Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who has been accepted (and paid their deposit) sent in any of their background checks or anything? I know on the website it shows that we have to do this orientation checklist, but that is after we receive our Ohio ID I think? I'd like to get as much out of the way as I can now so I don't have to worry about it later.
Honestly haven't done anything quite yet

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who has been accepted (and paid their deposit) sent in any of their background checks or anything? I know on the website it shows that we have to do this orientation checklist, but that is after we receive our Ohio ID I think? I'd like to get as much out of the way as I can now so I don't have to worry about it later.

For some reason I thought we got our ID's around March.

Hey future members of OUHCOM,
Meep!!Meep!! will be better at answering this, but...
Right now, the only things that can be accomplished are sending in the deposits (according to the information given to you in the acceptance letter, depending on when you interviewed you may have a different due date), and sending your FINAL transcripts (for every school attended). Your transcript must show that your degree was CONFERRED and all course requirements were met. For a large majority of applicants this will have to wait anywhere from 2-3 weeks after your college/university graduation.
While there is a variety of things that you will need to do, a lot of what is on the checklist cannot be done until past a certain date. Meep!!Meep!! and the Office of Admissions will send you an email later detailing your BlackBoard information and formal ID#'s (this is not the same as ID Badges -you will not get those until Orientation Week). After that you will be able to log onto Blackboard, and it will have very detailed instructions on what needs to be accomplished and by when. DO NOT do the background check yet and do not do vaccines yet - because you will just have to do them again. The background check and certain immunizations/vaccines/titers can only be done in the Spring (but you will get more information on this).
For right now, just relax and bask in your success, knowing that you are choosing the most amazing institution to pursue your medical education!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey future members of OUHCOM,
Meep!!Meep!! will be better at answering this, but...
Right now, the only things that can be accomplished are sending in the deposits (according to the information given to you in the acceptance letter, depending on when you interviewed you may have a different due date), and sending your FINAL transcripts (for every school attended). Your transcript must show that your degree was CONFERRED and all course requirements were met. For a large majority of applicants this will have to wait anywhere from 2-3 weeks after your college/university graduation.
While there is a variety of things that you will need to do, a lot of what is on the checklist cannot be done until past a certain date. Meep!!Meep!! and the Office of Admissions will send you an email later detailing your BlackBoard information and formal ID#'s (this is not the same as ID Badges -you will not get those until Orientation Week). After that you will be able to log onto Blackboard, and it will have very detailed instructions on what needs to be accomplished and by when. DO NOT do the background check yet and do not do vaccines yet - because you will just have to do them again. The background check and certain immunizations/vaccines/titers can only be done in the Spring (but you will get more information on this).
For right now, just relax and bask in your success, knowing that you are choosing the most amazing institution to pursue your medical education!

Awesome thank you so much for the information!

Reactions: 1 user
After my neomed interview, I 100% like OUHCOM better. I will be going to Cleveland's campus officially Any people that are for sure attending Cleveland message me so we can friend each on fb and such!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a little confused about locations. I am filling out the secondary right now, and I'm just wondering how to choose preferences. How do admissions work for all three locations? Are the admissions more selective at certain locations? Please let me know soon!

I'm a little confused about locations. I am filling out the secondary right now, and I'm just wondering how to choose preferences. How do admissions work for all three locations? Are the admissions more selective at certain locations? Please let me know soon!

Short answer is yes, they are more selective at Dublin and Cleveland based on your location.

Do you have ties to a specific location? For example, I was born and currently living in the Cleveland area so I naturally ranked Cleveland as number 1. I have heard that if HCOM likes students who do not have ties to a particular location, they will likely be accepted to Athens. That does not mean that you couldn't put Cleveland or Dublin as your top rank, it just means that if you don't have legit ties to those campuses you may be waitlisted at Dublin or Cleveland, but accepted to Athens.

Short answer is yes, they are more selective at Dublin and Cleveland based on your location.
Do you have ties to a specific location? For example, I was born and currently living in the Cleveland area so I naturally ranked Cleveland as number 1. I have heard that if HCOM likes students who do not have ties to a particular location, they will likely be accepted to Athens. That does not mean that you couldn't put Cleveland or Dublin as your top rank, it just means that if you don't have legit ties to those campuses you may be waitlisted at Dublin or Cleveland, but accepted to Athens.

Thank you for your responses! Actually, based off of the focuses of the locations, Athens was the one that appealed to me the most anyways, and i'm not from Ohio, so that's good!

Does anyone know what class attendance rules are like at Cleveland campus? Just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what class attendance rules are like at Cleveland campus? Just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm pretty sure lectures aren't mandatory, and they're all recorded! The 6-week anatomy classes & OMM labs do require attendance.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm pretty sure lectures aren't mandatory, and they're all recorded! The 6-week anatomy classes & OMM labs do require attendance.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
There are certain lectures that are required but you know in advanced if you have to go or not. They are color coded like purple and black to tell you if they are required

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have been recently accepted, make sure you join the Facebook group!

Sitting in the silent.

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder how many IIs have gone out already

I can't speak to that but it has seem to have been very quiet on here. Granted, not everyone is on SDN. I know the number of people in the Facebook group of accepted students is not even close to the total number that the school matriculates. Long story short, there is still a ton of hope! Keep your head up, I'm sure you'll get good news soon!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else applying to the Athens campus so they don't have to write the second essay?

Anyone else applying to the Athens campus so they don't have to write the second essay?
No, there is only one secondary application essay for those applying to the Athens Campus. Those who will want to apply to the Cleveland and Dublin campuses have the additional essay requirements.

I wonder how many IIs have gone out already
That specific information is kept under wraps. However, based on the application and interview process, and past statistics we can arrive likely close to the mark. OUHCOM only conducts Friday interviews, at those interviews they typically cap the number at 20 students. The interviews for OUHCOM typically start mid-September. Now past admissions statistics show that they send out ~450 II's per application cycle. This might even be increased this year because the newer campuses of Dublin and Cleveland might have a small increase in the students accepted to those campuses (I cannot officially speak to that, but it does seem likely).
Based on all this information we can put together a conservative estimate. There have been potentially 8 interview days since interviews began, each with ~20 students (~160 students total). Out of 160 students, it is likely that ~10-15 will not accept the invite. But for a conservative estimate lets have the number of interviews at 160 students thus far. If that is that case, with a total of ~450 interviews sent out in a year, it seems a pretty fair bet that OUHCOM admissions is either halfway or less in the interview process timeline.
For those who have not received an II, don't give up hope! There is still a lot of time left. Hope this helps! All the best in your applications!
(on a side note: I thought HRC was going to win on Tuesday...clearly my estimation/predicting power could be better...so take the above estimate with a grain of salto_O)

Accepted! They are so fast at getting back to you on their decision which is amazing! You interview on a Friday and will hear back either the night of or by Monday! Good luck everyone!

Do I stand a chance here? I'm about to apply.
3.4-3.6 gpa with 518-522 MCAT, OOS ORM

Do I stand a chance here? I'm about to apply.
3.4-3.6 gpa with 518-522 MCAT, OOS ORM
You've definitely got a shot if you're instate but they're gonna know you're applying DO as a back-up plan because of the timing of your aoo but hey it's definitely worth a shot!

Better than no acceptance for me
And I heard there was some out of state scholars thing

Yes but it's both something you apply for. They just decide after accepting you to waive your commitment, it's not something that I would assume you will get.

As an OOS student, do you think it's worth the 5 year commitment? Personally I don't see it as that big a problem considering it's still the US, not a different country lol. I was blown away by their descriptions of their research facilities and their partnership with the Cleveland clinic. I really feel like these guys are on a different level compared to other DO schools.

As an OOS student, do you think it's worth the 5 year commitment? Personally I don't see it as that big a problem considering it's still the US, not a different country lol. I was blown away by their descriptions of their research facilities and their partnership with the Cleveland clinic. I really feel like these guys are on a different level compared to other DO schools.
Definitely feel the same way about the school. Honestly, the five year commitment isn't a big deal to me because I'll be practicing in one of the best, if not the best, states for medicine. If you had to spend five years practicing in a random state, Ohio is definitely not a bad one to land in

They are. It's an amazing school. I have an MD interview too but I think I might still choose this school because I like the program SO much better! It's definitely the perfect fit for me. I read someone else's post that they chose this over a US MD program too and if people are doing that it really says a lot about the school!

I've never been happier to make a payment. I just submitted my deposit and did a little dance!

Thanks! No, mine was about a month ago. Did you just interview? They'll tell you by Monday
Oh man yeah just interviewed and really liked the program / it grew on me throughout the day

For some reason I was here thinking that if they let you in they'll give you the happy news congrats call Friday once they deicide, but if it's waitlist or bad news they wait til Monday.

So nice that they get back to you so promptly

Oh man yeah just interviewed and really liked the program / it grew on me throughout the day

For some reason I was here thinking that if they let you in they'll give you the happy news congrats call Friday once they deicide, but if it's waitlist or bad news they wait til Monday.

I was accepted and didn't get the day of phone call. So don't worry if they didn't call you on Friday!

Yeah, don't worry! I had my acceptance email by 11am Monday morning. They mostly call students they already knew throughout undergrad. Good luck!

Have interviews at PCOM, KCU, KCOM, and AZCOM but haven't heard back from OU yet. Hoping that my IS school shows me some love soon!

II just now! Secondary submitted last week of July. 3.6 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA, 507.

Reactions: 4 users
II!!!

Last edited:
II! How do you know which campus you are interviewing for?

II! How do you know which campus you are interviewing for?

You interview for all at the same time. If you picked a branch site as a top choice then one of your three interviews will be a video conference. They tell you which one you got accepted at in your acceptance letter.

Withdrew my application due to training/residency restrictions and further 5 year commitment.

Withdrew my application due to training/residency restrictions and further 5 year commitment.
What kind of restrictions? I've heard about location restrictions, which are not a big deal for me since I live nearby anyway (in fact I would prefer to live closer to the Dublin campus ultimately). I'm currently leaning towards family practice but really find surgery interesting and would like to keep my options open. Are you implying an obligation to certain fields from the gate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SDN mobile

What kind of restrictions? I've heard about location restrictions, which are not a big deal for me since I live nearby anyway (in fact I would prefer to live closer to the Dublin campus ultimately). I'm currently leaning towards family practice but really find surgery interesting and would like to keep my options open. Are you implying an obligation to certain fields from the gate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SDN mobile

you have to do rotations in Ohio, have to do residency in Ohio, then 5 years of practice...guess where? Did you guess Ohio?

YOU'RE RIGHT!

Ohio is a great state for DOs, but the limitation is too great for me to take that risk especially with uncertainty of the merger outcomes.