West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the tuition and fees section on the school's site, it says that the school will provide us with a laptop. Anyone know what kind it is? Not that I'm picky, just curious :p

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In the tuition and fees section on the school's site, it says that the school will provide us with a laptop. Anyone know what kind it is? Not that I'm picky, just curious :p

+1!! I asked this earlier to no avail haha

Members don't see this ad :)
+1!! I asked this earlier to no avail haha

The school seems to arbitrarily choose computers for each class. My class (of 2018) got these chunky Dell Latitude laptops (although they had Core i7s), class of 2019 got Lenovo Thinkpads, and Class of 2020 got Surface Pro 2s. Who knows what yall will get :) If you really want to know just shoot them an email. They may have not even decided on computers for class of 2021 yet.

Reactions: 1 user
The school seems to arbitrarily choose computers for each class. My class (of 2018) got these chunky Dell Latitude laptops (although they had Core i7s), class of 2019 got Lenovo Thinkpads, and Class of 2020 got Surface Pro 2s. Who knows what yall will get :) If you really want to know just shoot them an email. They may have not even decided on computers for class of 2021 yet.
Omg, a dell?! :eek: As long as it isn't a Dell for our class I'll be okay!! Haha thanks, I might send them an email and ask then.

So this laptop thing is something that puzzled me. The second years during my interview mentioned that the class prior votes on a laptop type for the next (incoming class). It's like basically a rental laptop. But like, how much do you use that laptop over your own personal laptop? I'm about to be buying a new personal one for myself, mainly because I just need a new laptop. But I'm curious whether or not the school-issued laptop is something that everyone ends up using all the time?

So this laptop thing is something that puzzled me. The second years during my interview mentioned that the class prior votes on a laptop type for the next (incoming class). It's like basically a rental laptop. But like, how much do you use that laptop over your own personal laptop? I'm about to be buying a new personal one for myself, mainly because I just need a new laptop. But I'm curious whether or not the school-issued laptop is something that everyone ends up using all the time?

Your call really. If you don't have money, then don't buy a laptop since the school will provide you with one. I had a few classmates that had their own laptops/desktops and continued to use them and only used the school laptops for exam days (have to use them for that at the very least).

I used the school issued laptop during the first two years pretty much exclusively and had no issues, plus the school fixes it if there are any problems. I'm assuming this incoming class will get something nice like a Surface Pro, so I'd wait and see if you like the school issued laptop unless you absolutely need to buy one now.

Does anyone have any idea of when they begin to re-evaluate "decision deferred" statuses? I have sent in an additional LOR, as well as an update letter since my status changed in December. I would assume its towards the end of the interview cycle?

I think I'll send them an email as well. If you happen to hear back before me, please share what you find out! :)

Yeah of course! I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
Your call really. If you don't have money, then don't buy a laptop since the school will provide you with one. I had a few classmates that had their own laptops/desktops and continued to use them and only used the school laptops for exam days (have to use them for that at the very least).

I used the school issued laptop during the first two years pretty much exclusively and had no issues, plus the school fixes it if there are any problems. I'm assuming this incoming class will get something nice like a Surface Pro, so I'd wait and see if you like the school issued laptop unless you absolutely need to buy one now.
Yeah, I've been using a Macbook Air throughout college and thought about selling it but I think I'm going to bring it with me and keep it for personal use when it's time to start school. That way I have options in case whatever we get is insufficient for whatever reason.

What do u mean by a rental laptop? Were you referring to their quality or do we have to give them back after 4 years? Just want to make sure! Thanks :)

What do u mean by a rental laptop? Were you referring to their quality or do we have to give them back after 4 years? Just want to make sure! Thanks :)

Rental as in, they give you a laptop for your time as a wvsom student. I don't believe the laptops they give the class are for their's to keep forever haha

Decision deferred since August with nothing missing. Silent rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Decision deferred since August with nothing missing. Silent rejection?

They don't seem to be a silent rejection type of school. They really seem to care about their applicants. Have you emailed or called for an update? They are also very receptive to letters of interest. Give it a shot :)

Alternate list. Post-interview. Keeping my fingers crossed for lots of movement.

Last edited:
Alternate list. Post-interview. Keeping my fingers crossed for lots of movement.

Just gave up my spot, hope it goes to you! Hardest decision I have ever made, but had to make it quickly before paying that $2000

Reactions: 1 users
They don't seem to be a silent rejection type of school. They really seem to care about their applicants. Have you emailed or called for an update? They are also very receptive to letters of interest. Give it a shot :)
I don't think they do either. I've been on "decision deferred" status since December and just sent Angie Bower an update letter last week. She thanked me for being patient and said that she had no idea why they haven't re-reviewed files yet.

Sit tight :)

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think there's any merit to sending a letter that essentially just reiterates my interest in the program and explains why I want to go to WVSOM? I don't have any real "updates". This WL anxiety is no fun:(

Post-interview: Alternate List. Interviewed this week.

Rental as in, they give you a laptop for your time as a wvsom student. I don't believe the laptops they give the class are for their's to keep forever haha

Actually they are yours to keep. During your time as a student they are technically property of wvsom (all repairs etc are done through them) then upon graduation ownership is transferred to the student/graduate. This is directly from the admissions counselor.

Alternate listed today. Interviewed yesterday. 3.1 sGPA, 3.45 cGPA, 32 MCAT

Hi, everyone!
Interviewed on 2/27/17. OOS. Alternate list yesterday. What does it really mean?. When to expect something from them. Only one interview for this season. Anyone reply, who knows how alternate list move.

Anyone know about any movement? Just got put on the Alternate list yesterday :)

Hi, everyone!
Interviewed on 2/27/17. OOS. Alternate list yesterday. What does it really mean?. When to expect something from them. Only one interview for this season. Anyone reply, who knows how alternate list move.
I got off the phone with admission committee member today, he explained that the alternate list means they have accepted you but there is currently just no room. As there is movement with people giving up there spot, they will let you know on a chronological basis (first come first serve) right now. When the alternate list is full after the last interview set they rank everyone

They are yours to keep if you graduate, you have to give it back if you drop out. IF you break it before you graduate you have to buy another one to replace it.

Anyone know about any movement or is planning on giving up their spot?? This school is definitely my dream school

Waiting anxiously to see some movement on the alternate list.

Anyone know about any movement or is planning on giving up their spot?? This school is definitely my dream school

Admissions mentioned second deposit (March 15) is typically when they see the most movement.

Last edited:
Recently placed on alternate list. Can anyone provide any insight as to whether or not you move from an alternate list to acceptance? Or to a weight list and then possible acceptance? Called admissions, but did not get a hold of anyone today. Thank you!

Recently placed on alternate list. Can anyone provide any insight as to whether or not you move from an alternate list to acceptance? Or to a weight list and then possible acceptance? Called admissions, but did not get a hold of anyone today. Thank you!

From what I understand, being placed on the alternate list is an indication that you have all the qualifications for acceptance, but they simply do not have room for you in the class at the moment. Once students decide which schools they are attending for the upcoming year, and spots open up in the 2021 class, then those people placed on the alternate list will be offered admission.

For those of you on the alternate list, when you check your status on the online portal (under "Check application status") does it have the correct interview date? The date that shows up on this page is not the date of my interview.

For those of you on the alternate list, when you check your status on the online portal (under "Check application status") does it have the correct interview date? The date that shows up on this page is not the date of my interview.

Mine has the correct day that I interviewed

I have the correct date too. Any updates on alternate list movement

Is it safe to assume now any interview will be either WL or Straight out reject?

Is it safe to assume now any interview will be either WL or Straight out reject?

They told us at the end of my interview day last week that we interviewed for the alternate list.

Reactions: 2 users
They told us at the end of my interview day last week that we interviewed for the alternate list.

Thank you for the reply, why would someone make an effort for a sure WL! are they still inviting people for interview?

Thank you for the reply, why would someone make an effort for a sure WL! are they still inviting people for interview?

Well from what I understand, their list gets pretty good movement. So I think if you don't have many alternatives, it's definitely worth the trip. Plus it's a fantastic school! I was very impressed on my interview day. Initially I thought I wasn't going to be interested, but it easily became my top choice.

Reactions: 2 users
The alternate list is kinda like an empty fridge. You know the status hasn't changed, but you open the door anyway in hopes it did.