UWSMPH v. UC Davis--SDN...plz help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorHope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between UW and UC Davis and need your help! I'm from California and would be away from home either way...except farther if I choose UW. I like both programs, except I like UW's a little more. Financial aid is similar for both. I'm driving my family crazy and tearing myself apart trying to decide, really I AM (it's weird, never thought such a thing could happen)! Anyone has ANY tips based on your experiences, what you've read, or heard? Thanks A LOT everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you referring to University of Wisconsin? If so I'd say go to UC-Davis if that's your instate. Unless you got a sizable scholarship I think Wisconsin is still going to be a little bit if not quite a bit more expensive than UC for you as an OOS. UC-Davis has a good reputation too and while I love UW-most likely will be matriculating there in the fall myself, I don't think there's too much of a difference in opportunities that you're going to be able to get at either school to justify paying many thousands more a year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you referring to University of Wisconsin? If so I'd say go to UC-Davis if that's your instate. Unless you got a sizable scholarship I think Wisconsin is still going to be a little bit if not quite a bit more expensive than UC for you as an OOS. UC-Davis has a good reputation too and while I love UW-most likely will be matriculating there in the fall myself, I don't think there's too much of a difference in opportunities that you're going to be able to get at either school to justify paying many thousands more a year.

I'm not sure if financially, the difference is many thousands more. UW's OOS tuition is relatively cheap, low-to-mid 30s I think, which is maybe 1 or 2 thousand more than the current in-state tuition at UC Davis. Factor in the in cost-of-living, and the difference may be a wash. OP is not going to be able to live at home (and thus save money) in either case.

OP perhaps you could be more specific on what you value most in a medical school (cost? location? the people? profit?jkjk) and determine which school has the advantage

I interviewed at both schools and like both a lot. Obviously I attend UW, but Davis was much higher on my final list than I would have thought it would be.

Couple thoughts:

1) UW is a much stronger school in terms of research.

2) Davis has much better climate and has a great location.

3) I think Madison is a much more charming city than Sacremento.

4) UCD has a nice curriculum and you finish 3rd year around April which is really nice for 4th year planning.

5) UCD has a more diverse patient population.

Did you go to 2nd look?

Thanks for responding all!

byurazorhog-yes, I'm referring to UW. Money is not an issue as my UW scholarship covers the OOS tuition fees, so I'll be paying just like an IS. And my UCD scholarship gives me enough so I pay exactly the same as at UW.

HAV000-yup you're right about the $$$. I honestly value quality of education and best preparation for residency over everything else.

drizzt3117-yes, I went to 2nd look at both schools. I agree with all points, except #2 "great location"...I wish it was at Davis not Sacramento :p. In terms of diversity, totally, and I love that (UCD clinics are great, how do UWs clinics compare?). I've worked with diverse populations for years and I plan to do so as MD. Is it worth to go to WI to get a diff. perspective?

One more thing, let me ask you guys in terms of education how to know which schools is "better"? Will give best prep for residency?

btw, byurazorhog I thought you'd be staying in Oregon (remember from post weeks ago :p)?

and drizzt3117, from previous post you said you'd be the only 3rd year during 2nd look (didn't see post til after 2nd look --dumb me :oops:), were you the one in the morning student panel along with 2 women and 1 guy?

Thanks for responding all!

byurazorhog-yes, I'm referring to UW. Money is not an issue as my UW scholarship covers the OOS tuition fees, so I'll be paying just like an IS. And my UCD scholarship gives me enough so I pay exactly the same as at UW.

HAV000-yup you're right about the $$$. I honestly value quality of education and best preparation for residency over everything else.

drizzt3117-yes, I went to 2nd look at both schools. I agree with all points, except #2 "great location"...I wish it was at Davis not Sacramento :p. In terms of diversity, totally, and I love that (UCD clinics are great, how do UWs clinics compare?). I've worked with diverse populations for years and I plan to do so as MD. Is it worth to go to WI to get a diff. perspective?

One more thing, let me ask you guys in terms of education how to know which schools is "better"? Will give best prep for residency?

UW is higher ranked as a research institution (so says at least USNWR). From what I understand though, getting the "best prep" for competitive residencies depends on which residency you wish to get into. For the sake of an example, perhaps derm research is better at UCD while other research is not, and UCD's derm director, faculty, and researchers are more highly regarded than UW's among the derm residencies, thus their LORs are weighed more heavily. IMO UW has a better ranking but not much better ranking (e.g. HMS, Wash U, etc) to make that a top, compelling factor. Did you have a specialty in mind?

I interviewed at both schools and like both a lot. Obviously I attend UW, but Davis was much higher on my final list than I would have thought it would be.

Couple thoughts:

1) UW is a much stronger school in terms of research.

2) Davis has much better climate and has a great location.

3) I think Madison is a much more charming city than Sacremento.

4) UCD has a nice curriculum and you finish 3rd year around April which is really nice for 4th year planning.

5) UCD has a more diverse patient population.

Did you go to 2nd look?

drizzt what were your ultimate deciding factors for choosing UW if you don't mind me asking? and are you from CA as well?

UW is higher ranked as a research institution (so says at least USNWR). From what I understand though, getting the "best prep" for competitive residencies depends on which residency you wish to get into. For the sake of an example, perhaps derm research is better at UCD while other research is not, and UCD's derm director, faculty, and researchers are more highly regarded than UW's among the derm residencies, thus their LORs are weighed more heavily. IMO UW has a better ranking but not much better ranking (e.g. HMS, Wash U, etc) to make that a top, compelling factor. Did you have a specialty in mind?

I'm thinking primary care (not competitive at all), but considering neurology and general surgery also. I was thinking about the ranking as well, UW is not in the top 10 nor an Ivy, but I'm not sure how 16 spots higher may make a difference come residency application time. Thanks for your input!

btw, byurazorhog I thought you'd be staying in Oregon (remember from post weeks ago :p)?

and drizzt3117, from previous post you said you'd be the only 3rd year during 2nd look (didn't see post til after 2nd look --dumb me :oops:), were you the one in the morning student panel along with 2 women and 1 guy?

yep that's me.

UW is MUCH better at research than UCD. It's not even close. We just built a billion dollar research facility next to our med school. USNWR ranks NIH funding. UW has a gigantic research endowment and billions of dollars in private research funding, it's the cradle and center of embyronic stem cell research in the US. We also have enormous funding for students doing research. Last year over 100 students received $6000 to do summer research here. UW is a world-class research institution and we take it very seriously. One of the people I work with closely is a leading candidate to receive a Nobel Prize (one of the developers of angiography and radial MRI). It's not uncommon to work with faculty like this as a med student and be given the autonomy to run your own projects with research technicians and graduate students reporting directly to you.

That being said, all of this is less important if you're not really interested in academic medicine. For primary care, though, it'd be hard to beat the environment you'd be in here. UW has programs in place where you can do a rural primary care experience with a preceptor for 6 weeks and see your own patients, and manage their care from intake to discharge, with minimal involvement from your preceptor. You can rotate at different state-wide sites that can give you an urban experience (Milwaukee) or smaller town experiences at various other places.

In the end, IMO, the OP needs to weigh how much they want to stay in CA and how much they like each school. In the end, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Don't get me wrong, I really like UCD, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone go there.

As far as why I chose UW, I ended up going here over programs like Yale, Stanford, UCLA, etc, more for personal reasons than anything else, my parents live here, I lived in CA for 6 years, so I had dual state residency when I applied. Getting a full-ride here didn't hurt either in my decision making process.

UW is MUCH better at research than UCD. It's not even close. We just built a billion dollar research facility next to our med school. USNWR ranks NIH funding. UW has a gigantic research endowment and billions of dollars in private research funding, it's the cradle and center of embyronic stem cell research in the US. We also have enormous funding for students doing research. Last year over 100 students received $6000 to do summer research here. UW is a world-class research institution and we take it very seriously. One of the people I work with closely is a leading candidate to receive a Nobel Prize (one of the developers of angiography and radial MRI). It's not uncommon to work with faculty like this as a med student and be given the autonomy to run your own projects with research technicians and graduate students reporting directly to you.

That being said, all of this is less important if you're not really interested in academic medicine. For primary care, though, it'd be hard to beat the environment you'd be in here. UW has programs in place where you can do a rural primary care experience with a preceptor for 6 weeks and see your own patients, and manage their care from intake to discharge, with minimal involvement from your preceptor. You can rotate at different state-wide sites that can give you an urban experience (Milwaukee) or smaller town experiences at various other places.

In the end, IMO, the OP needs to weigh how much they want to stay in CA and how much they like each school. In the end, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Don't get me wrong, I really like UCD, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone go there.

As far as why I chose UW, I ended up going here over programs like Yale, Stanford, UCLA, etc, more for personal reasons than anything else, my parents live here, I lived in CA for 6 years, so I had dual state residency when I applied. Getting a full-ride here didn't hurt either in my decision making process.

All very good points. Truly not an easy decision. I can see why AMCAS has to set deadlines for us lol

I'm thinking primary care (not competitive at all), but considering neurology and general surgery also. I was thinking about the ranking as well, UW is not in the top 10 nor an Ivy, but I'm not sure how 16 spots higher may make a difference come residency application time. Thanks for your input!

I think the ranking is less important than the specific experiences you can have at each place.

UW is MUCH better at research than UCD.
Yup, I agree.

For primary care, though, it'd be hard to beat the environment you'd be in here. UW has programs in place where you can do a rural primary care experience with a preceptor for 6 weeks and see your own patients, and manage their care from intake to discharge, with minimal involvement from your preceptor. You can rotate at different state-wide sites that can give you an urban experience (Milwaukee) or smaller town experiences at various other places.

These are some of the main reasons why I think it'd be beneficial to go to UW. UCD pretty much offers no rural medical exposure unless you're part of Rural-PRIME/San Joaquin Valley, at least that's what I was told by the Dr. that oversees the program. Plus, this would be my only chance to live somewhere other than CA for an extended period of time as I plan to do residency and practice in CA. However, I do like the P/F system at UCD...sounds like it'd be less stressful. But no gut feeling yet. Grrr.

All very good points. Truly not an easy decision. I can see why AMCAS has to set deadlines for us lol

Oh yes, if not I'd be one of those who decides until June (or even later :laugh:) !

If you don't mind sharing, where are you headed HAV000?

If you don't mind sharing, where are you headed HAV000?

I'm trying to make a similar (last-minute) decision by feeling things out just like you. In-state (CA) vs out-of-state. great school vs "better" school. High cost vs higher cost. Gah. I guess we'll both know where we're going in another day or so, won't we?

However, I do like the P/F system at UCD...sounds like it'd be less stressful. But no gut feeling yet, Grr.

I'll preface this by saying 2nd year grades don't matter. Seriously. They don't! In some ways, though, you can think of having a year of graded basic science as decreasing boards anxiety, because it's another data point to look at for basic science performance. If the pre-clinical years are purely p/f, then step 1 matters that much more.

I'm trying to make a similar (last-minute) decision by feeling things out just like you. In-state (CA) vs out-of-state. great school vs "better" school. High cost vs higher cost. Gah. I guess we'll both know where we're going in another day or so, won't we?

Yeah, tough call. :luck: making the decision! And yeah, by tomorrow we should know :D

I'll preface this by saying 2nd year grades don't matter. Seriously. They don't! In some ways, though, you can think of having a year of graded basic science as decreasing boards anxiety, because it's another data point to look at for basic science performance. If the pre-clinical years are purely p/f, then step 1 matters that much more.

That's a good point. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.