2008-2009 Southern Illinois University Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally joined today and will share my experience. I interviewed 12/22/08 and received my AWPA 1/15/09. I'm just waiting to hear anything about the Feb. batch acceptances.

We interviewed on the same day! (guess that narrows it down!:laugh:) I am still waiting to hear back on Feb acceptances too! Good luck man! Any news from UTSA or the other schools you interviewed at?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a "Ranked Alternate" letter in the mail yesterday (2/6) :confused:
I remember hearing that nobody has been accepted from that list in the past 3-4 years. Oh well...I really liked SIU and I thought I had pretty good stats, experiences, and LORs. Not to mention I live and work in Urbana. Hmm...
Well good luck to everyone else!

I was hoping to get the letter today indicating which category I'm in, but nothing was in the mail. I guess I'll have to wait until Mon. or Tues. Herky010 do you mind providing your stats and experiences? If you want you could send me a PM. My MCAT was not the greatest, so I'm really concerned about my chances to make it on the AWPA list. The wait is killing me!

Members don't see this ad :)
We interviewed on the same day! (guess that narrows it down!:laugh:) I am still waiting to hear back on Feb acceptances too! Good luck man! Any news from UTSA or the other schools you interviewed at?

:laugh: wow isn't that crazy, especially since there were only 3 of us interviewing that day! I'm still playing the waiting game with the rest of the schools I've heard back from. Haven't heard anything :thumbup: or :thumbdown: from UTSA or PSU. I just interviewed last Friday at UM (Go Canes!) and I'm suppose to hear back from them in 2-4 weeks. Good luck to you throughout this process. I know we all are :xf:.

Last edited:
Got the AWPA letter today! Only one more hurdle to get past! I'm still a little confused whether I was considered for the Feb. batch of acceptances or if I have to wait until March. Did anyone else get an AWPA letter who interviewed around Jan. 8th? I thought Mr. Evans said anyone on the AWPA list from my interview date would be considered in Feb, but the secretary said I wouldn't be considered until March.

Hey. I was wondering if anyone has heard from the Feb. batch of acceptances?

Does anyone know if there is an acceptance thread for SIU for the class of 2013 (entering in the fall of 2009)? If so, please provide a link. I haven't been able to find one. I'm just wondering why there is little talk of acceptances.

If you did a search among the allopathic school specific threads without success, then why not get one started?

If you did a search among the allopathic school specific threads without success, then why not get one started?

Just thought I would see if anyone knew of one. I didn't want to create one if one already existed. Also, I am new to SDN and I am not familiar with how to create a thread.

... any word on when the next round of acceptance letters will be mailed?

I'm starting to get discouraged, even with an AWPA letter.

... any word on when the next round of acceptance letters will be mailed?

I'm starting to get discouraged, even with an AWPA letter.

Yeah I felt the same way so I called and they said that the meeting was on feb 24th so that was just yesterday! I would assume that the emails and hardcopies will be sent out in the next couple of weeks. They then have another meeting on Mar 24 and they will accept another batch of students then and after that they only accept on a as needed basis

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I felt the same way so I called and they said that the meeting was on feb 24th so that was just yesterday! I would assume that the emails and hardcopies will be sent out in the next couple of weeks. They then have another meeting on Mar 24 and they will accept another batch of students then and after that they only accept on a as needed basis

Hope this helps

It helps tremendously; I was told the February round would be sent out the second week of February. Whew!! I've hung all my hopes on SIU... didn't even apply anywhere else.

Hope to see you there!

It helps tremendously; I was told the February round would be sent out the second week of February. Whew!! I've hung all my hopes on SIU... didn't even apply anywhere else.

Hope to see you there!

I spoke with Mr. Wilson today and he said that the Feb. batch was already sent out. He also said that e-mails are sent out to those who are placed, so those still waiting to be placed should hear right after the March 24th meeting. I'm also on the AWPA list, but was not placed for Feb, so all of my hope lies with the March batch. Best of luck to everyone!

I spoke with Mr. Wilson today and he said that the Feb. batch was already sent out. He also said that e-mails are sent out to those who are placed, so those still waiting to be placed should hear right after the March 24th meeting. I'm also on the AWPA list, but was not placed for Feb, so all of my hope lies with the March batch. Best of luck to everyone!

Yeah that is strange b/c I talked to the secretary in the admission office at about 3pm and she said that they just had the meeting on the 24th...and said that they would be having another meeting on march 24th...maybe tomorrow I will call and try to speak with Evan.

Unfortunately, I got a rejection in the mail from them today. Anyone get any good news today?

Sorry to hear that.:( Have you heard from any other schools?

Nope. I should be getting an e-mail from RFU within the next week, but other schools just keep putting off my application. Actually, I'm grateful that SIU made a decision and just came out and told me.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know I received an acceptance email today! Sooooo happy b/c it's my first acceptance anywhere. I'm not sure if it is Feb/Mar batch, but I would guess it is the edit: Feb batch. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know I received an acceptance email today! Sooooo happy b/c it's my first acceptance anywhere. I'm not sure if it is Feb/Mar batch, but I would guess it is the Mar batch. Good luck everyone!

Congrats! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they're going to send out some more tomorrow... when did you receive it today?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know I received an acceptance email today! Sooooo happy b/c it's my first acceptance anywhere. I'm not sure if it is Feb/Mar batch, but I would guess it is the Mar batch. Good luck everyone!

Good news! I am glad to hear that. Good luck:luck: You are gonna be a doctor!

Last edited:
Congrats! I'll keep my fingers crossed that they're going to send out some more tomorrow... when did you receive it today?

Yea, I got the email yesterday. It had a quick congrats from Mr Wilson and the acceptance letter attached. (Which I promptly printed out lol).

Good news! I am glad to hear that. Good luck:luck: You are gonna be a doctor!

Yea!!! Now I can relax a little bit knowing I'm going somewhere. Good luck with the continuation of this crazy process:thumbup:

Nope. I should be getting an e-mail from RFU within the next week, but other schools just keep putting off my application. Actually, I'm grateful that SIU made a decision and just came out and told me.

Sorry to hear that! I looked at your stats and you have a strong application....How many schools did you apply to?

Unfortunately, I got a rejection in the mail from them today. Anyone get any good news today?

Hmm, that is weird, did you get denied or prospective reapplicant status? Or is it ranked alternate, which is almost a rejection?

Hmm, that is weird, did you get denied or prospective reapplicant status? Or is it ranked alternate, which is almost a rejection?

i'm not sure. the letter got mailed to my parent's house, and i haven't seen it yet. i had my mom read it to me over the phone, but it didn't indicate anything about re-applicant status. unfortunately, i cant remember the exact language of the letter right now.

i'm not sure. the letter got mailed to my parent's house, and i haven't seen it yet. i had my mom read it to me over the phone, but it didn't indicate anything about re-applicant status. unfortunately, i cant remember the exact language of the letter right now.

Yeah, I would check the wording on the letter to see exactly what list they ended up putting you on. I thought I was waitlisted at a school when my mom initially read the letter to me, but after reading it for myself I was put on a post-interview hold. Apparently it is better because the ad-com reviews my file every time they meet. Once again, good luck with all your applications.:luck:

So is anybody waiting to hear about an acceptance from the March 24th meeting?

Anybody heard anything yet?

I'm waiting on an AWPA letter too. I wonder how long it will take to mail those out??

Anybody heard anything yet?

I'm waiting on an AWPA letter too. I wonder how long it will take to mail those out??

It took close to a week after the committee met for me to receive my AWPA letter. (I got mine in Feb.) Did anyone get an acceptance e-mail today or yesterday? I haven't gotten anything, so I'm gettting a little nervous.

It took close to a week after the committee met for me to receive my AWPA letter. (I got mine in Feb.) Did anyone get an acceptance e-mail today or yesterday? I haven't gotten anything, so I'm gettting a little nervous.
I still haven't heard anything.

Anybody else have good news?

same here been on the list since Dec. been waiting patiently ever since. Mr. Evans told me on 30th or around there the last batch would be sent out

Anybody hear anything? I thought we were supposed to hear by the end of the month??? I can't imagine that no one from SDN would have been accepted in the March batch...

Whoever said that no news is good news never applied to medical school.

Anybody hear anything? I thought we were supposed to hear by the end of the month??? I can't imagine that no one from SDN would have been accepted in the March batch...

I talked to one of my classmates today who just got her AWAP last week and she said that she just got her acceptance email. I can't say that I saw the email, but this is someone I would actually believe. Not sure what that means for everyone else, but hopefully you just haven't got your email yet :luck::luck::luck:

@timborama Sooooooooo true!

Wow this thread has really died down. I just wanted to throw this out there. Was anyone dead set to go to SIU before interviewing? I know that I was really impressed when I interviewed and they really jumped up my list of schools.

I was committed to going there before my interview, but I had toured the Springfield campus earlier.

I was wondering if any current students, especially MS1s could share their honest opinion about being in Carbondale for the first year. Is it not that bad? What clinical opportunities are there? and What is the coursework like? (PBL vs Lecture)

Thanks!

I was wondering if any current students, especially MS1s could share their honest opinion about being in Carbondale for the first year. Is it not that bad? What clinical opportunities are there? and What is the coursework like? (PBL vs Lecture)

Thanks!
I just asked a friend about this and she absolutely loves it. SIU was not her first choice but she wouldn't want to be anywhere else now.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm a first year at Carbondale and I want to wish you all the best of luck on admissions!

My honest opinion about Carbondale, well It's certainly a big change from the suburbs of Chicago. SIU wasn't my first choice but I am so glad that I ended up here. The PBL took some getting used to after 4 years of solid lecture based studies. It was hard for me to look beyond the clinical aspects of the cases and root out the basic science principals. After our first test I changed my study habits and have been doing very well since. I think that the idea that we have to teach each other makes us remember much better. Work all parts of your memory and get a better picture of the material. If you go to the lectures they help outline what will be most important. The self assessment questions (SAQ's) are gold for note card users.

As far as clinical opportunities, there are plenty if you have time to try them. You can observe surgeries, ER, and pretty much anything else you would desire. I've worked with an interventional cardiolgist, a medical cardiologist and an ER dr.

Living in Carbondale is not to bad. Particularly in the warm months, which is most of them. I love being outside and there is a lot to do around here if you enjoy that. There is also a wine trail that can be a lot of fun. For being a small college town there is a pretty good night life, again if you have time.

So take home message here, it was a rough start for me, but well worth it!

Hi guys,

I'm a first year at Carbondale and I want to wish you all the best of luck on admissions!

My honest opinion about Carbondale, well It's certainly a big change from the suburbs of Chicago. SIU wasn't my first choice but I am so glad that I ended up here. The PBL took some getting used to after 4 years of solid lecture based studies. It was hard for me to look beyond the clinical aspects of the cases and root out the basic science principals. After our first test I changed my study habits and have been doing very well since. I think that the idea that we have to teach each other makes us remember much better. Work all parts of your memory and get a better picture of the material. If you go to the lectures they help outline what will be most important. The self assessment questions (SAQ's) are gold for note card users.

As far as clinical opportunities, there are plenty if you have time to try them. You can observe surgeries, ER, and pretty much anything else you would desire. I've worked with an interventional cardiolgist, a medical cardiologist and an ER dr.

Living in Carbondale is not to bad. Particularly in the warm months, which is most of them. I love being outside and there is a lot to do around here if you enjoy that. There is also a wine trail that can be a lot of fun. For being a small college town there is a pretty good night life, again if you have time.

So take home message here, it was a rough start for me, but well worth it!

Thanks so much for the response. It has been really helpful in helping me decide where to go. Btw, GO BEARS! GO JAY CUTLER:thumbup:!

Hey. Just wanted to give this thread a bump if anyone is still following it. It looks like admissions is already pulling from the AWPA list since the May 15 deadline. I just received an email offering a spot. I've already declined the acceptance but just wanted to let people know that movement is happening! Good luck to those still waiting.

Hey. Just wanted to give this thread a bump if anyone is still following it. It looks like admissions is already pulling from the AWPA list since the May 15 deadline. I just received an email offering a spot. I've already declined the acceptance but just wanted to let people know that movement is happening! Good luck to those still waiting.

Thanks for the update! Best of luck wherever you decided to go instead, and thanks for opening up the spot so quickly.

thanks for the update! Good luck where your going! I am really hoping to get into SIU!

Status
Not open for further replies.