2008-2009 UC Davis Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quiet over the weekend. I thought that they might send out rejection emails on Saturday. Anyone have news to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I just got accepted! Ed just called me at 10AM. I interviewed Jan 27th. Hope I'm not the only one today! I'm pretty sure I'm not the last one for this application period though. Best wishes to you all.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just got accepted! Ed just called me at 10AM. I interviewed Jan 27th. Hope I'm not the only one today! But I'm pretty sure I'm not the last one for this application period. Best wishes to you all.

I interviewed with you! Congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/11, called the admissions office today. Apparently still "under review" but they said it's "very likely" that I'll be waitlisted or rejected :(

hey runamok, does that mean the # of acceptances is almost done? what about the ppl who interviewed later like me =/...

Interviewed 2/11, called the admissions office today. Apparently still "under review" but they said it's "very likely" that I'll be waitlisted or rejected :(
This is the same admissions office that told us almost two weeks ago that they were done Dec and Jan acceptances. Nobody with a Feb interview or later has posted on SDN that they have been accepted. I find it highly unlikely that they have sent out many feb acceptances. Seems to me that they are just getting frustrated with all the phone calls and are giving negative responses.

This is the same admissions office that told us almost two weeks ago that they were done Dec and Jan acceptances. Nobody with a Feb interview or later has posted on SDN that they have been accepted. I find it highly unlikely that they have sent out many feb acceptances. Seems to me that they are just getting frustrated with all the phone calls and are giving negative responses.

Actually, some people have posted of early February acceptances (see Calgirl's (sp?) post about her friend who got accepted from a Feb. interview a while ago).

I don't understand why Davis won't notify people it has rejected post-interview, even as it calls acceptees and emails waitlists. Is it too much of an effort to bother notifying candidates that it has deemed unworthy? :mad:

hey runamok, does that mean the # of acceptances is almost done? what about the ppl who interviewed later like me =/...

Sorry, but I don't know, they wouldn't say if the class is full.

Fizzle, you made a very honest comment. Trust me, I have been rejected by many schools and it seems that if you are not "really" being considered then you are "really" ignored.. I interviewed at Davis early February and although it is my top choice I am not expecting good news and that's okay. I will be in school in the fall and I feel very fortunate.:oops:

Actually, some people have posted of early February acceptances (see Calgirl's (sp?) post about her friend who got accepted from a Feb. interview a while ago).

I don't understand why Davis won't notify people it has rejected post-interview, even as it calls acceptees and emails waitlists. Is it too much of an effort to bother notifying candidates that it has deemed unworthy? :mad:

yes, my friend who interviewed a week after me (mine was Jan 26) got in the same day I did (March 2).

for those of you waiting, this may be some sort of consolation..another friend of mine who interviewed a week before I did in mid January just got a call from Ed yesterday offering her an acceptance!

Does anyone know what the deal with Second look is? When does the weekend start friday or sat and how long does it go through Saturday?

Does anyone know what the deal with Second look is? When does the weekend start friday or sat and how long does it go through Saturday?

The second look event is only a single day; Friday for the Rural-PRIME folk, and on Saturday for the regular MD folk. They've emailed out the itinerary to people over the past few days, if you haven't yet received the email I'd suggest calling the admissions office (you're not the only one!).

I think you are spot-on about them getting frustrated. I called today and asked if my file had gone to committee yet (since other SDNers were seemingly able to get this question answered). A very annoyed voice said, "If you haven't been notified, then no decision has been made".

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I called again today and asked if my file had gone to committee yet (since other SDNers were seemingly able to get this question answered). A very annoyed voice said, "If you haven't been notified, then no decision has been made".

Call Ed directly next time. Other people in the office seem annoyed by phone calls in general, but Ed is helpful. You can find his direct number on their website.

I interviewed Feb 18th and was accepted April 13th. I hope this info helps with those of you still waiting. Good luck!

It seems that acceptance phone calls are being made several days a week now. I interviewed 2/2, and was accepted today, 4/24. Good luck to everyone else still waiting on Davis.

I interviewed 2/4 and was accepted today 4/24 . I had all but given up hope, so if you are still waiting hang in there.

Congrats guys! Were the phone calls in the morning?

Call Ed directly next time. Other people in the office seem annoyed by phone calls in general, but Ed is helpful. You can find his direct number on their website.

Thank you for the tip, CreativeScience. I called Ed this morning to ask if my file had gone to committee yet. He said, "Your file has been reviewed but the Committee is still sorting out decisions. You will receive notice soon that you have either been waitlisted or rejected." I guess he meant that they're still sorting out waitlist vs. rejection decisions?

I then told my friend, let's call her Meg. She decided to call as well and her response was (paraphrasing): "The committee just got out of a meeting. Your file was looked at during the meeting, however the committee did not reach a decision." So Meg, who interviewed in early December, is still under consideration.

Good luck to everyone attending Davis in the fall and all those still waiting!

Last edited:
I didn't get a waitlist email either... and didn't want to wait for the rejection email so I called them yesterday.

According the them I am "Still in Review" no decision has been made at date.... so there is a forth option.

And YES rejections will be coming via email they said, not snail mail.

Yep, there's definitely a 4th option...I interviewed in Dec. and called Ed today re: my status. He said that there was a recent committee meeting, I was discussed, and no decision has been made about me yet. Then he asked about my Davis course requirements. This left me sooooo confused :confused: ! But, I suppose it's good news that he didn't mention waitlist or rejection?

So I just called Ed too for the first time since davis is the last decision I am waiting for. He told me that my file has been discussed and no decision was made and that they are still sorting out the stuff, and probably won't hear till may 15 or end of may . I then asked him what kind of decision can it be and he said it could be accept, WL, or reject. Best of luck to all of us.

Edit: I interviewed on 2/20

Last edited:
So I just called Ed too for the first time since davis is the last decision I am waiting for. He told me that my file has been discussed and no decision was made and that they are still sorting out the stuff, and probably won't hear till may 15 or end of may . I then asked him what kind of decision can it be and he said it could be accept, WL, or reject. Best of luck to all of us.

Edit: I interviewed on 2/20

I emailed Ed yesterday and he basically told me that I could exptect to hear something by the end of May. That would be almost a full six month wait....

I was waitlisted last week, along with a lot of others apparently. (I interviewed in January). Since they are still accepting applicants outright and seem to have many February and March applications still to process, does that mean that I (and all the others waitlisted), have very little chance of getting in? :( Does anybody have an idea how much of a chance one has on the waitlist?
Hoping we all get in...

I was waitlisted last week, along with a lot of others apparently. (I interviewed in January). Since they are still accepting applicants outright and seem to have many February and March applications still to process, does that mean that I (and all the others waitlisted), have very little chance of getting in? :( Does anybody have an idea how much of a chance one has on the waitlist?
Hoping we all get in...

I think your chances are still high. I had a friend in off the waitlist a week before classes started a few years back. I don't know the specific numbers though, sorry. Did you get an email notifying you of waitlist? Did your status page change?

Best of luck!

Hoping we all get in...

I don't have the exact numbers but I remember that they interview around 500 - 550 applicants and from those they will eventually take about half to fill the class so like 250. I think the initial acceptances are around 150 if I remembered correctly; anways, I think people have a decent chance to get off the WL. Lets say they reject 100 of the 550, you have 450 left and then there's the 150 accepted so you have 300 left. 300 people on the WL and they accept 100 is ~1/3 so that's a pretty good ratio in my opinion. Good luck with the WL! I will probably be joining you soon; hopefully it's a WL if it's not an acceptance cuz the last one would suck...

In response to talbo and RSwim, I did receive an email notifying me that I had been put on the waitlist. However, I do not have any update to my application status page. I'm wondering if they have abandoned the portal for this year, unless anyone else is getting updates to their application status page...
Wishing all of us still waiting (to hear or waitlisted) could get in.

E-mail response from Ed:

The applicants interviewed in December offered admission to the medical school have been notified. The Admissions Cmte. is sorting out the remaining decisions to notify applicants of wait-list or not accept status. Our hope is that those decisions will be made on or before May 15. Thank you for your continued patience and interest in our medical school.

Here's to hoping for a waitlist!!! :scared:

I don't have the exact numbers but I remember that they interview around 500 - 550 applicants and from those they will eventually take about half to fill the class so like 250. I think the initial acceptances are around 150 if I remembered correctly; anways, I think people have a decent chance to get off the WL. Lets say they reject 100 of the 550, you have 450 left and then there's the 150 accepted so you have 300 left. 300 people on the WL and they accept 100 is ~1/3 so that's a pretty good ratio in my opinion. Good luck with the WL! I will probably be joining you soon; hopefully it's a WL if it's not an acceptance cuz the last one would suck...

Let's assume that the chances of acceptance after wait list is 1/3, like talbo says. The total chance of acceptance, which includes either an outright acceptance or off the waitlist, is 1/2. This is based on 250 acceptances out of 500 interviews.

So that means the chance of outright acceptance is total acceptance - waitlist acceptance or 1/2 - 1/3 = 1/6. Which is pretty slim. :(

E-mail response from Ed:

The applicants interviewed in December offered admission to the medical school have been notified. The Admissions Cmte. is sorting out the remaining decisions to notify applicants of wait-list or not accept status. Our hope is that those decisions will be made on or before May 15. Thank you for your continued patience and interest in our medical school.

Here's to hoping for a waitlist!!! :scared:

I take it then that those of us still waiting for a response are looking at either rejection or the bottom part of the waitlist, considering that the adcom is trying to decide between the two.

Let's assume that the chances of acceptance after wait list is 1/3, like talbo says. The total chance of acceptance, which includes either an outright acceptance or off the waitlist, is 1/2. This is based on 250 acceptances out of 500 interviews.

So that means the chance of outright acceptance is total acceptance - waitlist acceptance or 1/2 - 1/3 = 1/6. Which is pretty slim. :(

Hmm... I think u made a mathematical error, outright acceptance should be 150/500 so like 3/10. The 1/2 acceptance is prob(acceptance|waitlist), prob(accept|non-accept decision first time around) is 100/500 so it should be 1/2 - 1/5 = 3/10. 3/10 sounds better than 1/6.

Sorry to nitpick

I take it then that those of us still waiting for a response are looking at either rejection or the bottom part of the waitlist, considering that the adcom is trying to decide between the two.

I think Ed's email means the remaining December interviewees are either waitlisted or rejected, not all of the remaining interviewees...right? yes? hopefully?

Hey guys. So I talked to Ed this past weekend and he told me that there are still "some" acceptances being considered, there is movement on the wait-list after May 15th, and some (more than 5 but less than 10) of the accepted students I spoke with are still in the "deciding" phase so they might drop out. Also, from Ed's mouth to my fingers, the problems with decisions being sent out and stuff are from IT not adcom (but then a med student I spoke with said otherwise so i guess that infos moot). Just FYI since you guys provided so much info to me this app season. Best of luck.

Hey guys. So I talked to Ed this past weekend and he told me that there are still "some" acceptances being considered, there is movement on the wait-list after May 15th, and some (more than 5 but less than 10) of the accepted students I spoke with are still in the "deciding" phase so they might drop out. Also, from Ed's mouth to my fingers, the problems with decisions being sent out and stuff are from IT not adcom (but then a med student I spoke with said otherwise so i guess that infos moot). Just FYI since you guys provided so much info to me this app season. Best of luck.

Are you talking "some" as overall or "some" December/January interviews? There seems to be a disconnect on this thread right now between what Ed is saying in regards to those who interviewed in Dec/Jan and those the interviewed later.

Are you talking "some" as overall or "some" December/January interviews? There seems to be a disconnect on this thread right now between what Ed is saying in regards to those who interviewed in Dec/Jan and those the interviewed later.

Sorry when I asked him it was "are you accepting any more students at the moment" and he said "some are still being considered" Sorry I wasnt more specific with my question RSwim.

Just talked to Terri Hall, she says acceptances are still being offered for people who interviewed in mid-Feb

Thanks for the info, runamok. That makes me feel a *little* bit better! Interviewed in mid-February so have been crossing my fingers!

well we broke the 1000 post mark. Nice! Also interviewed in Feb. Feb 9th? anyone heard anything from Feb 9th? lets hope that is "mid" :)

Hey, I interviewed on the 10th. I have not heard a peep. Maybe this will be our week. Good Luck:luck:

Feb 13th here, no news yet. Good luck everyone!

Hey, I interviewed on the 10th. I have not heard a peep. Maybe this will be our week. Good Luck:luck:

Me2. I interviewed on 2/10 and I called Ed last week he said my file was not yet reviewed. He said I may hear by may 15th but by end of May for certain. *sigh* ..and the waiting continues.....

20 weeks today post interview with no news. I just hope a possible rejection comes after an acceptance from another school at this point.

I withdrew today... I hope that my spot goes to one of you, especially if UC Davis is your top choice. Good luck everyone!

I withdrew today... I hope that my spot goes to one of you, especially if UC Davis is your top choice. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the message of hope, VManForever! I know several of us still waiting to hear back since our Dec interviews hold UCD as a top choice (myself included), so hopefully Davis gives us a chance!!

Thanks for the message of hope, VManForever! I know several of us still waiting to hear back since our Dec interviews hold UCD as a top choice (myself included), so hopefully Davis gives us a chance!!

:soexcited:YAY! Interviewed on Dec. 17th and received acceptance today! :soexcited:

Congrats, renae! This news gives all of us hope!! Did Ed call you directly?

Yep, he called my house and cell, both of which i missed. Then I got a letter from Michelle about revisit day on May 8-9, so I knew it was good news :)

I usually don't post any comments however, I read this forum everyday.

News for me today.... I am on the waitlist for UC Davis. I wonder if there is a high chance of getting off the alternate list. I recieved the email this morning. FYI Interviewed first week of Feb

Good Luck to everyone

Yep, he called my house and cell, both of which i missed. Then I got a letter from Michelle about revisit day on May 8-9, so I knew it was good news :)

wait... are there two revisit days? i thought it was last saturday....

Hey everyone:

Just curious... do you know of any post-interview rejections sent out yet???

I heard:

1. They will be sent out via email
2. A friend of mine who is a first year there said YES they have sent out post-interview rejections....

Can anyone else confirm her comment?

:soexcited:YAY! Interviewed on Dec. 17th and received acceptance today! :soexcited:

I thought the Dec 17th interview day was the one that was cancelled and everyone was rescheduled for?? Maybe that was the 18th ? I don't remember the specifics, except for the useless flight across the country :) Anyways, Congrats, hopefully this is the beginning of a set of invites soon to come our way!

Status
Not open for further replies.