2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats to everyone getting As! been watching this feed for a while and wanted to introduce myself. i'm currently accepted to another DO school but OU is hands down my first choice so its nice to see that movement has still been happening. good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
The nice thing about the Dublin Campus, is that rotations are local.
Can confirm since I'm about to start rotations next month at the dub campus.

Dublin is local. If you go to Athens, there's a lottery I believe where you kinda get to choose where you go. But there are various places around the state that you can be placed at (Dayton being one of them). And Cleveland is northern Ohio area.

You can give your spot to others (ex we have one student in my cohort at dublin who will be doing rotations in Cleveland/northern Ohio) but at least for Dublin we are guaranteed the Columbus area unless we decide to go somewhere else.

Also, congrats and welcome to the family! Dublin is great and I know you're going to love it here :)

Can confirm since I'm about to start rotations next month at the dub campus.

Dublin is local. If you go to Athens, there's a lottery I believe where you kinda get to choose where you go. But there are various places around the state that you can be placed at (Dayton being one of them). And Cleveland is northern Ohio area.

You can give your spot to others (ex we have one student in my cohort at dublin who will be doing rotations in Cleveland/northern Ohio) but at least for Dublin we are guaranteed the Columbus area unless we decide to go somewhere else.

Also, congrats and welcome to the family! Dublin is great and I know you're going to love it here :)
Do you happen to know if Athens campus students can rotate in Columbus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to know if Athens campus students can rotate in Columbus?
I know you can ask someone in Dublin if they would like to switch but I'm not 100% on how it works at other campuses. I can ask someone here about it.

Otherwise, Dayton/Kettering is only about an hour away. Not exactly ideal but not terrible either I suppose

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a link to the groupme? I know there was one, but I can't find the link.

I can't believe it, but I was taken off the WL today for the Dublin Campus!
I am now scrambling to find housing in a week because I was going to move next week to another state for med school. I am stressed but happy not to have to be moving across the country. I also got into my top choice, DO school and location. It looks like I will be staying in Columbus for the next 4 years!
congratulations bro, so happy for you.

I know you can ask someone in Dublin if they would like to switch but I'm not 100% on how it works at other campuses. I can ask someone here about it.

Otherwise, Dayton/Kettering is only about an hour away. Not exactly ideal but not terrible either I suppose
Update I asked one of the advisors here. He said that the short answer is no. However, if you need a specific rotation (ex surgery) that Athens doesn't have, then you may be able to come here for one of your rotations. As for having the majority of them here, likely not. :( I'm sorry about that.

k3Sbml.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to the Athens campus this afternoon!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
the wait is getting excruciating I can’t focus on anything else
tbh i've been scheduling my barber appt's more frequently so i have something to look forward to besides the call. next cut is tomorrow morning at 7am :coffee:

I have about two weeks since I will commit to my other school. Could really use a call right about now 😭

Update I asked one of the advisors here. He said that the short answer is no. However, if you need a specific rotation (ex surgery) that Athens doesn't have, then you may be able to come here for one of your rotations. As for having the majority of them here, likely not. :( I'm sorry about that.
Unfortunate 😔 my gf works in cbus was hoping I could be closer the last two years of school. Luckily the rotation sites seem to be decently close (1-2 hrs)

Hey everyone! I will be withdrawing my spot at Cleveland campus either today or tomorrow. So, another spot will be opening!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! I will be withdrawing my spot at Cleveland campus either today or tomorrow. So, another spot will be opening!
Good luck wherever you go! Almost wish I could give you Browns tickets for the contribution

• Love
Same, I feel like I should’ve chose Dublin or Cleveland now? I rarely hear anything bout Athens.
I mean, I would say that Athens has more spots to fill so I would think there would be more movement there.

Might be that people just haven't posted here. Wouldn't count yourself out yet.

Does anyone know about finding roommates for Cleveland area like a GroupMe or something? I got accepted recently so before I was planning on going to Athens but now I’m going to Cleveland so I gotta figure that out.

Does anyone know about finding roommates for Cleveland area like a GroupMe or something? I got accepted recently so before I was planning on going to Athens but now I’m going to Cleveland so I gotta figure that out.
there are housing threads in the Class GroupMe, specific to each campus

can anyone speak on how OU looks at the MCAT? i took it twice, did only slightly below their average the first time but went a few points lower the second attempt :/

can anyone speak on how OU looks at the MCAT? i took it twice, did only slightly below their average the first time but went a few points lower the second attempt :/
viewed in the context of all other aspects of your app (volunteer/work experience, grades, etc). ya boy took it three times and the 3rd was the charm (492,495, then 502). That changed the minds of all nearly all the schools I applied to in the 22-23 cycle.

viewed in the context of all other aspects of your app (volunteer/work experience, grades, etc). ya boy took it three times and the 3rd was the charm (492,495, then 502). That changed the minds of all nearly all the schools I applied to in the 22-23 cycle.
How many did you apply to and interviews did you get if you’re willing to share? That shows a lot of determination to take it three times and not give up. I took it twice myself.

• Care
I got accepted off the waitlist for the Athens campus today. Im very grateful but I would love to be able to attend the Dublin campus (closer to home/family) instead. If there’s anybody that got accepted to the Dublin campus would like to switch for the Athens campus, let me know!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
How many did you apply to and interviews did you get if you’re willing to share? That shows a lot of determination to take it three times and not give up. I took it twice myself.
you asked at the perfect time: right after a whiskey neat. gather round the campfire kids. I'll turn spell check on for this one.
'19-'20 cycle: MCAT of 492, scribing in ER, 19 schools, all DO, a truck load of secondaries, jack diddly for interviews, all rejections. Thought to myself "maybe next time."
'20-'21 cycle: MCAT of 495, scribing in orthopedics/pain management/etc., 10 schools, all DO, 4 secondaries since Campbell was still picky, no interviews, all rejections. Thought "this is more of a money pit than my 4runner."
'22-'23 cycle: MCAT of 502, scribing pulmonology/sleep medicine (finally making $20/hr), 13 schools, all DO, 12 secondaries because Campbell's chicken noodle had no possibility of me getting a secondary, 1 interview with OUHCOM, 1 waitlist, 12 rejections. Thought "Yeah the 12 schools probably didn't want a guy with an outstanding sub 2.0 GPA in General Chemistry 2, but why the flying duck did no one, including my undergrad pre-med advisor, post bacc advisors, and 18 schools other than OUHCOM not point this out earlier."

I got accepted off the waitlist for the Athens campus today. Im very grateful but I would love to be able to attend the Dublin campus (closer to home/family) instead. If there’s anybody that got accepted to the Dublin campus would like to switch for the Athens campus, let me know!
mad props. it is wednesday, my dude. :banana:

Last edited:

I’d be surprised, if someone gave up living near Columbus/Dublin over Athens. I hope it works out for you.

you asked at the perfect time: right after a whiskey neat. gather round the campfire kids. I'll turn spell check on for this one.
'19-'20 cycle: MCAT of 492, scribing in ER, 19 schools, all DO, a truck load of secondaries, jack diddly for interviews, all rejections. Thought to myself "maybe next time."
'20-'21 cycle: MCAT of 495, scribing in orthopedics/pain management/etc., 10 schools, all DO, 4 secondaries since Campbell was still picky, no interviews, all rejections. Thought "this is more of a money pit than my 4runner."
'22-'23 cycle: MCAT of 502, scribing pulmonology/sleep medicine (finally making $20/hr), 13 schools, all DO, 12 secondaries because Campbell's chicken noodle had no possibility of me getting a secondary, 1 interview with OUHCOM, 1 waitlist, 12 rejections. Thought "Yeah the 12 schools probably didn't want a guy with an outstanding sub 2.0 GPA in General Chemistry 2, but why the flying duck did no one, including my undergrad pre-med advisor, post bacc advisors, and 18 schools other than OUHCOM not point this out earlier."

So your waitlist turned into an acceptance at OUH-COM? You definitely have put in the effort. I’m with you on the money pit statement. I travelled 10.5 hours for an interview in person only to be told to do a master’s program a few days after my interview. I am thankful to have an acceptance at a school. This process isn’t clear cut at times.

So your waitlist turned into an acceptance at OUH-COM? You definitely have put in the effort. I’m with you on the money pit statement. I travelled 10.5 hours for an interview in person only to be told to do a master’s program a few days after my interview. I am thankful to have an acceptance at a school. This process isn’t clear cut at times.
not quite yet. i’m still waiting for an A

Reactions: 2 users
congrats! mind sharing stats?

if you don't mind sharing, how's your GPA outside of Gen Chem 2? that class was by no means by best grade either lol

The first attempt was just below their average MCAT. My 2nd attempt was well above their school average. My first interviewer seemed impressed🤷‍♂️, but it really wasn't that spectacular of a score compared to top allopathics. I think she was just trying to commend the delta in my score increase.

In a way, you're competing against yourself just as much as your fellow applicants (kind of like marathoners). Once you matriculate, throw any competitiveness out the window. By this, I mean that your goal is to be a good classmate and help out your fellow student. At that point, you are all on the same team. You might think, but wait, what about residency? Yes, that's technically a competition. To be competitive, you must be well-rounded and a team player. Those are things that factor into your LOR's etc for ERAS app. PD's talk to each other, the seasoned ones have seen it all and have a pretty good idea of the type of doctor you will be in their program.

Last edited:
if you don't mind sharing, how's your GPA outside of Gen Chem 2? that class was by no means by best grade either lol
had to bring science up from a 2.5 starting in undergrad semester 5 using all 300/400 level courses and gen-eds. It was rough, and I ended up with about 3.1 overall with a 2.9ish science and 3.4 non science after 9 semesters. After that, 3.6 overall in a post bacc program with a 4.0 in the second semester. I've used those undergrad numbers and post bacc numbers to point to the fact that I was a late bloomer in nearly all my apps.

anything today?
kid #2 is on his way out. wife just went into labor :soexcited:now I can finally stop worrying about when and where and start losing more sleep.
update: 9lbs 2oz, 21.5 in, and 10 min of actual pushing. 10/10 rating from mom herself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
The first attempt was just below their average MCAT. My 2nd attempt was well above their school average. My first interviewer seemed impressed🤷‍♂️, but it really wasn't that spectacular of a score compared to top allopathics. I think she was just trying to commend the delta in my score increase.

In a way, you're competing against yourself just as much as your fellow applicants (kind of like marathoners). Once you matriculate, throw any competitiveness out the window. By this, I mean that your goal is to be a good classmate and help out your fellow student. At that point, you are all on the same team. You might think, but wait, what about residency? Yes, that's technically a competition. To be competitive, you must be well-rounded and a team player. Those are things that factor into your LOR's etc for ERAS app. PD's talk to each other, the seasoned ones have seen it all and have a pretty good idea of the type of doctor you will be in their program.
What does PD stand for? Is that program director?

had to bring science up from a 2.5 starting in undergrad semester 5 using all 300/400 level courses and gen-eds. It was rough, and I ended up with about 3.1 overall with a 2.9ish science and 3.4 non science after 9 semesters. After that, 3.6 overall in a post bacc program with a 4.0 in the second semester. I've used those undergrad numbers and post bacc numbers to point to the fact that I was a late bloomer in nearly all my apps.
that sounds like a pretty good upward trend! hopefully they're holistic and gave you a good spot to get off the WL