UB vs Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lacrossegirl21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten into both (UB and Upstate) and I am having a hard time deciding between the two. I just want to hear people's thoughts on the two and hopefully this will help me make my decision.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Upstate

Syracuse Orange

/thread

I've got to make the same decision. Here's what I've gathered:

Buffalo

Pros: More research, larger city, classes end at 1pm, close to Toronto, variety of clinical sites, better reputation???
Cons: Further from NYC, more dangerous city, 8 students/cadaver

Upstate

Pros: Faculty/Students seemed happier, university hospitals, closer to NYC
Cons: Classes from 8-4pm some days, small city,

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what feels right. Which school gave you the best vibes at the interview? I think what TheRach said is pretty spot on. Both schools are good, and have some minor pros/cons.

I've got to make the same decision. Here's what I've gathered:

Buffalo

Pros: More research, larger city, classes end at 1pm, close to Toronto, variety of clinical sites, better reputation???
Cons: Further from NYC, more dangerous city, 8 students/cadaver

Upstate

Pros: Faculty/Students seemed happier, university hospitals, closer to NYC
Cons: Classes from 8-4pm some days, small city,
Is that really such a pro? I was thinking the good thing about Upstate is that you can do all your rotations pretty much in one spot. To me, that sounds like a plus, but I wonder what current med students think about that.
Upstate did seem to have a more collegiate feel, but hard to judge from the interview day. Also, Upstate's class seems to be more diverse, at least geographically. And if you're from NYC, it probably has more NYC people than Buffalo.

Is that really such a pro? I was thinking the good thing about Upstate is that you can do all your rotations pretty much in one spot. To me, that sounds like a plus, but I wonder what current med students think about that.
Upstate did seem to have a more collegiate feel, but hard to judge from the interview day. Also, Upstate's class seems to be more diverse, at least geographically. And if you're from NYC, it probably has more NYC people than Buffalo.

One of the two Buffalo students who showed up for the interviews on the closed-campus day said it was a pro and con. The variety provides you with good training but the fact that the sites aren't linked to the school means that you'll be more responsible for managing your rotation experiences.

The two things that have me leaning towards Buffalo are the greater opportunities for research and the shorter class days.

Oh and I totally forgot that Buffalo lets you have an elective rotation in your third year to let you explore more any field you are really interested in.

Cadaver-student ratio is overrated. This should not be on your list when making decisions.

Cadaver-student ratio is overrated. This should not be on your list when making decisions.

During my interview day at UB, the students in the gross anatomy lab didn't seem unhappy at all (probably since the next exam was still a month away).:)

Basically, within the group of 8, there are smaller teams of 2 that share findings with the rest of the group. It works surprisingly well.

Of course, for anyone that chooses Upstate over UB, I appreciate it, since I'm hoping and praying to get accepted off of Buffalo's waitlist. I'm from Buffalo and UB med school is a dream for me.

Hey, some of us never learned to share in kindergarten. In reality it is a minor consideration.

Thanks for your advice everyone. :)

I was wondering what the curriculum was like at each school and what the early clinical exposure entailed for each.

If any current medical students have any thoughts that would also be greatly appreciated. :)

At Upstate, the basic science curriculum is vaguely systems based, though the courses are still the domains of their respective departments. We have been trying to get them to communicate more, and I think they may have, but there is probably still more work for them to do. If you want to look at the current MS1 schedule, go here, though they are on break this week so you may need to skip ahead to see anything.

Upstate also has a famous/infamous course known as MLC, short for Medical Literature Course, also known colloquially as "Shanley", after the pathology professor that runs it. It is something of a PBL course, where each class is based upon a NEJM case presentation. There is an open notes quiz on the article at the beginning of class, then a physician with expertise in that area discusses the case and the pathophysiology involved. First year there is class once a week, discussing one article for two weeks. Second year there is class three times per week, usually discussing two articles on the same theme Monday and Wednesday, wrapping up on Friday. The quizzes are notoriously difficult, mostly because you haven't been taught the material yet. Some people hate him for the stress it causes, others respect that the course teaches them how to think like a doctor. Honestly I could talk about the class all day (and have), so I won't bore you further; feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Regarding early clinical exposure, they are working on it, and I know they have increased it this year, but I can't tell you exactly how. I would try to contact a first year or the admissions office for help with that question. I will say that MLC exposes you to disease processes from the get go.

For any UB medical students,

What is it like not having a hospital right next to the school? Do you have to drive a lot? Is it harder to get early clinical experience? At Upstate there are three hospitals right next to the medical school, which I think is very convenient.

Also, where do most UB medical students live?

Thanks in advance for the input.

I have gotten into both (UB and Upstate) and I am having a hard time deciding between the two. I just want to hear people's thoughts on the two and hopefully this will help me make my decision.

Thanks!

It depends- are you hot?

I will say, MLC is a pretty unique course. I can't imagine not having it.

Status
Not open for further replies.