PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 1.23 - just got acceptance letter today (2.6)!!
Pumped as eff (wasn't sure they would accept a guy with a beard).
Anyone else who interviewed 1.23?!

Thanks to all who post to this site, as we all know, it's an unbelievable place to show/receive support.

Big ups to R1MD, UGA2008, Rollo, DrRedhead, HDaddyDollarz, and Bacchus.

Moving to Philly from Chicago ASAP, so would love to meet up with yall (and any other SDN.ers) in real life at some point!

Congrats!!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone who has already interviewed shed a little light on the interview itself? I have had a few interviews thus far, but PCOM is a top choice for me and want to make sure I am prepared. I read most of the stuff in the interview forum, but it never hurts to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has already interviewed shed a little light on the interview itself? I have had a few interviews thus far, but PCOM is a top choice for me and want to make sure I am prepared. I read most of the stuff in the interview forum, but it never hurts to ask.

Show that you've thought out the reasons for why you want to be a physician and how the decisions you've made (or may not have made) have helped you decide that a career in medicine is right for you. Also, don't feed them the wikipedia-holistic-medicine answer when asked "Why DO?". Look around SDN for the "correct" answer to why DO.

And same goes for Why PCOM. Let them know why it's your top choice...be completely honest...they're good at detecting the sincerity in your answers.

Good luck.

Hey guys,
So I’ve been waiting around to hear from PCOM for a while now and couldn’t figure out why I haven’t back yet at all. I thought I sent my letters of recommendation but when I checked the delivery information on interfolio there was no record of lor’s being sent to PCOM! I sent them today but now Im just so upset, do you all think I just threw away any shot I have of an interview?

Sincerely,
Down in the Dumps

I was there on February 2nd for the person that didn't have the interviewers contact info. The man that interviewed us was Johnathan Cox and the student's name was Theo if I remember correctly. I got Johnathan's card on the way out the door his email is [email protected]. Hope this helps if you didn't already call the admissions office. Best of luck!

Has anyone else who applied to the DO/PhD program in Cell and Molecular Biology heard anything yet? They said interviews for the program would be held March 1 - 15 so I'm hoping to hear sometime soon

Has anyone else who applied to the DO/PhD program in Cell and Molecular Biology heard anything yet? They said interviews for the program would be held March 1 - 15 so I'm hoping to hear sometime soon

I am also waiting on DO/PhD. No word yet. I had sent my application a while back but it was only on 2/1 that I saw it updated online.

I haven't seen anything about the DO/PhD in cell bio...I see the one about public health but that does not seem to be funded/stipend like a true MD/PhD.

Was there a separate/additional application for this? Seems like it would be an obvious yes, but I don't remember seeing another application for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was there a separate/additional application for this? Seems like it would be an obvious yes, but I don't remember seeing another application for it.

The admissions office sent me an email in December with a separate application from University of the Sciences for the PhD program. They said the email was automatically sent to people who indicated on the PCOM secondary that they were interested in the program. It said this is the first year they're doing the combined cell and molecular bio DO/PhD program.

The admissions office sent me an email in December with a separate application from University of the Sciences for the PhD program. They said the email was automatically sent to people who indicated on the PCOM secondary that they were interested in the program. It said this is the first year they're doing the combined cell and molecular bio DO/PhD program.

Hmm... Interesting. I also indicated I was interested in the program, but never got anything e-mailed to me. The faculty who was interviewing me in the beginning of January did mention something about it (because he could see I checked the box in the application) -- about how they would contact me later on about the PhD aspect or something. Who knows. Bummer if I missed that train!

Is this something new? Is it like MSTP of the MD world?

Yep, it's a combined DO/PhD program with 2 years of pre-clinical, 3-5 years of PhD research and 2 years of clinical rotations.

This program is separate from DO/PhD in Health policy as indicated by others in this thread it is in cell & molec bio.

The fangs of PCOM are expanding...:D

Has anyone gotten an interview recently? I've been complete since oct and haven't heard anything since

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

What a great resource! I was already accepted to schools, but this is an awesome document even for those done searching for schools. Thanks for the effort and for thinking of others.

how is the class size looking, for those who have already interviewed/been accepted?

My file isn't complete there yet =( still waiting on a letter.

Should I pull my file now? or rather, just forget about this school now? I know the secondaries are due March 1st and it's mid-feb...

Am I too late??

how is the class size looking, for those who have already interviewed/been accepted?

My file isn't complete there yet =( still waiting on a letter.

Should I pull my file now? or rather, just forget about this school now? I know the secondaries are due March 1st and it's mid-feb...

Am I too late??

Why pull it? There's always a chance.

Props man! ... and with a beard too!

Moving to Philly immediately? What's the plan for the next 5 months? Looking forward to meeting you in August!

Congrats again-- it's a great feeling!

Interviewed 1.23 - just got acceptance letter today (2.6)!!
Pumped as eff (wasn't sure they would accept a guy with a beard).
Anyone else who interviewed 1.23?!

Thanks to all who post to this site, as we all know, it's an unbelievable place to show/receive support - so hang in there for those still waiting!

Big ups to R1MD, UGA2008, Rollo, DrRedhead, HDaddyDollarz, and Bacchus.

Moving to Philly from Chicago ASAP, so would love to meet up with yall (and any other SDN.ers) in real life at some point!

How late in the season does PCOM interview, been complete since october but I havent heard anything back from them yet :(

Hello,

I was wondering if the class is full for this cycle. Are they still calling for interviews.

Hello,

I was wondering if the class is full for this cycle. Are they still calling for interviews.

They are still interviewing candidates. I do hope all your application materials are in. Maybe send an update letter if you have not heard anything yet.

if my file is yet to be complete (this was one of the schools I had left till later to decide to apply to) is it generally too late? I know it's a week from deadline, but I've heard of miracles haha.

Interviewed 2/1, no word yet! The waiting is awful!

For anyone that has received a "Decision Deferred" letter, have any of you since been informed of the decision? I know it does mention they will inform us by late April, but sooner would be nice.

Interviewed 1/23, got deferred letter, still waiting.....does everyone either get an acceptance/waitlist/deferred, or do they also reject outright?

Interviewed 1/23, got deferred letter, still waiting.....does everyone either get an acceptance/waitlist/deferred, or do they also reject outright?
My understanding is that all four are possibilities. I suppose that they want a larger pool of applicants prior to making a decision since the number of interviewees is rather small on any particular day. I believe I only saw one person (on here at least) that was accepted from the 1/23 interview day. I interviewed on 1/26 and looking on here no one had mentioned they have yet heard, aside from the deferred decision letter.

My understanding is that all four are possibilities. I suppose that they want a larger pool of applicants prior to making a decision since the number of interviewees is rather small on any particular day. I believe I only saw one person (on here at least) that was accepted from the 1/23 interview day. I interviewed on 1/26 and looking on here no one had mentioned they have yet heard, aside from the deferred decision letter.

i am sure that all the people who get accepted do not post on SDN. SDN has a small crowd in the grand scheme of the medical and premedical student community. every time i interview somewhere, i ask all the other applicants if they use SDN... half ask me what SDN is and are shocked to know they could have looked up interview questions. The other half say no because its just a bunch of complaining, whining, or over zealous cheering.
usually people post they did not get accepted to complain. or they post they got accepted because they have been posting on the thread for the past 2 months or so following along. so i would say that you shouldnt use SDN as a judge of your candidacy....

I completely agree with you. I think you have to take what many people say with a grain of salt. It is a good place to share ideas and thoughts, however it surely does seem that people complain when things do not go the way they wish, and gloat when things are favorable. This is not to say that they shouldn't be happy and share when an acceptance is gained (as I did today), but everyone's situation and experiences are different. With the economic decline over the past few years, medical schools have seen an upswing in competition. It's a safe bet that once we get through residency, there will be little shortage of jobs. Well, that's my rant for now.....again best luck to all!

I completely agree with you. I think you have to take what many people say with a grain of salt. It is a good place to share ideas and thoughts, however it surely does seem that people complain when things do not go the way they wish, and gloat when things are favorable. This is not to say that they shouldn't be happy and share when an acceptance is gained (as I did today), but everyone's situation and experiences are different. With the economic decline over the past few years, medical schools have seen an upswing in competition. It's a safe bet that once we get through residency, there will be little shortage of jobs. Well, that's my rant for now.....again best luck to all!

Where did you happen to get accepted today? Congrats btw.

Does anyone who go to PCOM or involved with the admissions dept know when the committee meets next?

Thanks

Does anyone who go to PCOM or involved with the admissions dept know when the committee meets next?

Thanks
I was just patrolling this thread due to boredom, I am a 4th year at PCOM and am a student ambassador for the admissions comittee. the comittee meets 2 times a month, i believe the next session is this week. good luck.

I was just patrolling this thread due to boredom, I am a 4th year at PCOM and am a student ambassador for the admissions comittee. the comittee meets 2 times a month, i believe the next session is this week. good luck.

That sounds great! Are you aware if those of us that are "delayed decision" may hear prior to all interviews being conducted?

I dont know for certain, sorry, wish i could help you with your decision. I can understand the stress your under whether you want to go with the school that is garaunteed or wait to see what all your options are. Hope this helps, I can tell you that PCOM was an awesome experience for me and would be willing to argure that it is better than any other D.O school and 1/3 of the MD schools that are out there. Thanks to the education i got here i was able to match into my #1 choice in one of the most competetive specialties in the country.

I dont know for certain, sorry, wish i could help you with your decision. I can understand the stress your under whether you want to go with the school that is garaunteed or wait to see what all your options are. Hope this helps, I can tell you that PCOM was an awesome experience for me and would be willing to argure that it is better than any other D.O school and 1/3 of the MD schools that are out there. Thanks to the education i got here i was able to match into my #1 choice in one of the most competetive specialties in the country.

I must start by saying congratulations on your match. What speciality? I had wonderful experience at PCOM both on interview day and an open house last year. It would be nice to know if I will be accepted not only to reduce stress of not knowing but also so I can possibly not worry about other interviews as much. Although it does give me a great excuse to travel around a bit.

Just heard from admissions that letters went out at the end of last week for those who interviewed in early Feb...fingers crossed...

sorry to hear--pre or post interview?

Post interview. Interviewed 2/628R, 3.9 GPA. Felt I had a strong interview, but this story has been consistent since mid to late jan of decisions being defferred.

Post interview. Interviewed 2/628R, 3.9 GPA. Felt I had a strong interview, but this story has been consistent since mid to late jan of decisions being defferred.

I'm at work right now and anxiously awaiting 5pm so I can go home and check the mail. My stats are similar to yours...I guess my chances of getting accepted aren't as great as I thought/hoped.

I'm at work right now and anxiously awaiting 5pm so I can go home and check the mail. My stats are similar to yours...I guess my chances of getting accepted aren't as great as I thought/hoped.

Not necessarily. Luck of the draw probably. Its much easier to get accepted earlier than later due to obvious reasons. So individuals with lesser stats/credentials that interview early almost guarantee their acceptance. I interviewed at 4 schools early and got all 4 acceptances. This was my only "late" or later interview. How people get chosen before others... well I do not think there is any rhyme or reason as some would say.