uGPA science 3.71, nonscience 3.75, masters 3.56

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbspftw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing undergrad and masters all in four years. UG in Biology with Honors Thesis, and Grad in Biomedical Informatics (1 year masters) that we are allowed to cram in four years with our undergrad. BMI masters is basically filled with more CS, STATS, miscellaneous, and a Chem lab (which I needed in order to fulfill masters units but it's also a premed requirement and fulfills year of CHEM).

I'm wondering how my profile looks for medical school. I mean I did fine in the chem lab, so I hope they won't raise eyebrows thinking that I haven't done chem lab (it's just on my master's transcript and not on my undergrad one).

I'm more worried about my master's GPA looking bad. Would this hurt my med school application? I have checked off all other requirements (research (a 5th author Cell publication), 150 clinical volunteering in college (120 in high school), 150 hours shadowing), and am going to Cambridge on Gates Cambridge Fellowship next year.

thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of how difficult your Master's is and the publications, you will need to explain the drop in GPA. TBH with your extracurriculars, undergraduate GPA, and assumming you obtain a high MCAT score (you seem like a bright lad) there was really no reason to go for the Master's and take the GPA hit. Once you get to medical school you could always do a combined degree program.