West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone accepted and on here for this new incoming class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone comment on what it's like living in WV? How rural are we talking?

Can someone comment on what it's like living in WV? How rural are we talking?

I love WV, but I've lived here my whole life. There's plenty to keep you busy if you like the outdoors. It really isn't how we are portrayed on TV lol my city has so many people you get stuck in traffic everywhere you go and too many stores/restaurants to count so it isn't as rural as it's made out to be, in my opinion.

One of my favorite school so far. Hope to get accepted here this cycle.

Does anyone know when secondaries are issued for WVSOM

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, when and if any WVSOM alumni stroll by this post:

Based on your opinion and your observations thus far, how receptive is the school to older applicants—career changer-types?

@radian313 Do you happen to know what percentage of interviews are OOS? Or at least in your group when you went

Oh okay, thanks. Sorry I didn't see that when I looked. So it seems to be very OOS friendly

Oh okay, thanks. Sorry I didn't see that when I looked. So it seems to be very OOS friendly

Above all, they seem to be a very mission oriented school. They really want to see if you have worked with underserved, unprivileged communities because thats what their goal is to close that service gap in rural areas.

They seem to also be friendly to neighboring states as well, especially in the Appalachian region.

Again all this is my opinion.

But above all, probably the nicest admissions administration Ive seen and met.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope they change their secondaries this year lol. 500 characters are not a lot...

Do you have to have your MCAT score submitted for a secondary for this school?

edit: Hi, please disregard my previous posts because they were in regards to the WVU SOM (MD program) and I can't read. Ok, thanks.

P.S. Sorry for possibly scaring everyone! Good luck anyways!

Last edited:
To all who are applying to this school. This school is simply awesome. I am an accepted student here and the process was very professional, not to mention probably the nicest admissions staff I have ever encountered. I interviewed at other schools, but chose this school simply because I felt right at home and felt I'd be able to fit right in. I really felt they looked at me like a human being and understand what I had to offer other than my numbers.

Just recently, Greenbriar County (Lewisburg, WV) and surrounding areas had a tragedy due in which greater than two dozen people died due to the massive flooding and storms that passed through the area. To see the so many supporting emails, and seeing senior WVSOM staff members and students/family members wake up on a Sunday morning to go help out in the community passing out supplies was remarkable and a testament to the idea in what kind of physicians they want to make. Not only that, so many people are chipping in to help near and far. The sense of community in this area is amazing. I am starting to see why the students seemed so happy during my interview day.

I just wanted to share my two cents because in a world full of negativity, people often get conditioned NOT to give praise and credit where its due, but WVSOM is simply a great place from what I can see.

If you have any questions throughout this process, please PM me. Good luck to everyone applying.

Reactions: 2 users
To all who are applying to this school. This school is simply awesome. I am an accepted student here and the process was very professional, not to mention probably the nicest admissions staff I have ever encountered. I interviewed at other schools, but chose this school simply because I felt right at home and felt I'd be able to fit right in. I really felt they looked at me like a human being and understand what I had to offer other than my numbers.

Just recently, Greenbriar County (Lewisburg, WV) and surrounding areas had a tragedy due in which greater than two dozen people died due to the massive flooding and storms that passed through the area. To see the so many supporting emails, and seeing senior WVSOM staff members and students/family members wake up on a Sunday morning to go help out in the community passing out supplies was remarkable and a testament to the idea in what kind of physicians they want to make. Not only that, so many people are chipping in to help near and far. The sense of community in this area is amazing. I am starting to see why the students seemed so happy during my interview day.

I just wanted to share my two cents because in a world full of negativity, people often get conditioned NOT to give praise and credit where its due, but WVSOM is simply a great place from what I can see.

If you have any questions throughout this process, please PM me. Good luck to everyone applying.

So far, the school has leave positive impact in me. All the staff I've been in contacted with since april was very helpful (mr. Seams)

Feel very sync with this school and LECOM atm.

Just to give everyone a heads up.... I wouldn't expect a secondary until early August, at the earliest. Last cycle I received mine mid August and interviewed mid September. Of all the interviews I went to, the faculty was by far the most genuine and kind. I'm going to be a fisrt year in a few weeks, if you have any questions feel free to send them my way. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just to give everyone a heads up.... I wouldn't expect a secondary until early August, at the earliest. Last cycle I received mine mid August and interviewed mid September. Of all the interviews I went to, the faculty was by far the most genuine and kind. I'm going to be a fisrt year in a few weeks, if you have any questions feel free to send them my way. Good luck!!

See you soon :)

Wish they send out secondaries already

Part of the reason is the adcoms are probably still working on previous cycles applicants in getting them off the waitlists to ensure the class is full becAuse there are always last minute withdrawals. In the mean time I would really get to know the school in and out and make good talking points during the interview.

Part of the reason is the adcoms are probably still working on previous cycles applicants in getting them off the waitlists to ensure the class is full becAuse there are always last minute withdrawals. In the mean time I would really get to know the school in and out and make good talking points during the interview.

Yeah. I'm doing a lot of research about the school since April till now. Take a lot of notes too. Just have no financial condition to visit

Did anyone get an email saying WVSOM received an primary application from ACOMAS?

Did anyone receive a secondary already or should we be expecting them around August?

Did anyone get an email saying WVSOM received an primary application from ACOMAS?

Did anyone receive a secondary already or should we be expecting them around August?
I haven't heard anything, and I submitted the first day AACOMAS opened.

I haven't heard anything, and I submitted the first day AACOMAS opened.
I did the same thing and haven't heard yet either. I called about a week ago and they said they hadn't gotten too far into it yet. Also looking at the thread from last year it seems like they can come a little bit later. No worries though I'm sure we'll be good!

I agree, Lewisburg and the people in the town are just great people. The staff is welcoming and so are the students that are already there. Good luck to all still waiting for interviews!

Third year checking in. Just started clinical rotations. Happy to answer any questions regarding applying, the school, Lewisburg area, etc. etc. Good luck this year!

WVSOM just tweeted that they were having trouble sending out the secondary and to "keep an eye on our emails"

Reactions: 3 users
So secondaries have not been sent out yet? The only schools i have not heard anything from is LMU and WVSOM

So secondaries have not been sent out yet? The only schools i have not heard anything from is LMU and WVSOM

Lmu won't download application for a while. And WVSOM don't send secondary until August.

It's just WVSOM and both PCOMs I'm waiting a secondary for. Hopefully it comes soon. :)