PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone here attend the Jan 4th interview during the afternoon? I need the name of one of the interviewers. Can you PM me?

Members don't see this ad.

i just withdrew my acceptance today. I was torn between pcom and ccom, and decided i want to try for somewhere farther away from home. i hope the offer goes to someone worthy here in SDN

i just withdrew my acceptance today. I was torn between pcom and ccom, and decided i want to try for somewhere farther away from home. i hope the offer goes to someone worthy here in SDN
Maybe it'll come to me?? haha One can hope =] Good luck at CCOM!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who are looking for housing near PCOM, I have made a spreadsheet that details some apartment complexes nearby

Attachments

• PCOM.Housing.xlsx
    14.7 KB · Views: 161
Accepted!!! Just got my letter in the mail today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I was complete late October (3.4, 3.2, 23O) I haven't received an interview invite yet. I know my stats are on the lower end, but should I give up hope this cycle? PCOM is my #1 choice!

Got my invite to interview today. anybody know how many interview offers are given per cycle?

what time did you get the interview invite? also when were your secondary complete?

Got my invite to interview today. anybody know how many interview offers are given per cycle?

what time did you get the interview invite? also when was your secondary complete?

interview invite came at 1130 am in an e-mail. secondary was complete December 12th.

Got an interview invite yesterday for 2/6, which I am assuming is pretty late in the interview cycle. I sent them an update letter a couple weeks ago. So maybe that help.

NY resident, 28R, 3.9 GPA.

Any advice?

Thanks

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I was complete 12/5 and still didnt get an interview invite to PCOM -- but did to NYCOM. I sent an updated transcript with a 4.0 semester so that may help things along...

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I was complete 12/5 and still didnt get an interview invite to PCOM -- but did to NYCOM. I sent an updated transcript with a 4.0 semester so that may help things along...

My stats are 28R, 3.9 GPA, NY resident, a ton of work experience in health care.

I have an interview at NYCOM on 1/17. I have received acceptances to CCOM, LECOM-E, and UNECOM.

I am just wondering if interviewing at PCOM on 2/6 is considered a late interview. What would be my chances of acceptance?

Thanks.

I'm in!

Stats: 27P, cGPA- 3.55, sGPA- 3.67
Graduated from undergrad in May'11
Submitted primary around end of September
Received supplemental- 10/21
Email confirming receipt of supplemental- 11/15
Interview invitation- 11/22
Interviewed- 1/4
Acceptance letter received- 1/13
- Out of state.

I am super excited and just so grateful. PCOM is my top choice and I'm still waiting for it all to sink in. Fun fact, the admissions committee had mentioned on the interview date that decision letters would be mailed out on 1/20. So even though I got my acceptance letter on Friday, I was away and didn't bother to check my mail until Sunday! Quick word to all those still in the application process- keep at it and good luck! This is my second time applying to MD/DO schools, last year I was just way too late in the game and I was pretty much fighting for wait list spots. But, everything happens for a reason, and I wouldn't have traded this past "extra" year for anything. So just keep working hard and if medicine is truly what you want to pursue then you'll find a way to get there. :)

I'm in!

Stats: 27P, cGPA- 3.55, sGPA- 3.67
Graduated from undergrad in May'11
Submitted primary around end of September
Received supplemental- 10/21
Email confirming receipt of supplemental- 11/15
Interview invitation- 11/22
Interviewed- 1/4
Acceptance letter received- 1/13
- Out of state.

I am super excited and just so grateful. PCOM is my top choice and I'm still waiting for it all to sink in. Fun fact, the admissions committee had mentioned on the interview date that decision letters would be mailed out on 1/20. So even though I got my acceptance letter on Friday, I was away and didn't bother to check my mail until Sunday! Quick word to all those still in the application process- keep at it and good luck! This is my second time applying to MD/DO schools, last year I was just way too late in the game and I was pretty much fighting for wait list spots. But, everything happens for a reason, and I wouldn't have traded this past "extra" year for anything. So just keep working hard and if medicine is truly what you want to pursue then you'll find a way to get there. :)

congrats! join the facebook group and introduce yourself!! :)

Stats: 29Q, 3.63c, 3.5sci
I was wondering if anyone else applied to the DO/PhD program and still has not heard anything about an interview. I've already been accepted to NYCOM, but it doesn't have to PhD joint option, so PCOM would be nice.

Stats: 29Q, 3.63c, 3.5sci
I was wondering if anyone else applied to the DO/PhD program and still has not heard anything about an interview. I've already been accepted to NYCOM, but it doesn't have to PhD joint option, so PCOM would be nice.

I applied as well and haven't heard anything. The email said that prescreening for the DO/PhD program would be done by Feb 1st and interviews would be conducted March 1st - 15th, so I'm thinking we'll hear back sometime in February.

how many interview offers are given per cycle?

I applied as well and haven't heard anything. The email said that prescreening for the DO/PhD program would be done by Feb 1st and interviews would be conducted March 1st - 15th, so I'm thinking we'll hear back sometime in February.

Keep in mind that they have two distinct PhD programs.

First one is the normal bench science (which you would have had to respond by now).

second one is HPM. I was told to hold until they contacted you.

Does anyone know what the average matriculant MCAT is? I know this may be a common fact... but I'm having a bear finding it!

At the open house, they said for last year it was 28Q, I believe.

Complete 9/29/12 - haven't heard a thing! Should I give them a call? <30Q 3.3 GPA

I've been complete since the beginning of October, and I was just talking to my mom today about how sure I was that PCOM had put me in the pile of applications to be rejected at the end of the cycle. And then I got home to an invite. Holy shisha. Feb 13th. AH. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL.

I've been complete since the beginning of October, and I was just talking to my mom today about how sure I was that PCOM had put me in the pile of applications to be rejected at the end of the cycle. And then I got home to an invite. Holy shisha. Feb 13th. AH. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL.
Congrats!!

Was complete in early October. Finally got an interview for Feb 13th!

I have my interview at PCOM tomorrow and am pretty excited about it. Anybody else on this forum going to be out there? From everything I have read on the school website and this forum PCOM sounds like a great place to go.

For those who are looking for housing near PCOM, I have made a spreadsheet that details some apartment complexes nearby

YOU ARE AMAZING!! thank you!! Me and my buddy have been looking for housing and this REALLY helps things.. any personal recommendations? looking for a 2 bedroom/ 1.5-2 bath as close as possible to the school.

Thank you again!!!

YOU ARE AMAZING!! thank you!! Me and my buddy have been looking for housing and this REALLY helps things.. any personal recommendations? looking for a 2 bedroom/ 1.5-2 bath as close as possible to the school.

Thank you again!!!

Don't stay at Presidential. That place is literally a prison.

Spend a bit more and get a place at Lincoln Green. Walking distance, nice apartments, reasonable rent, etc.

Finally received an interview invite for 2/13! I was all set to go to LECOM-E, but then this came. Can't wait for the interview, philly would be awesome.

Spend a bit more and get a place at Lincoln Green. Walking distance, nice apartments, reasonable rent, etc.

Or buy a house 40 minutes from PCOM so you have an excuse to only tegrity and never see any other neurotic med students :D (oh and not pad some scumrat landlords wallet).

I actually hated Lincoln Green. Didn't resign my lease at the end of last year. Apartments were poorly built, lots of problems (mice, bugs, electrical issues), not well maintained. Prices went up a lot last year. I was paying $1270 for a 2BR/2BA and it increased to over $1400 in one year, and does not include any utilities. My friend's 1 BR/1BA went from $870 to over $1000 last year. I definitely don't think they are worth the price increase. But Rollo is right: close to school, walking distance.

My boyfriend lived at Presidential and it was a lot cheaper and similar quality to lincoln green IMO. Security isn't as good, and if you live in the main building you will probably have issues with rodents and bugs because of the restaurant.

Heard Beekman is good. Bala Mansions are REALLY nice, but expensive.

I moved to the Art Museum area this year and love it. Apartments are nicer and you can walk to wherever you need to go. It's a 10 minute drive to school, and no traffic if you take Kelly Drive or West River Drive. I hated walking to school in the winter anyway, so I don't mind the drive at all.

I actually hated Lincoln Green. Didn't resign my lease at the end of last year. Apartments were poorly built, lots of problems (mice, bugs, electrical issues), not well maintained. Prices went up a lot last year. I was paying $1270 for a 2BR/2BA and it increased to over $1400 in one year, and does not include any utilities. My friend's 1 BR/1BA went from $870 to over $1000 last year. I definitely don't think they are worth the price increase. But Rollo is right: close to school, walking distance.

My boyfriend lived at Presidential and it was a lot cheaper and similar quality to lincoln green IMO. Security isn't as good, and if you live in the main building you will probably have issues with rodents and bugs because of the restaurant.

Heard Beekman is good. Bala Mansions are REALLY nice, but expensive.

I moved to the Art Museum area this year and love it. Apartments are nicer and you can walk to wherever you need to go. It's a 10 minute drive to school, and no traffic if you take Kelly Drive or West River Drive. I hated walking to school in the winter anyway, so I don't mind the drive at all.

+1 Never really got the appeal of living right on campus and being surrounded by all your classmates all the time. But then again I am an old fart and this isnt college 2.0 for me like it is for a lot of our classmates.

Beekman is good, but expensive. Maintenance is top notch. There is usually parking. Snow removal is good. Have to pay for laundry. There is an underground garage for 40-50 extra a month.

Manayunk is another good option for those who don't mind having parking issues, want proximity to school, bars, restaurants, and want something cheap.