PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I studied for boards first year and in the summer .. I don't think it was worthless. By using brs during class as a supplemental aid .. I was able to familiarize myself with the board style questions , and I recalled the information easier second year during the more intense preparation. Just giving the new students some options.
I personally do not think pcom prepares you enough. A lot of the exam questions are not.board style. I hear that the first and second years are currently working on fixing that. You all can study any way you want though. It's just my advice having been through it. To each his own

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interviewed 03/12 (last Monday afternoon)
Received letter in the mail yesterday 03/19 decision deferred

OOS applicant but living in the Philly area

I heard from a faculty member 7,200 applicants this year. They said it is 1,000 more than any other d.o school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ! Also my last bit of advice to incoming students. Buy the board review series books (brs) for every course (anatomy , biochem , cardio ect) and follow along with that as you learn in class. You can take notes in there or whatever you would like. When it comes time for boards you will remember those pages in the board review book and..... it will be so so so helpful when you are studying for boards. Trust me it is the way to go ! Killing two birds with one stone. It will also help you to clear up any questions you may have

Can you post the URLs/ ISBN #s for these books? Thanks!

Did they mention if they still interview 800 and accept 400?

If I remember correctly they interviewed roughly 760 or so last year. The class size hasn't changed so I see no reason why they would accept and different number of people unless they figure people will have more choice? As far as the 7,200 that is most likely primaries. When I interviewed in late January they expected to exceed 6,500 but far fewer shell out the money for the secondary.

Also I believe they accepted around 450 or so, which I saw on another thread a while back. Please feel free to correct me if anyone has more accurate info.

Also I believe they accepted around 450 or so, which I saw on another thread a while back. Please feel free to correct me if anyone has more accurate info.

450/760 is pretty decent odds..... does that include waitlist?

I really hope I get in, I absolutely loved the place

450/760 is pretty decent odds..... does that include waitlist?

I really hope I get in, I absolutely loved the place

Honestly I am not sure. I wouldn't think so though, considering very few people are rejected post interview. Usually it seems to be that they are wait listed and when the cycle ends, that's it.

Are they still offering interviews, because I have not heard back from them?

I'm not applying until 2013, but could someone help my understand the LOR requirements? I found a lot of posts from a few years back stating that PCOM requires a Dean's LOR. On PCOM's website I find this:

For your file to be considered complete, a letter of recommendation must be sent from one of the following sources:

• pre-health advisor/committee (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate is acceptable)
  • academic advisor, dean or department chair from the undergraduate degree-granting institution
    (Please note that this is the only required letter, however, we will accept additional letters from other sources).
  • Although not required, a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician is strongly encouraged.
  • Official current MCAT scores must be on file. Self reported scores on the AACOMAS application are not considered official.
From this, it seems I only need one LOR from either (not one from each of) the pre-med committee/advisor (which my school doesn't have), the Dean, the department chair, or my academic advisor?

Am I misreading this or is this a recent policy change?

Turning down my seat. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad :)
]Don't really agree with this--not saying it doesn't work for some people, but I don't remember a goddamn thing about them. My classmates all use FA and BRS for everything. FA is good to make sure you're not missing major chunks of info for boards. I use class notes and ONLY when I don't understand something do I resort to a book--and I've been doing well. [/B]

Not saying that atpnrg is wrong, not at all. I am saying that there are going to be seventy people telling you what to do and not any one of them is more correct (usually). You'll find out what works best.

I agree with this even though I said don't go. If you're around, go and meet some people. Don't drive more than an hour to do so.

Do they have their FAs professionally bound into a binder? lmao. That **** pisses me off to no end for some reason. I havent even opened a first aid yet.

I studied for boards first year and in the summer .. I don't think it was worthless. By using brs during class as a supplemental aid .. I was able to familiarize myself with the board style questions , and I recalled the information easier second year during the more intense preparation. Just giving the new students some options.
I personally do not think pcom prepares you enough. A lot of the exam questions are not.board style. I hear that the first and second years are currently working on fixing that. You all can study any way you want though. It's just my advice having been through it. To each his own

There has been a decent change with regard to boards style questions. A lot of questions we had over the course of M2 were case based questions.

How do you check your post interview status?
I got the deferred letter in January
The online portal seems to only show me that my secondary was recieved.

I understand that a lot of other people are wait listed like I am....at first upset, but still optimistic. But a HUGE favor would be if those who are wait listed, can you tell us once you get either an acceptance or a rejection? that'll be awesome and good luck to all!

I just received my acceptance letter on Friday and I was a delayed decision. Just wanted to give everyone in the same boat some hope! Hang in there!

Can someone tell me if the dean from the place I am doing post-bacc will suffice?

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Can someone tell me if the dean from the place I am doing post-bacc will suffice?

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

(as of last year) Nope has to be the school that you got your BS/BA from. I had to track down an adviser for the department I graduated from and have them write the letter. Even though it's been a few years since I graduated and I, too, had a post-bacc. It just basically has to say that you graduated from there and are in good standing. You'll have other letters (hopefully including one from a DO) to explain why you're a good candidate.

Interviewed yesterday (3/26) and was told that some seats will open up on/around 4/15.

Congrats on the interview. 4/15 is when the next big deposit is due for accepted students so I would imagine that is why spots will be opening up. Good luck!!

I might guess that spots may also open up a bit later. The delayed decision letters that some of us got stated that we would have decisions by April 26th, so once deposits are due there should be some movement.

I interviewed on 3/13 and I still have not received my mail. Does everyone get a mail regardless?

Interviewed 3/14 and adcom said they were 90% full... How many seats do you think are left?

With a class size of 270, that's quite a few seats. I wonder if that includes people that were delayed decision but may have been decided on? I'll know by 4/26, according to my letter.

Has anyone heard anything? I'm afraid of needing to study for the MCAT again... :(

Has anyone heard anything? I'm afraid of needing to study for the MCAT again... :(
Nope...Waiting to hear from them...I remember that my interviewer said that I would get the letter in a month. I don't know what she meant by that in terms of good or bad newz...

When I interviewed on March 14th, they said we would hear in a month. Does that mean by the end of this week or do we have to wait for the April 22nd deadline because we had late interviews?

Honestly sb1003, I am just assuming that we will have to wait....this whole med school application process is nothing but a bunch of waiting....they love to see how patient you are....i am not trying to stress it too much....when it comes down to it, they can choose who they accept whenever they want regardless of what deadlines exist.....just stay stong

I called PCOM admissions today and they said the committee has met and will receive the letter by the end of this month.

I called PCOM admissions today and they said the committee has met and will receive the letter by the end of this month.

So they will be sent out all at the same time?

I just called PCOM and they said that they are in the process of sending out letters. According to the admission office faculty I spoke to, all late interviewers should be receiving a letter (or e-mail according to her??) from now till the end of April.

I just called PCOM and they said that they are in the process of sending out letters. According to the admission office faculty I spoke to, all late interviewers should be receiving a letter (or e-mail according to her??) from now till the end of April.

does that mean those who did not receive interviews won't be receiving one?

I think we can start expecting a email/letter beginning today till the end of April. Keep us updated if anyone of you (esp people who interviewed on March 14th or around) get any correspondence from them..My speculation is that email might be a bad news (rejection) while a letter could be a waitlisted or accepted notification.

I think we can start expecting a email/letter beginning today till the end of April. Keep us updated if anyone of you (esp people who interviewed on March 14th or around) get any correspondence from them..My speculation is that email might be a bad news (rejection) while a letter could be a waitlisted or accepted notification.

They are e-mailing?!!!

When I interviewed at the end of march they said they only send letters out for all decisions because they got feedback saying that people liked letters instead of emails, just FYI

Hey guys. I'm looking for a female roommate for next year. I live at the Duffield apartments, it's pretty close to school and withing walking distance if you choose to walk (it will take you a little while though). It's really nice and safe here. All utilities are included and the rent if you split it by 2 is $750 a month (and 45 for internet). My current roommate is moving out at the end of the lease year and I don't really want to move. There is a pool on the property which is open all summer as well as a small gym that is free to use. The place is a 2B/2BR with a balcony.

If anyone is interested, let me know. You would be getting the bigger room and you have your own bathroom.

Message me on here or e-mail [email protected] if interested or have any questions

So the next deposit due is 4/15 or 4/22?? Can anyone who got accepted clarify this? Both dates do not make much sense to me because they are both Sundays.