Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is the average for matriculating students, the average for applying students is likely lower. Keep in mind, this is an average, so for every student with a 29 there was a student with a 25.

Anyone going to the open house in July? What are you wearing? Would a suit be appropriate?

Go to an open house if you can. You can do business-casual (khakis/slacks/skirt with a button-down or Oxford). Go to the OMM demonstration and the faculty panel. You will tour on interview day and wear a suit then. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to an open house if you can. You can do business-casual (khakis/slacks/skirt with a button-down or Oxford). Go to the OMM demonstration and the faculty panel. You will tour on interview day and wear a suit then. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the advice.

So would a suit jacket be "too much" for the tour? Maybe with khakis instead of slacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Energy Drink tell us all about the open house when you get back from it.... Us here in Florida are sad we are missing out:cry:

Ask the admissions office if they do a virtual open house or chat room.

I'll let you guys know. It's going to be hot, more than likely, so I'm not to fond of business casual.

I looked at PCOM's financial aid website to try to get an idea for scholarships. I've heard of schools offering "competitive" scholarships to attract some students that they're really high on, does PCOM do this? At what point would they try to entice you?

Okay, thanks, that beats the PDF I was looking at.

So is everyone here applying for 2013? I'm excited about PCOM. I actually met one of their AdCom members a few weeks ago when I was presenting a poster (she was the judge). I didn't win best poster, but I think she liked it :)

PCOM is probably my top choice because its close to home, but there are things I like about LECOM too (especially the tuition). The only problem is LECOM is in the part of PA known as "Pennsyltucky".

Okay, thanks, that beats the PDF I was looking at.

So is everyone here applying for 2013? I'm excited about PCOM. I actually met one of their AdCom members a few weeks ago when I was presenting a poster (she was the judge). I didn't win best poster, but I think she liked it :)

PCOM is probably my top choice because its close to home, but there are things I like about LECOM too (especially the tuition). The only problem is LECOM is in the part of PA known as "Pennsyltucky".

Can't go wrong with a simulation lab, new rec-center, and a system-based curriculum!

Just thought I'd share some info with everyone in regards to the required LOR from either a pre-health committee or an academic dean.

Most schools have a "dean's recommendation" or "dean's certification" letter which states your class rank, academic disciplinary history (if any), and current standing (financially). I'm sure if you look under the Dean of Students on your respective undergrad website, you'll see a link or some info on how to request this letter. This can replace the pre-health committee letter if you do not have one. I guess PCOM just wants to make sure you are financially and academically trustworthy.

Hope this helps.

Just thought I'd share some info with everyone in regards to the required LOR from either a pre-health committee or an academic dean.

Most schools have a "dean's recommendation" or "dean's certification" letter which states your class rank, academic disciplinary history (if any), and current standing (financially). I'm sure if you look under the Dean of Students on your respective undergrad website, you'll see a link or some info on how to request this letter. This can replace the pre-health committee letter if you do not have one. I guess PCOM just wants to make sure you are financially and academically trustworthy.

Hope this helps.

From what I hear, this "requirement" is waived often, especially for non-trads. I don't have a Dean letter nor do I have a committee letter, since I graduated 3 years ago.

EDIT: I was misinformed. They are lenient on what they will accept as a letter, but they need something verifying your enrollment and status. Usually a committee letter works fine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear, this "requirement" is waived often, especially for non-trads. I don't have a Dean letter nor do I have a committee letter, since I graduated 3 years ago.

Makes sense. That's good to hear, I graduated a year ago so I'm not sure if I am still eligible for my deans letter anyway.

Makes sense. That's good to hear, I graduated a year ago so I'm not sure if I am still eligible for my deans letter anyway.

I am sure if you have the classic three 2 science 1 non science everything will be just fine. If a dean letter can be obtained I don't see why not. Add in a letter from a Doc and you are good to go.

Yeahh a friend of mine who recently graduated from PCOM said they favor DO letters and pretty much expects to see one from the applicant, although not required.

online information session is the best they can do... I signed up for the July 16th one.... Feel free to register guys

Thanks for the info! Totally missed that event on their site. I signed up for the 16th so see you there :thumbup:

Signed up for online info session too. Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Signed up as well :D Shame the one day I am working a 12-hour shift that week is the day the Osteopathic open house is... :(

Hey guys! It states on the website that a department chair can write the letter for the dean or pre-health advisor letter. Is this up to date?

Quick note to anyone interviewing at PCOM--> each letter is pronounced when saying PCOM. (P-C-O-M, not P-COM).

Probably not a deal breaker, but good to know.

Signed up as well :D Shame the one day I am working a 12-hour shift that week is the day the Osteopathic open house is... :(

Can you guys link me to this info session signup?

Hey guys! It states on the website that a department chair can write the letter for the dean or pre-health advisor letter. Is this up to date?

It is... They are just looking for a letter that states that you have graduated or will graduate in good standing really.

Don't blatantly kiss ass by saying you went to an open house or attended an online webinar. Something along the lines of, "I heard blah blah blah at blah... is this true?"

Don't blatantly kiss ass by saying you went to an open house or attended an online webinar. Something along the lines of, "I heard blah blah blah at blah... is this true?"

Right. Just mention what appealed to you that you learned about in the open house, how you would be a good fit, etc.

Wish I could go too but I am moving into a new apartment that day :(

Let SDN know how it is for those who go!

I did a little more research on the Dean's letter.

They just want something that can be as short as 1 sentence. "EnergyDrink graduated in 2009 in good academic standing". It needs to be a professional letter from an advisor, dean, or someone else that has privvy to that information. It is essentially enrollment verification, and all schools should have a service to provide this, as most employers want to verify their employees credentials.

My school (Penn State) offers a verification service online, where I can request it by mail. This is not via the office of the dean, but the office of the registrar. I called PCOM and told them this and they told me that was fine.

So they are lenient in what they will accept, but they want something on file. I'm not sure why they need this information, but I figure they must have been burned by someone in the past.

They won't consider your application complete for review without this information. I don't want anybody's chances being hurt because they think its not necessary.

Last edited:
I did a little more research on the Dean's letter.

They just want something that can be as short as 1 sentence. "EnergyDrink graduated in 2009 in good academic standing". It needs to be a professional letter from an advisor, dean, or someone else that has privvy to that information. It is essentially enrollment verification, and all schools should have a service to provide this, as most employers want to verify their employees credentials.

My school (Penn State) offers a verification service online, where I can request it by mail. This is not via the office of the dean, but the office of the registrar. I called and told them this and they told me that was fine.

So they are lenient in what they will accept, but they want something on file. I'm not sure why they need this information, but I figure they must have been burned by someone in the past.

They won't consider your application complete for review without this information. I don't want anybody's chances being hurt because they think its not necessary.

CMA is all it is....

This is good to know about this specific letter. My academic advisor who I asked specifically to fulfill this requirement has not finished his letter for me but if I can tell him he only needs to speak of my good academic standing, perhaps it can expedite the completion of his letter.

Thanks for looking into this!

This is good to know about this specific letter. My academic advisor who I asked specifically to fulfill this requirement has not finished his letter for me but if I can tell him he only needs to speak of my good academic standing, perhaps it can expedite the completion of his letter.

Thanks for looking into this!

Yeah it may.... Would be good to let him know.

Uhoh. On their main site it says a letter from a dean, advisor or department head...

I have my department head writing me a letter, but he was my research mentor and I had him for a bazillion classes... so he is writing all about that...

Meh. Now I am wondering if that'll count...

EDIT: Alright I completely managed to freak myself out. From one section of their admissions page:

academic advisor, dean or department chair from the undergraduate degree-granting institution
(Please note that this is the only required letter, however, we will accept additional letters from other sources).

From another, a couple of paragraphs down:

Applicants are required to submit a letter of recommendation from the premedical committee or premedical advisor of the undergraduate college that grants or will grant a bachelor's degree, regardless of your academic major, course of study or graduation. If that is not possible, a letter from your academic advisor or Dean of the same institution may substitute. Another letter of recommendation, preferably from an osteopathic physician, is strongly suggested but is not required.

:scared:

Uhoh. On their main site it says a letter from a dean, advisor or department head...

I have my department head writing me a letter, but he was my research mentor and I had him for a bazillion classes... so he is writing all about that...

Meh. Now I am wondering if that'll count...

It will count if he is department head but he has to state so in the letter along with the fact that you have no disciplinary actions against you and you are a student in good standing

So I found the secondary from last year, and decided to use the prompts to write my essay while I wait to be verified.

Why do you want to attend PCOM and why do you want to become a osteopathic physician?

What health care related experiences have you had?

Anyone from last cycle have tips regarding answering these?

Do you know if that was the same as the 2010-11 prompt? Seems like a pretty standard prompt so maybe I'll try and get a head start on it as well.

Do you know if that was the same as the 2010-11 prompt? Seems like a pretty standard prompt so maybe I'll try and get a head start on it as well.

I think so. If anyone gets the secondaries and can confirm this, I would appreciate it.

I think so. If anyone gets the secondaries and can confirm this, I would appreciate it.

I'm a re-applicant, last year's prompt was:

"Noting the mission and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO."

I wonder if they change the prompt every year then, or if they change it every few.

Thanks for that though. Any tips that you learned from last year?

umm I was skimming the "required letter" stuff until very recently when I looked at it closely...now I'm freaking out , too. Can I get this letter from the place I'm doing my post-bacc at? Getting a hold of anyone at my UG institution is gonna be hard 1-2+ years out.

umm I was skimming the "required letter" stuff until very recently when I looked at it closely...now I'm freaking out , too. Can I get this letter from the place I'm doing my post-bacc at? Getting a hold of anyone at my UG institution is gonna be hard 1-2+ years out.

I did it 3+ years out, it is not as hard as you think, they are used to it.