Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread addresses all three campus of OUHCOM (Dublin, Athens, and Cleveland).

Good luck to everyone applying!

1. Required personal statement:

Please upload a Word or PDF document describing why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the selection committee should know about you. Please format your essay as single-spaced with a font-size no less than 10 pt or greater than 12 pt. Please clearly identify at the top right corner of the page your name and the title of the essay being submitted (e.g.Required Personal Statement or Dublin Campus Statement)

2. Dublin campus statement:

"Please upload a Word or PDF document detailing essay detailing your interest in studying and training in central Ohio; desire for primary care medicine; and intent to remain in central Ohio for practice. Please format your essay as single- spaced with a font-size no less than 10 pt or greater than 12 pt. Please clearly identify at the top right corner of the page your name and the title of the essay being submitted (e.g. Required Personal Statement or Dublin Campus Statement)"

3. Cleveland campus statement:
"Please upload a Word or PDF document detailing essay detailing your interest in studying and training in northeast Ohio; desire for primary care medicine; and intent to remain in northeast Ohio for practice. Please format your essay as single-spaced with a font-size no less than 10 pt or greater than 12 pt. Please clearly identify at the top right corner of the page your name and the title of the essay being submitted (e.g. Required Personal Statement or Cleveland Campus
Statement)"

Members don't see this ad.

May want to revise the title of the thread to 2016-2017, instead of 2016-2016. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email today that they received my primary application!

Got my secondary invite today after my primary acknowledgement! OUHCOM Dublin is my first choice. I'm at work right now and about to burst with excitement!!!!

I'm guessing everyone else is still patiently waiting for their secondary? I'm counting the seconds over here...

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

No I'm out of state but live in a neighboring state.

If I remember correctly from my campus visit, in state applicants automatically get secondaries and out of state applicants are screened. I may be mistaken, though!

If I remember correctly from my campus visit, in state applicants automatically get secondaries and out of state applicants are screened. I may be mistaken, though!
Gotcha. I can't imagine I would be screened out but since there was only one person on here who got a secondary my guess is that not a lot have been sent out yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. I can't imagine I would be screened out but since there was only one person on here who got a secondary my guess is that not a lot have been sent out yet.

Right! I actually have to double check every couple of hours and log in to the portal to make sure that yes, I did get the secondary, and yes, I did submit it, because no one else has been commenting!

Submitted my secondary! Hoping for an early II

Got my secondary and submitted today. I am OOS.

Got my secondary! Will be finishing it up today. I am oos as well.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take for those of you who are OOS to get a secondary after your AACOMAS was verified? I just got verified within the past couple days. I'm also OOS applying here. a 3.90 and a 506 MCAT won't get me screened out will it? I'm very interested in this school.

OOS student here, just got secondary and plan to submit today. 3.3 c/sGPA, 506 MCAT, 2000+ clinical hours, decent volunteering, good shadowing, DO letter, all that jazz. Chances anyone? I saw that an admissions person in last years thread said their class was 98% instate. This got me pretty nervous.

Is there a length limit for the secondary essay?

Is there a length limit for the secondary essay?
I don't think so. I think they want you to express yourself without limit. At the same time, don't write a book Haha. I kept mine under one page the the main essay.

Thank you! I'll try not to gush too much about how much I love OU.. :)

OOS student here, just got secondary and plan to submit today. 3.3 c/sGPA, 506 MCAT, 2000+ clinical hours, decent volunteering, good shadowing, DO letter, all that jazz. Chances anyone? I saw that an admissions person in last years thread said their class was 98% instate. This got me pretty nervous.
nvm

That contract is kinda crazy, does anyone know how much the annual enrollment driven subsidy liquidated damages is? I'm hesitant to fill out any legal contract without actually knowing the details of the terms...

That contract is kinda crazy, does anyone know how much the annual enrollment driven subsidy liquidated damages is? I'm hesitant to fill out any legal contract without actually knowing the details of the terms...

After seeing this, I am strong reconsidering moving forward with it. I personally don't know if I would want to be forced to work in Ohio. If I read it right though, they allow you to have full control over your residency? I saw somewhere on it they mentioned residencies.

I seem to remember that it was variable according to year of matriculation, though the only figure I've heard referenced is $50k for a buyout option (see 2014-2015 thread).

OU-HCOM has a mission of increasing quality of and access to care within Ohio, ergo the significant in-state bias and the required contract. Matriculation is advised for those who either have strong ties to Ohio or, conversely, weak ties to any other location. If you're doing residency in a different state, you'll have to return to Ohio at some point in order to fulfill the 5-year requirement. You have full control over your residency and time spent at CORE hospitals (residency, specialty) will count towards the 5 years.

With those factors considered, you won't truly know your fit unless you try! The first step to weighing your options is first acquiring them!

Is there a big difference in the three campuses? or is it just location?

well submitted secondary either way

Much of this is due to the out of state contract. I myself was turned off by this and didn't even bother finishing the secondary.

They do have an out of state scholars program for exceptional out of state applicants. They realize that they can't have everyone stay in Ohio and that they need good doctors elsewhere to put the name of the school out there. It couldn't hurt to go through the full admissions process and maybe get selected for this program where you're exempt from the contract. Or if not, you can try to work with them to get out of the contract.

Is there a big difference in the three campuses? or is it just location?

I would love an answer to this too. Idk which campus to give preference, even after looking at all details of all campuses on the OU HCOM site.

I would love an answer to this too. Idk which campus to give preference, even after looking at all details of all campuses on the OU HCOM site.

I know that they prefer applicants who have ties to the area that they give preference to (Central Ohio for Dublin or Northeast Ohio for Cleveland).

Does anyone know how often they update your secondary application such as LORs?

Just wondering if there are people who haven't received a secondary yet. I'm IS and got the received your primary email the first week of July, but I've just gotten silence from them since. I'm also pretty sure I would make it past the screen so I don't know if it's just they haven't got to me yet or what...

Hey ClevelandRocks- try calling the admissions office to make sure they received all your information. Also, check your spam- I remember when I was applying I had a couple of secondaries go into my spam folder.

Just wondering if there are people who haven't received a secondary yet. I'm IS and got the received your primary email the first week of July, but I've just gotten silence from them since. I'm also pretty sure I would make it past the screen so I don't know if it's just they haven't got to me yet or what...

I received a secondary on 7/19 and they received my primary 7/18....but I haven't submitted till now. A little worried about the contract but I have lots of family there so I figured might as well.

Anyone hear about II yet? I'm IS and really want to go to Cleveland campus. MCAT 509 cGPA 3.74 sGPA 3.83. Good EC. Working at the Cleveland Clinic now doing research, even got my Phlebtomoy certification. Complete 7/1 Think I have a shot at an early interview?

Anyone hear about II yet? I'm IS and really want to go to Cleveland campus. MCAT 509 cGPA 3.74 sGPA 3.83. Good EC. Working at the Cleveland Clinic now doing research, even got my Phlebtomoy certification. Complete 7/1 Think I have a shot at an early interview?

Whew. If you haven't heard back yet about an II then I don't feel so bad. Based on the Interview Thread I don't think they've sent out many/any II's yet. The wait is killin me!

Whew. If you haven't heard back yet about an II then I don't feel so bad. Based on the Interview Thread I don't think they've sent out many/any II's yet. The wait is killin me!
I don't think they've started giving out any interview invites yet. Hopefully soon!

Ohio resident, just submitted my secondary a moment ago. 3.82 cGPA 3.73 AACOMAS sGPA 512 MCAT, Lizzy ~ 70.2

Just got the email!!! II for 9/9 :) wooooo

Reactions: 3 users