2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, most people get the bulk of their finaid from Federal loans, but they should appear on your school's financial aid package right? A $0 package also means $0 in federal loans, which is highly unusual.
Yes, I actually misread it cuz I didn’t open up pdf. I think they “awarded” $44k in fed loans and then the rest will have to be privately sourced I’m assuming. Was really hoping for any sort of scholarship from Upstate themselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I actually misread it cuz I didn’t open up pdf. I think they “awarded” $44k in fed loans and then the rest will have to be privately sourced I’m assuming. Was really hoping for any sort of scholarship from Upstate themselves.
Ah, that's more reasonable. Yeah it sucks graduating with l like 250k of loans :/ but at least you'll probably be able to pay it off within 10 years if you live frugally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all first years required to live in Geneva?
Current first year here- no!

I'm gunna take this opportunity to describe living in Geneva because this is information I did not have last year and really wish I did.

1. you do not have to live in Geneva. I'd say maybe half of the class lives in Geneva, another 25% lives in Madison/Jefferson towers, and the rest live in various houses or apartments around Syracuse.
2. This year has been completely whack for obvious reasons. No more than 10 people are allowed in the biggest rooms, masks always worn throughout the building, etc. So the biggest draw to living in Geneva (getting to know your classmates) has been super hard. Unless you're willing to risk breaking the school/apartment rules and get kicked out. Who knows what the rules will be like next year, or what COVID will be like, but remember if you're living in on-campus housing, that is one more set of rules to keep track of and follow.
3. For the apartments themselves, I can speak to the 4 person apartments, and have a little advice about the other types. For singles - I don't know how hard exactly, but I think it is a bit difficult to get a single as a first year. The doubles have very small kitchens, decent sized common areas, and small bedrooms. 4 person rooms have the biggest common areas, kitchens, and bedrooms. The stoves are electric, they work fine. It is VERY easy to set the fire alarm off while cooking. If you are someone who likes to sear a good steak on the regular, Geneva might not be for you. There is a ton of storage both in closets and cabinets for all the cooking gear and food you could desire. This is the best part of the room in my opinion (besides the views which are incredible if you get a higher apartment). However, if you are in a 4 person apartment and you all like to cook, definitely get a mini fridge/extra freezer because 4 people for 1 normal sized fridge is brutal. The couches are uncomfortable. The chair is uncomfortable. Bring something comfortable to sit in, I heard someone got a dog bed for their windowsill which actually seems really nice. There is also very little lighting in the common room - bring an extra lamp or 2. There are no printers in the building that work. I have not needed to print much thankfully, but this would have helped once or twice. The mattress are SUPER hard - get a mattress topper or other mattress. The beds are full beds. MOST IMPORTANTLY THE WALLS ARE PAPER THIN. They are better from one level of floor to above or below, but your direct roommates will be able to hear every conversation you have unless you are playing music/running a fan. Seriously, I have normal voice conversations with the one roommate who lives right next to me. If you wind up with a roommate who likes to listen to TV late at night? Better hope they have headphones... Keep this in mind for living with randos - you need to have an agreement on noise levels at certain times if anyone is sensitive to noise. ALSO heating and cooling can be a huge issue. Some rooms have control over their heat it seems, and some don't. Sometimes it is really hot, sometimes it is really cold. The windows do not open so there is sometimes no way to remedy this. At least the air is not extremely dry or stuffy feeling. For those who do have temperature control, you definitely don't have it on an individual level so you will also have to coordinate this with your roommates - better hope they have the same taste as you or are willing to compromise. Finally, one good thing, if you have a southern facing room it is excellent to grow plants!!
4. There are scholarships to live in Geneva that get sent out sometime in May I think. I don't know how many are available (I know of at least 4 people who have one, and possibly more as this isn't something that gets talked about a lot), but they are for $6000 to live in a 2 or 4 bedroom apartment. These make living in Geneva worth it. Without this scholarship, in my opinion, Geneva is absolutely not worth it to live in. Without the scholarship, it would come in as one of the most expensive places to live in Syracuse, without providing a lot of the things you would expect from a high-priced apartment. You can find equally as nice places to live for $200-300 less per month, and if you all band together to live in another complex, you will get the same "Geneva" experience....
5. The gym (a few treadmills, elipticals, and a bike) has not been opened at all this year despite NYS rules saying it is fine to do so. This is clearly not a priority. I have heard it is often closed in normal years as well.
6. There are study rooms on the second floor that are nice.
7. One of the second floor study rooms (thank goodness while under renovation) was shot with a stray bullet. There is a neighborhood adjacent to Geneva that experiences an extremely high level of crime (Several shootings and stabbings this year). This is the first time the building has been shot in recent years that I know of, so it is unlikely that it will happen again, but obviously is possible. One does not have to walk through this neighborhood to get to class, but you are walking next to it often. Unfortunately, Syracuse is not a very safe place to live. There are a ton of shootings, stabbings, and car break-ins are rampant. Living at Geneva might actually be one of the safer places you can be, besides Madison or Jefferson. If you choose to live off campus, your best bet is in a suburb or in the Syracuse University housing area. There are some seriously cheap houses elsewhere in the city, but there is so much crime it is almost definitely not worth it.
8. There have been a lot of year-specific complaints. The Wifi has stopped working intermittently, sometimes for days, once right before an exam. This is hopefully fixed, as it has not happened in 2 months, but has been a difficult addition to a zoom and home learning year. There has been construction going on all year. Everyone has to move once, at a time they do not get to choose. This was really annoying, but hopefully it will be done in time for next year. There were no significant improvements to the rooms after construction. In case it is not finished, the construction is LOUD. It reverberates throughout the building, happened once during an exam.

If I think of more I will add it, that should be enough though. LMK if you have questions.

Reactions: 9 users
Current first year here- no!

I'm gunna take this opportunity to describe living in Geneva because this is information I did not have last year and really wish I did.

1. you do not have to live in Geneva. I'd say maybe half of the class lives in Geneva, another 25% lives in Madison/Jefferson towers, and the rest live in various houses or apartments around Syracuse.
2. This year has been completely whack for obvious reasons. No more than 10 people are allowed in the biggest rooms, masks always worn throughout the building, etc. So the biggest draw to living in Geneva (getting to know your classmates) has been super hard. Unless you're willing to risk breaking the school/apartment rules and get kicked out. Who knows what the rules will be like next year, or what COVID will be like, but remember if you're living in on-campus housing, that is one more set of rules to keep track of and follow.
3. For the apartments themselves, I can speak to the 4 person apartments, and have a little advice about the other types. For singles - I don't know how hard exactly, but I think it is a bit difficult to get a single as a first year. The doubles have very small kitchens, decent sized common areas, and small bedrooms. 4 person rooms have the biggest common areas, kitchens, and bedrooms. The stoves are electric, they work fine. It is VERY easy to set the fire alarm off while cooking. If you are someone who likes to sear a good steak on the regular, Geneva might not be for you. There is a ton of storage both in closets and cabinets for all the cooking gear and food you could desire. This is the best part of the room in my opinion (besides the views which are incredible if you get a higher apartment). However, if you are in a 4 person apartment and you all like to cook, definitely get a mini fridge/extra freezer because 4 people for 1 normal sized fridge is brutal. The couches are uncomfortable. The chair is uncomfortable. Bring something comfortable to sit in, I heard someone got a dog bed for their windowsill which actually seems really nice. There is also very little lighting in the common room - bring an extra lamp or 2. There are no printers in the building that work. I have not needed to print much thankfully, but this would have helped once or twice. The mattress are SUPER hard - get a mattress topper or other mattress. The beds are full beds. MOST IMPORTANTLY THE WALLS ARE PAPER THIN. They are better from one level of floor to above or below, but your direct roommates will be able to hear every conversation you have unless you are playing music/running a fan. Seriously, I have normal voice conversations with the one roommate who lives right next to me. If you wind up with a roommate who likes to listen to TV late at night? Better hope they have headphones... Keep this in mind for living with randos - you need to have an agreement on noise levels at certain times if anyone is sensitive to noise. ALSO heating and cooling can be a huge issue. Some rooms have control over their heat it seems, and some don't. Sometimes it is really hot, sometimes it is really cold. The windows do not open so there is sometimes no way to remedy this. At least the air is not extremely dry or stuffy feeling. For those who do have temperature control, you definitely don't have it on an individual level so you will also have to coordinate this with your roommates - better hope they have the same taste as you or are willing to compromise. Finally, one good thing, if you have a southern facing room it is excellent to grow plants!!
4. There are scholarships to live in Geneva that get sent out sometime in May I think. I don't know how many are available (I know of at least 4 people who have one, and possibly more as this isn't something that gets talked about a lot), but they are for $6000 to live in a 2 or 4 bedroom apartment. These make living in Geneva worth it. Without this scholarship, in my opinion, Geneva is absolutely not worth it to live in. Without the scholarship, it would come in as one of the most expensive places to live in Syracuse, without providing a lot of the things you would expect from a high-priced apartment. You can find equally as nice places to live for $200-300 less per month, and if you all band together to live in another complex, you will get the same "Geneva" experience....
5. The gym (a few treadmills, elipticals, and a bike) has not been opened at all this year despite NYS rules saying it is fine to do so. This is clearly not a priority. I have heard it is often closed in normal years as well.
6. There are study rooms on the second floor that are nice.
7. One of the second floor study rooms (thank goodness while under renovation) was shot with a stray bullet. There is a neighborhood adjacent to Geneva that experiences an extremely high level of crime (Several shootings and stabbings this year). This is the first time the building has been shot in recent years that I know of, so it is unlikely that it will happen again, but obviously is possible. One does not have to walk through this neighborhood to get to class, but you are walking next to it often. Unfortunately, Syracuse is not a very safe place to live. There are a ton of shootings, stabbings, and car break-ins are rampant. Living at Geneva might actually be one of the safer places you can be, besides Madison or Jefferson. If you choose to live off campus, your best bet is in a suburb or in the Syracuse University housing area. There are some seriously cheap houses elsewhere in the city, but there is so much crime it is almost definitely not worth it.
8. There have been a lot of year-specific complaints. The Wifi has stopped working intermittently, sometimes for days, once right before an exam. This is hopefully fixed, as it has not happened in 2 months, but has been a difficult addition to a zoom and home learning year. There has been construction going on all year. Everyone has to move once, at a time they do not get to choose. This was really annoying, but hopefully it will be done in time for next year. There were no significant improvements to the rooms after construction. In case it is not finished, the construction is LOUD. It reverberates throughout the building, happened once during an exam.

If I think of more I will add it, that should be enough though. LMK if you have questions.
This is super helpful thank you! Do you happen to know of any furnished apartments nearby? Jefferson/Madison does not come furnished correct?

Has anyone with a January interview date heard anything or even had an updated portal status? Just trying to figure out if they've even started with anyone after the 12/16 group

Has anyone with a January interview date heard anything or even had an updated portal status? Just trying to figure out if they've even started with anyone after the 12/16 group
Looking over responses from like last week and the week before, folks from January were put on high priority at least once.

There were two January interviewees who posted earlier in the thread, but one was a bs/md. The other interviewee, @Persaudirabia, may have been regular? Either way, I believe the next time the committee is meeting is either Wednesday or March 4th.
Correct, I interviewed on 1/13, applied for regular MD, and was put on the High Priority Alternate list on 2/10.

This is super helpful thank you! Do you happen to know of any furnished apartments nearby? Jefferson/Madison does not come furnished correct?
That is correct about Jefferson/Madison. Theory, 505 on Walnut, Copper Beech Commons are all furnished.

Reactions: 1 users
Got $0 in financial aid. Have no idea how I am supposed to pay $70k a year on my own. My parents are trying to retire and won’t be able to help me pay. What should I do?
did you include your parents info when you filled out FAFSA?

I was accepted to the MD/MPH program last month and was wondering if there are any current MD/MPH students that would be down to answer some questions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
any estimation on decision turn around time? interviewed in mid jan...

any estimation on decision turn around time? interviewed in mid jan...
I interviewed during the spring semester and it ended up taking about 8 weeks turnaround...I would expect you should be hearing something in the next two weeks, but I'm not super sure.

current students - for the Geneva scholarship, is there any way to apply? or are all incoming students automatically considered?

To those who have been accepted, have you received your financial aid info yet? I was accepted 10/15 and still haven't heard anything from financial aid.

To those who have been accepted, have you received your financial aid info yet? I was accepted 10/15 and still haven't heard anything from financial aid.
I reached out to them for aid info directly and a few days later they sent me my award. I was also accepted within the last few weeks

Received an II on 2/26 to interview tomorrow 3/4, seems like it'll be to interview for the waitlist based off what I'm reading in this thread and the website. OOS LM 74, complete 9/8
Did you post on the wrong school thread? Earlier you said you were HPL'd at Upstate

Reactions: 2 users
Any 1/11 or 1/13 interviewees hear back yet? I was 1/20 and am curious if we're next or not.

Interviewed 1/13 and was just accepted! Notified via the portal, but no email yet!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
where in the portal does it say the decision?
On the main page where it says "Fall 2021." The decision was right under there after replacing the "your application is under review and you will be notified once a decision has been made" blurb.

Interviewed 01/06. Accepted yesterday, email today.

Reactions: 5 users
current students - for the Geneva scholarship, is there any way to apply? or are all incoming students automatically considered?
The application came out sometime late May for us last year. You write a few paragraphs on why the scholarship would benefit you, and they give it to people who seem to need it the most I think.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who interviewed in Feb hear anything yet?

Withdrawing my acceptance here, good luck everyone on the waitlist! I am incredibly grateful to have had an acceptance from Upstate since October, but now that I've heard back from more schools, I've decided I won't be in Syracuse this fall.

Interviewed 1/11, HPA on 3/5. Hoping for some good news in the next few months!

• Care
Early Feb interview, nope. The admissions director told us 5-6 weeks so hopefully we'll hear something by the end of next week.
Just a heads up, I haven't seen any of my fellow 1/20'ers get decisions yet

• Sad
Does anyone know about the MedSET program/if it would be a good option?

hey, just a quick question to current students at Upstate. Does upstate drug screen incoming medical students? I know this might be unprofessional, but this is the last summer of freedom so I gotta ask...
Even if they don't historically, do you want to risk this year being the first time they do?

Now I know why people tell others not to use SDN...but I understand your point, it’s the correct thing to look out for. Thanks for sharing.
I have nothing against drugs and I certainly can't judge, but it's not worth the risk for a few weeks' worths of highs. At the very least, save it until you're in preclinical, most schools won't randomly spot drug test you after matriculation & before rotations.