West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was on the alternate list. It will move, though it doesnt seem so. Keep in touch with the school, shoot a letter of intent.

Members don't see this ad.

The alternate list is kinda like an empty fridge. You know the status hasn't changed, but you open the door anyway in hopes it did.

More like you are outside a party where they said we may let you in and you hear everyone partying but you!

Well from what I understand, their list gets pretty good movement. So I think if you don't have many alternatives, it's definitely worth the trip. Plus it's a fantastic school! I was very impressed on my interview day. Initially I thought I wasn't going to be interested, but it easily became my top choice.

out of curiosity, what changed your mind about the school? what did you like most /impressed you? thx

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Just checked my portal. Does anybody see college transcripts added to the checklist items? It was not there on Friday when I checked it in the morning, but when I checked it today my all colleges transcript with colleges name were added there like CT1 , CT2. Does anybody else see that on their portal.

I was on the alternate list. It will move, though it doesnt seem so. Keep in touch with the school, shoot a letter of intent.
I was doing some digging and it looks like you got offered a seat off the alternate list in May. I couldn't see your post about when you interviewed. I don't think that the alternate list moves quite like people think it does on here. Someone a few posts back was offered an acceptance off the alternate list like 2 weeks after she interviewed and she interviewed about 6 weeks after mine. Do you ever find out exactly how the alternate list moves?

Does anybody know if this means a status change is soon to follow? Also, 5000 - are you on the alternate list? And if so, when did you interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi! Just checked my portal. Does anybody see college transcripts added to the checklist items? It was not there on Friday when I checked it in the morning, but when I checked it today my all colleges transcript with colleges name were added there like CT1 , CT2. Does anybody else see that on their portal.
Does anybody know if this means a status change is soon to follow? Also, 5000 - are you on the alternate list? And if so, when did you interview?

Nevermind 5000, I found when you posted your interview and alt list

Anyone else noticed the same update on portal or it's just me and Doctor JCR

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 1/30 and I'm still on the waitlist. It's brutal waiting--as premed students we are planners by default and being in this position makes it sooo hard to figure out how to proceed. I'm wondering what people's strategies are for reapplying. Because some people don't get off the waitlist until June, presumably some of them may have reapplied and then withdrawn once they accepted a seat at WVSOM. I'm trying to plan for the possibility I won't be offered a seat at a school, and wondering if anyone knows anything about this weird liminal position we are in. The idea of doing apps all over again in may knowing it could be for nothing is ROUGH.

I interviewed 1/30 and I'm still on the waitlist. It's brutal waiting--as premed students we are planners by default and being in this position makes it sooo hard to figure out how to proceed. I'm wondering what people's strategies are for reapplying. Because some people don't get off the waitlist until June, presumably some of them may have reapplied and then withdrawn once they accepted a seat at WVSOM. I'm trying to plan for the possibility I won't be offered a seat at a school, and wondering if anyone knows anything about this weird liminal position we are in. The idea of doing apps all over again in may knowing it could be for nothing is ROUGH.

I think it depends on your situation, and where you think the weaknesses are in your application. I have plenty of healthcare experience so its not going to help me to scribe for one more year. My weakness is my sGPA, not to mention I took the old MCAT so I'll have to retake that. So the plan for me if I don't get in is to do a SMP and prove that I can handle medical school classes. If you were weaker on the experience/ volunteer front then you should look for a way to improve that part of your application

HI GUYS. My portal had my college name next to CT1 for awhile, but that is it. Was there anything else, such as grades and classes from the transcript added or just the name? I am also an alternate and interviewed in January. Good luck to us all.

Would I need 4WD to drive to Thursday's interview from the south, OOS? Do I need all season tires?

Sent from my SM-T550 using SDN mobile

Would anyone mind telling me where you are staying if your interviewing? Do the student there do like a hosting kind of thing, that I would assume is a lot cheaper than the hotels.

Would anyone mind telling me where you are staying if your interviewing? Do the student there do like a hosting kind of thing, that I would assume is a lot cheaper than the hotels.
I stayed at the Super 8 by the interstate, it was relatively cheap and breakfast is offered. There might be some students who do an airbnb type thing but I did not look into that

I stayed with a student. The house was listed on Air Bnb it was like 30 dollars

Reactions: 1 user

I also stayed at a student's air b&b. She was really cool and gave great insight and interview tips.

Thanks for the help guys!

Would anyone who is interviewing tomorrow, want to meet up?

Today is second deposit day. Any movement or anybody heard from them! Still on alternate list

I'd like to know if there is any movement too or if anyone is thinking about dropping their deposit for another school at least

No interview, but recently was placed on the decision differed list...I'm taking this as a rejection at this point. I suppose I just don't understand why they don't just send me my denial letter right now.

Hi on the checklist where it says transcript and college name, does it also says received date or it's just an empty space in received bar..

Hi on the checklist where it says transcript and college name, does it also says received date or it's just an empty space in received bar..
It was blank on mine and it was updated a couple weeks after I was placed on the alternate list in January. Movement seems to occur in April and May from previous years posts. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I was placed on WVSOM's alternate list in late January and am still waiting. I think most of us are "planners" and like to know what is going on. It is very hard being in this "limbo" of being qualified but not having anything official to show for it. It can be draining and stressful. I want to have hope, and I know it is still early, but it is extremely hard to at times. Anyone have any advice for people like myself?

I was placed on WVSOM's alternate list in late January and am still waiting. I think most of us are "planners" and like to know what is going on. It is very hard being in this "limbo" of being qualified but not having anything official to show for it. It can be draining and stressful. I want to have hope, and I know it is still early, but it is extremely hard to at times. Anyone have any advice for people like myself?

Go read last years thread. It made me feel better about how many people seem to get in off of the waitlist in April/May/June

Reactions: 2 users
I called Kimbra a couple of days ago and she said they wait a few days after the 2nd deposit deadline to make sure people get it in and then admissions will meet and address the wait list to fill the spots of people who didn't pay. she said this process takes weeks so there's a lot of movement in may.

Reactions: 1 users
So has anyone else gotten the status decision deferred POST interview? I've read in prior year forums that this was not a status they used frequently. Just wondering if I am the only one this year?

Has anyone heard about any movement since the deposit deadline?

Full accept occurred sometime overnight (checked by portal) accompanied by a survey email. Interviewed late February.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats you two! Domshopeful, what was your interview date in February?

congratulations, Could you share your stats? I interviewed on 2/27 , and alternate list 2/28, still waiting to hear from them.

Good to hear there's movement! Has anyone else been accepted from the alternate list lately?

Relax people there is considerable movement yet to happen. A lot of people not familiar with the region often drop out from this school because of location and costs. Little do they know what an amazing school this is. I interviewed in March and I was accepted later. Have patience. It'll work out.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guys,

Getting in a little late on the posting but have been following the thread for some time. I interviewed 1/19 wait listed 1/31 and am in the same awkward limbo phase many of you are. I put in a call to Julian last week on Wednesday to try for some additional information and have not received a call back. Just wondering if anyone has spoken to admissions in the last week and if they had any updates?

Relax people there is considerable movement yet to happen. A lot of people not familiar with the region often drop out from this school because of location and costs. Little do they know what an amazing school this is. I interviewed in March and I was accepted later. Have patience. It'll work out.
Thank you! We alternates need this encouragement.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Guys,

Getting in a little late on the posting but have been following the thread for some time. I interviewed 1/19 wait listed 1/31 and am in the same awkward limbo phase many of you are. I put in a call to Julian last week on Wednesday to try for some additional information and have not received a call back. Just wondering if anyone has spoken to admissions in the last week and if they had any updates?
I was told that movement will occur now until the first day of class. Rollovers may occur but that will be decided later. I too interviewed in January and was placed on the alternate list. Remember that unlike some schools making the alternate list is a form of acceptance. I hope that helps. Admission can not give you more information than that from what I was told., such as percentages and chance of rollovers. So we just need to stay calm and be supportive and hopefully we will be all together come July :)

I was told that movement will occur now until the first day of class. Rollovers may occur but that will be decided later. I too interviewed in January and was placed on the alternate list. Remember that unlike some schools making the alternate list is a form of acceptance. I hope that helps. Admission can not give you more information than that from what I was told., such as percentages and chance of rollovers. So we just need to stay calm and be supportive and hopefully we will be all together come July :)

That is pretty much the consensus I have heard. Every school treats their alternates differently, but it definitely appears WVSOM views theirs well. Thank you for your reply. Like you said, need to stay calm / supportive and hope for the best!