OFFICIAL STEP I Results thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured in honor of those who have gotten their scores back it would be interesting to create a single thread which could be used in the future.

Please post how you did on Q-bank (please differentiate between how your last 8-10 blocks went) and/or your final average.

How you did on NBME

Finally, your board score

Also if you want to add your study hints do that too.

Members don't see this ad.

Jessica said:
MCAT 37Q (11 VR, 12 PS, 14, BS)

kaplan diagnostic: 60% 1.5 months before

Q-bank 74% finished all ?s, no repeats, did 50 q blocks based on what I had studied that day (range 50-90%, all over the place)

NBME released items: 82% (1 week before)

USMLE: 259 (Friday 8/13 --> score report received 9/11)

Studied 27 days (minus a few completely non-productive days... qbank, first aid x3, step-up <-- really liked this, BRS path and physio, high-yield neuroanat., biochem, pharm, embryology, and micro made simple x1)

Thanks to ALL for your advice and study tips. SDN was my favorite procrastination... congrats to everyone who has posted their score and best of luck to those waiting to hear back!

wow...that's an awesome score! i had a few questions...

where did u get the kaplan diagnostic exam...did u take the course? what do you mean when u say u did qbank questions based on what u had studied for each day? i.e. ur qbank questions weren't in random order? which nbme released items are there? that 150q one? for the hy books, did u read them cover-to-cover or just pertinent sections? thanks.

GrandMasterB said:
Yo,

I am procrastinating and thought I would tell you my life story. I have benefited from everyone else's experiences, over the years(SDN and PR.com-which was a lot more fun by the way), so I thought I would try to repay the favor.

Here's my life on paper in a nutshell, along with some Reader's Digest style trite statments on life to amuse you.

I took step 1 last year, and am studying for step2 right now, so take this info with a grain of salt.

Childhood:

Spastic child, ran around a lot, got in trouble everyday- highly recommended.
The ladies loved me. Top of the world ma!

The Wonder Years:

Little luck with the ladies. Spent some nights crying.
High School: 50/700, GPA: 79 I think
SAT: 1440 (740V, 700M)

The black-out years:

Did better with the ladies, I think....

UG: Top 20 school (USNWR), GPA: 3.6 w/ major upward trend
MCAT: 10-10-10-R, bad day, studied 3 weeks

Youthful adulthood:

Top 30 (USNWR) med school- not a measure of your own personal worth so please, no flaming on USNWR- just for info.

Celibacy has set in. Crying occurs nightly.

Basic Science Years: Buy the text if you must. Read review books, seriously. Trial by fire is the only way right? Seriously, first and second years-don't spaz- use the review books to map a course out then read the text if you really want.

Me: did above average on most exams, we don't have grades here, so I don't know about relative performance.

Step 1:

Books: used mainly the same books as everyone else. Studied 5.5 weeks hardcore- reviewed embryo a few months before boards studying for some reason, took notes compulsively during studying.

Q-bank: sucks b*lls IMHO, didn't care for it at all, did about 30% got about 70% right.

Released Qs: Thought these were pretty easy- think I got about a 90%

NBME Exams: great resource- think these are great predictor of performance, and a great intro to how the actual questions work- these are retired questions according to someone in the know- if I remember correctly.

Test #1: 2 weeks out- 620
Test # 2: 1 week out- 700

USMLE Step 1: 268/99- got drunk for about a week.

Purgatory (aka Third Year):

Prisoner's love lives are looking appealing. Crying has devloved into sobbing. Drinking makes me more attractive to myself. Don't pity me.

Clerkships: Don't stress. Act like an adult, and treat these experiences like a job. You don't want to be candid with your boss, but you don't want to lie to him either. Be nice to your coworkers, and don't get nervous about every interaction you have with a resident or attending. The world does not revolve around you- so no one will remember if you didn't say exactly the right thing at the right time. You are not being evaluated every second of the day- nobody cares enough to do that. The residents and attendings are worrying about their own lives+/- their patients- this gives you a lot of leeway to make faces behind their backs. This makes the nurses happy. Use this pearl at your own risk!

Be your lovable self, and make friends. Read UTD on your patients when you get a chance- def the best resource (emedicine is a little more detailed and has more esoteric stuff in there). Pretend like you read NEJM or JAMA though- for some reason there seems to be a machismo about reading from those (or other) journals rather than reading UTD- go figure. Be confident when you are doing your presentations and be organized- think about what you want to say and what you are thinking before you present. Don't suck up, but feign interest even when you aren't interested.

Don't be annoying, but don't be passive. It is the resident's and the attending's job to teach you, but not babysit or pamper you.

Don't grade grub, but don't be a b*tch. You should get what you deserve (be rational here) and say something if you think you are getting screwed.

Studying hard for step1 pays dividends this year- esp pathophys and physiology. Anatomy, pharm and micro are of some value- significantly less than the other two.

Me: did reasonbly well, 1/2 H some HP and P. Got screwed by a couple of residents, and messed up a shelf- which was my fault.

Shelf exams:

First Aid, almost without exception was a great resource for most of my clerkships. These are pretty hard exams, but same sort of reasoning as step1.

MKSAP for students: you must do this for the IM shelf.

Me: Did ok. 70th-80th %ile on most, except Peds- did better.

Step 2:

FAs2 is good, I think- as an outline. Flipping through FA for each clerkship with waxing and waning amounts of dilligence and Prescription for Step2. Don't like Crush too much, but not terrible. B and W is great, just not suited for writing in- bad for me- great for you? I would definitely recommend B and W- esp b/w sections on the exam if it doesn't stress you out too much. I'm not being nearly as dilligent, and trying to do some easy clerkships. I think you will find that studying isn't as easy to motivate for at this poitn.

Released Questions: might do them

Q-bank- bought it- what can I say, I am a sheep. Haven't done much of it- 15% getting about 80%, but don't like it much.

NBME Exams:
First one- 4 weeks out- 630
Second one- 2 weeks out- 690

USMLE Step2- Priceless. Just hoping not to wreck my rep in a few days!

Good luck to everybody. Remember, a great score doesn't make up for acting like a jerk, and doing poorly on clerkships.

Proverb for the day: A good sense of humor will do wonders for your outlook on life and its outlook on you. I think Martha Stewart once said that on Dr. Phil- as true today as when it was written/said. Wish me luck. :luck:

All my love,

GMB

To update: got my scores today (took the test ~8/25)

Step 2 267

very excited!

for those who've posted their stats already but didn't include how well they did in the basic sciences in med school, mind commenting on that? it would be very encouraging to hear from someone who didn't do well in classes (i.e. botton half of their classes) but did decently on the usmle mainly by studying like crazy in 1-2 months prior to step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
NBME assessment A- 440; taken ~1 month prior to exam
NBME assessment B- 450; taken ~1 week prior to exam
Qbank- 70% completed- end score was a 60%
MCAT- 27Q
Med school grades- bumpy first year, but ended up honoring pathology (immuno is interspersed with path at my school) and high passing neuro.
I did much better second year. I honored a bunch of second year classes (endocrine, microbiology, connective tissue, pyschiatry, renal, etc...). I also failed cardio second year.
Step one- 226

I depended very heavily on first aid, BRS path, and BRS physio. I used Micro made ridiculously simple also. I also had Robbin's question book, but I really only did ~1/4 of the book. I did not use a million other books, especially for topics like neuro, anatomy, biochem, molecular bio, and embryo (I only used first aid, and I would fill in the blanks in first aid by looking up stuff). I used qbank, and I hated it. Personally, I don't believe that qbank is 'golden' for step one. If I had to choose one question source, I'd use Robbin's question book for the path related stuff.

So my advice is- don't use a million books, study your ass off during second year, don't even attempt to try to learn things the first time around when studying for step one, sleep well the night before the exam (I didn't and I regret that- I only slept about 3 hours :eek: ), and DON'T FREAK OUT when taking the exam (I did this too, and I bet I would have done better if I didn't lose my cool during that horrible exam). The exam is hard, but it is doable. Also, keep in mind prior to taking this exam is that you will be presented with concepts presented to you in very unfamiliar ways (this is what freaked me out during the exam). Don't let yourself freak out if you are bewildered by what you see.

Sorry if the above is a fragmented mess. I'm in my surgery clerkship right now and I don't think I have many functioning neurons left at the moment :scared: .

Yogi Bear said:
wow...that's an awesome score! i had a few questions...

where did u get the kaplan diagnostic exam...did u take the course? what do you mean when u say u did qbank questions based on what u had studied for each day? i.e. ur qbank questions weren't in random order? which nbme released items are there? that 150q one? for the hy books, did u read them cover-to-cover or just pertinent sections? thanks.

Thanks, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, surgery clerkship is killing me.

to answer your ?s
diagnostic exam was free @ local kaplan center, didn't take a course

for q-bank, if I had studied CV, I would do 50 CV question at the end of the day (you can get random ?s or break them up by subject/organ system)

released items = the 150q one

skimmed HY books, I think that my time would have been better spend going over FA or Step up again instead.

Hello everyone,

Usually I like to read posts, don't post too often. Congratulations on all of you who have passed the exam and to all of the great scores out there! I hope you keep having successes like that in your future and I wish you all enjoyable, rewarding careers. Thanks for all the 3rd year advice GrandMasterB, good pearls of wisdom. I just started my first rotation for 3rd year in psychiatry and it's going well, although I'm having trouble getting motivated to study. I was searching frantically for a forum like this while I was studying for Step 1, to help me figure out how I was doing, if I could predict my score, etc., typical pre-board anxiety. I couldn't find this one at the time, but I'm glad somebody started this for us anxious folks out there ;-). Great thread (except for the little argument near the end) But anyway, here's how my Step 1 and other stats went.

SAT: 760 Verbal, 790 Math
ACT: 32 overall
MCAT: 13 BS, 13PS, 11VR, and I forgot Writing, I think I got like an L or something
University of Akron GPA: 3.826
Medical School Grades: Honors in everything preclinical except freaking behavioral science, I never could figure that class out. Current rank 2/108
Kaplan Qbank: about 75% overall and I finished about 75% of it, didn't get around to doing any IV Qbank.
Kaplan Practice Exam: 82%
We took 2 shelf exams during our 2nd year.
NBME Pathology Shelf: 96
NBME Pharmacology Shelf: 97
NBME Released 150-Items: 90%
NBME CBSSA #1 (2 weeks before exam): 680 (Weak in Anatomy and GI)
NBME CBSSA #2 (3 days before exam): 800
Step 1: 267/99 (slightly weak in Behavioral science and Cardiovascular System)

I'm extremely satisfied. I used primarily the Kaplan organ systems books, First Aid, and questions - lots of questions, NBME retired questions, the practice exams, Qbank, etc. The Kaplan books are good in the sense that everything is there that you need, but I think there are sources out there that are a little better. Kaplan stuff seems a little outdated compared with BRS Path, I felt. My best advice to future test-takers out there would be to study and learn your M1 and M2 course material well, especially the second year stuff (I really recommend learning Robbins Basic Pathology as well as you can). And then use that month before boards for intense review, not new learning. Also, take an NBME CBSSA early during your review month. I took it and it told me I was weak in the GI system and Anatomy, so I studied those two topcis extensively. Hope this helps someone.

The only thing I was kind of nervous about now is that I'm interested in doing an IM residency at a place like MGH, BWH or JHU. I don't have any research experience or too many leadership positions at my school, although I am very interested in a part-time career in academic medicine (I want to do clinical medicine too! that's why I'm here!). I have posted about this elsewhere, if some of you have read it. Anybody have any advice about getting into programs like these, or know anybody who has and what kinds of things they look for in candidates? Thanks again. If anybody has anything I can help with, please let me know.

Take care and good luck with all of your futures,
Gharfunkle

Thats a great score. Just do excellent clinical work and shine in an interview (which you should get) and the spot is as much yours as anyone's, I believe. Of course, I think that holds true for most anyone with relatively good 'numbers'.

Congrats.

Idiopathic said:
Thats a great score. Just do excellent clinical work and shine in an interview (which you should get) and the spot is as much yours as anyone's, I believe. Of course, I think that holds true for most anyone with relatively good 'numbers'.

Congrats.

No MCAT
DAT 17
Part 1 dental board 93 = 96th percentile
Part 2 dental board 91 = 98th percentile
DDS in 2003
No medical school
Study 25 days: BRS path, physio; Micro made rid. simple, First aid, Lipincott Pharm, no practice tests, didn't touch behav science, anatomy, or biochem.
USMLE 196/80
All I had to do was pass to enter MSIII as oms resident.
There is no excuse not to pass this test guys! Study hard.

nsh_00 said:
I don't usually post, just like to read whats going on. Just took the exam and don't know if I'll pass even. I found this post in particular very helpful before the exam.
At this point I would not be surprised to get a decent score or on the other end, to fail
Qbank I did all subject wise even topic wise, like 60% or so (48-80%)
NMBE 1 370 (ages before exam)
NMBE 2 440 10 days before.
150 q's. 73% 1 week before
Will post my score on this thread as soon as it comes out.

STEP 1 Score 208/85

I rarely post, but what the hell. I'm a Canadian medical student and wrote the step 1 at the end of August... feeling rather defeated while walking out of the test center. In the end, I'm somewhat disappointed...

MCAT: 13 BS, 14 PS, 13-15 VR, R
Medical school grades: poor effort admittedly, mediocre = average throughout
Qbank: 65%
NBME form 1 (1 week prior): 520 (scared me into studying more)
NBME form 2 (2 days prior): 500 (felt like cancelling exam)
Step 1: 242/98

I was aiming for higher (but expecting lower after the rubbish form1/form2 scores). Hopefully it's decent enough not to thwart my attempt to match ENT.... :confused:

Yogi Bear said:
for those who've posted their stats already but didn't include how well they did in the basic sciences in med school, mind commenting on that? it would be very encouraging to hear from someone who didn't do well in classes (i.e. botton half of their classes) but did decently on the usmle mainly by studying like crazy in 1-2 months prior to step 1.

You must be talking to me. I did a bit better than average during first year, a bit below average during second year, i.e., bottom half of the class (laziness, failed releationships, etc). I deferred my first rotation block and took step I in mid August and wound up with a 224.

puppy said:
I rarely post, but what the hell. I'm a Canadian medical student and wrote the step 1 at the end of August... feeling rather defeated while walking out of the test center. In the end, I'm somewhat disappointed...

MCAT: 13 BS, 14 PS, 13-15 VR, R
Medical school grades: poor effort admittedly, mediocre = average throughout
Qbank: 65%
NBME form 1 (1 week prior): 520 (scared me into studying more)
NBME form 2 (2 days prior): 500 (felt like cancelling exam)
Step 1: 242/98

I was aiming for higher (but expecting lower after the rubbish form1/form2 scores). Hopefully it's decent enough not to thwart my attempt to match ENT.... :confused:

incredible mcat scores :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
NMS: 71%
QBank: 71%
NBME 1: 540
USMLE 150Q: 83%

Felt pretty good after the exam, thought I had a good shot at reaching my goal (215-220). Ended up scoring 248/99. Ecstatic.

MCAT 32

Kaplan QBank 70% Got through all the questions

USMLEasy 72% Got through 50% of questions

Read FirstAid, BRS path, & High Yield Series for other topics

USMLE I 256/99

Booyah

Do as many questions as you can, that's the key

I was glued to this thread last year, trying to figure out correlations. Time to bump it up since I just got back my CBSE score 88~245. If I can get just a few more points on the real thing with 1 week until I get out of school and 8 weeks to study, I promise to send big frank and jalby a present (my left nut j/k) for all their advise.

Thought i would bring this thread back b/c its more complete with the list of step 1 scores and pretest scores to do some comparing with. I liked it anyhow.

I got my results today and am ecstatic. i got 410 both tests of nbme. got about 55-65% on qbank random questions, much higher qbank scores if just path though. I only did 30-45% of qbank because its boring as all get out.

Got a 205/83

remember i'm kinda non-traditional. Never done a day of medical school in my life. Only 4 years of dental school. havent had these classes for 4-5 years, so it probably wont coorelate well with you others. i only needed to pass b/c i'm already in my residency so that is why i'm ecstatic with a 205. Good luck all. A little FA, with some BRS = passing grade in my case.

Later.....

KJC

north2southOMFS said:
Thought i would bring this thread back b/c its more complete with the list of step 1 scores and pretest scores to do some comparing with. I liked it anyhow.

I got my results today and am ecstatic. i got 410 both tests of nbme. got about 55-65% on qbank random questions, much higher qbank scores if just path though. I only did 30-45% of qbank because its boring as all get out.

Got a 205/83

remember i'm kinda non-traditional. Never done a day of medical school in my life. Only 4 years of dental school. havent had these classes for 4-5 years, so it probably wont coorelate well with you others. i only needed to pass b/c i'm already in my residency so that is why i'm ecstatic with a 205. Good luck all. A little FA, with some BRS = passing grade in my case.

Later.....

KJC

congrats, you achieved your goal!

just to clarify...

when you guys talk about those NBME form 1 and 2 scores (the ones people are scoring about 400-800 points on), is that referring to this CBSSA stuff?

https://external1.nbme.org/nsasweb/servlet/mesa_main

and the USMLE released questions is this?

http://www.usmle.org/Orientation/menu.htm

did anybody take the NBME comprehensive basic science exam (CBSE)? is that in the same vein as CBSSA or is that a different thing?

sooooooooooo confused...

thanks for the help!

CBSE exam gives you a predicted 3-digit score. Your 1st link is to the exams w/ the 500 average that predict your relationship to the mean on the Step I. they're like $45 each. good luck

bigfrank said:
CBSE exam gives you a predicted 3-digit score. Your 1st link is to the exams w/ the 500 average that predict your relationship to the mean on the Step I. they're like $45 each. good luck

i took the CBSE through my school... the results that were given to us only have a score that ranges from 45-95 (mean = 70) and the step 1 equivalent (140-260). it doesn't have any numbers that average 500. that's why i'm wondering if it's that CBSSA thing rather than the CBSE.

hawaiigirl said:
i took the CBSE through my school... the results that were given to us only have a score that ranges from 45-95 (mean = 70) and the step 1 equivalent (140-260). it doesn't have any numbers that average 500. that's why i'm wondering if it's that CBSSA thing rather than the CBSE.
Exactly

For all you correlation hounds:

Basic science shelf exam #1, administered by school after our one-year basic science crash course. No studying: ~195

Basic science shelf exam #2, administered by school after one year on the wards (and therefore one year removed from basic science classes), again no studying: ~205

Intermission: two years in a lab + one baby later, took Step 1. Only had 2.5 weeks of full-time study. Had to relearn a huge amount of material. Not fun at all.

Q-Bank: initially used as a study aid (i.e., I read all the explanations first), so overall average not relevant. When I first started doing random blocks, scores were mid-60%s, towards the end, they were mid-80%s.

Q-Bank full-length, 10 days before: 72%
NBME #1: 590 (237), two weeks before Step 1
NBME #2: 610 (242), five days before Step 1

USMLE Step 1: 249/99

Quite pleased.

The irony (isn't it ironic?) is that my performance profile -- which I have to include with my residency app -- showed two conspicuously weak areas, one of which was the field in which I'm applying. But since the average score of matched applicants was 214 last year, I think I'm OK.

Heres my info
Med School--Ross University
MCAT--26
Q Bank--71%
NBME 1--510 6 weeks before
NBME 2--600 1 week before
STEP 1--243/98

omores said:
For all you correlation hounds:

Basic science shelf exam #1, administered by school after our one-year basic science crash course. No studying: ~195

Basic science shelf exam #2, administered by school after one year on the wards (and therefore one year removed from basic science classes), again no studying: ~205

Intermission: two years in a lab + one baby later, took Step 1. Only had 2.5 weeks of full-time study. Had to relearn a huge amount of material. Not fun at all.

Q-Bank: initially used as a study aid (i.e., I read all the explanations first), so overall average not relevant. When I first started doing random blocks, scores were mid-60%s, towards the end, they were mid-80%s.

Q-Bank full-length, 10 days before: 72%
NBME #1: 590 (237), two weeks before Step 1
NBME #2: 610 (242), five days before Step 1

USMLE Step 1: 249/99

Quite pleased.

The irony (isn't it ironic?) is that my performance profile -- which I have to include with my residency app -- showed two conspicuously weak areas, one of which was the field in which I'm applying. But since the average score of matched applicants was 214 last year, I think I'm OK.

I'm new to all this, so this may have already been addressed. Are basic science shelf exams the exams taken at the end of the year? If so, are they required at all med schools? Lastly, are they in usmle format and good predictors of the real thing? Don't flame me...I will just be starting my m1 year in august and am trying to learn more about testing in med schools.

MiniPri said:
I'm new to all this, so this may have already been addressed. Are basic science shelf exams the exams taken at the end of the year? If so, are they required at all med schools? Lastly, are they in usmle format and good predictors of the real thing? Don't flame me...I will just be starting my m1 year in august and am trying to learn more about testing in med schools.
The basic science shelf exams are created by the same folks who write Step 1. They consist of 150 questions and when you get your results, you're given a "Step 1 equivalent" score and a performance profile (just as you are with the $45 NBME basic science assessments that everybody talks about on this board.)

I have no idea how common they are in medical schools. My school is reportedly using them to gauge the effectiveness of the new curriculum that was instituted last year. It also makes us take them twice -- once after our classwork is over, and once after our first year on the wards. In both cases, we're told not to study for them, and they don't count for anything. My school is always claiming that early clinical experience helps us improve our basic science knowledge; this is a way to see if it's true (in my case, it was).

I'd suspect that a more common thing would be for schools to just make students take one test at the end of the two years of classwork. At some schools, the test might actually count towards a grade, but I don't know this for sure. At any rate, they're by no means universal -- it very much depends on the school. Maybe some other people will let you know how it works at their school. And you can always call the school you'll be attending (or e-mail a student who goes there) to ask how it works.

Just got my score and I am pleasantly surprised

258/99
Took 6/1/05 on old prometric system

Q-bank average=75%, 100% completed
Studied for a few weeks after cumulative finals in pharm and path
Didn't take NBME tests because didn't have the $$
USMLE 150 Q's 43/44/41

I couldn't be happier at the moment. I can't believe it, :D especially since it was hard for me to even be accepted to med school. Good luck to all of those awaiting their scores. Hard work pays off in the end!

aquaboy said:
Just got my score and I am pleasantly surprised

258/99
Took 6/1/05 on old prometric system

Q-bank average=75%, 100% completed
Studied for a few weeks after cumulative finals in pharm and path
Didn't take NBME tests because didn't have the $$
USMLE 150 Q's 43/44/41

I couldn't be happier at the moment. I can't believe it, :D especially since it was hard for me to even be accepted to med school. Good luck to all of those awaiting their scores. Hard work pays off in the end!
that's off the hook.
:thumbup:

For all those reporting their scores, how did you feel the actual test compared with the NBME form exams in terms of difficulty? I personally felt the form exams were much easier than the actual test. I'm just a little uneasy as I wait for my score.

AnnulusOfZinn said:
For all those reporting their scores, how did you feel the actual test compared with the NBME form exams in terms of difficulty? I personally felt the form exams were much easier than the actual test. I'm just a little uneasy as I wait for my score.

In terms of difficulty and simulating the experience, I thought the NBME Forms 1 and 2 were perfect.

Pox in a box said:
In terms of difficulty and simulating the experience, I thought the NBME Forms 1 and 2 were perfect.

I thought the exam was way harder and not anything at all like the NBME tests. Shows that, obviously, your impressions will depend on what they ask and what you know. I thought the NBME tests were very straightforward and examples of what a competancy test should be. My Step 1 had all sorts of weirdness on it. After finishing it, I felt like I had passed, but whether I got a 183 or a 240 (which is what my NBME Form 1 predicted) I have no idea. :scared:

Wahoo07 said:
I thought the exam was way harder and not anything at all like the NBME tests. Shows that, obviously, your impressions will depend on what they ask and what you know. I thought the NBME tests were very straightforward and examples of what a competancy test should be. My Step 1 had all sorts of weirdness on it. After finishing it, I felt like I had passed, but whether I got a 183 or a 240 (which is what my NBME Form 1 predicted) I have no idea. :scared:

I can't make a good judgment until the score report comes in but I thought that it was a very good representation of my exam. There were more questions that I frowned upon because I thought they were bizzarre and could not be found in any of the review books but a vast majority were similar. I do believe that the Step 1 was a bit tougher but not by much.

From my own experience and from reading these posts, i have come to the conclusion that it is difficult to assess the accuracy of the NBME forms 1 and 2 in predicting performance on step 1. The actual step 1 that you get is a randomized assortment of questions drawn from a massive question bank. It is like a drawing from a deck of cards, you either lucky or ur not. My step 1 was fair in is overall coverage of medical material and reflected my knowledge base. I also felt that the level of difficulty was very similar to qbank and to the NBME forms 1 and 2. There were very few questions that I felt I was unprepared for. Unlike some other people on the thread I did not get esoteric questions being presented in a form you have never seen before. Although I did overall over 5,000 questions, I felt that every question on my step 1 was designed in a manner similar to questions that I have encountered. In conclusion, everything about step 1 depends on your knowledge base and the luck of the draw.

Hi all,

I am starting my second year soon, and wanted to use the summer to plan my study protocol for next year's exam. I have compiled some books that might help me prepare. Can anyone please rate my book list and give pertinent advice, based on your knowledge of the exam. Thanks.

BOOKS AND LEARNING SOURCES

1. Pathology – Pathology I and II (Platinum Vignettes, 2003); BRS Pathology (2001, 2nd e)

2. Pharmacology – Lippincott's: Pharmacology (2 e, 2000); Katzung’s Review of Pharmacology (2001, 6 e) or Pharm card

3. Physiology – BRS physiology 3e 2003; BRS Physiology Cases 2e 2005; Ace Physiology 1996

4. Microbiology and Immunology – Microbiology 2003 (Platinum Vignettes); Medical M and I: Examination & Board Review 7e 2002; Clinical Micro MRS, High yield immuno 1999, high yield micro 2000 (i know this is a lot, but all these were rated highly)

6. Behavioral Science and Biostatistics – Platinum Vignettes: Behavioral Science & Biostatistics (2003), BRS Behavioral Science

7. Neuroanatomy – High-Yield Neuroanatomy 3e 2004

8. Gross anatomy – High-Yield Gross Anatomy (The Science of Review) 2e 2001

9. Biochemistry – BRS Biochemistry 3e 1998, Figures and Charts from Lippincott’s

10. Histology and Histopathology (slides) – Curran's Atlas of Histopathology 4e 1999, High-Yield Histology 3e 2004

11. Embryology – Anatomy & Embryology: Platinum Vignettes 2003; High-Yield Embryology 2e 2001

12. Molecular and Cellular Biology/ Genetics– High-Yield Molecular and Cellular Biology 1e 1999

13. Radiographs and CT scans; Graphs – Radiology 101: the Basics and Fundamentals of Imaging 2004, Clinical radiology MRS 2000, First Aid Pictures and Figures

QUESTION BANKS AND BOOKS

1. Robbins Review of Pathology 2004 2e

2. Goljan Audio, HY Notes, RR series, BS series exam etc

3. Appleton and Lange question book 2002

4. Kaplan’s Qbook 2004 and Qbank

5. Released USMLE items

6. Web Path questions

8. NMS Review for USMLE Step 1 (Book with CD-ROM) by John S. Lazo 2002

9. Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards: A Review for Usmle Step 1 (Boards and Wards Series) 2003

Nflow said:
Hi all,

I am starting my second year soon, and wanted to use the summer to plan my study protocol for next year's exam. I have compiled some books that might help me prepare. Can anyone please rate my book list and give pertinent advice, based on your knowledge of the exam. Thanks.

BOOKS AND LEARNING SOURCES

1. Pathology – Pathology I and II (Platinum Vignettes, 2003); BRS Pathology (2001, 2nd e)

2. Pharmacology – Lippincott's: Pharmacology (2 e, 2000); Katzung’s Review of Pharmacology (2001, 6 e) or Pharm card

3. Physiology – BRS physiology 3e 2003; BRS Physiology Cases 2e 2005; Ace Physiology 1996

4. Microbiology and Immunology – Microbiology 2003 (Platinum Vignettes); Medical M and I: Examination & Board Review 7e 2002; Clinical Micro MRS, High yield immuno 1999, high yield micro 2000 (i know this is a lot, but all these were rated highly)

6. Behavioral Science and Biostatistics – Platinum Vignettes: Behavioral Science & Biostatistics (2003), BRS Behavioral Science

9. Biochemistry – BRS Biochemistry 3e 1998, Figures and Charts from Lippincott’s

10. Histology and Histopathology (slides) – Curran's Atlas of Histopathology 4e 1999, High-Yield Histology 3e 2004

11. Embryology – Anatomy & Embryology: Platinum Vignettes 2003; High-Yield Embryology 2e 2001

12. Molecular and Cellular Biology/ Genetics– High-Yield Molecular and Cellular Biology 1e 1999

13. Radiographs and CT scans; Graphs – Radiology 101: the Basics and Fundamentals of Imaging 2004, Clinical radiology MRS 2000, First Aid Pictures and Figures

QUESTION BANKS AND BOOKS

5. Released USMLE items

6. Web Path questions

9. Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards: A Review for Usmle Step 1 (Boards and Wards Series) 2003

Nflow, your list is good, but you will never ever be able to get through everything you have listed. You are making what is probably the most common mistake people make in preparing for boards, overwhelming themselves with too many resources. I myself started studying for the USMLE at the start of my second year and I even did some stuff over the summer break. I purchased most of the books that you have listed but hardly got through most of them. Here is what I would recommend, get a high yield book that covers all the major topics from every subject. I, along with the vast majority of medical students, used First Aid. I went over this book 7 times before I took my USMLE. I would also get BRS path, A pharm Book, Brs phys, BRS Biochem, and Q bank. That is it. Do not spend the last few weeks before your exam going over the BRS books. Rather, go through these books and your First Aid during the year. About 4 weeks before your exam, begin to do 100 or more Qs on the Q bank every night and continue reading First Aid. If you can start Q bank earlier, that will be great. Good luck.

Nflow said:
Hi all,

I am starting my second year soon,

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Unless you
1) slept through 1st year
2) Intend to sleep through second year
3) have a money tree growing in your apartment

you really need to scale down that list of yours. You can't possibly study from so many sources

a few quick suggestions: Get rid of
4 - Come on, micro is not that difficult
6 - the BRS has all the biostats you need
10 - Everything you need is in robbins or FA
13 - Absolutely unnecessary. If you really want to review this topic, there are great resources available on the internet

Thanks goooooober and idq1i for you response. I just spent the last three days reading several guides and sources to compile the list. So I probably will take some out :).

Any other advice?

Nflow said:
Big Robbins, BRS and Robbins Review will get you through path nicely
Lippincott or Pharmacology Recall. Katzung is way too much and BRS just sucks.
annotate First Aid with BRS physio. If you didn't need the others for the class, you definitely won't need them for Step 1.
MRS is sufficient.
OMG, don't get any of these. FA covers it all, and HY Behavioral Science is the ONLY other thing you should even consider getting.
good choice
Good
I used BRS. In retrospect, Lippincott is probably the best source, and would be sufficient by itself.
Spend your money on a good cell bio review book instead.
Either First Aid will cover it, or it will only be in a comprehensive text. If you feel you absolutely MUST buy a review book, HY Embryo is a good choice.
1999 seems a little outdated for this topic. But I haven't seen the book, so I don't know.
If you know your anatomy, you don't need this.

QUESTION BANKS AND BOOKS

Use this during the year.
Pick ONE of these and learn it thoroughly.
Overkill.
Essential, but save the questions till school's over and you're focused on Step 1.
5. Released USMLE items
If you run out of Qbank questions.
6. Web Path questions
If you run out of Qbank questions.
I don't know anyone who's used it, so I can't say. Overkill, maybe.
It has a good, high yield neuro and immuno review in the appendix. Also the zebra section is kinda cool. Otherwise it makes a good secondary source wherever Goljan is vague and sketchy.

Overall, I agree with previous comments: pare it down.

idq1i said:
13 - Absolutely unnecessary. If you really want to review this topic, there are great resources available on the internet

Woah, #13...that's the only big topic I thought was worthy 10 months ago but considered too low yield for my exam, that is, until I was taking my exam. I would DEFINITELY look at some basic radiographs (especially neuroanatomy) in hindsight. Step 1 had a lot of CTs, MRIs, and x-rays (probably about 20 questions). I definitely would not spend more than a couple of hours, however, studying radiology. The test writers create the exam for second year medical students (except for about a dozen questions, which were written for the likes of Robbins, Katzung, and Netter).

Pox in a box said:
that is, until I was taking my exam.

I was talking about the review book, not the topic. Internet resources are much better...and...they're FREE!

I'll say that I found the mle's radiology to be exceedingly straightforward. Cracked skull/epidural, leg paralysis/ACA infarct, find the ileum on an xray (that was a beautiful q), find the hippocampus on an MRI.

idq1i said:
I was talking about the review book, not the topic. Internet resources are much better...and...they're FREE!

I'll say that I found the mle's radiology to be exceedingly straightforward. Cracked skull/epidural, leg paralysis/ACA infarct, find the ileum on an xray (that was a beautiful q), find the hippocampus on an MRI.

Mine had a lot of neuro radiology. It wasn't exactly straightforward. <blank> deficit --> what artery (answers A-K).

since this thread has completely jumped off topic, I'd just like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episodes of Family Guy and American Dad.

Compiled Step one Experiences: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2677111&postcount=139
xaelia said:
So, I took it on the 31st, and I think it went ok....

For all you numbers junkies who are trying to predict your scores based on whatnot....

NBME Form 1: 510/221 (one month prior to exam)
NBME Form 2: 560/232 (12 days prior to exam)
Released Items 2005: 44, 42, 37 (11 days prior to exam)
Kaplan Simulated Exam: ~81% (10 days prior to exam)
Qbank, Qbook: 60-85% range going through as I was studying topics.

...and I'll be back to update with my confirmation of how the score pans out in a month! (I hope...we didn't have FRED, oddly enough).

(and I hope I didn't sound too pretentious with my description of the test...I don't think my knowledge base is significantly different than anyone elses' who has studied, but I literally kept getting questions that uncannily matched the areas I studied the most successfully.)

Score reported June 22nd: 253/99

Incomprehensible. I could take Step 1 in fifty parallel universes and never match that score again. For a middle-of-the-class student at a middle-of-the-rankings medical school...you get the picture. I guess the only additional thing I can say on top of my post in Compiled Step one Experiences in terms of preparation, is that doing questions is great - not because you're trying to replicate every last detail that might be on the exam, but to expose areas requiring greater review to go back and read over.

My husband's experience...

Tried to study all along but with 4 and then 5 kids it rarely happened. MCAT 34, undergrad GPA 2.8 (couldn't quite envision me and the kids :) Had 2 weeks off before the exam and shut himself in a room for most of that time. I asked him what he used to study and he said mostly FA and supplemented when needed with his other texts. Also did Q bank questions. Never took any test that gave any "scores". He didn't want to freak himself out. Final outcome...260/99...wifey very pleased. I think the score is even more impressive due to the fact that his wife and children do NOT feel neglected!

Mom2five said:

Tried to study all along but with 4 and then 5 kids it rarely happened. MCAT 34, undergrad GPA 2.8 (couldn't quite envision me and the kids :) Had 2 weeks off before the exam and shut himself in a room for most of that time. I asked him what he used to study and he said mostly FA and supplemented when needed with his other texts. Also did Q bank questions. Never took any test that gave any "scores". He didn't want to freak himself out. Final outcome...260/99...wifey very pleased. I think the score is even more impressive due to the fact that his wife and children do NOT feel neglected!

Wow!, that is truely amazing for putting in 2 weeks worth of studying. Congrats to both of you for your efforts.

I've been away for a while, but the craziness has not relented. I can not believe the scores that you folks are throwing around on this thread. :scared:

I take this crap on Thursday, not feeling good.

Samoa said:
Big Robbins, BRS and Robbins Review will get you through path nicely

Overall, I agree with previous comments: pare it down.

Mom2five said:

I think that's cool but why is a wife posting a husband's experience?