2020-2021 SUNY - Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: SUNY Upstate Medical University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS, secondary just received!

For others who also received a secondary, are you having a problem starting a new application? The dropdown menu is only giving me 3 options and they're research/master's programs.

Reactions: 1 user

For others who also received a secondary, are you having a problem starting a new application? The dropdown menu is only giving me 3 options and they're research/master's programs.
+1

Yes, having the same issue. I wonder when they will resolve it.

Same here. I emailed them as well and sent them a screenshot.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the prompts? And do they have a character/word limit?
Thanks in advance.

I spoke with the admissions office this morning. They said that this is an error on their end, and they are working to fix it. They took down my name and contact information, and they are going to contact me when the issue is resolved. I will post on here when I hear back, but I imagine they will be emailing all of us :)

Reactions: 4 users
any in state peeps not hear from them or Albany yet :( Submitted amcas 6/1

Reactions: 1 users
The secondary portal works for me now. Here are the prompts:

We understand that the COVID-19 crisis in Spring 2020 disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19. (No character limit)

Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee? If yes, please describe (no character limit)

If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year (1800 character limit)

Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point? (1800 character limit.)

@TheDataKing

Last edited:
The secondary portal works for me now. Here are the prompts:

We understand that the COVID-19 crisis in Spring 2020 disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19. (No character limit)

Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee? If yes, please describe (no character limit)

If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year (1800 character limit)

Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point? (1800 character limit.)

@TheDataKing
where did you get that character limit information? it does not show on my app

@kbsingh2499 I am in state and got SUNY Upstate last night but not Albany yet. I'm sure SUNY Upstate is just sending in waves so their servers don't get overloaded :)

where did you get that character limit information? it does not show on my app
That's strange, they show up on mine next to the prompts. For the two 1800 character-limit prompts, they show that their max is 1800 characters.
But for the other two no character limit prompts, it doesn't actually say 'no character limit' for them. But I was able to write as much as I wanted for them.

I clicked on the 'Medicine Secondary' option at the beginning for the Regular MD program.

Does SUNY Upstate have any preference for students that want to go into primary care? I have two specialties in mind that I can talk about in the secondary question but I wanted to know if the school was known to prefer primary care or would a different speciality work as well/possibly better

Can't log into the portal. Maybe this is their passive aggressive way of rejecting lmfaooooo

I can't log in with the pin and ID either...I just sent an email to [email protected], will let you know when I hear back!
I am really confused..this is the email that I received but the links are exactly the same and my pin and ID are still invalid:

Thank you for your interest in the College of Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University. Our records indicate that we are still missing some important information in order to complete your application.
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED OUR SECONDARY APPLICATION: Please go to Admissions Login and follow the directions below to confirm which items are missing.

Log-in using your AMCAS ID prefixed by an A as your Login ID (example: A01234567) and your birth date as your pin (example: if your birth date is September 26, 1970, your pin is 092670).

Under Admission Term click on the highlighted application and scroll down to the Requirements section. Items that have been received will be listed along with a received date. Outstanding items will have a blank received date.

IF YOU HAVE NOT YET SUBMITTED A SECONDARY APPLICATION PLEASE DO SO: Go to Admissions Login and complete one following the directions below.

Once you are at the Application Menu screen, select NEW under the application in progress section and select the appropriate program. All sections of the application must be completed but do not need to be done all at once. You can return to complete the application at any time. However, your application will not be considered until you have all sections marked as complete and have submitted the application fee.

Once all required application materials have been received, you will be notified that your application is complete and your application will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for screening.

I am really confused..this is the email that I received but the links are exactly the same and my pin and ID are still invalid:

Thank you for your interest in the College of Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University. Our records indicate that we are still missing some important information in order to complete your application.
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED OUR SECONDARY APPLICATION: Please go to Admissions Login and follow the directions below to confirm which items are missing.

Log-in using your AMCAS ID prefixed by an A as your Login ID (example: A01234567) and your birth date as your pin (example: if your birth date is September 26, 1970, your pin is 092670).

Under Admission Term click on the highlighted application and scroll down to the Requirements section. Items that have been received will be listed along with a received date. Outstanding items will have a blank received date.

IF YOU HAVE NOT YET SUBMITTED A SECONDARY APPLICATION PLEASE DO SO: Go to Admissions Login and complete one following the directions below.

Once you are at the Application Menu screen, select NEW under the application in progress section and select the appropriate program. All sections of the application must be completed but do not need to be done all at once. You can return to complete the application at any time. However, your application will not be considered until you have all sections marked as complete and have submitted the application fee.

Once all required application materials have been received, you will be notified that your application is complete and your application will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for screening.
I just logged in- not sure what I did differently, maybe they did something on their end, but hopefully it should work for everyone that couldn't log in now :) !

Not sure if this will help you, but initially when I input my information I was used to MMDDYYYY for birthdate, but the password is MMDDYY. I was able to login once fixed this, maybe it will help others.

They just e-mailed me about unfilled required documents, but I'm assuming that's automated and the stuff hasn't had time to populate...for those that have submitted, do you also have a high school transcript requirement? I find it strange, I graduated quite a while ago and perhaps checked off something incorrectly re: hs.

So I was finally able to log in.... but can't find where to access the secondary? Like when I click "New" under application in progress there's no option for Medicine Secondary. Anyone know what we're supposed to do? Or are they still fixing it?

So I was finally able to log in.... but can't find where to access the secondary? Like when I click "New" under application in progress there's no option for Medicine Secondary. Anyone know what we're supposed to do? Or are they still fixing it?

This is the same for me too, I have like a drop down for 3 masters programs lol

same

This is the same for me too, I have like a drop down for 3 masters programs lol

I just called them. They said that it's a technical problem and they're fixing it now. Didn't say when it'll be fixed, but I think soon.

Anybody having trouble adding in their high school into the application? They can't seem to find my highschool in the system

secondary received & submitted 7/23, OOS, verified 6/4

received a confirmation email, but no payment confirmation. good luck everyone!

secondary received & submitted 7/23, OOS, verified 6/4

received a confirmation email, but no payment confirmation. good luck everyone!

Hey can I ask when you got the confirmation email? I haven't gotten anything and I'm kinda worried if I submitted correctly. Funny though because I got a payment confirmation lol but no secondary confirmation.

Update: got the confirmation email now! Like a few hours later!

Last edited:
Hey can I ask when you got the confirmation email? I haven't gotten anything and I'm kinda worried if I submitted correctly. Funny though because I got a payment confirmation lol but no secondary confirmation.
I just submitted too. I received a confirmation email that says "XXX has submitted an on-line Medicine Supplemental application." I actually got it right after I clicked on "application is complete," before I even paid the fee.

However, when I logged back in to check the status of my application. It seems as if nothing was received by upstate, nor can I check my submitted secondary. I think it's just really old system (lmk if someone else is experiencing this too). It's funny how the last email stressed that if you have already submitted a secondary, do not submit another one. I think you can just call them to check, but don't submit another one.

I just submitted too. I received a confirmation email that says "XXX has submitted an on-line Medicine Supplemental application." I actually got it right after I clicked on "application is complete," before I even paid the fee.

However, when I logged back in to check the status of my application. It seems as if nothing was received by upstate, nor can I check my submitted secondary. I think it's just really old system (lmk if someone else is experiencing this too). It's funny how the last email stressed that if you have already submitted a secondary, do not submit another one. I think you can just call them to check, but don't submit another one.
Submitted both payment and secondary app, but when I log back in to check, nothing is marked as received either

Update: Just received email confirmation for payment! As for the app itself, I tried going back in to fill out a new app (just to see what will happen) and an error message popped up saying that I have already submitted an application, so even if it doesn't say received, chances are it went through! Will prob just take some time for the website to reflect that

Last edited:

Something similar happened to me. Email them, they got back to me quick.

Is anyone still unable to access the secondary? I got an email saying it was fixed earlier today but it still won’t work for me

@Bada Bing how did you get around the ID and pin not working?
I'm not sure, honestly! I just followed the instructions they gave in the email and it worked for me. Maybe I got lucky. If you're having trouble definitely email them. They were very responsive to a question of mine. I think also it's kind of an old system so maybe it's prone to technical issues.

Anybody having trouble adding in their high school into the application? They can't seem to find my highschool in the system

Mine wasn't in the system either (nor was it listed in AMCAS). That page has very minimal requirements anyway - I think the only starred answer is the high school name. My assumption is that they really only want to know if you went to HS in NY state.

FINALLY got into the portal, submitted and paid with no issues.

For anyone applying to RMSP -- the prompt limit for each section is 1800 characters. I didn't see that anywhere but when I submitted my essays it gives an error and says its above the 1800 character limit.

For anyone who has already submitted, is the character count INCLUDING spaces or not including spaces?

What do they mean by "MUST be recorded in detail on your college transcript" for AP credits when entering course requirements? My school does not state the name of AP Exam or the classes it gave credit for on the transcript, but states the number of credits from APs. Is that bad if I am trying to use AP credits for a requirement and the name of exam is not on the transcript?