2019-2020 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This school is by far my top choice! (I really am passionate about practicing rural medicine)
Here is a general outline of my application:
  • cGPA 3.71
  • sGPA 3.69
  • MCAT practice exams are hovering around 500 (taking at the end of the month)
  • clinical volunteering in local hospital nursing unit (100 hours)
  • Micro Lab teaching assistant (60 hours)
  • General Chem and Organic Chem tutor (130 hours)
  • Over 1000 hours of blue collar/social jobs
  • 120 hours shadowing primary care DO physician
  • Vice-President of a club
  • From a rural, medically underserved area in PA (part of Rural Appalachia, which is something they are big on according to their website)
  • First generation college student
  • Have great LORs
Does anyone have any insight as to whether I am competitive for this school? Idk if some of the things I listed up there even matter but I listed them anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This school is by far my top choice! (I really am passionate about practicing rural medicine)
Here is a general outline of my application:
  • cGPA 3.71
  • sGPA 3.69
  • MCAT practice exams are hovering around 500 (taking at the end of the month)
  • clinical volunteering in local hospital nursing unit (100 hours)
  • Micro Lab teaching assistant (60 hours)
  • General Chem and Organic Chem tutor (130 hours)
  • Over 1000 hours of blue collar/social jobs
  • 120 hours shadowing primary care DO physician
  • Vice-President of a club
  • From a rural, medically underserved area in PA (part of Rural Appalachia, which is something they are big on according to their website)
  • First generation college student
  • Have great LORs
Does anyone have any insight as to whether I am competitive for this school? Idk if some of the things I listed up there even matter but I listed them anyways.

I'm an incoming OMS1, and I would say you seem in great shape just based off what you listed here. Both your GPAs are higher than mine, and I had a sub-500 MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an incoming OMS1, and I would say you seem in great shape just based off what you listed here. Both your GPAs are higher than mine, and I had a sub-500 MCAT.
Thank you very much! That is reassuring!

This is one of the osteopathic schools towards the top of my list! I'm hoping that we will hear about secondaries soon.

Has anyone received a secondary from WVSOM yet? Anxiously awaiting this one... I have received secondaries from all of the other DO schools I applied to so far, so I'm wondering if this school has a longer screening process?

Has anyone received a secondary from WVSOM yet? Anxiously awaiting this one... I have received secondaries from all of the other DO schools I applied to so far, so I'm wondering if this school has a longer screening process?
I believe from what I read last year, they went out towards the end of July.

Does anybody know if it's worth it to apply Out of state? I'm a FL resident and WVSOM is my top choice school!! Do they overly favor in state? I have no tie to the state or the school besides distant family that lives about an hour from the medical school. thanks!

Does anybody know if it's worth it to apply Out of state? I'm a FL resident and WVSOM is my top choice school!! Do they overly favor in state? I have no tie to the state or the school besides distant family that lives about an hour from the medical school. thanks!
I'm a New York resident and I applied because I loved the experience I had when I visited WVSOM. I say that if this is your top choice, GO FOR IT!

I'm a New York resident and I applied because I loved the experience I had when I visited WVSOM. I say that if this is your top choice, GO FOR IT!
Definitely! Do you know of the instate to out of state accepted percentages from the previous year by any chance? I've searched but haven't been able to find them.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm OOS, as are both my roommates. It is a lot more expensive OOS, but definitely doesn't hinder you getting in

Does anyone have the character/word limit for WV's secondaries? I read somewhere that it is 500 characters?

Does anyone have the character/word limit for WV's secondaries? I read somewhere that it is 500 characters?
If they are the same prompts as last year then it is: "Please answer the following questions, restricting your answers to 500 characters or less."

If they are the same prompts as last year then it is: "Please answer the following questions, restricting your answers to 500 characters or less."
Thanks, hopefully it stays the same

What were the prompts from last years secondary?
  • Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
  • What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
  • Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.
  • What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
  • How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? (empty fill in blank for #s) hours per week. Optional brief comments about your study habits.
  • Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.
  • What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

• Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
  • What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
  • Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.
  • What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
  • How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? (empty fill in blank for #s) hours per week. Optional brief comments about your study habits.
  • Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.
  • What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?
Thank you, I appreciate it. Hopefully we get get confirmation of their secondary soon.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Hopefully we get get confirmation of their secondary soon.

Watch out though, it’s 500 CHARACTERS, not words. It pretty much comes out to be just a small paragraph.

Watch out though, it’s 500 CHARACTERS, not words. It pretty much comes out to be just a small paragraph.
I have it recorded as 500 words, where did you see 500 characters?

I have it recorded as 500 words, where did you see 500 characters?

I just remember that from applying last year. I don’t have access to the word doc right now but I can view it on my phone, and the longest essay I wrote had 84 words. Who knows, maybe they changed it for this year or maybe I did it wrong from last year, haha

I just remember that from applying last year. I don’t have access to the word doc right now but I can view it on my phone, and the longest essay I wrote had 84 words. Who knows, maybe they changed it for this year or maybe I did it wrong from last year, haha
Ooof if that is true, editing my prompts is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

It is 500 characters, at least it was last year. I remember my SOs secondary responses were just tiny paragraphs for each question.

Also you have quoted in a response about 10 posts back as “characters”

Also you have quoted in a response about 10 posts back as “characters”
Ah, guess I didn't pay as much attention to that. I pulled the quote from a thread of the 2018-2019 cycle where it said "characters" and in my word document I had "words" because it was from a different site. My mistake. I have updated it in my word file to avoid future confusion!

Last edited:
Ah, guess I didn't pay as much attention to that. I pulled the quote from a thread of the 2018-2019 cycle where it said "characters" and in my word document I had "words" because it was from a different site. My mistake. I have updated it in my word file to avoid future confusion!
Just trying to help! Best of luck with your cycle @rplanishek !

I think i recall seeing somewhere on last years thread they started getting 2˚ apps on the 23rd of July. So I would expect to be getting them any day now. At least I hope haha

EDIT: Now i just saw a thread and the guy didnt get his secondary until 8/10 so maybe it'll be a few days-weeks yet lol

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm an OMS-I at WVSOM. We've been in class for a little now, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about applications or school related things as well!

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary FINALLY recieved

Reactions: 3 users
Received and submitted! That was my last secondary! Yay! Now we wait.

500 characters for these prompts is crazy. Lol it’s like 100 words max.

I completely forgot that they required a DO letter to be considered complete. Meh. There is a DO fellow starting in August, at the hospice place I work at, and he has agreed to let me shadow him. Luckily, when I spoke to the lovely lady in admissions, she said the first interview day isn't until September 5th this year. So, anyone else who still needs to get a DO letter, we have time.

I completely forgot that they required a DO letter to be considered complete. Meh. There is a DO fellow starting in August, at the hospice place I work at, and he has agreed to let me shadow him. Luckily, when I spoke to the lovely lady in admissions, she said the first interview day isn't until September 5th this year. So, anyone else who still needs to get a DO letter, we have time.
Plenty of time. I didn't apply until late September last year and ended up ok.