OFFICIAL STEP I Results thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured in honor of those who have gotten their scores back it would be interesting to create a single thread which could be used in the future.

Please post how you did on Q-bank (please differentiate between how your last 8-10 blocks went) and/or your final average.

How you did on NBME

Finally, your board score

Also if you want to add your study hints do that too.

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT??? Need every piece of info for those crazy people who believe in correlations. Also, you probably want to mention how you did q-bank (right after studying something, 50 random blocks, etc, etc)

Can someone get big frank to drop this info for us on this thread? BTW Ill be happy 1 SD lower than BigFrank. Thats the 2nd highest score I have ever heard of. Wondering what field he is interested in?

qbank 82%- close to 100% at end due to memorization of question answers not real knowledge

qbank full lengths: 68, 71%

NBME: 79%?

MCAT 30 (12 VR, 8 PS, 10, BS)

ACT: really bad

Kindergarten: honors

MLE: 251

advice: see post on BF's thread. DO NOT be a fraid to start early if you care to push for that rockin' score.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrDre' said:
qbank 82%- close to 100% at end due to memorization of question answers not real knowledge

qbank full lengths: 68, 71%

NBME: 79%?

MCAT 30 (12 VR, 8 PS, 10, BS)

ACT: really bad

Kindergarten: honors

MLE: 251

advice: see post on BF's thread. DO NOT be a fraid to start early if you care to push for that rockin' score.

wow 251!! SDN folks goodness!!!
Congrats DrDre, oh la la mon Dieu, c'est incroyable!!!!! :D

qBank: 80% -- one time through, no repeats, always random
IV qBank: 85% --- one time through
qBank full length practice exam: 81%
Class rank: top 3

NBME free 150 q's: 84% (6M before Step I)
School-sponsored NBME assessment: predicted 255 (3M before Step I)
NBME paid: 700, 710 (mean 500, SD 100)

Step I: 267/99 (mean 217, SD 23)

Best,

just curious, there has to be more than 2 people who got their scores?

newbie5 said:
just curious, there has to be more than 2 people who got their scores?

Chill, there will be a mass release of them supposedly on the 14th, as most people didnt take the Step until June. :thumbdown: Damn NBME. Give me my scores now!

Just now saw this thread at the bottom of the page. For posterity's sake, here's the link to my report:

Step 1 Score

Got mine today. 233. Not too bad, hopefully that will be good enough for any residency I decide I want to do. Thanks everyone for all of your help & I hope everyone gets the score they hope for!

Clair de Lune said:
Got mine today. 233. Not too bad, hopefully that will be good enough for any residency I decide I want to do. Thanks everyone for all of your help & I hope everyone gets the score they hope for!

congrats!!
could u pls post a brief idea of ur preparation meethods, and practice scores

The SDN average must be like at least 1 SD above the mean, could it be due to the wonderful resources available here? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, sorry I forgot to post about how I studied.
First Aid: read thru & annotated most sections 2-3X, memorized pharm section
Robbin's path review: did as many questions as I could, did not finish the whole book
Re-read BRS Path and Phys, taking notes as I went along
Q-bank--100% completed. Not sure if it helped that much.
NBME practice test #1=600. This was the most helpful of the practice tests
Took off 2 entire days before the test
I am sure I did a few more things here and there, but for the most part this is how I studied. I am happy with my score, although according to the NBME practice set I should have done a little better. But, it is a totally different experience taking that monster at the testing center, and not the practice one in the comfort of your own home.
Hope this helps!

Yes, everyone I know in DO world here got their scores released today!! The unfortunate thing though is that our school is not set up to check our scores. So, we get to wait until probably Saturday, Monday, or worst case 1 week to get scores back.!!! But at least we know its over.

qbank: 78% -- one time through, did between 75-80 % on the last set of questions with one 92%.
IV qbank: 85% --- one time through
qbank full length practice exam: 75%
NBME free 150 q's: 83%
NBME paid: 700, 710
MCAT: 29
Step I: 253

Read first Aid, did high yield series, q book and NMS questions. Also did big robbins path and little robbins question book.

interestin how NBME assessment scores is really correlatin with real deal for everyone!

step 1: 230
Q Bank: approximately 70% overall, random questions
150 free questions: 78%
Kaplan CD Rom: 64% (This was hard)
MCAT: 28

How I studied: Frankly, I didn't think FA helped as much as others feel it helped them. Trudging through Robbins during my second year and doing many Robbins Review questions was probably the most effective method. I did LOTS of problems, mostly QBank but some BSS as well.

here's my breakdown
MCAT: 35
Kaplan Q bank: 83%
IV Q Bank: didn't bother with it
Step 1: 265/99

first off, i used a "systems" approach. few books that may not be on everybody's list

1. High Yield Histology (2004 ed) - my exam had about 10-20% cell bio and histo and this book got me through it. it is not just a cell bio, histo book but a great way of pulling all relevant subjects of a system in one chapter - phys, path, pathophys, and pharm. instead of re-reading brs path or phys, i used this book as a 2nd pass.

2. Pathophys Boards and Wards Step 1 - this book was my bible throughout second year. essentially it is the most high yield information you can get on each system of diseases. reading it through second year made reviewing it for the boards less overwhelming. if not to your liking, i recommend borrowing the book and xeroxing the page on HEADACHES as every examiner will get at least 3-5 questions on such an obscure and untaught topic.

3. UCV - Biochem, Microbio Vol I, II, and Anatomy. these books help you picture

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask Q's and good luck to all. :cool:

step 1: 253
Q Bank: 75% (60%-88%) random
150 free questions: 81% at center 1 week b/4 exam
kaplan simulated: 74%
NBME paid: 640(5 days b/4 exam), 700 (day b/4 exam)

FA, BRS Path/physio only

I'm a 4th year, so I'm not reporting my score (which is nowhere NEAR this good), but someone at my school just got a 268. Damn! I didn't know the numbers went that high!

(no idea who it was; someone called into the Student Affairs Office to tell them)

Step 1 score: 243
NBME test 1: 590 4 days before
NBME test 2: 600 3 days before
MCAT: 26
NBME free ?s: 83% day before
QBank: towards the end, low 70s, but during middle high 60s

I described how I studied when I reported it in my exam experience thread (do a search :D )

Thanks for all the advice guys!! love ya'll :love:

For those of you who got your scores today, did your status change on your NBME account? Mine still isn't listing a date for the score release.

did you guys get your score in the mail or did you call your school today? Just wondering because I got nil today :scared: the anxiety is killing me

Hmm, my status changed as of today... but nothing in the mail. i dont think my school tells scores over the phone (just whether you passed or failed)

my status changed today so i know its on the way. gonna have to wait a few more days till I get my scores :scared:

246. I am stoked, but there will always be a what-if cloud hanging over me because of the rate in which I finished the exam (and potentially missed some key info in the questions).

What I used:
BRS Path -5 days
BRS Physio-5 days
FA Biochem/HY Biochem-3 days
HY/FA Behavior- 1.5 days
HY/FA Neuro-2 days
HY/FA Gross-2 days
HY/FA Immuno-1 day
FA Embryo/Cell-1 day
FA Pharm-4 days
FA Micro/MMRS-4 days
Reviewed for 3 days before the exam (went through FA).
1 day off during study, 1/2 day off before exam

Annotated FA with the other sources listed above.
Reviewed during the day, did anywhere from 50-150 Q bank questions each night (Random, 50 block questions, avg 74%, the last week I was consistently in the mid-80s). Also used Robbins question book, and did questions in areas that I thought I was weak on. Took the NBME free exam the week before (83%). Took NBME A assessment 2 days before (680).
If you take Path seriously during the school year you will do fine, as it forces you to do a lot of integration, and ultimately, review the material from first year. I felt that I was weak in a lot of first year subjects, but it turned out not to hurt me as much as I thought it would.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help, and congrats to everyone on their scores. Good luck on the wards.

PS- For those still waiting, our dean emailed our scores to us, so I suspect it will be a few days before I get a hard copy.

All of these scores are wonderful!!! Congratulations to all!!!

Congratulations to all on your Step 1 scores! Looks like SDN is full of crazy smart people!

Wow, all of you guys rock! I only hope that when mine come in, they're remotely similar to yours!

Oh and by the way, are you all talking about "score report date" on the NBME homepage? If so, mine is still blank also and don't think I'll be hearing anything directly from my school. Well, hopefully it'll update soon!

Our registrar posted our scores on our webpage for grades, so I was glad that I found out as soon as the scores came in. I just wanted to add one more thing regarding studying for the step I. In my opinion, no amount of cramming 6 weeks before the test can replace trying your hardest to learn as much material as possible during 2nd year. Even though you'll forget it again by the time you begin your boards study, it will come back much faster & you'll retain the info better.

congratulations, everyone, on such great scores! :D

Here's my info for future correlations. Thanks to everyone on SDN for all their great posts!

MCAT: 37
QBank: Finished it no repeats with an 80% (Hated every minute of it!!)
NBME Basic science shelf exam taken at the end of 2nd year: 233
NBME self assesments: 610 Part A taken after final exams
730 Part B taken 2 days for the exam

Step 1 score: 263/99

Books used: I found BRS PATH abd BRS to be the #1 most helpful resource for the step, besides studying hard in the first two years (no secret to that one)

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

In the interest of not scaring the mere mortals among my fellow medical students:

MCAT: 32
STEP 1: 229
Preparation: 4-5 weeks of solid studying using mostly FA and the usual
review books. I think my score is average or a little above. It's
very hard to get a perspective on this, and somehow I assume
typical reported scores here don't represent the real spread of
actual exam results.

lotanna said:
The SDN average must be like at least 1 SD above the mean, could it be due to the wonderful resources available here? :D
Or only people with really great scores are willing to post them.

Used first aid my whole 2nd year and went through it two times during board prep.

Robbin's Q book during path course all year

BRS path during path course and during board prep.

BRS behavioral during board prep.

BRS physio during course and referenced it during review.

studied for 3 weeks after finals 6 days a week from 8-5.

Qbank randomized one time through 73%.

MCAT 30

STEP 1 241

congrats to everyone.

later

So what was the average and the standard deviation. I have heard it changes from score report to report based on the number of tests that were graded that week. Is that true? Also if you are 1 std. deviation above does it mean that you are in the 84th percentile? and 2 std. deviation in the 95th percentile?

USMLE: 243
QBANK: 70%, not random at all
NBME: 530 1st test (2 weeks out), 560 2nd test (1 week out)
Study methods: don't remember, blacked out that period of my life. Vaguely remember studying my ass off since spring break. Really don't remember what was on the actual test, but apparently it went alright for me.

I was just wondering, for people who got scores <230 what were your nmbe scores. I didn't break 500 when i took it so i am hoping for some good news or at least hope to break 220. By the way what was the average and SD?

Mac O. Phage said:
I was just wondering, for people who got scores <230 what were your nmbe scores. I didn't break 500 when i took it so i am hoping for some good news or at least hope to break 220. By the way what was the average and SD?

I second this. Please post your scores! I'm quite interested since I scored a 440 on the first NBME assessment (without really having studied yet), and my 440 ultimately led me to take extra time off so that I could put more time into studying for step one.

Please help a fellow sdn'er out :D

daisygirl said:
I second this. Please post your scores! I'm quite interested since I scored a 440 on the first NBME assessment (without really having studied yet), and my 440 ultimately led me to take extra time off so that I could put more time into studying for step one.

Please help a fellow sdn'er out :D
Good to know there is someone out there like me, daisy girl. I got a 440 too on the first assessment and postponed step one to study more.

How is this.... I called my school and they said they wouldnt email or give scores out unless we showed up in person. all they said was that I passed... I need to know a score!!

Rod Farva said:
USMLE: 243
QBANK: 70%, not random at all
NBME: 530 1st test (2 weeks out), 560 2nd test (1 week out)
Study methods: don't remember, blacked out that period of my life. Vaguely remember studying my ass off since spring break. Really don't remember what was on the actual test, but apparently it went alright for me.

Rod, congratulations!

Mac O. Phage said:
Good to know there is someone out there like me, daisy girl. I got a 440 too on the first assessment and postponed step one to study more.

You are definitely not alone :D . Are we alone though :confused: .
When are you taking step one? Did you do another assessment yet? I'm going to redo the first assessment in about two weeks. I'm hoping my score will change after having put some time into studying :smuggrin: