I would agree that Doubletree would be your best option, especially for that part of downtown.

Also - UTnut - I just found out I will be attending to Dean's Medical Recruiting Event as well! Just received an email today.

Has anyone started to look into apartments yet? Any recommendations?

Has anyone started to look into apartments yet? Any recommendations?

hey chemnerd, i would suggest joining the UASOM class of 2013 facebook group. there's a lot of people posting tips for apt searching and looking for roommates

Status
Not open for further replies.