West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First year too, if you or anyone else needs any advice

Awesome! I'll start a thread. But my most pertinent question is having gone through the interview process yourself, what would you say the best way I could prepare is? or what things should I keep in mind when interviewing and preparing? It will be my first interview!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome! I'll start a thread. But my most pertinent question is having gone through the interview process yourself, what would you say the best way I could prepare is? or what things should I keep in mind when interviewing and preparing? It will be my first interview!
Thanks!

Firstly, try not to stress. The interview process here is so much more relaxed and laid back than other schools. My interview here was my first interview as well.
Secondly, know your app inside and out. If you have exotic things/experiences, be ready to talk about them. They seem to pick out interesting and unique parts of people's apps and ask about those things in detail. Obviously, know the basic and generic questions: why medicine? why DO? why WVSOM? if you come from a large metro city, be ready to answer why you want to come to a school in the middle of know where.

Lastly, I would recommend watching Kevin Ahern's youtube lectures on med school interviews: here is part one. He has a lot of general tips that helped me, from how to stand and walk, and how to sit and keep eye contact. Seems so dumb but it makes a big difference in terms of radiating confidence and maturity.

Reactions: 1 user