OFFICIAL STEP I Results thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured in honor of those who have gotten their scores back it would be interesting to create a single thread which could be used in the future.

Please post how you did on Q-bank (please differentiate between how your last 8-10 blocks went) and/or your final average.

How you did on NBME

Finally, your board score

Also if you want to add your study hints do that too.

Members don't see this ad.

Took Step 1 on 6/24, got score from my registrar today:

Qbank: 63% after about 75% of it (repeated missed Q's though)
NBME CBSSA: Form 1 (3 days prior): 510, too freaked to take Form 2
USMLE Step 1: 220 (got from registrar, no 2-number)
MCAT: 31Q
Favorite Color: Navy Blue
Class rank: pass/fail, but upper 1/3 probably
2nd year exams: 0.5 to 1.5 std deviations above the mean

I thought the CBSSA was closest in form, content and obviously score correlation. The year-two director at my school was able to predict my score exactly from my performance on the MCQ's throughout the 2nd year.

If I had to do it again I would study FA harder and do more questions from BSS and NMS as well as Qbank.

Congrats to all those with scores already and best of luck for those still waiting!

Who loves ya?

Spang

cubs3canes said:
that is a great score. You should be proud. It also is hard to post scores under 240 on this website, I know, my score is way less than 240 (216). Do not be intimidated by big frank and the others, they do not want you to be intimitated. Remember this is for informational purposes only. No one should be bragging or thinking they are smarter. We will all be doctors in two years.

Also, everyone who reads these posts is looking for a little advice, so you should still put up what you studied.

thank you. i think my main mistake was taking USMLE 1 week after the COMLEX...they are pretty different tests and switching focus so quickly was a little difficult for me. i studied mostly kaplan and first aid--however, i still think first aid is not very sufficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
cubs3canes said:
that is a great score. You should be proud. It also is hard to post scores under 240 on this website, I know, my score is way less than 240 (216). Do not be intimidated by big frank and the others, they do not want you to be intimitated. Remember this is for informational purposes only. No one should be bragging or thinking they are smarter. We will all be doctors in two years.

Also, everyone who reads these posts is looking for a little advice, so you should still put up what you studied.

I'm not trying to be mean here but i think the best person to ask would be your advisor on where u really stand as far as getting the residency you want.

ASX said:
I would say everything coorleated positively. Go Jalby! I love you man.

I love you too. Ummm. Who are you exactly??? I doubt you are Quizzle. Would have thought you would have mentioned something over the phone.

Hey Guys..

Inspiring scores and stories from all!

I'm starting 2nd year in 1.5 weeks, and I'm happy to say that I've done absolutely nothing related to medical school (save for research) this summer, and it feels great!

I hope to see alot of my fellow '07ers on this board in the coming months.

Thanks again guys for all the insight posted!

USFOptho

normalforce said:
http://psych.colorado.edu/~mcclella/java/normal/normz.html

This thread is quite easy to use for your calculations.

And for those of you with a penchant for Excel, try this equation to figure out your percentile:

=1-(1-ERF((((YOUR SCORE HERE)-221)/21)/SQRT(2)))/2

It comes up with the same percentile that the others come up with.

I got a 234/95, by the way, and I have absolutely NO IDEA what NBME Form A or B was.

Maybe that explains the score. I actually think it's an ok score, but I'd like a set of opinions from the crowd: Is 234/95 along with a top 1/4 ranking from a mid-ranked MD school going to be competitive to get into a program like Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins?

Dark Sandbars said:
: Is 234/95 along with a top 1/4 ranking from a mid-ranked MD school going to be competitive to get into a program like Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins?

a) For some reason that equation dont work for me in my version excel. It just returns "NAME?"

b) I think A Better Question would be "How competetive is IM at JHU these days given certain current events?"

phllystyl said:
a) For some reason that equation dont work for me in my version excel. It just returns "NAME?"

b) I think A Better Question would be "How competetive is IM at JHU these days given certain current events?"

The thing with intern and probation didnt do much if any to hurt JHU's rep. Its still VERY competitive, my friend is an intern in IM this yr, and I know many people that would do what it takes to get a spot there.
Personally i think 234 should be ok, guaranteed u've many things in your favor. JHU medicine prog interviews like 370 people or so for their 37 spots. Dunno how many thousands apply. I'm sure many great candidates, so has to be something that sets you apart. My friend went to Hopkins med, and had taken a yr off to do a HIV fellowship with one of their leading researchers, so she had a lot of people pulling for her, which helped.
Maybe you should try doin an away elective there, networking is always great. I'd love to do IM at Hopkins, and I'll be doing a summer prog in IM-Hopkins next yr, to start opening doors ahead of time

I've been reading posts here for a while, guess I could share.

First off congrats to everyone here, 270 or not you passed and it's a done deal.

MCAT 29
STEP 1 - 99 (two digit)
QBank one time through, randomized - 80%
Didn't do and NBME practice tests.

Studied for about 6 weeks after 2nd year let out, about 5-10 hours a day. Read one time through Kaplan lecture books, one time through QBank. Did a little first aid (mostly read first aid during 2nd year). Used a bunch of other books for resources - UCV series, HY Embryo/Neuro, BRS Anatomy,Physiology,Cell Bio/Histo.

I am satisfied although as med students you all know we want perfection. I was wanting a little higher score, but I have to keep in mind once you hit a 2 digit score of 99 there are very few questions that separate those people. I just thank the lord for what I have and I guess I should relax cause now I get to choose what I want to do when I grow up... so I'm thinking investment banking.... j/k.

If you have any more questions about how I prepared let me know

I haven't posted since my premed days but here is the info:
MCAT - 35
Qbank - 80% about after doing 3/4 of the questions one time through no repeats.
NBME Self Assessment 1 and 2 - 630, 770
Released (free) 150 Q's - 95% 2 days before.
USMLE Step 1 - 263/99

I will post a link to the study schedule I used if anyone is interested, but it can be found through a link on this site somewhere. Lets just say for path, I read both Goljan's Pathology (the Stars big version) and reviewed with BRS. That took a long time (although not as long as reading Robbins).

I decided I'd share my results for all those worried about having low MCATs.
I know that was a big concern for me. Infact I have never done well on standardized tests so for this one I didn't have a whole lot of confidence.
Here's my stuff

MCAT # 1: 20
MCAT # 2: 24 = Carib med school

Qbank 72 all random with 92% completed
NBME practice: 570 (1 week prior)

USMLE: 246.

By the way thanks to all those who contribute so much on this forum, I got a lot of good tips.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my scores today.
qbank - 70%
NBME - 500 (only took one)
MCAT - 21
SAT - 1190
USMLE step 1 - 191/78
class rank - lower 10%

I'm bummed about my scores, but i am really grateful to be in a position to continue the pursuit of my dream, helping others with the tools of a physician. thank you to all of you who encourage even the average joette to keep their chin up and work harder.
:) :)

Congrats Path. You passed, and statistically speaking you will be undifferentiated from any other physician that practices in our country. You should be proud, and from your statement I can tell you are in this for the right reasons. And if it makes you feel any better, you kicked my ass on the SAT!! I only got a 1020!! Congrats and be proud of yourself. Very few physicians outside the US could even pass this exam.

Dark Sandbars said:
And for those of you with a penchant for Excel, try this equation to figure out your percentile:

=1-(1-ERF((((YOUR SCORE HERE)-221)/21)/SQRT(2)))/2

It comes up with the same percentile that the others come up with.

I got a 234/95, by the way, and I have absolutely NO IDEA what NBME Form A or B was.

Maybe that explains the score. I actually think it's an ok score, but I'd like a set of opinions from the crowd: Is 234/95 along with a top 1/4 ranking from a mid-ranked MD school going to be competitive to get into a program like Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins?

if you'd like to calculate your percentile, subtract your mean score from your score and then divide that difference over the standard deviation. that will give you your z score. then use the z score calculator at the bottom of the following website....it'll generate a probability that will be expressed as a fraction which you can simply divide out on a calculator.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/rpkp/experiments/analysis/zCalc.html

Dukes said:
I decided I'd share my results for all those worried about having low MCATs.
I know that was a big concern for me. Infact I have never done well on standardized tests so for this one I didn't have a whole lot of confidence.
Here's my stuff

MCAT # 1: 20
MCAT # 2: 24 = Carib med school

Qbank 72 all random with 92% completed
NBME practice: 570 (1 week prior)

USMLE: 246.

By the way thanks to all those who contribute so much on this forum, I got a lot of good tips.

WOW!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

path2be said:
I got my scores today.
qbank - 70%
NBME - 500 (only took one)
MCAT - 21
SAT - 1190
USMLE step 1 - 191/78
class rank - lower 10%

I'm bummed about my scores, but i am really grateful to be in a position to continue the pursuit of my dream, helping others with the tools of a physician. thank you to all of you who encourage even the average joette to keep their chin up and work harder.
:) :)

At least you have a passing score. I think that I remember you got into the USMLE game pretty late, and only approximately 70% of DO students pass the USMLE (this board is of course an aberration). Congrats and enjoy rotations.

dukeblue01 said:
I haven't posted since my premed days but here is the info:
MCAT - 35
Qbank - 80% about after doing 3/4 of the questions one time through no repeats.
NBME Self Assessment 1 and 2 - 630, 770
Released (free) 150 Q's - 95% 2 days before.
USMLE Step 1 - 263/99

I will post a link to the study schedule I used if anyone is interested, but it can be found through a link on this site somewhere. Lets just say for path, I read both Goljan's Pathology (the Stars big version) and reviewed with BRS. That took a long time (although not as long as reading Robbins).

This is an excellent score. Isnt it funny that if this had been the first score we had seen all year (before bigfrank and unc12, etc) that we would be falling all over ourselves congratulating you. Outstanding accomplishment.

hey idio where is yoru score? or did i miss it on another thread? i must say im awaiting to see the monster score you pull in. not to put the pressure on but seems like you put in the time and sure you did great! let us know!

Step 1: 267
MCAT: 37 (15 p, 12 b, 10v)
Qbank: 79%
NBME: 650 (4 weeks prior)
750 (1 week prior)
released items: 90%
Kaplan simulated: 86%
Kaplan CD: 84%

congrats to all, I am so impressed with the people on this thread. sounds like a lot of future derm residents at Mass General or any program of their choice

reading this site makes me feel like my scores suck. i'm a DO student going for general surgery, which I hear is still sort of unfavorable to DO's if you go allopathic.

SAT:1150
MCAT: 26
USMLE: 230/93
Class rank: top 20% (barely)
COMLEX: still waiting.....

Best advise.... study hard 2nd year.

Step 1: 251
MCAT: 29 (big deal)
Class rank: upper 10%
NBME practice: 630 / 700

Ignorant question from an applicant...be warned.

What score is considered "passing"?

MCAT: 35 (10v, 14p, 11b)
NBME: 590, 600
Q bank: started out 60%, finished with 72%
Step1: 256/99
Step2 CK: 253/99
studied kaplan usmle 2000 lecutre notes, robbins review, first aid, lippincot pharm.

ACT: 34
MCAT 33o (3 11's)
Med GPA: 3.89/93.1%
School: OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine
Class rank: probably top 12
QBank: 71% (58-84%)
NBME1: 640 (1 week prior)
NBME2: 680 (1 day prior)

USMLE: 258/99

Honestly, I am very happy with this (dammit Jalby), but I think I could have done better (couldnt we all?). I missed some stupid easy questions and made some mistakes, certainly. I want to do neurosurg/ortho/radiology, so at least this score keeps me in the running for allo spots possibly.

I studied my ass off second year, especially after January, and have read about every board review book out there and did about every question out there. I do feel as though my school's basic science curriculum is poor (with the exception of pathology) and I believe I was weak in Pharm/Phys on this test.

Regardless, thanks for all the support and all the good wishes.

Idiopathic said:
MCAT 33o (3 11's)

Honestly, I am very happy with this (dammit Jalby), but I think I could have done better (couldnt we all?). I missed some stupid easy questions and made some mistakes, certainly. I want to do neurosurg/ortho/radiology, so at least this score keeps me in the running for allo spots possibly.

I studied my ass off second year, especially after January, and have read about every board review book out there and did about every question out there. I do feel as though my school's basic science curriculum is poor (with the exception of pathology) and I believe I was weak in Pharm/Phys on this test.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You did great Idio!!!!!! Congrats on your success!!!!! I'm so glad that the wait is finally over for you :D

Idiopathic said:
MCAT 33o (3 11's)

I'm very excited for you :D

It is really just nice to have a score. The funny thing is, 2 months ago, before this thread started, I would have been on top of the world. Now, after seeing all these 260+ scores, I feel like in the middle of the pack. Some very good students on this site, for sure.

DireWolf?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
way to go idio!!!!!

congratulations on the awesome score. thanks for all the help in prep for the usmle.

i know that i didn't score near the top, but here's my prep anyway.
i studied for the comlex and during the comlex, for the comlex. i decided to go ahead and take the usmle during comlex review, end of may. i wanted to have it under my belt in case i decided to do an allo res that did not want to figure out how the comlex correlated to the usmle. i thought that comlex prep would help me for usmle and did not want to burn out or forget stuff several months down the road.

so... i asked idio about qbank since i heard on these boards that it was good prep. i registered for qbank and started it about two weeks before i took the test. i answered about 70% of the questions. i took the nbme assessment test, score 500, the night before the usmle. i reviewed first aid in my weak areas, and listened to goljan audios in weak areas. (i wish he taught pharm) i must mention the usmleasy questions. i thought that it would help so i had been using this source since it came out in march. it did help me with classroom tests. and i guess it helped with timed question taking, but it did not prep me for qbank level questions.

i won't should all over myself, but i will offer the advice of 'know your second year material, in spite of your lecturers, and listen to people like idio for exam prep advice.'

peace out.

first of all, congrats on your score.

second,

Idiopathic said:
have read about every board review book out there and did about every question out there.

further proving that no matter how much you study, there's still the "crapshoot" conversion factor to standardized testing.

--your friendly neighborhood congratulatory caveman

lookin at your scores after readin this site can put a damper on getting an above average score...so for the people who didnt score 250 plus, look at your percentile and hopefully it will make u feel better

Homunculus said:
first of all, congrats on your score.

second,

further proving that no matter how much you study, there's still the "crapshoot" conversion factor to standardized testing.

--your friendly neighborhood congratulatory caveman

Yeah caveman, but a 258 is still a hot score even if you studied 24/7 for 12 months!

Then again..what do I know? I'm just an upcoming 2nd year, baby, waking up to your scary USMLE board and your talk of big numbers and studying frightens me :scared:

Congrats Idio. I think you have the DO record for this year as far as I know. I think DO's have represented quite well here this year. Be sure and post on that DO score thread for those who take it next year to have a freaking crazy goal to surpass!

Here's another stupid question from a future MS1. What are the QBank and NBME? Are they like the sample MCATs the AAMC sells? Also, what does the timing of taking them have to do with that their scores mean? I thought that step 1 was like the MCATs, you study as best you can, show up one day and take it and that's it. It seems like there's a lot of formal preparation for it that everyone goes through regardless of where you go to school. Thanks for the info.

hey idio awesome job! i completely know how you feel as i am sure you remmeber around mcat time, since i did not score a 36 or above i felt as i did terribly. Sdn just drastically skews how you feel! you did great congrats!

Idiopathic said:
MCAT 33o (3 11's)

Finally!!!!! Congrats!!!!!:clap:

congrats idio..i knew you would score high..i believe you can do what you want where you want. You should go to hopkins and do some neurosurg.

great job

Idiopathic said:

Congrats Idio. Great score. Unfortunately, I heard through my sources that the cutoff for allo neurosurg/ortho/rads this year is a 259. But you might have chances in other fields (kidding) I'm sure you'll get whatever you want.