Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really like this school however what are the differences between all the campuses (Athens, Dublin, and Cleveland)...like what makes each campus unique from each other other than that 2 of them are new?

Members don't see this ad.

you have to do rotations in Ohio, have to do residency in Ohio, then 5 years of practice...guess where? Did you guess Ohio?

My wife is actually going to be thrilled to hear this, lol. She's my main driver for staying in state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
II! How do you know which campus you are interviewing for?

You're applying for acceptance into OU-HCOM as a whole, and then your rankings are taken into consideration (although there is a heavy local bias, meaning people from Cleveland have first dibs on Cleveland campus).

you have to do rotations in Ohio, have to do residency in Ohio, then 5 years of practice...guess where? Did you guess Ohio?

YOU'RE RIGHT!

Ohio is a great state for DOs, but the limitation is too great for me to take that risk especially with uncertainty of the merger outcomes.

Uh, first off you do 3rd year rotations in Ohio yes, but that's not unique to OU, almost all med schools (the good ones anyway) have use local hospitals for required rotations as its the only way to grade students properly.

Second, residency absolutely does not have to be in Ohio. It says it right there on the contract that the 5 years does not apply to residencies.

Third, yes you must work 5 years in Ohio, but there are other avenues to reduce that time, like working in primary care or placing your residency in the CORE hospitals (where it is reduced to 3 years I believe AND the residency actually counts towards the 5 years.

At the end of the day the choice is yours if its worth it or not, but don't spread bad info on the application forum.

Reactions: 1 users
Uh, first off you do 3rd year rotations in Ohio yes, but that's not unique to OU, almost all med schools (the good ones anyway) have use local hospitals for required rotations as its the only way to grade students properly.

Second, residency absolutely does not have to be in Ohio. It says it right there on the contract that the 5 years does not apply to residencies.

Third, yes you must work 5 years in Ohio, but there are other avenues to reduce that time, like working in primary care or placing your residency in the CORE hospitals (where it is reduced to 3 years I believe AND the residency actually counts towards the 5 years.

At the end of the day the choice is yours if its worth it or not, but don't spread bad info on the application forum.

"Absolutely does not have to be" is a stretch of the wording. Show me a direct quote of exactly what it says if you wanna interpret it as that.

At the end of the day, we've worked many years to get to medical school, the last thing I want is an overly restrictive policy limiting my chances of a future career.

YOU'RE RIGHT!

Ohio is a great state for DOs, but the limitation is too great for me to take that risk especially with uncertainty of the merger outcomes.
Ohio is one of the BEST states for medicine period. You could fare far worse than practicing there. Take your negativity elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Ohio is one of the BEST states for medicine period. You could fare far worse than practicing there. Take your negativity elsewhere.

No negativity here. I applied to the school, I sat down and thought long and hard about it.
Ohio is definitely one of the best states, Ohio Heritage was one of my TOP choices if not top. I just don't want to limit myself to Ohio, who knows if I want to move to the south, or the west, or wherever.

Take YOUR negativity and condescension elsewhere.

No negativity here. I applied to the school, I sat down and thought long and hard about it.
Ohio is definitely one of the best states, Ohio Heritage was one of my TOP choices if not top. I just don't want to limit myself to Ohio, who knows if I want to move to the south, or the west, or wherever.

Take YOUR negativity and condescension elsewhere.
There ya go, that's a much better way to word it!

"Absolutely does not have to be" is a stretch of the wording. Show me a direct quote of exactly what it says if you wanna interpret it as that.

At the end of the day, we've worked many years to get to medical school, the last thing I want is an overly restrictive policy limiting my chances of a future career.

All you have to do is simply look at older threads or email the admissions -- it's all there. You can absolutely leave the state for residency. Again, the choice is a personal one, but I had to bring up misinformation on your post for future applicants, since this is THE application thread. No negativity from me!

Like I said before, the only time residency comes into play with your contract is if YOU decide that you want to "pay" the 5 year commitment during your training. I was interested in the military scholarship and spoke with a few OU alums that went all over the country for their residencies.

https://www.ohio.edu/medicine/admissions/accepted/survival-manual/oos-guidelines.cfm

Last edited:
Is there a five-year stipulation for in state students too? I'll probably stay anyway since most of my family is here but I haven't heard a single word about it.

Is there a five-year stipulation for in state students too? I'll probably stay anyway since most of my family is here but I haven't heard a single word about it.

Nope, its only for Out of State applicants.

I really like this school however what are the differences between all the campuses (Athens, Dublin, and Cleveland)...like what makes each campus unique from each other other than that 2 of them are new?

Members don't see this ad :)

From what we were told, besides research facilities/resources, everything else is the same, just in a different location.

You interview for all at the same time. If you picked a branch site as a top choice then one of your three interviews will be a video conference. They tell you which one you got accepted at in your acceptance letter.
Thank you very much!

Submitted my app 10 days ago and still not complete... Is this normal?

Thinking about submitting an app here but I'm thinking I'm too late..

~3.5 for both GPAs, ~70th percentile MCAT, D1 athlete with decent research and ECs. Also ~2000 hours as an ER tech. OOS. What do you guys think?

Thinking about submitting an app here but I'm thinking I'm too late..

~3.5 for both GPAs, ~70th percentile MCAT, D1 athlete with decent research and ECs. Also ~2000 hours as an ER tech. OOS. What do you guys think?
Are you in state or out of state?

Out of state unfortunately.. But I'm a Cavs fan!! ;)
Hahaha well I would not say it's too late but this school has a pretty heavy in state bias but hey, if you can spare the 50 bucks it's definitely worth a shot! Just mention LeBron's name in your secondary and you should be golden

II! How do you know which campus you are interviewing for?
Students always interview for their first preference campus. All interviews are held in Athens and there is a possibility for candidates to interview via video conference, especially if a first preference campus is Cleveland. While we wish we didn't have to use video conference, it is the only way we can include our Cleveland campus faculty and Cleveland Clinic volunteer faculty in the process. It is a bit easier for faculty to drive down to Athens from Dublin, but there is also a possibility that our Dublin campus faculty and OhioHealth volunteer faculty will need to video conference too.

Because we operate under a one college, three locations philosophy, a student has to be admissible to HCOM in general before the first campus preference can be awarded. Also, because there are fewer spots available in Dublin and Cleveland, it is sometimes necessary to admit a candidate to Athens even though another campus may have been the first preference. If that happens, the candidate is automatically placed on a wait list for their Dublin or Cleveland choices.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: 3 users
I think most of us want to stay in Ohio near our families anyhow, but the restrictions only apply to Out of State students…right?

Is this or one scholarship or for the school in general? They made no note of this during interview day, I don't believe it to be true

Is this or one scholarship or for the school in general? They made no note of this during interview day, I don't believe it to be true
It is for students who are coming from other states. Ohio residents don't have to sign anything since most of us plan on staying anyway.

Are interviews extended on certain days or is it any day?

Hi guys I just wanted input from people who have already received interviews. I have a 505 MCAT, 3.67 overall and 3.55 science. A ton of extracurriculars/research/volunteer. I have reached out to this school numerous times and have sent in updates about my new involvements. I submitted my secondary on October 18th. I am super nervous. I have already have interviews at other places, but this is the one I really want (Dublin branch specifically) I love this school and what is represents. Let me know if you finished around this time and got and interview or have similar scores please!!
I am in the same boat as you with a lower MCAT score. I was complete September 12th. Dublin is my # 1 choice. On the bright side at least there is a quick turn around from interview to decision. Best of luck!

I am in the same boat as you with a lower MCAT score. I was complete September 12th. Dublin is my # 1 choice. On the bright side at least there is a quick turn around from interview to decision. Best of luck!

Thanks you too! This waiting is driving me crazy :)

Hi everyone!! I just received an interview invite today!!!! Complete October 17th. If anyone put Dublin branch as their first preference could you please direct message me or comment on here and I will message you, I would love to get some advice and insight. Thank you and good luck everyone :)

Application was completed on Oct27th. Do I still have a chance for an interview?

Who's interviewing this week? I'm so excited for this school!

I'm excited for ya'll! Good luck! Everyone is so nice I'm sure you'll enjoy the interview day!

Application was completed on Oct27th. Do I still have a chance for an interview?
Yes, they are still actively reviewing applications. I think when I applied and was accepted it was around the same time you had or a little before. However, spaces are filling up and they have already made acceptances now for several months, which means that the spots are becoming more competitive as time progresses.

DocEVOBIO is correct. We have two more interview dates this calendar year (9th &16th) and we plan to have 10-11 between Jan-April. The class will be half-full by the time we start interviewing again in January. It is always our intention to have spots available on all interview days. If we fill the class before April, we may still invite candidates to interview for a place on our alternate (wait) list. If that happens, we will be very clear in our invitation so you can make an informed decision. We typically take students from the waitlist every year, so this is still a positive option.

Interviewed here today, and I just want to give a shoutout to those who put everything together. It was amazing, and I enjoyed my time here. Very friendly faculty and students. Met a lot of awesome interviewees as well. I hope we all get in, so we could join the FB group too!

Reactions: 3 users
After an extremely tough decision I decided to put my deposit down here! OU-HCOM has a curriculum that is established and super friendly faculty and students.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi Everyone! I am super excited to find this board! OU-HCOM is my top choice! I am anxiously awaiting a decision. Congrats to everyone who already got accepted! How were your interviews?

Okay, just to be 100% absolutely totally sure.. it's just the $100 deposit that's due in December, correct? The bigger deposit isn't due until the spring?

Okay, just to be 100% absolutely totally sure.. it's just the $100 deposit that's due in December, correct? The bigger deposit isn't due until the spring?

That's how it was explained to us, yes. I just paid both deposits, but on the web portal you can see the different dates for each deposit.

That's how it was explained to us, yes. I just paid both deposits, but on the web portal you can see the different dates for each deposit.
Mine just had "deposit due date" underneath the area where it said due dates as opposed to actual dates (probably an issue because I used an iPad), but that's what I thought they had said at my interview day. Thank you!

ACCEPTED!! I'm so excited for this great opportunity!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys, what are the due dates for the first and second deposits?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First deposit is due 30 days after your acceptance email. Second is due May 15th.

EDITED: Second deposit deadline

Last edited: