RVU-COM (Rocky Vista - Colorado) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aside from that, thanks GG and Gas, I kinda...oops, I mean, kind of figured that would be the case. Well, with that said and done, here's to rockin' the boards and showing everyone that the only thing RVU is gonna...oops, I mean, going to be churning out is great physicians!:cool:

For reel! Your definately the one with the right lookout. I've got my site on utilizing avery peace of my know-how on the boreds. I don't wanna arguement in any way so let's be buds amd land a gr8t residence after we pass the COMPLEX test. :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

You better realize I'm razzing you SoCAl.

Hey all fellow RVU-ers! I went and visited with some faculty down at RVU today and found out a few updates. The financial aid information should be up on the website on Wednesday AT THE LATEST! The person who updates our website was away at a conference all last week, or else it would already be up. It will have all of our scholarships, loans, grants, etc. information and links.

I talked with Kerri and it is rumored that My Vista should be up and running this week (but cross your fingers because they've been saying that for 2 weeks now). There have basically been too many cooks in the kitchen, and that's what has been holding it up. But it's close for sure!
Other than that, everything is coming along swimmingly. Much of the class has been filled it looks like!

Anyways, thought you would like to know! Also, can we schedule another get together at some point? I didn't get to make it to the last one, and I can't wait to meet some people! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
another quick question...how do we log into my vista when it finally does get up and running? i've never received an ID# or password or anything like that....have any of you?

another quick question...how do we log into my vista when it finally does get up and running? i've never received an ID# or password or anything like that....have any of you?

I haven't either - I'm assuming that we will get an e-mail with all that info when its functional.

I haven't either - I'm assuming that we will get an e-mail with all that info when its functional.

What Kerri told me was that once My Vista is up and running we will all be receiving emails telling us our username and password.

Hey all fellow RVU-ers! I went and visited with some faculty down at RVU today and found out a few updates. The financial aid information should be up on the website on Wednesday AT THE LATEST! The person who updates our website was away at a conference all last week, or else it would already be up. It will have all of our scholarships, loans, grants, etc. information and links.

I talked with Kerri and it is rumored that My Vista should be up and running this week (but cross your fingers because they've been saying that for 2 weeks now). There have basically been too many cooks in the kitchen, and that's what has been holding it up. But it's close for sure!
Other than that, everything is coming along swimmingly. Much of the class has been filled it looks like!

Anyways, thought you would like to know! Also, can we schedule another get together at some point? I didn't get to make it to the last one, and I can't wait to meet some people! :)

Thanks for the info!!! As for another meet and greet, count me in! I got called into work on the last one.

Also, I was wondering where everyone was in the financial aid application process. Besides some research, I feel like I am really far behind.

Hello All! I was just wondering if anyone had an updated list of the clinical rotations. I remember at the interview they said that the list in the course catalog was not updated, so I was curious to find out the others. I e-mailed Kerri who directed me to Dr. Smith who told me that he's been working on it and will have the complete list at orientation, so....I was wondering if anyone else knew.

Does anyone know when myvista is supposed to be up and running and when the financial info will be available? Has anyone applied for private loans yet and who did you go through/was it easy?

Also, has anyone started looking for insurance yet - maybe a student plan? Hopefully, my wife will be able to get a job and get insurance for us but just in case... private healthcare insurance seems to cost a pretty penny!

Thanks a bunch!
AA

I have one young'un and another bouts to pop. What does your wife do? Maybe we know of places that we can recommend for jobs and or daycare. My daughter goes to the Fisher Early Learning center takes 6 mos to 5 years though it's tuition is through the roof 1200 a month for infants and less the older they are. If you work there you get about fifty percent off of that. So you could take two in one shot if your wife likes that sort of thing. I could recommend some more places if you want but a good place to start is by googling qualistar for daycares. Any way let us know what kind of work your wife is interested in and maybe we can help that too!

Thanks Libo and congrats on the new one! Sorry for getting back with you so late, its been a busy week. My wife worked at a boys home here in Kansas City and has experience working with youth at an outreach and at a church. She is interested in getting a job at a daycare just to help alleviate the cost of childcare - are there any other daycares in the area that are a little cheaper but still of good quality? We're going to visit the area the last weekend in March to look at some apartments and potential job places.
Thanks, AA

Send me a PM when you know exactly when you are coming into town me and my wife would be more than happy to show you around and help anyway we can. If your wife has done some outreach work with boys she might like working at a place called Ridgeview academy. It is a juvenile detention center but much nicer than you would expect. They have some great opportunities though I would tell her to see if there any admin jobs. They have a preschool/daycare there that is really inexpensive but it is co op so she would have to put in a couple hours a month up there. Check it out at riteofpassage.com or ridgeviewacademy.com There are alot of places to work in her field in and around denver I was a foster child growing up and my main place that I could have referred her to closed down a couple of years ago. As far as preschools there are not many that will be cheaper than the 600 a month but I will see what I can dig up! Hopefully see you soon!

Oh and I did forget to mention that there are alot of daycares that if you work there you can get your full tuition waived. I will try to find some for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All!
Just wanted to let you all know (in case you didn't get the email) that all the financial aid information/applications are up online!! YAY!!

Hi All!
Just wanted to let you all know (in case you didn't get the email) that all the financial aid information/applications are up online!! YAY!!

Hey, way to exhibit some rational logic and at the same time squelch the insecure SDN crybabies by dropping those other ****ty acceptances. As you are aware, you'll be attending a med school in a prime locale with a great educational model, awesome clinical sites, and a top-notch, experienced faculty - all ingredients that will make it a significant measure better than those "other" schools down the road. We'll leave out the state-of-the-art technology because that would be overly cruel - restraint and mercy I say. If my decision was based solely on the education and rotations, I'd be at RVU this very second! :thumbup:

Oh - and thanks for providing everyone with updates regarding the school. :D:thumbup:

If my decision was based solely on the education and rotations, I'd be at RVU this very second! :thumbup:

Don't tell me this means that you're not going to be our classmate?!?!?!?!?!

Tell me there is still hope....

Don't tell me this means that you're not going to be our classmate?!?!?!?!?!

Tell me there is still hope....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz8NSbdN7aE[/YOUTUBE]

Hey all,

I just wanted to say hello to everyone on here. I am very excited because I was just admitted to RVU about two weeks ago and I am ecstatic!

So I just thought I would stop by and say hello to all my soon to be fellow classmates. :)

I was just wondering if anyone else on this site got accepted into anyother DO schools? And what made you decide to go to RVU over the other schools? I am trying to decide between RVUCOM and a different school. I loved RV and everyone at the school, and on this site seems so happy and friendly, so I having a hard time decideing.:)

I was just wondering if anyone else on this site got accepted into anyother DO schools? And what made you decide to go to RVU over the other schools? I am trying to decide between RVUCOM and a different school. I loved RV and everyone at the school, and on this site seems so happy and friendly, so I having a hard time decideing.:)

RVU !!!!!

I drove by RVU last night and showed my fiancée where my new second home will be for the next two years. Takes me about 25 minutes to get home with no traffic, not sure how long the drive will take in AM rush hour, I'm thinking about 45 minutes. I think I'll be sending my second deposit in soon, the possibility of staying in down for school far exceeds any of the advantages another school might offer.

The lights were on but the "keep out!" fence was still up. I'm looking forward to when I can actually go inside the building.

-Harry

Hey all, I just got the call from the dean at Western yesterday and got accepted there. and now i'm torn. I truely love everything about RVU, the facilities, the people, the landscape...but Western is established, and pretty much right in my backyard (even if pomona is an armpit) so it is easier. I just don't know what to do, and I gues i'm looking for some in-put....?

Hey all, I just got the call from the dean at Western yesterday and got accepted there. and now i'm torn. I truely love everything about RVU, the facilities, the people, the landscape...but Western is established, and pretty much right in my backyard (even if pomona is an armpit) so it is easier. I just don't know what to do, and I gues i'm looking for some in-put....?

That's a decision that only you can make, really. As you stated, "Pomona is an armpit" (I've never been there) but logistically, it looks like it'd work out for you. Without a doubt, you'll get to where you need to go from both schools. Western does have established rotations and RVU clinicals (hit GG for .pdf) are at great sites, too. I have a good friend who went to Western who is now doing his peds residency at Duke and he liked it (is from Arkansas originally).

If you're comfortable with being part of the inaugural class at RVU and you like the RVU faculty (Nova, TCOM, OSU, etc.) , educational model (UofC relationship), location (not med student saturated), and rotation sites (2-3 Level Is, 7 Level IIs,etc.) - hang onto it. If you'd rather have Western nearby with regard to location as well as more established clinicals, go for it instead. Best of luck with your decision!

Hi, I am in the same boat. I got accepted to RVU in November, and I loved the staff and the students ( from chatting ), and the technology is going to be great. I have turned down other schools for RVU, but as of last month I got accepted in to Westerns' Northwest track, and I do not think I can pass that up. Right know I am officially a student at both schools, and still a little up in the air. I know how you are feeling. I think RVU is going to be great great school but (who knows?? what will happen or how the students will be looked at in the future, I know what the admission staff says but who really knows???) vs. Western who is already established (an everything is known). That is my two cents I hopes it helps a little. Also I started a forum site called "Need help in desiding on a school" and I asked the same question and had about 20 people respond, you may want to check it out, it is helpping me on my quest for the right school for me.

I think RVU is going to be great great school but (who knows?? what will happen or how the students will be looked at in the future, I know what the admission staff says but who really knows???) vs. Western who is already established (an everything is known). That is my two cents I hopes it helps a little.

Good luck with your decision.:thumbup: Choosing a school can be difficult, especially for those of us fortunate enough to be holding multiple acceptances.

By nature, people are generally fearful and skeptical of unknowns - especially those unknowns fueled by conjecture and blown out of proportion. The wanton attacks have occurred consistently in the past here on SDN and to a wide variety of med schools - for an even wider variety of reasons. It's also all too easy for people to attempt to exploit perceived weaknesses of other schools simply because it's not their chosen school. Whatever school you choose will obviously be at the top of your list but it doesn't mean one should try to use other people's chosen schools as "footholds" in a pathetic attempt to justify their own decision - and that happens much too often in this tiny SDN community (not directed at you, just generally speaking).

For the majority, RVUCOM is an opportunity to contribute to a greater success in a very desirable and forecasted physician shortage area (Mountain West). At the worst, RVU will be just as good as any other medical school based on it's faculty and educational model and it will provide the right opportunities to the students. At its best, RVUCOM will prove to be better than the majority of other medical schools because the experienced faculty and staff will exceed in their duties by fostering a superior education and clinical opportunities, paving the way to an increased measure of success for those physicians it graduates.

Could it be any more obvious of a trolling attempt? A new "malice account", consisting of a single post, specifically created by either a jaded Caribbean student who wishes they'd gone DO - or one of the two individuals here on SDN who likes to spread false information. Cowardly behavior and everyone knows that US-trained DO students will typically get dibs on residencies before FMGs. The only thing I found of value in that entire ValueMD thread was the quote "No I am not intelligent, that is why I had to go to caribbean medical school like you." Do you really think you added any value to SDN by bringing the ValueMD bickering over here? LOL

Futhermore, Dr. Martin/Dr. Smith have been working to create over 300 AOA-approved residencies in the Mountain West for those interested in such residencies (sorry Caribbean FMGs, they are AOA):

"With only one medical school in the state, many of Colorado's hospitals have never had GME programs. Those hospitals without GME programs have more freedom to establish and fund new GME positions as compared with hospitals maintaining existing training programs. As such, RVUCOM is negotiating with these hospitals to establish AOA-approved residencies in family medicine, internal medicine, and neuromuscular medicine, as well as anesthesiology, cardiology, emergency medicine, gastroenterology, general surgery, neurology, obstetrics, oncology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, and thoracic surgery." JAOA • Vol 107 • No 10 • October 2007 • 426-428

FMG's will always have a difficult time come the match process on US soil. Your thread is a handful of FMG's (one of which I am sure you are) complaining about this. It in NO WAY has ANY relation to the RVUCOM grads - we won't have the match issues you have.

Good try. Complain about your problems somewhere else. :)

Hey Rocky Vista Prospective students. If you would like to see how the Ownership of your new school will treat you in a few years, check out this active thread from AUC students:

http://www.valuemd.com/american-uni...52484-will-we-have-enough-clinical-sites.html

A new "malice account", consisting of a single post, specifically created by either a jaded Caribbean student who wishes they'd gone DO - or one of the two individuals here on SDN who likes to spread false information.

That would be my vote. :D

"With only one medical school in the state, many of Colorado's hospitals have never had GME programs. Those hospitals without GME programs have more freedom to establish and fund new GME positions as compared with hospitals maintaining existing training programs. As such, RVUCOM is negotiating with these hospitals to establish AOA-approved residencies in family medicine, internal medicine, and neuromuscular medicine, as well as anesthesiology, cardiology, emergency medicine, gastroenterology, general surgery, neurology, obstetrics, oncology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, and thoracic surgery." JAOA • Vol 107 • No 10 • October 2007 • 426-428

I can't wait to see how this all comes together. It would be great to settle down through school, residency, and hopefully job, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. CO is a prime location, so if they do get the new OGMEs off the ground, we will be the lucky ones with all the contacts, LORs, and local experience.

Just a friendly reminder that this is the RVU interview discussion thread. Please try to stay on target. It is not to be used as a political platform. Also, if you are deliberately attempting to incite or cause trouble, refrain from doing so, since it is a violation of the TOS and will be dealt with appropriately. Lastly, please do not feed attempts to side-track the thread. While your intentions might be good, it simply draws out the issue. Thank you.

SoCalDOc, I was kind of in a similar position as you, so I thought it might be useful if I shared with you what made me ultimately decide on RVU. I'm from the Chicago area and was accepted to both RVU and CCOM. As many people know CCOM is very well established, very well regarded, has excellent pass rates and residency matches. RVU, as we all know is a new school and thus brings with it all of the uncertainty that anything that is new has. But it also brings with it all of the positives that an established school doesn't have.

At RVU we won't be mired down in the tradition that already exists at a particular school; we as students will be forming the traditions in the way that we best see fit. The teachers will be extremely student focused, and, selfishly, only on us. There aren't any other schools yet at RVU so even our "basic" classes will only be med students. Also, the viability of the school is entirely dependent on our success, not only as a class, but as a group of very talented individuals. Thus, the teachers will certainly provide a challenging, but nurturing education that will allow us to, I believe, really flourish as medical students. The clinical sites are very diverse and since there aren't hundreds of other med students in those sites (like CCOM would have) we will be able to have a great deal of hands on training that will put us so far ahead of others when it ultimately comes to residencies. My parents are both doctors (my mom has 3rd and 4th year students from CCOM rotate with her and my dad teaches 3rd and 4th years from CMS) and they both advised me on the above and helped to contribute to my decision, so I believe that with their experience these points are pretty valid.

Other than that, there were a number of personal factors that led to my decision to go to RVU (among which I just felt I "fit" so much better at RVU), but ultimately I feel like I made the right choice. I honestly can't wait for med school to start and can't wait to meet all of the other people who are as excited as I am at the great potential of what I believe will be a great school!:)

SoCalDOc, I was kind of in a similar position as you, so I thought it might be useful if I shared with you what made me ultimately decide on RVU. I'm from the Chicago area and was accepted to both RVU and CCOM. As many people know CCOM is very well established, very well regarded, has excellent pass rates and residency matches. RVU, as we all know is a new school and thus brings with it all of the uncertainty that anything that is new has. But it also brings with it all of the positives that an established school doesn't have.

At RVU we won't be mired down in the tradition that already exists at a particular school; we as students will be forming the traditions in the way that we best see fit. The teachers will be extremely student focused, and, selfishly, only on us. There aren't any other schools yet at RVU so even our "basic" classes will only be med students. Also, the viability of the school is entirely dependent on our success, not only as a class, but as a group of very talented individuals. Thus, the teachers will certainly provide a challenging, but nurturing education that will allow us to, I believe, really flourish as medical students. The clinical sites are very diverse and since there aren't hundreds of other med students in those sites (like CCOM would have) we will be able to have a great deal of hands on training that will put us so far ahead of others when it ultimately comes to residencies. My parents are both doctors (my mom has 3rd and 4th year students from CCOM rotate with her and my dad teaches 3rd and 4th years from CMS) and they both advised me on the above and helped to contribute to my decision, so I believe that with their experience these points are pretty valid.

Other than that, there were a number of personal factors that led to my decision to go to RVU (among which I just felt I "fit" so much better at RVU), but ultimately I feel like I made the right choice. I honestly can't wait for med school to start and can't wait to meet all of the other people who are as excited as I am at the great potential of what I believe will be a great school!:)

Well said, tanvilu!

I was invited for an interview at Rocky Vista, and I chose the earliest date they had available, which was March 24th. However, I can't find a flight from South Florida to Denver for much less than $500 (because of spring break, I guess). When I search for flights in the second week of April, I can get them for less than half (around $250). Would I be an ******* if I called and tried to reschedule the interview?

Well, I think you have a very difficult and important decision to make. On the one hand, you have received a very inviting invite from a brand new program, with hope and enthusiasm. On the other hand, you have a concrete offer from a solid program that has an establised repution, and much less risk.

One day, you will be a doctor, and you will have to make a similar type of decision with treatments: do you go with the unproven Tx that offers great promise or do you go with the Tx with has proven to be reliable.

Right now, Rocky View can offer you promises, pictures, and anonomous recommendations over the internet that will certainly benifit Rocky View. On the other hand, Western can offer you actual accounts of students who have been through their program and can attest to the strengths.

When I go on Ebay, I look at the sellers recommendations before I buy. In this case, you really don't have much of a record to go by except for the experiences of students who currently attend programs that are run by the owners of Rocky View.

I wish you the best of success in your career.

I was invited for an interview at Rocky Vista, and I chose the earliest date they had available, which was March 24th. However, I can't find a flight from South Florida to Denver for much less than $500 (because of spring break, I guess). When I search for flights in the second week of April, I can get them for less than half (around $250). Would I be an ******* if I called and tried to reschedule the interview?
that depends, do you wanna risk getting into RVU to save 250 bucks? RVU is rolling admissions, and its completely conceivable that those three extra weeks could fill up the last remaining spots. When all is said and done, you're probably gonna be 250-300k in the hole anyways, so what $250 in the grand scheme of things?

Well, I think you have a very difficult and important decision to make. On the one hand, you have received a very inviting invite from a brand new program, with hope and enthusiasm. On the other hand, you have a concrete offer from a solid program that has an establised repution, and much less risk.

One day, you will be a doctor, and you will have to make a similar type of decision with treatments: do you go with the unproven Tx that offers great promise or do you go with the Tx with has proven to be reliable.

Right now, Rocky View can offer you promises, pictures, and anonomous recommendations over the internet that will certainly benifit Rocky View. On the other hand, Western can offer you actual accounts of students who have been through their program and can attest to the strengths.

When I go on Ebay, I look at the sellers recommendations before I buy. In this case, you really don't have much of a record to go by except for the experiences of students who currently attend programs that are run by the owners of Rocky View.

I wish you the best of success in your career.

Rocky View? Ya know, for a second I was reading your post with an open mind to try and hear an unbiased opinion...but I kinda have to wonder how much you actually know about what your talking about...

Thanks for reconfirming my initial thought, SoCalDoc. It's not worth saving a couple hundred bucks.

Valuable addition. :thumbup:

Well, it's a pretty personal decision. I can't tell which would be best for you, but if it were me, I'd choose Western, simply because it's a well established school with a solid hx. Pomona might be not be the best of locations, but it's reasonably liveable; it's just empty-looking. It isn't far from more desirable areas in SoCal. Besides, location shouldn't be your main concern. You should be focused on what school is going to best prepare you for residency and beyond. Certainly, Western is going to present you with the least amount of risk and it is a much better known school, so that's going to work in your favor during the match.

On the hand, RVU is completely new and a bit controversal as well. You are placing yourself at risk, for sure. Some people like that. However, given a choice between new/controversal and well-known/established, I'm going to go with the well-known/established unless there is evidence to believe that I'd fair better at the first. This is your future we are talking about here. Choose wisely. Good luck.

No!!! Just call and ask. They are so understanding and I am sure that IF they can, they will accommodate you. :)

But, the class is potentially practically full. If all the second deposits come by the due date, then they have filled 135-145 spots out of the 150 available. So, it might be in your best interest to go for your interview as soon as possible!

Good Luck!

Well, it's a pretty personal decision. I can't tell which would be best for you, but if it were me, I'd choose Western, simply because it's a well established school with a solid hx. Pomona might be not be the best of locations, but it's reasonably liveable; it's just empty-looking. It isn't far from more desirable areas in SoCal. Besides, location shouldn't be your main concern. You should be focused on what school is going to best prepare you for residency and beyond. Certainly, Western is going to present you with the least amount of risk and it is a much better known school, so that's going to work in your favor during the match.

On the hand, RVU is completely new and a bit controversal as well. You are placing yourself at risk, for sure. Some people like that. However, given a choice between new/controversal and well-known/established, I'm going to go with the well-known/established unless there is evidence to believe that I'd fair better at the first. This is your future we are talking about here. Choose wisely. Good luck.

The fact that Rocky Vista is new in NO WAY is an indication that it will not be immediately ready to prepare us for boards and residency. The faculy is amazing and has an enormous amount of experience to prepare us. In fact, a couple of our faculty are coming from a school that has had the top board scores in the country consistently in past years.

That being said, I think that the discussions of "should I go to Rocky Vista" would best be discussed in other threads. This thread is for interview discussions.

You should be focused on what school is going to best prepare you for residency and beyond.
This is pure speculation. There's no way to compare RVUCOMs educational model or clinical opportunities with Western's.

Western is a much better known school, so that's going to work in your favor during the match.
Again, speculation. The majority would agree that name recognition is virtually absent (this isn't Ivy League) when it comes to the match and PD perspective. It's always been about the individual and their numbers and accomplishments, plain and simple. The match is analogous to the process for getting accepted, students come from small, private liberal arts colleges and large, state institutions. The numbers (MCAT & GPA) are the great equalizers. Think about it.

On the hand, RVU is completely new and a bit controversal as well.
I don't think a few on SDN crying from their Ivory Towers about the tax status would make the RVUCOM educational model or the clinical opportunities "controversial". Watch where tax status goes as state's slash funding. People who don't work in state-funded institutions -and particularly young premeds, just don't have the foresight.

You are placing yourself at risk, for sure.
Pure baloney.

Endocardium - Spiced, the mod, has already given multiple warnings with regard to the fact that this thread is for interviewees only. The OP was soliciting feedback from other RVU interviewees and not general opinion from SDNers about RVU in general. If the OP wants a school vs. school thread, that can be arranged with a mere point and click.

Other than that, I don't have an interest in where the OP chooses to attend, I simply don't think people should be misled with false information and "fear" speculation as per usual. Period.

The fact that Rocky Vista is new in NO WAY is an indication that it will not be immediately ready to prepare us for boards and residency. The faculy is amazing and has an enormous amount of experience to prepare us. In fact, a couple of our faculty are coming from a school that has had the top board scores in the country consistently in past years.

That being said, I think that the discussions of "should I go to Rocky Vista" would best be discussed in other threads. This thread is for interview discussions.

Don't get defensive. I simply presented my POV, which I believe to be a fair analysis. I didn't present any arguable material, really. I simply stated that I believe it is better to attend a more established and well-known school than a brand new one, mostly due to risk and the unknown. Western has a good amount of alumni and PD's are more likely to recognize it. RVU is new, unknown, and a bit controversal. It hasn't graduated a class, so it has no alumni. This presents certain risk. If you are the adventurous type and you think RVU is going to help prepare best prepare you, then, okay, go for it. I'd go with Western, but that's me.

Anyway, it should be noted that the truth is rarely with the "cheerleaders" or with the detractors. The truth tends to lie between the extremes. Take all the information with a grain of salt, put it all together, and make an informed, but also heartfelt decision.

That's the last I'm going to say about it. Sorry for going off-course, but the member asked for opinions.

On the same page with impeccable timing, again, I see. :D