***The Official Midwestern-Illinois Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I think I got accepted lol I didnt get an email or a letter in the mail yet but on the midwestern portal it says I have to pay a deposit by 2/14 lol (I interviewed on the 11th)
congrats, that's an acceptance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I think I got accepted lol I didnt get an email or a letter in the mail yet but on the midwestern portal it says I have to pay a deposit by 2/14 lol (I interviewed on the 11th)

Wow amazing I knew you could do it

Interviewed on 1/23 and received the acceptance email today

Hey guys, so I was accepted but on my checklist it says i still have to take a physiology class for 3 credits. I took an anatomy and physiology class, but that only took care of the anatomy prereq. do you guys think they will forgive the physiology class if i ask them or would i have to take Human physiology in the summer? I ask this because i was planning a 2 month trip in the summer and this would change everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, so I was accepted but on my checklist it says i still have to take a physiology class for 3 credits. I took an anatomy and physiology class, but that only took care of the anatomy prereq. do you guys think they will forgive the physiology class if i ask them or would i have to take Human physiology in the summer? I ask this because i was planning a 2 month trip in the summer and this would change everything.
Maybe it's an error on their part. I would contact them to double check if A&P satisfies both requirements. Did you take A&P 1 and 2? Otherwise, you would definitely have to take it in the summer. I don't think they would just forgive it.

I'm pretty sure they require a separate 3 credit physiology course. I'm taking my anatomy course online cause I already took physiology at my university and am graduating so I won't be able to take it, and they are totally okay with online courses to fulfill prereqs-- maybe you could look into that option too? Email them at [email protected] to ask about your specific situation!

Wait they offer online classes for anatomy, where?? lol I need to take.

Yes it says i can take both anatomy 1 and 2 to fulfill both the physiology and anatomy requirements. In my school, my anatomy and phys course counts as anatomy 1 and 2 in other schools.thays my situation. thats why im asking if you guys think they would forgive it. i emailed them yesterday, still waiting on a response.

Yes it says i can take both anatomy 1 and 2 to fulfill both the physiology and anatomy requirements. In my school, my anatomy and phys course counts as anatomy 1 and 2 in other schools.thays my situation. thats why im asking if you guys think they would forgive it. i emailed them yesterday, still waiting on a response.
Yes, they can take it as a substitute if it fits for them. Email their admissions with the class info from the university you are taking it at and they will tell you if they accept or decline the credit.

Has a facebook for this class been created already?

Does anyone know when orientation and school start?

Can anyone comment on the clinical experience from MWU il? I've heard it would be rather difficult to immediately practice wo a residency. Any input on this subject?

Can anyone comment on the clinical experience from MWU il? I've heard it would be rather difficult to immediately practice wo a residency. Any input on this subject?
According to their most recent class profile 73 graduates went on to private practice while 32 did an AEGD/GPR. I'm not sure what the numbers are like at other schools but it seems like the students are graduating pretty comfortable with their skills

Hi guys! Is anyone interviewing on Feb 20th??? Am I the only one??? Lol it seems like everyone got accepted already.

Hello everyone, I am currently a D2 at MWU IL. Shoot me any questions you may have.

to all the students who currently attend here, why did you choose this school? Was it your only acceptance or did you have to choose between this school and others and if so, what caused you to choose it?

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for MMI style interviews?

Could use this too, interview coming up!
Usually MMI interviews ask ethically related questions. For example, "If a patient is HIV positive and somehow you find out that they are engaging in unprotected sex, what do you do?" You should do a bit of research into the ethical obligations of medical professionals, more specifically dentists. There are usually no 100% correct answers but you should choose a point of view and stick to it, but also address other perspectives. Practice formulating arguments in 5 mins or less. On interview day, be true to yourself and what you believe and it will come across in your answers. Good luck to us! :)

DIRECTLY FROM American Dental Association website:

"Midwestern University dental school in Illinois names new dean

February 02, 2018
20180202_Dr_Haering.jpg

Dr. Haering
Downers Grove, Ill. — Midwestern University announced Feb. 2 it named Dr. Harold J. Haering as dean of its College of Dental Medicine-Illinois.

Dr. Harold most recently served as associate dean for clinical education at the Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine in Arizona.

"Dr. Haering has outstanding experience in both preclinical and clinical dental education and has brought energy and insight to the College of Dental Medicine-Arizona since he joined Midwestern University in 2011," said Kathleen H. Goeppinger, Ph.D., president and CEO of Midwestern University, in a news release.

Dr. Haering earned his dental degree from the University of Kentucky College of Dentistry. After serving as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Public Health Service, he opened a family dentistry practice in LaBelle, Florida, and served his community for 27 years.

In addition, Dr. Haering formerly served in two ADA councils — the Council on Access, Prevention and Professional Relations and the Council on Education and Licensure. He also served as trustee of the Florida Dental Association, as a delegate to the ADA, and as a consultant to the ADA Council on Dental Benefits."

Copyright © 2018 American Dental Association. Reproduction or republication strictly prohibited without prior written permission.

DIRECTLY FROM American Dental Association website:

"Midwestern University dental school in Illinois names new dean

February 02, 2018
20180202_Dr_Haering.jpg

Dr. Haering
Downers Grove, Ill. — Midwestern University announced Feb. 2 it named Dr. Harold J. Haering as dean of its College of Dental Medicine-Illinois.

Dr. Harold most recently served as associate dean for clinical education at the Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine in Arizona.

"Dr. Haering has outstanding experience in both preclinical and clinical dental education and has brought energy and insight to the College of Dental Medicine-Arizona since he joined Midwestern University in 2011," said Kathleen H. Goeppinger, Ph.D., president and CEO of Midwestern University, in a news release.

Dr. Haering earned his dental degree from the University of Kentucky College of Dentistry. After serving as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Public Health Service, he opened a family dentistry practice in LaBelle, Florida, and served his community for 27 years.

In addition, Dr. Haering formerly served in two ADA councils — the Council on Access, Prevention and Professional Relations and the Council on Education and Licensure. He also served as trustee of the Florida Dental Association, as a delegate to the ADA, and as a consultant to the ADA Council on Dental Benefits."

Copyright © 2018 American Dental Association. Reproduction or republication strictly prohibited without prior written permission.

This dude is great. Very down to earth. First time I met him, he introduced himself as Hal. I was like "Who is this guy?!" It only took me a few days before I realized he's the new dean. He's been seen multiple times at the clinic, having conversations with students.

I think Dr. McNeil (the previous dean) did a wonderful job, but I believe Dr. Haering will make it even better!! I already heard some good changes that he will implement to the program, one of them being implant placement on the clinic floor (as opposed to in the OS department). Nothing is finalized, but man! I'm excited for you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody interviewed mid January and still havent heard anything back?! I have not received an acceptance or denial yet

This dude is great. Very down to earth. First time I met him, he introduced himself as Hal. I was like "Who is this guy?!" It only took me a few days before I realized he's the new dean. He's been seen multiple times at the clinic, having conversations with students.

I think Dr. McNeil (the previous dean) did a wonderful job, but I believe Dr. Haering will make it even better!! I already heard some good changes that he will implement to the program, one of them being implant placement on the clinic floor (as opposed to in the OS department). Nothing is finalized, but man! I'm excited for you all!

The new dean is great, hoping he makes IL like AZ.

Anyone willing to share specific examples of questions asked at their interview?

Anyone willing to share specific examples of questions asked at their interview?
It is completely useless to ask for specific examples because they change the questions every week for one. For two you should not prepare for ethical questions or else you will stutter and it won't work out so well. These questions can get weird and ridiculous but you have to prepare in different ways. For example, if you get nervous in interviews do a mock interview at your school. I'd say relaxing is the best preparation, I didn't prepare and I did just fine. My biggest advice is to practice for "Why do you want to be a dentist?" "Tell me about yourself". Those came up multiple times after some of my ethical discussions ended. Also when answering questions make sure to tie them to examples of things you have encountered in real life, of course when applicable and appropriate. This will make you stand out more and also if it fits the scenario throw in dentistry but DO NOT make that a main point of discussion. Also keep a strong posture and make eye contact because it shows confidence in yourself, which is important. Make sure to know this school really well before going, so you can compliment it and highlight why you want to go there when you can. This may sound like a lot in text but it isn't. It is just extra small stuff to do which will help you stand out. Anyone interviewing here just relax and be yourself. Don't over prepare or you will create an awkward rehearsed look and it does not look good.

Reactions: 1 users
you should not prepare for ethical questions
I agree with practicing positive body language and interview etiquette but I strongly and respectfully disagree with your statement regarding not preparing for ethical questions. @FlossyLady1 should DEFINITELY read up on the core ethical principals (autonomy, do no harm, patient beneficence, justice/equal access to healthcare) and have a solid understanding of them. Furthermore, doing practice cases that are random will help build up your thought pattern and judgment when encountering sticky situations. You have to learn how to shine your light on a case from different angles and how to consider alternative (compromising) outcomes, because you best believe that they will ask you a follow up question to steer you away from your original answer. Unless you are inherently good at interviewing, you should always prepare extensively until you feel confident that you can answer any sort of ethical dilemma and any other questions pertaining your application/why dent/why MWU etc etc...

Look up MMI practice questions/ethical cases and PM me if you want, i have a pdf with cases you can practice with.

Cheers.

Edit: there is no one size fits all when it comes to preparation, everyone have their own strengths and weaknesses. correlation between doing (or not doing) a thing and success does not imply causation.

I was emailed this morning about my interview next week, told to reply if still attending. Definitely am, getting very excited!

I was emailed this morning about my interview next week, told to reply if still attending. Definitely am, getting very excited!

Congrats on the interview! It was the best experience I had so far personally at an interview for dental school. Does anybody have any advice on what I can do to reassure them this is the school I want to go to, and that I will work tirelessly on making sure they picked the best candidate to represent the school?

I agree with practicing positive body language and interview etiquette but I strongly and respectfully disagree with your statement regarding not preparing for ethical questions. @FlossyLady1 should DEFINITELY read up on the core ethical principals (autonomy, do no harm, patient beneficence, justice/equal access to healthcare) and have a solid understanding of them. Furthermore, doing practice cases that are random will help build up your thought pattern and judgment when encountering sticky situations. You have to learn how to shine your light on a case from different angles and how to consider alternative (compromising) outcomes, because you best believe that they will ask you a follow up question to steer you away from your original answer. Unless you are inherently good at interviewing, you should always prepare extensively until you feel confident that you can answer any sort of ethical dilemma and any other questions pertaining your application/why dent/why MWU etc etc...

Look up MMI practice questions/ethical cases and PM me if you want, i have a pdf with cases you can practice with.

Cheers.

Edit: there is no one size fits all when it comes to preparation, everyone have their own strengths and weaknesses. correlation between doing (or not doing) a thing and success does not imply causation.
You have a point, interviews and talking are my strong point because I'm a debater and a writer (I implement a lot of philosophical things in my short stories). I did want to reiterate though, she should make sure to be herself because preparation for some can choke them up on these types of questions, but it wouldn't hurt to be flexible by practicing a multitude of scenarios.

Still no reply-no email or rejection. Keep checking the MWU net portal. I interviewed on the Jan 16th-its been 4 weeks exactly today. does that mean a rejection? :/

Still no reply-no email or rejection. Keep checking the MWU net portal. I interviewed on the Jan 16th-its been 4 weeks exactly today. does that mean a rejection? :/
Nope, you are still under review in consideration with other applicants. Hang in there, no rejection until rejection email!

Nope, you are still under review in consideration with other applicants. Hang in there, no rejection until rejection email!

Trying to be hopeful thank you! In the interview they told us you don’t get a rejection email but a letter. Did anyone get a rejection email? They said you only get accepted email.

Status
Not open for further replies.