2008-2009 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry to hear that :(

from what i understand, the alternate list is tapped after the high priority alternate list is exhausted and they don't move people between lists. the impression i got during interview day was that they dig about 2/3 of the way into the HPA list and haven't had to go to the alternate list for the past few years.

I'm on hold too, but how can I tell which list I'm on? Is there special verbage in the response?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on hold too, but how can I tell which list I'm on? Is there special verbage in the response?

strange, your MDApps says you were accepted

at interview day they made the distinction between "high priority alternate list" and "alternate list" ...i'm guessing the email would use the same language to make the distinction but i'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I initially got HPA'd, it's very clear what list you are on. If I remember correctly, it's in the first line or two!

I'm guessing he received a hold pre-interview? If it just say "Hold" then you are on the non-HPA list (the one that is lower ranked).

yeah saipan have you been accepted or are you on hold?

Sorry...that was my bad. I made a mistake in my posting...I thought I was posting to the Albany thread. I tried to cancel sending it. Yes, I was accepted by Upstate. I apologize for throwing everyone off.

Question for those High Priority Alternate people (and for waitlisted people in general, and anyone else who has an opinion!)...

I'm on the HPAL as well, and I'm a been there done that member (last year, waitlisted at 2 *other* schools). Last year, I respected their initial, vague request not to contact them at all inquiring about position/interest/etc. unless there were significant changes.

I did not get in last year, and I do NOT intend to be complacent about it this year. I've had several people whose opinions I trust advise me to be "politely persistent" with the schools, to show my true level of interest and keep me actively blinking on their radar screens.

The question is, HOW does one do this? If I call their admissions phone #, I get the secretary who doesn't even want to know my name, let alone answer my questions about the waitlist etc. How do I 1. reach someone who will make note of my call, and 2. come up with something to tell them each time I call?

The question is, HOW does one do this? If I call their admissions phone #, I get the secretary who doesn't even want to know my name, let alone answer my questions about the waitlist etc. How do I 1. reach someone who will make note of my call, and 2. come up with something to tell them each time I call?

Its hard to get people to know and remember your name. Of course, making face-to-face appearances to ask your questions is ideal, but impractical for most traveling people. Since I have been traveling far for my interviews so far, one thing I made sure I did was to drop by the admissions office and get friendly with the staff: ask some general questions to strike up conversations, and not leave until I had some names and numbers/emails.

Aside from that, its a good idea to submit something in writing (not email) which will probably end up in your file. When it comes down to it, there is very little that admissions can find out about us. Do grades, MCATs and some letters of rec (from people that we picked) tell the whole story about a person? I don't think so. If I were running admissions, I'd want to collect every bit of information that I could that adds insight into who we are, and what makes us tick--this would definitely include all written communications (as well as google searchs, facebook,etc...). Pay no attention to admissions people who say sending in stuff is "discouraged". As a policy they just don't want to get inundated useless paper from everyone. So I think you should try to get that piece of paper in the file, because it goes everywhere the file does. That being said, make sure the letter is saying something of substance. The Adcom people have pretty sensitive BS meters.

Its hard to get people to know and remember your name. Of course, making face-to-face appearances to ask your questions is ideal, but impractical for most traveling people. Since I have been traveling far for my interviews so far, one thing I made sure I did was to drop by the admissions office and get friendly with the staff: ask some general questions to strike up conversations, and not leave until I had some names and numbers/emails.

Aside from that, its a good idea to submit something in writing (not email) which will probably end up in your file. When it comes down to it, there is very little that admissions can find out about us. Do grades, MCATs and some letters of rec (from people that we picked) tell the whole story about a person? I don't think so. If I were running admissions, I'd want to collect every bit of information that I could that adds insight into who we are, and what makes us tick--this would definitely include all written communications (as well as google searchs, facebook,etc...). Pay no attention to admissions people who say sending in stuff is "discouraged". As a policy they just don't want to get inundated useless paper from everyone. So I think you should try to get that piece of paper in the file, because it goes everywhere the file does. That being said, make sure the letter is saying something of substance. The Adcom people have pretty sensitive BS meters.

Hafa Adai, Saipan! I heard there was a new offshore med school starting up on Saipan? Do you know anything about that?

Hafa Adai, Saipan! I heard there was a new offshore med school starting up on Saipan? Do you know anything about that?

Hafa adolly!
Wow, I didn't know about that. I just looked it up..U of Loyola? and in the Nauru bldg too...that's awesome...unfortunately its too late to apply...

This is some great advice but i would caution you about taking it too far. First of all...in terms of the advice in the first paragraph, it's great but you have to be good at connecting with people in that kind of situation. if you look at him MDapps SaipanRocks has a MBA which tells me that his interpersonal skills are top notch... if yours aren't as refined I would suggest you reconsider getting TOO friendly with the admissions staff because it might come off as insincere.

Definitely send in a letter with an update and which expresses your interest in the school if you haven't done so already. You really should have done this after your interview and before they made a decision on your file. Noone at upstate discoraged sending an update and they even mentioned that we SHOULD send one. I'm unsure how much weight this would carry after being waitlisted though, but certainly if you are lucky enough and they get to your name on the waitlist, expressing your continued interest in the school will definitely be a plus.

Holy $%#&!! I just got an email from Jennifer Welch saying "First of all, let me say Congratulations on your acceptance to SUNY Upstate Medical University!" then going on about the summer anatomy program. I haven't gotten a phone call yet. I hope this isn't some cruel joke/mistake! Anybody else have this happen???

Holy $%#&!! I just got an email from Jennifer Welch saying "First of all, let me say Congratulations on your acceptance to SUNY Upstate Medical University!" then going on about the summer anatomy program. I haven't gotten a phone call yet. I hope this isn't some cruel joke/mistake! Anybody else have this happen???

it is not a cruel joke. I just got the same email. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)

hahaha...nice! interesting way to find out that you got in.

i got the same email but was accepted over a month ago so the email is definitely legit.

congrats!

hahaha...nice! interesting way to find out that you got in.

i got the same email but was accepted over a month ago so the email is definitely legit.

congrats!
Thanks man! Now I'm just waiting for the phone to ring!

I just received a call from SUNY Upstate as well. The email was sent out before the acceptance letters :)

be sure to act surprised

or alternatively you can say "i've been expecting your call" :D
Hahaha. Just got the call! How can they expect me to stay in the office for the next 2 hours???

Haha, nice work! When did you folks interview?

Same thing here! I actually won't believe it though until I get the actual phone call/letter confirming that I've been accepted! LOL :thumbup:

Edit: Ok, just checked my voicemail. It's confirmed. I'm in!!!!

Last edited:
Congrats to those of you who got the call. I'm waiting, hoping, praying mine will come on tuesday. I interviewed on 1/5. I know the decision has been made, just have to see what it is. No emails... no news is good news for me at this point.

If I get in there's a 90 % chance I will attend. What about those of you who are in? Is this where you want to go?

Congrats to those accepted! Some friendly advice... Go somewhere ELSE so I can get in off the waitlist! Thanks! (j/k)

Congrats to those of you who got the call. I'm waiting, hoping, praying mine will come on tuesday. I interviewed on 1/5. I know the decision has been made, just have to see what it is. No emails... no news is good news for me at this point.

If I get in there's a 90 % chance I will attend. What about those of you who are in? Is this where you want to go?
I'm pretty sure I'll be attending. The combination of a great program (from what I hear from the docs I work with, etc) and the low tuition for state residents pretty much seals the deal. Plus SU basketball! GO 'Cuse!

I'm pretty sure I'll be attending. The combination of a great program (from what I hear from the docs I work with, etc) and the low tuition for state residents pretty much seals the deal. Plus SU basketball! GO 'Cuse!

no deals on the tix! kinda lame. When I was first thinking about upstate I figured there would be.

Our tour guides said their class officers got them a deal for one game at least, Georgetown at home.

ugh, I thought for sure I would have heard something good or bad today, since the 12/16 people heard yesterday...

Still, no emails, status page is still blank. One person who posted from my interview had an email decision on friday, albeit not the one he/she wanted.

From everything I've read on this ongoing post, seems like the turn around for notification after the status page clears is 2 days. I don't want to bother them, but I'm wondering if maybe I should call the office tomorrow. Anybody in the same boat or have any thoughts?

--thanks

:cool: as I was typing this, I got a phone call from a 516 area code. Figured it might be it....... annnnnnnnnnd it was friggin' Geico. That was a low blow ;)

pre-interview hold--> status change to decision made --> no mail, no call --> status reverts back to blank

= rejection?

ugh, I thought for sure I would have heard something good or bad today, since the 12/16 people heard yesterday...

Still, no emails, status page is still blank. One person who posted from my interview had an email decision on friday, albeit not the one he/she wanted.

From everything I've read on this ongoing post, seems like the turn around for notification after the status page clears is 2 days. I don't want to bother them, but I'm wondering if maybe I should call the office tomorrow. Anybody in the same boat or have any thoughts?

--thanks

:cool: as I was typing this, I got a phone call from a 516 area code. Figured it might be it....... annnnnnnnnnd it was friggin' Geico. That was a low blow ;)

Same here Conky. I think I've had the longest wait of anyone so far (interview date was 11/24) and no emails/calls/letters since the status page changed last week. Waiting definitely sucks...

pre-interview hold--> status change to decision made --> no mail, no call --> status reverts back to blank

= rejection?

If they didn't send you an email to schedule an interview then probably. bummer.

Same here Conky. I think I've had the longest wait of anyone so far (interview date was 11/24) and no emails/calls/letters since the status page changed last week. Waiting definitely sucks...

That is a long wait, I'm sorry.

I actually wasn't expecting my status page to change on friday, but now I'm just wondering about the decision since it has supposedly been made. The fact that you didn't hear yesterday or even friday is strange, I was hoping they were notifying the earliest interviewees first.

they won't tell you anything useful if you call them and they definitely won't tell you your decision.

they won't tell you anything useful if you call them and they definitely won't tell you your decision.

what about if we haven't even gotten an interview

Yeah, I know they won't tell me the actual decision, but maybe when I can expect to hear? A previous poster said they called the office on friday and learned that the calls would be doled out anywhere from that day to tuesday.

what about if we haven't even gotten an interview

no clue then

Yeah, I know they won't tell me the actual decision, but maybe when I can expect to hear? A previous poster said they called the office on friday and learned that the calls would be doled out anywhere from that day to tuesday.

i guess no harm in trying but you could've figured that out by just looking through earlier posts in this thread

whatever, tomorrow is another day i guess.

Well, the wait is over at least. To those of you who recall, I interviewed on 11/24 and have been in limbo ever since. No longer. Received my rejection letter in the mail today :( Pretty much committed to Downstate now (though I have a waitlist at Stony Brook).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Well, the wait is over at least. To those of you who recall, I interviewed on 11/24 and have been in limbo ever since. No longer. Received my rejection letter in the mail today :( Pretty much committed to Downstate now (though I have a waitlist at Stony Brook).

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

I'm glad that you have the downstate acceptance :thumbup:.

I didn't know they sent out rejection letters to the interview pool. Thought the hold wait list was basically the rejection group. Great... potentially something worse to look forward to.

Oh no. I just looked at my email, and the decision is already there: waitlist. And it's the BAD waitlist (Hold by Committee Alternate List), the one they say they never get to.

Has anyone ever managed to get off the bad waitlist onto the good one? I would really appreciate some advice here.

i'm stuck on that list as well. but, i'm going to see what i can manage to get in:luck: maybe some luck? lol

how were all of you notified about your wait list status? My page still confirms my "invite to interview" which i had a month ago..... did your status page change?

got my thin letter today. devastated. One more interview at albany on the 5th. not hopeful.

Thanks! im having trouble finding the status though. where would it be located? maybe it disappeared cus i am on pre-int hold as well. :thumbdown:

did it say hold on that page before? at the bottom? If it did, and then it disappeared, then I would guess its a rejection. If not, then you are still on hold.

Anyway, they should be pretty quick with the email for the interview if they pull you off the hold list.

did it say hold on that page before? at the bottom? If it did, and then it disappeared, then I would guess its a rejection. If not, then you are still on hold.

Anyway, they should be pretty quick with the email for the interview if they pull you off the hold list.

I've been checking every so often, and I never saw a hold. I just see "requirements" and listed LORs that they have received. I got the hold email awhile back though (Oct i think...) Oh well, I will just continue to wait. Thanks!

hey guys quick question
I have an interview coming up this month and was wondering what the acceptance rate is for people with interviews? About 50% you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.