West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear everyone who is accepted but not likely to take a seat at WVSOM,

Kindly notify the admissions department ASAP because some of us are getting hemrrhoids.

Sincerely,
Some of Us

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I was told that I was pre-interview deferred decision. I sent over my updated transcripts and my updated resume. I recently presented my research at a international conference and wanted the admissions committee to get a better look at the commitments and extracurriculars I took. Is there a chance I could get in at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that I was pre-interview deferred decision. I sent over my updated transcripts and my updated resume. I recently presented my research at a international conference and wanted the admissions committee to get a better look at the commitments and extracurriculars I took. Is there a chance I could get in at all?
I was told last week by admissions that they have completed all their interviews.

I was on the alternate list. It will move, though it doesnt seem so. Keep in touch with the school, shoot a letter of intent.
Question for you! I was accepted off the alternate list recently and will be putting down my deposit Monday, does WVSOM hold an accepted students day? Or is it just orientation in July?

Any updates on movement on Alternate list . Worried as each day is passing . Did any body contact the admission office .

Reactions: 1 user
Any updates on movement on Alternate list . Worried as each day is passing . Did any body contact the admission office .

Negative. I'm trying not to pester admissions I don't wanna be that guy lol

Was moved for Post Interview Hold to the Alternate List today. Also received an email inquiring if I was still interested in WVSOM and remaining on their alternate list. Anyone else get this email? Do you guys think they are just trying to "clean up" their alternate list?

Reactions: 4 users
i got the email too. im sure they are just trying to filter out those who are no longer interested but were put on the alternate list so that when they take people off of it and offer them a seat, they dont deny it and have to go back and look at this list over and over again

Reactions: 3 users
Also got the same email a little while ago. Interesting.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today was also a deposit due date for some, so fingers crossed to those on the alternate list that seats opened up!

Does anyone know how the alternate list works? Do they rank applicants or is it by interview date, or even date placed on list. I interviewed in November, but was just placed on the list today. If anyone knows how they pull from list, I would love to know.

Does anyone know how the alternate list works? Do they rank applicants or is it by interview date, or even date placed on list. I interviewed in November, but was just placed on the list today. If anyone knows how they pull from list, I would love to know.
not really sure. I was placed on alternate list not long after my interview which was feb 3rd and have remained there since

My friends, relax, there is still a bit of time, the season for waitlist movement is starting. I have a feeling a lot of you will be called soon. What seems to be happening is, they are trying to clean up the list, and rightfully so, because why keep someone on the list who has no intention of attending? Relax, drink some Pina colada, and binge on some Netflix....:)

My friends, relax, there is still a bit of time, the season for waitlist movement is starting. I have a feeling a lot of you will be called soon. What seems to be happening is, they are trying to clean up the list, and rightfully so, because why keep someone on the list who has no intention of attending? Relax, drink some Pina colada, and binge on some Netflix....:)
You mean frantically and stressfully study to retake the MCAT in time of next cycle...

HaHa! Easy for you to say, but if I remember correctly from last year's thread, you weren't exactly "worry free" either! Trying to remain hopeful, but it's a long ride and staying hopeful comes and goes. I crave information...helps me remain calm, so trying to get all the info I can gather about the alternate list and it's workings helps me remain calm. Hopefully I be able to look back when I am a student and give others the same advice you're giving us.

HaHa! Easy for you to say, but if I remember correctly from last year's thread, you weren't exactly "worry free" either! Trying to remain hopeful, but it's a long ride and staying hopeful comes and goes. I crave information...helps me remain calm, so trying to get all the info I can gather about the alternate list and it's workings helps me remain calm. Hopefully I be able to look back when I am a student and give others the same advice you're giving us.

ExActly my friend. Im trying to help you all out. People last year helped me. I know its not easy. But have faith. Many adcoms will only place folks on a list if they believe they will be able to offer an admission. Also last year I was told to wait until atleast mid june to think about reapplying.

Again it isnt easy but it takes one to say yes, you are all in a decent spot.

Reactions: 2 users
You mean frantically and stressfully study to retake the MCAT in time of next cycle...

Too early for that. Id you need to retake the mcAt, give yourself a few weeks off. If you dive in right now, you will be basing alot of it on emotion and that often messes with your methodical cognition.

ExActly my friend. Im trying to help you all out. People last year helped me. I know its not easy. But have faith. Many adcoms will only place folks on a list if they believe they will be able to offer an admission. Also last year I was told to wait until atleast mid june to think about reapplying.

Again it isnt easy but it takes one to say yes, you are all in a decent spot.
Thanks...advice is appreciated. Another question since you are 1st year...is everything going well? Are you still happy with your choice to attend WVCOM? I know it was a long wait for you, so I hope you are having an awesome year!

Made a very difficult decision to give up my spot here today. I loved this school but I got into a school closer to my family. Hope my spot goes to one of you!!

Too early for that. Id you need to retake the mcAt, give yourself a few weeks off. If you dive in right now, you will be basing alot of it on emotion and that often messes with your methodical cognition.
I'm an American, and America was built on emotion and drive my friend. You can never work hard enough for what you want.

I'm an American, and America was built on emotion and drive my friend. You can never work hard enough for what you want.

Ofcourse. I know how you feel because Im an American too. Drive? Yep we all have it. I actually invite you to read my post about motivation I posted recently. Search "need motivation" youll have an idea how the idea of being an underdog in this medical field drove me to success just like you my friend. Wish you the best.

Thanks...advice is appreciated. Another question since you are 1st year...is everything going well? Are you still happy with your choice to attend WVCOM? I know it was a long wait for you, so I hope you are having an awesome year!

Sent you a PM

Any word for anyone since those emails this week?? I interviewed 2/24 alt list 2/28 and got that email 4/4 this week asking if I was still interested... I appreciate the advice and help radian313, look foreword to seeing you soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any word for anyone since those emails this week?? I interviewed 2/24 alt list 2/28 and got that email 4/4 this week asking if I was still interested... I appreciate the advice and help radian313, look foreword to seeing you soon!!

Nope I haven't

Nothing here

I spoke to Gwen, she's the admissions director and the woman who sent those emails. She basically said to not get too excited until July.

I spoke to Gwen, she's the admissions director and the woman who sent those emails. She basically said to not get too excited until July.

Meaning they don't anticipate any movement at this point until then? Or they had a lot of movement recently and have already filled spots...

Meaning they don't anticipate any movement at this point until then? Or they had a lot of movement recently and have already filled spots...
I was told most of the movement occurs late May into June. I think it means it's too early to worry...

I was the last interview last year and I was accepted at may 26 at 4:32 pm. Tears of joy trust me. Youll never forget that moment. I havent.

Just got the email and phone call saying I was accepted. Guess im gonna be a doctor!

Congratulations! Super happy for you. Mind sharing your interview date and stats?

Interviewed on 2/20/17 and was put on alternate list as they stated might happen since it was so late.
This is my second cycle, but first time applying to WVSOM. Currently wait listed at 3 other schools, but this is my top choice.

1st MCAT = 27, 2nd retake MCAT = 504
cPGA = 3.43, sGPA =3.1

Interviewed on 2/20/17 and was put on alternate list as they stated might happen since it was so late.
This is my second cycle, but first time applying to WVSOM. Currently wait listed at 3 other schools, but this is my top choice.

1st MCAT = 27, 2nd retake MCAT = 504
cPGA = 3.43, sGPA =3.1

I remember seeing you were waitlisted at 4 schools...happy that you got your top choice. Praying I will get to join you.

Does any one know when is the first day of class and the white coat ceremony?

I have been keeping in touch with people from my interview date and it looks like two of them were recently accepted off the waitlist, but gave up their seats at WVSOM. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Does any one know when is the first day of class and the white coat ceremony?

First day of class is July 24. Idk about white coat but the academic calendar from previous years suggests late august

First day of class is July 24. Idk about white coat but the academic calendar from previous years suggests late august

Is July 24th orientation, or is that the 1st day of class and orientation is prior to that?

So then when is orientation?
Not sure, to be honest. Someone said that orientation starts the 24th, but WVSOM's website said the 24th is the first day of classes. What I've gathered is that there isn't an official orientation for this school, it just kind of starts when it starts lol. I'll send an E-mail to them to find out for sure.

Last edited:
July 24 is first day of orientation. First day of class is July 28.