Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how we pay the $100 deposit. I want to pay it before they change their minds!! Ha

They will email you a few days later!! :D congrats again!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how we pay the $100 deposit. I want to pay it before they change their minds!! Ha
Don't worry - no chance we are changing our minds! :)

Eventually, you will go back to your HCOM portal where you submitted your secondary application to pay. We have to wait a few days until we can get your OHIO PID from the university before you can deposit. Without the PID, we can't apply your deposit to your tuition in July.

Also, please remember we abide by the AACOM traffic rules which means you have until Dec. 15 to make the first deposit.

Congratulations again!!

Reactions: 2 users
I am so excited that I was accepted at this school. Can't wait...where are some of the good apartments/good price apartments near Grosvernor or even a short drive away.

I am so excited that I was accepted at this school. Can't wait...where are some of the good apartments/good price apartments near Grosvernor or even a short drive away.
I think once we get the link to the Facebook group there will be much more insight as far as living goes

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Just changed my status to Medical Student (Accepted) and it felt so good!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! Congratulations again on your acceptance!

The closest places to the med school in Athens are University Courtyard (http://www.ucourtyardathens.com/), the Summit (http://summitatcoatesrun.com/) and Athens Station Apartments (http://www.athensstationapartments.com/). Athens Station is the absolute closest to the med school. It is directly behind the Academic & Research Center, so you can basically throw a rock from the apartments and hit Irvine Hall. :)

Rent in Athens can be surprisingly high, so almost everyone has a roommate. All the places mentioned above either help you find a med student roommate or they at least make sure you are in close proximity to other med students. One thing to remember when you are looking for housing is to be sure and tell the agent/landlord that you are an incoming medical student. People LOVE to rent to med students.

I think once we get the link to the Facebook group there will be much more insight as far as living goes

Here is the link to the overall class FB group page https://www.facebook.com/groups/HCOM2021/. Each campus will have their own FB group too and that will be the best place to find roommates and learn about housing opportunities. All the FB groups are closed, so you'll need to request to join.

Happy posting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my secondary here. Late to the party but hope they show me love!

Hey, congrats on the acceptance! As far as places, Meep!Meep! pretty much summed up the most popular places. However, rent can be VERY expensive and you will need roommates. The places she mentioned have great amenities, new buildings, pool...(keep in mind that you will be studying a great majority of the time so you might not even use many of their amenities). Where you live really depends on what you are looking for most in a place. Also, if you live at these places (River's Edge, The Summit, etc...) you cannot get a parking pass on campus, although there is shuttle service to and from campus, or you can just walk it.
I was a non-traditional student entering, and was already used to living on my own and in an LTR, so I wanted a single bedroom apartment/no roommates. If you fall into the latter category, I recommend looking into The Plains. It is a very small town ~7 min drive away from campus (zero traffic). I was able to find a NICE, moderately sized, single bedroom apartment for $480 + utilities. All in all, my rent is lower than what my friends are paying even with roommates at The Court Yard/River's Edge etc...
Downside is transportation service (taxis/Uber/Lyft, etc...) really stinks simply because of the size of the city. If you plan on going out after a huge final exam with classmates, be prepared to crash on one of your Athens friend's couches that night
If you have a family, I would definitely look into places like The Plains or even Nelsonville. I know at least one student who was able to get a 3 bedroom apartment in The Plains for about what you would pay for a single bedroom in Athens proper.

Last edited:
is 710 considered a good price in athens if it includes electric

Handwritten congrats letter from the Dean of the Cleveland campus on my acceptance. This school is so amazing!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Handwritten congrats letter from the Dean of the Cleveland campus on my acceptance. This school is so amazing!!!!

If that's not love, I don't know what is!

I seriously got butterflies when I opened up my note! I was inspecting it to see if it was printed or really actually handwritten. So impressed!

I seriously got butterflies when I opened up my note! I was inspecting it to see if it was printed or really actually handwritten. So impressed!
Definitely handwritten! You could see he started to write class of 2020 and turned the last 0 into a 1. It's such a small thing but truly shows how much they care!

Just got invited to interview on Nov 4th! So excited as this is my top choice school and close to home. I was complete Sept 27, 503 MCAT, sGPA 3.6, cGPA 3.77. I hope I'll be meeting many of you soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Seems like it's after the Anatomy immersion class in July. Judging from last year, it'll be at the end of July (last year it was July 23rd).

Do you know when classes and orientation start?

What's up with them hiking up the tuition to 49 grand for years three and four? Kind of misleading and high considering that they are an in state school

What's up with them hiking up the tuition to 49 grand for years three and four? Kind of misleading and high considering that they are an in state school
from what i have seen most schools do that. 1st and 2nd year you are only there 9 months and 3rd and 4th you're there all year round. Every school I've interviewed at definitely significantly raises tuition for 3rd and 4th years tho

from what i have seen most schools do that. 1st and 2nd year you are only there 9 months and 3rd and 4th you're there all year round. Every school I've interviewed at definitely significantly raises tuition for 3rd and 4th years tho

Oh okay thanks that is good to know

Hi guys, got a secondary but I hear this school had a insane in state bias. I would like to go here but I'm oos and don't wanna throw out money if they won't consider me as I already spent so much! Any advice?!

Hi guys, got a secondary but I hear this school had a insane in state bias. I would like to go here but I'm oos and don't wanna throw out money if they won't consider me as I already spent so much! Any advice?!

Do you have anything in your app that's particularly strong? I know a couple of us got in as OOS applicants. They mentioned my research background as something that gave me a big leg up, but I'm assuming its on a case-by-case basis.

Do you have anything in your app that's particularly strong? I know a couple of us got in as OOS applicants. They mentioned my research background as something that gave me a big leg up, but I'm assuming its on a case-by-case basis.
My stats aren't impressive but I have worked on a few different research studies for NYU medical center. Also I have a masters. Would you mind messaging me with your stats by any chance?

My LizzyM is around 65-67. I know it's super cliche but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and if I had listened to SDN and not applied here bc of their instate bias, my application process would be a lot different. If you like the school and think it would be a good fit for you, I would see no reason not to apply. The application fees in the grand scheme of things are pretty much nil.

That being said, it is later in the process, which makes it harder for anyone to get in, but that's not unique to OU-HCOM and it's not impossible by any means.

My LizzyM is around 65-67. I know it's super cliche but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and if I had listened to SDN and not applied here bc of their instate bias, my application process would be a lot different. If you like the school and think it would be a good fit for you, I would see no reason not to apply. The application fees in the grand scheme of things are pretty much nil.

That being said, it is later in the process, which makes it harder for anyone to get in, but that's not unique to OU-HCOM and it's not impossible by any means.
Honestly, there were ALOT of OOS students at my interview. I was interviewing for the DO/PhD program so maybe that had something to do with it but there were at least ten OOS students there so i know they are at least bringing them in. I don't think the in state bias is as strict as people think. When did you interview?

I was there during the DO/PhD day as well and I believe those preview days are when they invite a majority of the OOS students.

Do you know when classes and orientation start?
There is still some finalization that needs to happen, but it appears that orientation will be the week of July 10 with classes starting at the end of the week. Orientation is mandatory and we will get more information about specifics when Student Affairs makes that info available. :)

I'm so excited for/jealous of everyone who's been accepted! :)

OU-HCOM is in my top two preferred schools to attend, and the ONLY reason they're neck-and-neck instead of a clear #1 is because I currently live 15 minutes from another school (which would save me from an hour commute or moving).

Really hoping I can join you all in the 2018 class!

-LD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I believe classes/orientation started July 5th last year

At our interviews they said the monday after July 4th is when we should be starting :)

IS and have been complete since mid-July. I live in Cleveland and have had extensive research as well as shadowing experience at the Cleveland Clinic. OU-HCOM Cleveland campus would be a dream come true. The silence is unsettling :(

IS and have been complete since mid-July. I live in Cleveland and have had extensive research as well as shadowing experience at the Cleveland Clinic. OU-HCOM Cleveland campus would be a dream come true. The silence is unsettling :(
It is still pretty early! What are your stats looking like if you don't mind sharing?

To be fair, my stats aren't mind blowing (3.4GPA, 3.2sGPA, 3.8 gradGPA). But I thought my ECs would help to balance things out a bit.
As long as you did well on your MCAT I'm sure you'll hear soon! It's still early so give it some time. Good luck!

Recently accepted last week, interviewed 10/14, secondary was done late July or early August (don't remember), ohio resident, 508 mcat,approx 3.5 cumulative, approx 3.6 or 3.7 science (from top 25 undergrad- not bragging just trying to give others still waiting an idea)Does anybody know how to get into the Facebook group for the upcoming class?

Recently accepted last week, interviewed 10/14, secondary was done late July or early August (don't remember), ohio resident, 508 mcat,approx 3.5 cumulative, approx 3.6 or 3.7 science (from top 25 undergrad- not bragging just trying to give others still waiting an idea)Does anybody know how to get into the Facebook group for the upcoming class?
Nevermind found link earlier in thread

Has anyone who has been accepted (and paid their deposit) sent in any of their background checks or anything? I know on the website it shows that we have to do this orientation checklist, but that is after we receive our Ohio ID I think? I'd like to get as much out of the way as I can now so I don't have to worry about it later.