2008-2009 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lukewarm news today. I got an email saying that I was placed on the High Priority Alternate List. I am happy that I finally got a decision, but I am uneasy because I don't know if I'll get into the other schools in which I interview. My next app to get a decision is New York Medical College, because they take forever even though I interviewed their before Upstate.

After that, its University of Louisville and Downstate, but I'm thinking since I am interviewing there so late, only waitlist positions will be available.

Should I start filling out an AMCAS application again? Is it too late the apply for a postbac program?

Or am I just panicking needlessly?!

Yo, congrats on the High Priority list, i would say you prob have 80-90% , mb even more of being accepted by may, and they send them out until the day before orientation. Upstate usually goes through their entire High Priority list, except these past few years.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been placed on a waitlist that isn't the "High Priority List"?

Lukewarm news today. I got an email saying that I was placed on the High Priority Alternate List. I am happy that I finally got a decision, but I am uneasy because I don't know if I'll get into the other schools in which I interview. My next app to get a decision is New York Medical College, because they take forever even though I interviewed their before Upstate.

After that, its University of Louisville and Downstate, but I'm thinking since I am interviewing there so late, only waitlist positions will be available.

Should I start filling out an AMCAS application again? Is it too late the apply for a postbac program?

Or am I just panicking needlessly?!

when does the interview season end? is it that late for people to still be accepted? i doubt that

Members don't see this ad :)
i got placed on the hold alternate list.. i know my chances are very slim for admission, but I was told to call back in May.....

Hi all,
I interviewed 11/17, was accepted 12/23! For all those still on hold and waiting, best of luck! If not Upstate, then somewhere else will hopefully happen!

I submitted my $100 refundable deposit. If it turns out I get accepted to another school and prefer that school, how do I go about requesting the refundable deposit back??

-E

For those who've interviewed already, to what extent did the interviewers use pre-interview essays? Also, for Q1 of the pre-interview essay, four interests = four activities in AMCAS app or any four general interests?

Thank you for any help!

For those who've interviewed already, to what extent did the interviewers use pre-interview essays? Also, for Q1 of the pre-interview essay, four interests = four activities in AMCAS app or any four general interests?

Thank you for any help!

My essays were only referenced by my student interviewer. She mentioned reading them, but for the most part, it was just a normal conversation.

I used four general interests/hobbies.

My essays were only referenced by my student interviewer. She mentioned reading them, but for the most part, it was just a normal conversation.

I used four general interests/hobbies.

Hi Aznboy129, appreciate your input!

All you guys working on Upstate's essays, be aware that everything you send them in writing will go in your file, and I repeat everything. Yes the interviewers will have nothing but your essays for reference but that doesn't mean that your essays will only be used for the interview. When I interviewed, I remember Mrs. Welch saying that when she brings your file to the final admissions committee review (post interview), they read your file and essays out loud for the committee to hear. Now I don't know if she meant that they reads only the PS or also the interview essays but my guess would be that they read both.

All you guys working on Upstate's essays, be aware that everything you send them in writing will go in your file, and I repeat everything. Yes the interviewers will have nothing but your essays for reference but that doesn't mean that your essays will only be used for the interview. When I interviewed, I remember Mrs. Welch saying that when she brings your file to the final admissions committee review (post interview), they read your file and essays out loud for the committee to hear. Now I don't know if she meant that they reads only the PS or also the interview essays but my guess would be that they read both.

I agree 100%. My interview was Monday, and Isabel from the admissions office told us that the committee looks at our pre-interview essays when considering us.

Thank you for any help!

both my interviewers had my essays and parts were highlighted.... my student interviewer asked me about specifics from it

there is a discussion of the wording of the first question's prompt earlier in this thread (or was it in another thread)....i would say use "general interests" but tie them into your interest in medicine and throw in experiences/activities to demonstrate your interest. listing four hobbies would probably be a bad idea but definitely throw at least one hobby or unusual interest in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, did anybody recycle personal adversity/how-I-overcame essay for the second question of the post-secondary essay? I am thinking about recycling it but the question does specifically asks steps to solve a problem so I feel somewhat tempted to write about scientific research-oriented problem while interpreting results.

Also, it seems that they are more interested in knowing how we resolved the issue rather than what we learned from the experience. Do you concur?

Could anyone who wrote the essay already shed some light to this issue? I do feel like I am getting somewhat paranoid but I would love to hear some of your stories...:)

Out of curiosity, did anybody recycle personal adversity/how-I-overcame essay for the second question of the post-secondary essay? I am thinking about recycling it but the question does specifically asks steps to solve a problem so I feel somewhat tempted to write about scientific research-oriented problem while interpreting results.

Also, it seems that they are more interested in knowing how we resolved the issue rather than what we learned from the experience. Do you concur?

Could anyone who wrote the essay already shed some light to this issue? I do feel like I am getting somewhat paranoid but I would love to hear some of your stories...:)

i definitely didn't interpret it as an "overcoming adversity" question and more of an academic problem-solving question...but i can see how you can spin it that way. The questions are open ended for a reason....they want to see how you end up interpreting them.

I think the interview essay is very important, however I think that being sincere, really believing in what you say in the essay, etc. is much more important than specifically what you write about. For the problem solving question, I talked about a group project that I worked on in college. I wasn't that happy with the essay, but the only other problem I could think of in my life was "getting into medical school." Which didn't seem appropriate:) I got in, so just be logical and explain yourself, and tell the truth.

Both of my interviewers focused heavily on what I wrote, so be prepared to talk about it.

Thanks for your comments. Anyone else write about a personal problem (i.e. arguing with friends) rather than academic one?

Last edited:
Congrats to all who'll be attending Upstate and G'luck those with interviews :)

I posted the following Qs in the Upstate '09 class thread but I think this thread gets more of an audience. I forgot to ask a couple of questions while I was visiting Syracuse for an interview.

Q. The class schedule for MSI and MSII seems to run from morning to afternoon (nonstop). When is there time to study and do other stuff?

Q. What are the hours like as a MS III and MSIV? when are you on call?

Q. What are your responsibilities as a med student during your clerkships?

Q. Will clinical life on the Binghamtom campus be different in terms of hours and responsibilties?

Thanks for the help guys!

completed my program and enjoyed the campus. i must say that if you interview, definitely take advantage of the overnight host program. i befriended some great 1st years.

Last edited:
completed my program and enjoyed the campus. i must say that if you interview, definitely take advantage of the overnight host program. i became befriended some great 1st years.

How was your interview?? Was it stressful?

Hope you nailed it.

i'm confused i haven't been rejected after being put on hold (app status is still missing). has anyone come off hold? anyone?

Just called the office. Still no decision has been reached on my application, interviewed 11/24. They said it "should" go to committee next Wednesday which will put me at 8+ weeks as far as a decision.

And the waiting continues...

Just called the office. Still no decision has been reached on my application, interviewed 11/24. They said it "should" go to committee next Wednesday which will put me at 8+ weeks as far as a decision.

And the waiting continues...

that's strange how long it has taken for you...your interviewer must have been a sloooowww one

that's strange how long it has taken for you...your interviewer must have been a sloooowww one

Well I think some of it is due to the fact that my faculty interviewer never showed up and I was interviewed by Isabelle instead. But the lady I spoke to said they have the materials back, they're just waiting for it to go to committee.

Hopefully next week (fingers crossed) will be the week for me.

Well I think some of it is due to the fact that my faculty interviewer never showed up and I was interviewed by Isabelle instead. But the lady I spoke to said they have the materials back, they're just waiting for it to go to committee.

Hopefully next week (fingers crossed) will be the week for me.

ahh that probably was a little less stressful (she isn't bad looking ;) ) Well Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

ahh that probably was a little less stressful (she isn't bad looking ;) ) Well Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I don't wanna say anything too incriminating in case she lurks around these forums on occasion, but yes, haha.

Thanks man, we'll see next Thursday.

I don't wanna say anything too incriminating in case she lurks around these forums on occasion, but yes, haha.

Thanks man, we'll see next Thursday.

haha true hopefully she'll take it as a complement.. No problem, take it easy.

I was just put on the High Priority list. Is it too early to inquire if my position offers fair chances of admissions down the road? Does anyone know how much of this list Upstate typically gets to?

Last edited:
I was just put on the HPA list. Is it too early to inquire if my position offers fair chances of admissions down the road? Does anyone know how much of this list Upstate typically gets to?

the impression i got on interview day is that they take quite a few off the HPA list. I remember they said you can call back and they'd tell you which third of the list you were on but i don't remember when they said you should call. they're fairly nice at Upstate so I don't think they'd mind if you called now to ask.

You can probably count on my spot opening up before May 15th though ;)

give me ur name and i'll be sure to tell them to give you my spot in my withdrawal letter :)

does anyone know how long it takes for the decision to be reached? I think the staff said 3-4 weeks. Anyone remember?

does anyone know how long it takes for the decision to be reached? I think the staff said 3-4 weeks. Anyone remember?

If you interviewed today I think they said they would not get to our group for another 2 weeks

If you interviewed today I think they said they would not get to our group for another 2 weeks

I interviewed on 12/15 and got my decision by snail mail exactly 4 weeks to the day. I got a call (at 6AM!!) from the admissions office the day after I got the package--strange timing.

BTW, I really enjoyed the interview day (despite having to evacuate the building into the freezing cold because of a fire alarm), all the other invitees were really friendly. I wish I had exchanged contact info with them.

I was on pre-interview hold but got a phone call last week offering me an interview on February 11. I know that I have to write essays but I can't find them anywhere. Were they just on the same page as your secondary or are they posted somewhere on the school's website? Sorry if you guys already went over this! Thanks!!

I was on pre-interview hold but got a phone call last week offering me an interview on February 11. I know that I have to write essays but I can't find them anywhere. Were they just on the same page as your secondary or are they posted somewhere on the school's website? Sorry if you guys already went over this! Thanks!!

they are on the same page as the interview information...in a box on the right-centered portion of the page.

Hey guys, my status page just changed (interview information disappeared) but, looking through the previous few pages, people were saying that their status changed to "decision made." Is that the same thing? Because I don't see a field for Status anywhere on the page.

Hopefully I get a phone call before the end of the day :xf::xf:

Hey guys, my status page just changed (interview information disappeared) but, looking through the previous few pages, people were saying that their status changed to "decision made." Is that the same thing? Because I don't see a field for Status anywhere on the page.

good luck aznboy. i wish they would just reject me already!

I interviewed on 1/5, and my interview info and status have disappeared also. Does this mean that I'm being reviewed now? (I guess that's plausible, because my interview will be 3 weeks ago come Monday.)

I interviewed on 1/5, and my interview info and status have disappeared also. Does this mean that I'm being reviewed now? (I guess that's plausible, because my interview will be 3 weeks ago come Monday.)

probably b/c the committee was meeting in our waiting room immediately following the interview day. My last interview ran late (awesome interviewer) so all the committee members were entering the room, grabbing food, and setting up to begin reviewing applications. So yeah...you are probably being interviewed (b/c the director said they would not get to my group for a couple of weeks or so).

Good luck

probably b/c the committee was meeting in our waiting room immediately following the interview day. My last interview ran late (awesome interviewer) so all the committee members were entering the room, grabbing food, and setting up to begin reviewing applications. So yeah...you are probably being interviewed (b/c the director said they would not get to my group for a couple of weeks or so).

Good luck

Thanks a lot for the info, and good luck to you too.

Oh no. I just looked at my email, and the decision is already there: waitlist. And it's the BAD waitlist (Hold by Committee Alternate List), the one they say they never get to.

Has anyone ever managed to get off the bad waitlist onto the good one? I would really appreciate some advice here.

Oh no. I just looked at my email, and the decision is already there: waitlist. And it's the BAD waitlist (Hold by Committee Alternate List), the one they say they never get to.

Has anyone ever managed to get off the bad waitlist onto the good one? I would really appreciate some advice here.

sorry to hear that :(

from what i understand, the alternate list is tapped after the high priority alternate list is exhausted and they don't move people between lists. the impression i got during interview day was that they dig about 2/3 of the way into the HPA list and haven't had to go to the alternate list for the past few years.

I interviewed on 12/16 and my status page changed as well! I called and was told that a decision was made.

I'm hoping for the best.

I interviewed on 12/16 and my status page changed as well! I called and was told that a decision was made.

I'm hoping for the best.
Same here - interviewed 12/16, interview info disappeared this morning. KaiHa - when you called, they didn't mention when calls would be made, did they?

Same here - interviewed 12/16, interview info disappeared this morning. KaiHa - when you called, they didn't mention when calls would be made, did they?

anywhere from today to tuesday.

best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.