2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Required Essay:
All applicants are required to answer the following question in the form of an essay. There is no specific word count, font or font size required. Please name the file using following format: "last name, first name, required essay".

There are philosophical and tangible differences between osteopathic and allopathic medicine. Describe what being an osteopathic physician means to you, and what qualities make a good osteopathic physician. What have you done to gain knowledge and
experience of osteopathic medicine?

2. Selected Essay: Choose 1 of the 3 to write
All applicants are required to answer one of the following three questions in the form of an essay. There is no specific word count, font or font size required. Make sure to include the question itself at the top of your essay. Please name the file using the following format: "last name, first name, selected essay".

1. Describe the community in which you were nurtured or spent the majority of your early development with respect to its demographics. What core values did you receive and how will these translate into the contributions you hope to make to your community as a medical student and later as a physician?

2. There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacle or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician?

3. Part of OU-HCOM's mission is to embrace diversity and public service and improve the health and wellbeing of underserved populations. Describe what that means to you and how you would contribute to that mission as a student and as a future physician.

Secondary Questions:
  • Campus Statement, Cleveland: Tell us about an experience or experiences that has/have prepared you to enter medicine and how you feel you will impact your community in or around Cleveland, Akron or Northeast Ohio.
  • Campus Statement, Dublin: Tell us about an experience or experiences that has/have prepared you to enter medicine and how you feel you will impact your community in or around Dublin, Columbus, or Central Ohio.

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw someone already got in for fall 2023!? maybe through linkage or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s probably from the last cycle. I spoke to the admission ppl last week at the DO conference and they hadn’t send secondaries yet. I doubt someone got accepted already unless it was someone that deferred.

It seems through OUHCOM Summer Scholar’s program.
Yes this is most likely the case — I’m starting at OUHCOM this fall and got in through summer scholars last summer — I knew july 14, 2021 that I was in for fall 2022

Looks like you have to be URM to get into the Summer scholars program.
Requirements

• Qualify as economically or educationally disadvantaged or as an underrepresented minority

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming M1 (Athens) just here to let you know that you should get your secondary in ASAP for HCOM! Prepare responses to 2022's prompts as well as a response for why DO.

Prompts from previous cycle

Required Essay - 500 words max

Please name the file using the format: "last name, first name, required essay"

Describe a situation where you chose to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? How do you see it linked to your role as a physician/leader? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate?

Pick One Additional Essay - 250 words max

All applicants are required to answer one of the following three questions in the form of a short essay, 250 words maximum. Make sure to include the question itself at the top of your essay; this will not count toward the 250 words. Please name the file using the following format: "last name, first name, selected essay".

1. Describe the community in which you were nurtured or spent the majority of your early development with respect to its demographics. What core values did you receive and how will these translate into the contributions you hope to make to your community as a medical student and later as a physician?

2. There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacle or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician?

3. Part of OU-HCOM's mission is to embrace diversity and public service and improve the health and wellbeing of underserved populations. Describe what that means to you and how you would contribute to that mission as a student and as a future physician.

Campus Preference Essay

Rank your preferred campus 1>2>3

Tell us about an experience or experiences that has/have prepared you to enter medicine and how you feel you will impact your community in or around Central Ohio/NE Ohio/SE Ohio.

Nope, nothing yet. Odd since they sent them out starting 6/24 last year.
There have been some technical difficulties which are delaying the secondaries being sent. Hopefully by the end of the week!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a secondary IS.
They will send me another email shortly so I can log in.

"If this is your first time applying to OU-HCOM via our application portal, you will receive a second email with a temporary password to log-in to the application portal. Please do not create a new user profile, you should be able to log-in directly using your email address and the temporary password you were sent. If you did not receive the e-mail with a temporary password, or are having issues logging, in please contact our office. To start your application, click the "Profile" tab at the top of the page."

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a secondary IS.

"If this is your first time applying to OU-HCOM via our application portal, you will receive a second email with a temporary password to log-in to the application portal. Please do not create a new user profile, you should be able to log-in directly using your email address and the temporary password you were sent. If you did not receive the e-mail with a temporary password, or are having issues logging, in please contact our office. To start your application, click the "Profile" tab at the top of the page."
+1!

Just got a secondary IS.

+2 :)

Just got a secondary IS.

+3

Just got a secondary IS.

+4

Did anyone oos get secondaries?
I just got the follow up email. Looks like we have to wait.

"Thank you for applying to the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine! You have likely recently received an invitation to complete our secondary application. Unfortunately, it seems there has been an issue with generating the temporary passwords required to login. We are actively working on the issue and will let you know as soon as possible when it has been resolved.

Also just a tip! they sent my secondary to my personal email that I used to apply for their summer program not the one on my AACOMAS application! If you applied to any of their programs before check the email you used to make that account!!

So happy for the secondary 😩 they are my top school and if I get in then I don’t have to move!

• Care
I wish they had released the prompts with the emails they sent in case they changed them this year.

Hey y’all I was able to log in yesterday with my previous account and here are the prompts!

All applicants are required to answer the following question in the form of an essay. There is no specific word count, font or font size required. Please name the file using following format: "last name, first name, required essay".

There are philosophical and tangible differences between osteopathic and allopathic medicine. Describe what being an osteopathic physician means to you, and what qualities make a good osteopathic physician. What have you done to gain knowledge and

All applicants are required to answer one of the following three questions in the form of an essay. There is no specific word count, font or font size required. Make sure to include the question itself at the top of your essay. Please name the file using the following format: "last name, first name, selected essay".

Reactions: 5 users
They changed one of the essays from last year. I got the email in the morning with the login credentials.

edit they also changed the campus location prompts from Cleveland and Dublin as well.

• Campus Statement, Cleveland: Tell us about an experience or experiences that has/have prepared you to enter medicine and how you feel you will impact your community in or around Cleveland, Akron or Northeast Ohio.
  • Campus Statement, Dublin: Tell us about an experience or experiences that has/have prepared you to enter medicine and how you feel you will impact your community in or around Dublin, Columbus, or Central Ohio.

Last edited:
Hey y’all I was able to log in yesterday with my previous account and here are the prompts!

@PapaGuava

Just submitted my secondary.
I would have done it sooner since I had prewritten the secondaries, but unfortunately they changed some of them.
This is my top choice so I am excited to hear back from them.
good luck to you all!

• Care
Secondary received and submitted. Bummer it was a different essay, had to make some changes.

Congrats to everyone who received a secondary here! Hopefully an II will follow - what's great about HCOM is that they'll give you a decision on the day of or the day after your interview. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Do they send secondaries to everyone or they screen?

Which campus in the most competitive? Least? What happens if we only rank Athens? Do we not get considered for the other 2?

Which campus in the most competitive? Least? What happens if we only rank Athens? Do we not get considered for the other 2?
I believe that Dublin and Cleveland are the most competitive since there are less seats available.
Unless you have a connection to those cities, if accepted you will probably end up in Athens. Especially if you are OOS
First they accept you and then they look at your campus choice. I personally have Athens as my last choice because your 3rd and 4th year you are sent out throughout the whole state for rotations. For Cleveland, they have a connection to the Cleveland clinic.
For Dublin, they have a connection to Ohio Health.

How long did it take after submitting primary to get a secondary? Verified yesterday