2020-2021 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I take silence as a rejection at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

II earlier today! 3.4 gpa 502 mcat IS

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm a current 3rd year student. I've been using a Mac and its never been a problem.
Have they changed anything for preclinical years where that would still be the case? I really want a Mac but Windows doesn’t bother me that much. Or is it just a few programs they use that are Windows only?

Have they changed anything for preclinical years where that would still be the case? I really want a Mac but Windows doesn’t bother me that much. Or is it just a few programs they use that are Windows only?
I do not know of any changes. I also do not think there are any programs that are windows only. I know many students use a Mac.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how applying for financial aid and scholarships work if you're WL?
You can apply for financial aid via fafsa and list OUHCOM as well as others. If accepted, the school will review your fafsa. For institutional scholarship, you'd can apply now, and your app is reviewed pending acceptance.

I was marked complete 10/06 and still haven’t heard back. Anyone else in the same boat? Does anyone know why this might be? I’ve been seeing people who were marked complete after me get II’s.
Last cycle, I was complete in November and received II in March. The second to last interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I take silence as a rejection at this point?
was wondering the same thing. Have sent update letters and even reached out to see if there was any movement. Was told that they will be reviewing my file through april, but was wondering if it was pretty clear if I havent gotten an II by now it's probably not coming...

• Care
was wondering the same thing. Have sent update letters and even reached out to see if there was any movement. Was told that they will be reviewing my file through april, but was wondering if it was pretty clear if I havent gotten an II by now it's probably not coming...
are they sending out II’s through April now? I though it was through March?

Has OU HCOM reached out to any of you about the Summer Scholars program? I applied for this cycle and was never contacted for an interview; however, last month I was contacted by the school to see if I would be interested in the summer program. I found out yesterday that I was accepted, but I am wondering if anyone knows any students that participated in the program previously and had success with it.

Has OU HCOM reached out to any of you about the Summer Scholars program? I applied for this cycle and was never contacted for an interview; however, last month I was contacted by the school to see if I would be interested in the summer program. I found out yesterday that I was accepted, but I am wondering if anyone knows any students that participated in the program previously and had success with it.
I've met students that did that program, but don't know them personally. If you are successful during it, I believe you are guaranteed an interview. The hardest part about this process is just getting your foot in the door. If you like the school and don't have any other acceptances, I would do it. =)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
haven’t seen anything here recently. fwiw their second look is tonight, i imagine they’re either done or very close to it
okay, thanks! i wasn’t sure since their last interview date is April 27th if they were still extending invites.

How did you know they are interviewing until 4/27?
From years past they usually still interview. Even if there’s only a few seats, there will always be people that accept a seat but are waiting for acceptances elsewhere or change their mind. They did say at a welcome thing yesterday that their applicants are up 15.9% this year and they hit an all time record.

Does OU HCOM send direct rejections during the cycle or do they wait to tell you after they finish interviewing?

Does OU HCOM send direct rejections during the cycle or do they wait to tell you after they finish interviewing?
I contacted OU-HCOM and they said they usually send rejections out towards the end of the cycle.

update in regards to waitlist: they typically don’t see movement until mid to late May and if accepted off the waitlist, you’ll get a call

II for a spot on WL today

Reactions: 5 users
Did they say that in your II email?
Yeah they said due to the late date in the admissions cycle, the class is full at this time, and my interview is for a spot on the WL.

Yeah they said due to the late date in the admissions cycle, the class is full at this time, and my interview is for a spot on the WL.
Interesting, I received an II that did not say that.

Last edited:
What’s your interview date? And which campus did you preference? The class being full might depend on the campuses?

What’s your interview date? And which campus did you preference? The class being full might depend on the campuses?
Interview is Tuesday 4/13. Not sure if it's due to campuses but I ranked Dublin, Cleveland, Athens.

Hi, I apologize I am so late to respond!

I attended summer scholars and can't speak any more highly about this program. It is a very vigorous, 8-week program, however gives you a great insight into medical school material and the fast-paced atmosphere. In this program, you take several intro medical school courses such as virology, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, histology, etc. You additionally go through an anatomy lab working hands-on with a cadaver and complete various workshops. Overall, I met some of the most inspiring and motivational individuals through this program and can only speak highly of this program. You live on campus for your time in the program, and they also give you a stipend to help with finances while in the program. At the end, if you have a complete application, you go through the interview process before they review applicants for the following year.

If you have any other questions regarding this, please feel free to private message me. I am more than happy to help and share my experiences!

Politely rejected pre-ii just now.

Primary submitted 9/24
Secondary received 9/25
Secondary submitted 9/28
Complete 11/19
TCC app received 11/30
TCC app submitted 12/9
Pre-ii R 4/21

Well, that's a wrap for me for this cycle. Good luck to everyone on their journeys! :highfive::prof:

Reactions: 7 users

Primary submitted 9/24
Secondary received 9/25
Secondary submitted 9/28
Complete 11/19
TCC app received 11/30
TCC app submitted 12/9
Pre-ii R 4/21

Well, that's a wrap for me for this cycle. Good luck to everyone on their journeys! :highfive::prof:
+1

Can't win them all.

• Care
+1

Can't win them all.

+1

Ghosted with no secondary lol, just as I expected it to pan out.

Edit: In hindsight after submitting AACOMAS I realized I wouldn't have felt comfortable submitting a secondary anyways without another good Science and DO LOR. I'll be ready for next cycle though.

Last edited:
  • Care

Primary submitted 9/24
Secondary received 9/25
Secondary submitted 9/28
Complete 11/19
TCC app received 11/30
TCC app submitted 12/9
Pre-ii R 4/21

Same.

Not a single Ohio school selected me for an interview (nearly all of which are dedicated to keeping residents in the state and practicing). However, I did get into a school on the other side of the country. So at least I got in somewhere. It's just frustrating.

Best of luck to everyone. Never give up. Never surrender.

Edit: pre-ii rejection. I didn't do any TCC stuff.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Same.

Not a single Ohio school selected me for an interview (nearly all of which are dedicated to keeping residents in the state and practicing). However, I did get into a school on the other side of the country. So at least I got in somewhere. It's just frustrating.

Best of luck to everyone. Never give up. Never surrender.

Edit: pre-ii rejection. I didn't do any TCC stuff.
Pre-II R!

• Care
For accepted students.

Is there anything left to do after submitting the deposit?

anyone else have transcripts on AACOMAS but they aren’t checked off on the portal? also oof owie my bank account at that second deposit lol

anyone else have transcripts on AACOMAS but they aren’t checked off on the portal? also oof owie my bank account at that second deposit lol
Mine are checked on the portal. At least the deposit goes towards tuition haha. I would email admissions about it.

I was pulled off of the waitlist and accepted to the Athens campus this afternoon. That means hopefully all of you who are waiting hear back soon :)

Reactions: 9 users
Same here!! I graduated last year too so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Im going to email as well.

I was accepted off the waitlist this morning! So excited to meet all of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone get an email about the pre-matriculation program? Is that mandatory?