West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know from previous trends if people that were on the alternate list didn't get a seat got flat out rejected? or everyone that didn't get a seat in this cycle was offered automatic admission for next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
According to my conversation with the adcoms, there is no guarantee that rollover will be granted. If you are offered rollover, you will be made aware, if not, better luck next year.

Just sent my email withdrawing my acceptance. I feel slightly down because it's such an incredible school. I wish you all the best!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason, I have a good feeling about the AL next week. Let's hope I'm right.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how people are on the AL this year?

Oh hahaha I see what happened. I know nothing about the quantity, and I don't think that the school is at liberty to give out that type of information. I've been wrong before though.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything lately? The adcoms usually meet on Tuesdays

Has anyone heard anything lately? The adcoms usually meet on Tuesdays
Nothing here, but admissions told me not to expect much movement until mid-late May. According to them, majority of AL movement occurs mid-May through mid-June. There will be a few before and after that, but that's when they told me to expect to see several. Makes sense if you read the MD/DO traffic guidelines. When did you interview?

Reactions: 2 users
My interview was in Dec and got placed on AL earlier this month.

My interview was in Dec and got placed on AL earlier this month.
So were you "decision deferred" post interview? I interviewed in November and that was my status. I was placed on the AL 4/4.

Yes, I was decision deferred shortly after the interview and placed on AL the same time as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey has anyone else had their transcripts uploaded to their portal? It wasn't on mine at the beginning of week. And does anyone know if it's meaningful??

Hey has anyone else had their transcripts uploaded to their portal? It wasn't on mine at the beginning of week. And does anyone know if it's meaningful??

Happenedd to me and remember getting a acceptance shortly after. Hang tight

What do you mean "uploaded"?

Do you mean in the checklist under "first deposit", or is this on a different page?

I have been alternate listed since January and had my transcripts uploaded in February and am still alternate listed. I am wondering if they are waiting on my final transcripts and if so do I send them to them or through AACOMAS? Working through this has developed a greater level of patience than we all had before.Good luck to all who are still on the alternate list.

Reactions: 3 users
All of my final transcripts were submitted around that time and I too have been on the list since January

The alternate list is like swimming through the ocean covered in baby seal meat, you might make it, you might not.

Reactions: 4 users
Just officially withdrew my seat, Good luck to you all and hope one of you gets my seat. Congrats to everyone regardless of acceptance, you all worked hard and it will be worth it in the end :)

Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets at this point? I know that at one point it was every Tuesday, but does anyone know if that has changed?

Does anyone know how often the admissions committee meets at this point? I know that at one point it was every Tuesday, but does anyone know if that has changed?

Your guess is as good as mine

Praying this is the week we AL people see some action

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think there will be any movement until June or July at this point. It sounds like there are some open spots and it's unfortunate that we don't get some more clarity about the current status.

I don't think there will be any movement until June or July at this point. It sounds like there are some open spots and it's unfortunate that we don't get some more clarity about the current status.

The May 15th deadline will help

Anyone know if the big May 1st "traffic day" applies to DO schools as well?

It is my understanding that it does not. But if some of the DO people hold spots in MD schools, it could help.

Anyone know if the big May 1st "traffic day" applies to DO schools as well?

May 1st = MD traffic day
May 15th = DO traffic day

I think

I think I see what you're getting at though and I'm not sure

Last edited:
I didn't even interview and my app was placed on pre-iv hold in January. What's the deal here? I've been taking it as a rejection but it's just kinda weird that they don't just send me the inevitable email.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It seems like we should be getting some movement soon, but it's so hard to tell because it changes year to year.

That's correct. You can search AACOMAS traffic guidelines to see details

Yeah I think he's saying though will MD programs also make students give up a DO spot as well which is actually a really good question

FYI, I know that another spot is opening up. Throwing that out there for more speculation fuel.

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrawing my acceptance as well. Good luck everyone!

Seems to be a lot of open spots. Let's hope for some early May magic next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems to be a lot of open spots. Let's hope for some early May magic next week.

If David Copperfield can make a car appear out of thin air, maybe the AdComs can make an email appear in our inboxes

Here is a question for all of us alternates. Do we get notified via email regarding acceptance or do we need to log into the WVSOM site to determine our acceptance status? Again, good luck to all alternates left especially the few replying to these posts!

Here is a question for all of us alternates. Do we get notified via email regarding acceptance or do we need to log into the WVSOM site to determine our acceptance status? Again, good luck to all alternates left especially the few replying to these posts!

I was told via email, but I've read stories of people getting portal changes without email and vice versa.