OFFICIAL STEP I Results thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured in honor of those who have gotten their scores back it would be interesting to create a single thread which could be used in the future.

Please post how you did on Q-bank (please differentiate between how your last 8-10 blocks went) and/or your final average.

How you did on NBME

Finally, your board score

Also if you want to add your study hints do that too.

Members don't see this ad.

Homunculus said:
if you need a place to stay while you're rotating at hopkins, let me know. i've got a few connections out here . . well, that and i live 15 or so miles outside baltimore, lol.

Hi looks like I'm doing a summer prog there next summer for about 6 weeks, they say housing is available for $350/mth at Reed Hall, sounds good but wanted to know how much apts are costing for subleasing

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT: 33 (12BS, 11PS, 10V)
Med School Rank: top 1/3
Q-Bank: 68% no repeats
NBME released items: 80% 2 days prior
USMLE: 235/95 (mean 217, std dev 23)

the only resources I used were first aid, qbank, and minimal board simulator series. studied for 5 weeks, 6 hours/day, one day off per week.

Thought I'd chime in with my results. Although not as stellar as many on this forum, I'm pretty satisfied. Thanks to everyone for the insight!

School: St. George's University, Grenada
MCAT: 22 (that's not a misprint!)
Basic Sciences GPA: 3.25
Q-bank: 64%, but the last week was scoring around 73% consistently
NBME Test A: 440
USMLE: 208/85

VERY strong NBME/USMLE correlation.

Dukes said:
I decided I'd share my results for all those worried about having low MCATs.
I know that was a big concern for me. Infact I have never done well on standardized tests so for this one I didn't have a whole lot of confidence.
Here's my stuff

MCAT # 1: 20
MCAT # 2: 24 = Carib med school

Qbank 72 all random with 92% completed
NBME practice: 570 (1 week prior)

USMLE: 246.

By the way thanks to all those who contribute so much on this forum, I got a lot of good tips.

NICE JOB, fellow classmate!! :D :D

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Thought I'd chime in with my results. Although not as stellar as many on this forum, I'm pretty satisfied. Thanks to everyone for the insight!

Congrats Brian!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

d-day is approaching fast for me :scared:
I swear I've spent more time freaking out about this test than studying for it :scared: . Oh well.......

daisygirl said:
Congrats Brian!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

d-day is approaching fast for me :scared:
I swear I've spent more time freaking out about this test than studying for it :scared: . Oh well.......

Thanks so much! I'm sure you're going to do well. Just try to relax (if possible!) while taking it. Let us know how you do!! :luck:

Brian Pavlovitz said:

Solid Work Brian!! Congrats on now being officially able to relax until clinicals start.

oog. Clinicals.

I'm just hoping I don't forget everything I thought I learned over the past 2 years!!!!

lotanna said:
Hi looks like I'm doing a summer prog there next summer for about 6 weeks, they say housing is available for $350/mth at Reed Hall, sounds good but wanted to know how much apts are costing for subleasing

I've seen places from around the same price to around $500...
as a former resident of reed hall, its definitely convenient to be close to the hospital... but it also costs $100/month to park, and the rooms are not exatly nice. I'd get a place off campus - there will be a lot of people out of town for summer - just give me an e-mail and I can forward it on to the school list-serve.

Jessica said:
I've seen places from around the same price to around $500...
as a former resident of reed hall, its definitely convenient to be close to the hospital... but it also costs $100/month to park, and the rooms are not exatly nice. I'd get a place off campus - there will be a lot of people out of town for summer - just give me an e-mail and I can forward it on to the school list-serve.

Thanks, I just realized that my cousin has more thanenough rms in his house, and he's my cool older cousin, and only lives with his wife, so b4 i even asked he offered me a spot there, so I'm set :)
I was just at ur main hospital and bayview yesterday, lots of friends in the area. I'll be doing my program at bayview though so parking is probably way better!

USMLE: 238 / 96
MCAT: 11V, 11B, 13P, T
QBank: ~70% (pirated)
Released Items: 83%
Class Rank: 50th percentile

How I studied:

8 week schedule with many breaks
First Aid, Underground Clinical Vignettes, QBank, 35 pager EBook

Anatomy: HY Gross, HY Embryo, HY Neuroanat, Netter's for reference
Biochemistry: Kaplan Subject Notes, 25 pager review supplied by students at South Alabama
Behavioral: BRS Behavioral (overkill)
Microbiology: Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple, HY Immunology (waste of time, get a more indepth book), Step-Up Bug List for cramming
Pathology: BRS Pathology, Goljan's pirated 30 pager
Physiology: BRS Physiology
Pharmacology: Kaplan Subject Notes, Road Map for Pharm, Step-Up Drug List for cramming

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:
Dont tease me. It would be a dream come true to even rotate with Dr. Carson.
If you ever come to Hopkins for rotations, interviews, residency, etc. lemme know...
I've never met Dr. Carson personally, but I clearly remember the day when I saw him walking in front of that broadway entrance to the hospital. lol! It was right after that Iranian twin thing when he was all over the news. :) WOW! I recognized him from a mile away! :laugh:

I'll add my score to the list to make more people feel better about their own score. I go to Univ. of Washington.

USMLE: 210/I forgot and I'm not exactly sure what it means anyhow
Q-Bank (did 75% of it): 59%
MCAT: 11/11/11
Undergrad GPA: 3.49

I studied for a month, but not incredibly intensely. Basically just QBank and First Aid. If I had studied more I'm sure I would have done better, but we all make trade-offs.

I'm not thrilled about the score of course, but I was thrilled to pass and get a few extra points above passing. Now I'm ready to concentrate on doing well on my rotations. I'm going to do primary care so I'm not incredibly worried.

azzarah said:
If you ever come to Hopkins for rotations, interviews, residency, etc. lemme know...
I've never met Dr. Carson personally, but I clearly remember the day when I saw him walking in front of that broadway entrance to the hospital. lol! It was right after that Iranian twin thing when he was all over the news. :) WOW! I recognized him from a mile away! :laugh:

I couldnt shadow Dr Carson, I'd probably faint :laugh:

I'm posting here because for some reason, reading these posts really made me feel better while going throught this whole process. I feel like I owe someone something, so I figured I'd finally contribute. I would have to say that the absolute toughest thing about this whole experience is nerves.

I took the Kaplan intense prep course, got QBank, and spent a lot of time with BRS Path, First Aid (of course), and some of BRS Physio (though Kalpan covered it pretty well). I spent about a day and a half on anatomy (using some Kaplan online lectures and First Aid), though a day would have probably been enough and half a day on embryo using just First Aid (which is plenty). Kaplan course lasted about 3 weeks, and I spent another couple weeks memorizing. Kaplan was great to keep me on track and give me some confidence, though I question if I would have been better off using the time memorizing; though 6, or even 5 weeks of sitting alone memorizing just ain't my style.

After the exam I felt there was about a 50% chance that I failed. I just kept coming up with more and more questions that I felt were gimmees, but that I knew I got wrong. Needless to say, the worst part is the waiting. My dean gave me my score and all I wanted to know was if I passed or not. I was stuttering like a fool, though I've never had that problem, and I then made him confirm my score two times by sticking my nametag in his face and asking "ARE YOU SURE???" Hey, I'm a med student, I didn't get this far without being a little anal retentive.

Speaking of which, here are my numbers so that you can analyze the snot out of them. It won't do any good. True correlations are truly hard to come buy, and I must say that MCAT is the worst. PM me with any questions, but my best advice is to just relax, and more than anything, DON'T LET QBANK GET TO YOU!!!. I hated when people told me that, but it's true. Good luck.

MCAT: 12V, 11P, 10B
QBank: 59% cumulative all random starting 6 weeks before the exam, little known secret is that it may seem to get easier and you may start to do better at the end due to repeat questions, more pathology and less embryo, biochem, etc. I finished about 70%.
NBME Released Items (the free ones): 73% a week before exam
USMLE: 223/90

Congrats!

Thanks to everyone for posting your experiences... I've appreciated everyone sharing their scores, study methods, and advice.

T-minus one week till my big day - FRIDAY the 13th (I figure this way, if I bomb I can blame it all on the notorious day of un-luckiness, right? :D )

and in true "Jessica" fashion I am procrastinating here on SDN... what AM I thinkking? back to the books..

MCAT: 8, 8, 7
Qbank: 67% random 50 or 25 q's---near the end scored a few 72's or 75's..not many though
NBME 150Q freeby: 67%--One month prior to exam
NBME 200Q self assessment: 420--one week prior to exam
USMLE: 199

And, yo, I worked hard for these scores, I'm no slacker (started weekends Jan-May; 6-8 hr days May, 15 hr days June, finishing it off with final First aid run through and Step UP 10 days prior to exam date in July--June July, made it through Webprep twice (along with listening to its soothing sounds in my sleep)...Car blasted the rockin voices of Gold Standard tapes....I'm just not as talented as Idiopathic, BigFrank and Jalby!!! Good job to everyone!! I always say you get the score you were meant to get!!

I agree...I almost think they plan it that way, since they know who takes them and who doesnt :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just a way to get $90 extra dollars out of you. Whatever you get on those is near what you will get on the real thing.

The high isn't 260. Many on here are >260. 260 doesn't even seem to be that prestigious any more. :(

I think jkin is referring to the recent "oopsie" by the NBME (the 223/21 to 217/23 change). On the 223/21 reports, it said most people scored 144 to 288, on the corrected one it says 140 to 260. The key word there is "most" - likely it means 95% of test takers, leaving out the top and bottom 2.5%, which would leave room for a good number of > 260-ers.

203 (83) baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not bad for a future psychiatrist, huh?!?!?!?!

My "stats":

Kapan Cumulative: 64% (hitting 66%-74% week before exam)
NBME Self-Assessment: 440 (5 days before)

In all honesty, I should've done a little better. I didn't sleep a single wink the night before the test and I felt it. There were 5 EASY questions I never would've missed under normal circumstances that I botched, but oh well, that's life I guess.

Since I am the OP here are my stats... Let me first say that i want to thank those who already posted. Let me also say that the NBME is so uncanny with its accuracy it makes me sick. I will also say that I was/am disappointed with my score but it will not close any doors that I might still want to pursue! Here goes!!! Also let me post my best performance of this yr..

1. Hit the game winning shot in the RFUHS IM basketball championship game with under 1 second left!!!

Chemistry major UPenn '99 worked for a few years in the business world and struggled to get into med school. (I guess they wanted me to do more research)

3.3 Undergrad GPA
MCAT V: 10 P: 11 B: 11 something really good in the writing part
SAT: 1290
Class Rank: probably average, im not a grade grabber, also let me say that my personality and work ethic are paying off right now doing Medicine at Cook County. They love me!!
Qbank: scoring 72-78% neat the end. Cumulative of 68% finished about 60% of Qbank, all random blocks.
NBME 1: 480
NBME 2: 500

USMLE: 217

Frankly, my buddies did really well and I am at least vilified in my attempts to be a doctor. I struggled to get in and now the road is much clearer to becoming a doctor.

Congrats to all who passed and best of luck to those who have to retake it.

bigfrank said:
The high isn't 260. Many on here are >260. 260 doesn't even seem to be that prestigious any more. :(

I hope you dont think top 2.5% of test takers is not prestigious. Perspective bigfrank, perspective ;)

EctopicFetus said:
Since I am the OP here are my stats... Let me first say that i want to thank those who already posted. Let me also say that the NBME is so uncanny with its accuracy it makes me sick. I will also say that I was/am disappointed with my score but it will not close any doors that I might still want to pursue! Here goes!!! Also let me post my best performance of this yr..

1. Hit the game winning shot in the RFUHS IM basketball championship game with under 1 second left!!!

Chemistry major UPenn '99 worked for a few years in the business world and struggled to get into med school. (I guess they wanted me to do more research)

3.3 Undergrad GPA
MCAT V: 10 P: 11 B: 11 something really good in the writing part
SAT: 1290
Class Rank: probably average, im not a grade grabber, also let me say that my personality and work ethic are paying off right now doing Medicine at Cook County. They love me!!
Qbank: scoring 72-78% neat the end. Cumulative of 68% finished about 60% of Qbank, all random blocks.
NBME 1: 480
NBME 2: 500

USMLE: 217

Frankly, my buddies did really well and I am at least vilified in my attempts to be a doctor. I struggled to get in and now the road is much clearer to becoming a doctor.

Congrats to all who passed and best of luck to those who have to retake it.

Congratulations to our favorite fetus :D

I just don't get how it goes from 288 to 260.

Also, I don't think that saying "Many on here are >260. 260 doesn't even seem to be that prestigious any more." is even close to the truth. First, I would take the scores reported on here for what they are = scores that people want to report. Second, the average was 217/23, so a 260 is a great score. This forum has become a little jaded.

All the number implies is what it says on the report: "most scores fall between 144 and 260" which is entirely true, as only about 5% of scores fall outside that region. 260 is not an absolute cutoff, but 288 may be.

Stinger thanks for the congrats, and to jpaikman, you are right... vindicated is what i meant!! I am proud to be the favorite Fetus on SDN!

Kaplan Qbank: ~70% (I did about 80% of the questions)
Free NBME 150 q: 82%
USMLE Step 1: 246/99

I used first aid as the primary resource and looked some other stuff up when it was not clear--eg. in BRS series.

Also a lot of people talk about 1 month being enough for studying. While that may be true about some people, I am not as intelligent; so it took me longer--somewhere around 6 weeks to 2 months.

This is all very surreal.

MCAT: 8, 6, 7 didnt study for it much
Qbank: 95%
NBME 150Q -- 90%
USMLE: 285
Class Rank at D.O. school ---- 1/250
I cant believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I did well but this!!!!!!! I can't believe I have the highest score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really studied just like everyone else. Congrats to all others for their great scores. I am thinking about doing family practice.

Resident Alien said:
I hope you dont think top 2.5% of test takers is not prestigious. Perspective bigfrank, perspective ;)
Note sarcasm in my quote, RA. Perspective RA, perspective ;)

birdman16 said:
This is all very surreal.

MCAT: 8, 6, 7 didnt study for it much
Qbank: 95%
NBME 150Q -- 90%
USMLE: 285
Class Rank at D.O. school ---- 1/250
I cant believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I did well but this!!!!!!! I can't believe I have the highest score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really studied just like everyone else. Congrats to all others for their great scores. I am thinking about doing family practice.

wow! unreal..

marchiafava said:
Jealousy is the root of all evil. Be careful, you look GREEN. LOL

LMAO, sarcasm i hope...Now why on earth will I be jealous??? I didnt even take the exam, and wont for another 2yrs!!! :rolleyes: Infact I'm happy to se eothers do well, and check out their tips and resources! :idea:

2yrs?? And you are commenting on this topic. Please!! Why don't you do a little more detective work, Sherlock. Hahaha

Congrats on the 285!

Although I am rarely caught being gullible, I try to assume people are telling the truth on anonymous forums. I would like others to read my posts in the same manner.
If Senor 285 is a troll, too bad for him- the only person who is truly affected is one and the same.

And if indeed, 285 is true. Absolutely remarkable! More so, because, he had to take the time to learn OMM, something allos don't have to deal with and from what I here, many DOs have to overcome molecular bio and biochem practically on their own when studying for the MLE.

lotanna said:
Hmm did a search on his 4 total posts, seems like a troll!!!! :D

Perhaps, though I'm the ONLY one on here to actually prove my score! ;)

Either way, this guy's a good marketer.

hey if he got that then great!! I thought screenname was familiar and did a search
@marchia, whatever man, hope u end up having a better week, cause I cant help u on that tip, its really not that deep!

I checked birdman's previous posts. Excactly one year ago, he was selling Step 1 material to the highest bidder. Doesn't sound like a "285" kind of person to me, but I could be wrong. Congrats, if I am. thats the highest score I've ever seen ....real or unreal!! :D