West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My mcat is in that ballpark and same for many others waitlisted. We've asked admissions about our scores, mine is 496, and they said my bio and CARS scores were good enough, they are just full and so I was waitlisted. It's not impossible to get in with a 495.

True it's not impossible, but it's not likely either. No need to get defensive all I'm saying is that if after two cycles with a 3.7 GPA you don't get an acceptance you need to take the necessary time to prepare and do well on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

WVSOM admissions advised me the lowest they accepted in 2015 was 490.

That may be the case, but it's certainly not the norm. Not crapping on those with sub 500 MCAT scores I'm just pointing out the need to be realistic. A 495 or a 496 is not a good score and it makes admissions offices a bit reluctant to admit you as the exams only get more difficult.

I can say with confidence alternate list is not the same as decision deferred

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
True it's not impossible, but it's not likely either. No need to get defensive all I'm saying is that if after two cycles with a 3.7 GPA you don't get an acceptance you need to take the necessary time to prepare and do well on the MCAT.
I'm not being defensive I'm just letting them know it's not impossible! There's a lot of negativity floating around here sometimes, and I'm just trying to keep it positive! Trust me, we get our doses of reality every once and awhile.

Reactions: 1 users
WVSOM has a rather low MCAT average, but there is almost no chance you get in without a 500. Right now your 3.2 sGPA is a red flag due to your MCAT. I'd do nothing but study for the MCAT for the next 2 months if you haven't been. Don't mean to be discouraging, but that's what is holding you back. Best of luck!
I wholly disagree with the MCAT statement. Unfortunately the issue right now is there is quite a few people waiting on the AL, so once spots open up with people withdrawing there will be more room for people on the deferred list. WVSOM is a school that values real world experience and upward GPA trend. They take MCAT into account, but they are good at balancing weaker and stronger parts of your application. There isn't just one stat that would not get you accepted.

I can say with confidence alternate list is not the same as decision deferred

I'm also in that decision differed status w/o IV. It seems to me that this school doesn't outright reject any qualified applicants. Anyone who applies with stats close to their averages seems to get placed on some app hold status if not called for an interview. For what's it's worth, I've been counting it as a silent rejection after the month of Feb came and went by.

s3.4/c3.1, 502 and average ECs if you were wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I wholly disagree with the MCAT statement. Unfortunately the issue right now is there is quite a few people waiting on the AL, so once spots open up with people withdrawing there will be more room for people on the deferred list. WVSOM is a school that values real world experience and upward GPA trend. They take MCAT into account, but they are good at balancing weaker and stronger parts of your application. There isn't just one stat that would not get you accepted.

I don't disagree with you on the school valuing life experience and self improvement. However, can you honestly tell me that those with sub let's say 498 MCAT scores are ready and prepared to start medical school? And if you say yes, are they ready to do well? Life experiences and upwards trends are great, but simply not having the necessary background knowledge should give admissions committees pause. With that being said, I think I've gotten a little too negative and I apologize for that.

WVSOM does appreciate real world experience and they do a great job at reviewing applications holistically. However, for what it's worth, a majority of their students with low mcat scores also have a masters degree.

I don't disagree with you on the school valuing life experience and self improvement. However, can you honestly tell me that those with sub let's say 498 MCAT scores are ready and prepared to start medical school? And if you say yes, are they ready to do well? Life experiences and upwards trends are great, but simply not having the necessary background knowledge should give admissions committees pause. With that being said, I think I've gotten a little too negative and I apologize for that.
You raise a very valid point. I do believe that there are specific circumstances of applicants with sub 498 MCAT scores that are ready for the rigors of medical school, and these are the people that the school chooses to remain on the AL. There are many times when someone does not do well on the first go around of an MCAT due to extenuating factors and for me personally, they asked me about these during my interview.

This fool walking up in here telling me and my homies we ain't ready smh ..I don't know what I need to huh?! Welp. I have two degrees, I'm 29 years old, and I'm HELLA good at sadoku. For the record I was scoring 505 on my practice tests but I had to poop like every 10 min during the test cause of nerves But ummmm anyway, ya I mean my mcat sucks oh well I've come to terms. But hey I really wanna be a doctor and I think I'll be good at it! Ima try my hardest anyway! Not the first time someone told me to give up... walking into my pre- health post bacc with a degree in ceramics stirred things up then too

Reactions: 4 users
This fool walking up in here telling me and my homies we ain't ready smh ..I don't know what I need to huh?! Welp. I have two degrees, I'm 29 years old, and I'm HELLA good at sadoku. For the record I was scoring 505 on my practice tests but I had to poop like every 10 min during the test cause of nerves But ummmm anyway, ya I mean my mcat sucks oh well I've come to terms. But hey I really wanna be a doctor and I think I'll be good at it! Ima try my hardest anyway! Not the first time someone told me to give up... walking into my pre- health post bacc with a degree in ceramics stirred things up then too

I realize there's a lot of sarcasm in this post, but I'd like to point out I never once said to give up. Having two degrees also doesn't mean you're ready for medical school just an FYI. My original point was to retake your MCAT not you should find another career field...

The below 500 being impossible is untrue and slightly ridiculous. I know the scores that have been accepted to wvsom and many are sub 500

Members don't see this ad :)
The below 500 being impossible is untrue and slightly ridiculous. I know the scores that have been accepted to wvsom and many are sub 500

Didn't say for everyone I was referring to a specific case. A low sGPA combined with a less than average MCAT score is NOT likely to get a person in.

Didn't say for everyone I was referring to a specific case. A low sGPA combined with a less than average MCAT score is NOT likely to get a person in.

That I buy. I have come to understand a sGPA over 3.6 with a sub 500 mcat is feasible

So anyway.... I'm gonna call admissions at the end of the week, I'll tell u all what I find out! ;)+pity+ Ok these emojis are kind of amazing???

@RamsFan&FutureDO Why are you still on this thread? You are accepted, and you are bringing all of us down with this negativity. Most of us realize what the "ideal" MCAT score and GPA is in order to get accepted. I know someone who got a 25 on their MCAT and graduated 1st in his class in med school.

Reactions: 3 users
@RamsFan&FutureDO Why are you still on this thread? You are accepted, and you are bringing all of us down with this negativity. Most of us realize what the "ideal" MCAT score and GPA is in order to get accepted. I know someone who got a 25 on their MCAT and graduated 1st in his class in med school.

I monitor the threads of the schools I was accepted to from time to time. I simply wanted to give someone honest advice instead of the blind optimism that some preach. Never did I say anyone should give up or that every person applying with a 495 is hopeless so let's stop misconstruing what I said. Also, a 25 MCAT is a 500 if you want to use that as a reference point.

Quick side note: the schools anatomy lab was phenomenal and I'm envious of those of you who end up at WVSOM with no formaldehyde/phenol smell during lab while the rest of us pack the Vicks under our noses to combat the smell!

New Information:

I just got off the phone with WVSOM admissions counselor Ryan Boothe who advised:
  • No more interviews will be conducted - therefore 'decision deferred' status = rejection, which will likely follow via email in early June
  • 'Decision Deferred' is effectively a HOLD status and 'Alternate List' status indicates applicant has interviewed but not offered a seat but if those accepted give up their seat then those on the 'alternate list' have priority.
  • '16/'17 minimum accepted science GPA: 3.2
  • '16/'17 minimum accepted MCAT: 492 *this is a two point increase from the '15/'16 cycle (490), which Ryan does not foresee the committee increasing for the '17/'18 cycle
He advised me personally not to 'flirt with the minimum'
It looks like a third attempt is eminent and the MCAT is in my near future - I knew WVSOM is a mission-based school, but did not realize their standards fluctuate from year to year. In perspective a 492 is equivalent to an 18, comparing NEW to OLD, score from the 26th percentile (2016, link). It's crazy to think that scoring 8 points higher will not just make me competitive but guarantee an interview, because apparently the comments from the adcom on my account are very positive and the only red flag is my MCAT score. I'm more hopeful now than this morning!
  • It might also be important to note that WVSOM does review supplementals even if there are statistical red flags (low GPA/MCAT)

I monitor the threads of the schools I was accepted to from time to time. I simply wanted to give someone honest advice instead of the blind optimism that some preach. Never did I say anyone should give up or that every person applying with a 495 is hopeless so let's stop misconstruing what I said. Also, a 25 MCAT is a 500 if you want to use that as a reference point.

Quick side note: the schools anatomy lab was phenomenal and I'm envious of those of you who end up at WVSOM with no formaldehyde/phenol smell during lab while the rest of us pack the Vicks under our noses to combat the smell!
Not gonna lie, the cadaver lab is singly the most attractive aspect of the school in my opinion. I've read human body/anatomy books since I was a 3rd grade homeschooler, I pray to God I can go to this school.

It does seem like there are some big mysteries with the admissions team at WVSOM. I've counted about 6-7 people who mentioned they would withdraw and nobody has yet to say they've been accepted. Granted not every pre-med is on SDN, but still at least one of them would be. Also, all these different stories from admissions are strange. Why would multiple different admissions counselors have different stories about the amount of movement? Very curious.

Reactions: 2 users
It does seem like there are some big mysteries with the admissions team at WVSOM. I've counted about 6-7 people who mentioned they would withdraw and nobody has yet to say they've been accepted. Granted not every pre-med is on SDN, but still at least one of them would be. Also, all these different stories from admissions are strange. Why would multiple different admissions counselors have different stories about the amount of movement? Very curious.
Idk it's so weirrrrrd. The woman I spoke to a few weeks ago said she had worked in admissions for three years and seemed confident that "this year is a lot like last year." I would absolutely trust what Ryan Boothe said though, he actually interviewed me. Maybe I'll ask for him when I call later in the week, he was super nice!

Idk it's so weirrrrrd. The woman I spoke to a few weeks ago said she had worked in admissions for three years and seemed confident that "this year is a lot like last year." I would absolutely trust what Ryan Boothe said though, he actually interviewed me. Maybe I'll ask for him when I call later in the week, he was super nice!
I agree.

If I only knew how informative Ryan Boothe is before speaking with him today I would never have continued to take info from Angie Bowyer - she never gave me straight answers, Ryan did was encouraging in my pursuit and brutally honest with me. WVSOM truly is a quality school well worth a third attempt. Right now I just need good advice about what prep courses to take to improve my MCAT score 10-15 points, looks like I'm leaving this thread and on to another, good luck those still alternate listed... it seems that luck is a constant in this game. Maybe we'll meet again next cycle... stay resilient and persistent: never give up!

For all those on the AL, this time of year is extremely busy with the class graduating next week. That is probably why they said movement happens at the end of May into June, because they have more time to review once the graduating class has moved onto residency. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Whenever I ask about a ranking on the alternate list, I always get told that there is no such thing. However, I find that a little tough to believe because that is just not efficient. What do the lot of you think about that?

Also, I was told a few times that the admission's committee meets every Tuesday to review applicants. I'm always checking my email every hour on every Tuesday to see if I get anything, but with the AACOMAS traffic guidelines on their final scheduling criteria, I'm slightly optimistic for some movement late next week.

The final AACOMAS traffic guideline being: "After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions."

It's ranked, in some way shape or form. It has to be. I can't see them pulling names out of a hat at random and that being their decision making criteria. I'm also optimistic for next week with the traffic deadline + graduation being over

Whenever I ask about a ranking on the alternate list, I always get told that there is no such thing. However, I find that a little tough to believe because that is just not efficient. What do the lot of you think about that?

Also, I was told a few times that the admission's committee meets every Tuesday to review applicants. I'm always checking my email every hour on every Tuesday to see if I get anything, but with the AACOMAS traffic guidelines on their final scheduling criteria, I'm slightly optimistic for some movement late next week.

The final AACOMAS traffic guideline being: "After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions."

It's definitely ranked. They told me that the pool of alternates is re-evaluated during their meetings. The confusing thing to me is that they haven't accepted anyone in a while. So their meeting schedule is probably not consistent. Plus I think it's a good idea point about graduation next week.

:) I just got my acceptance around 12:30 today! I'm gonna be a doctor!!!

Well I guess what I just said is kaput. Congrats spaghetti

So ummmm how many do we think are on the waitlist?? ... like this comment if ur waitlisted..............??? :beat:

Reactions: 8 users
While I haven't given up hope yet by any means, a rollover acceptance would be much appreciated lol

It's definitely ranked. They told me that the pool of alternates is re-evaluated during their meetings. The confusing thing to me is that they haven't accepted anyone in a while. So their meeting schedule is probably not consistent. Plus I think it's a good idea point about graduation next week.

They told me that there has not been much movement on the alternate list, but some. They also told me they expect to see a lot more late May/early June.

I don't know, man. When I asked about being offered a seat for the following year if we don't get accepted, they told me that they have done so in the past, but they have a new admissions director so they're not 100% sure how they're going to handle that this year.

They told me that there has not been much movement on the alternate list, but some. They also told me they expect to see a lot more late May/early June.

I don't know, man. When I asked about being offered a seat for the following year if we don't get accepted, they told me that they have done so in the past, but they have a new admissions director so they're not 100% sure how they're going to handle that this year.

I could be wrong about this but the new directors first year was last year and per SDN I don't think they did rollovers..but history isn't always an indication of the future

I just got in to my top choice school so I'm giving up my acceptance here. Best of luck to all of you. I hope to see you all in the future!

Reactions: 5 users
Just to get a head count, whoever is on the alternate list, please like this. Just want to get a sense of things.

Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone wait listed elsewhere? If so has there been much movement at other DO schools. Wishing everyone luck, especially all those posting.

Is anyone wait listed elsewhere? If so has there been much movement at other DO schools. Wishing everyone luck, especially all those posting.
WVSOM only. 10 + (10-15) waitlisters that don't use SDN.