OFFICIAL STEP I Results thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured in honor of those who have gotten their scores back it would be interesting to create a single thread which could be used in the future.

Please post how you did on Q-bank (please differentiate between how your last 8-10 blocks went) and/or your final average.

How you did on NBME

Finally, your board score

Also if you want to add your study hints do that too.

Members don't see this ad.

I am transferring schools from Nova Osteopathic to LSU-NO for family reasons and I am very pleased with my pass.

I got a 216/88.
MCAT (4 times) 24Q,24R,24R, 28R -I know who takes the test 4 times
QBANK: 68 % one time through, random
Kaplan pre-test: 58 % five weeks prior
Kaplan Simulated exam ( one week prior) 73 %
NBME A: 460 2 weeks prior

Also, I freaked out about two days before the test. My wife and I bought a house in the new city and all of the sudden the pressure hit me. Also, we had fire alarms going off at my house at 3:00 until 4:00 am before the test.

I would like to thank the good lord because if it was not for his graces, I would not be here today. I would also like to thank bigfrank, idio, jalby and the rest of the SDNers. I checked this board everyday and it helped me keep my sanity.

Good luck all,

Dom
M3 LSU-NO(officially..finally)

Just got my scores 1 hour ago.

QBANK: 74% 2* through
Kaplan pre-test: 82 % five weeks prior
Kaplan Simulated exam Didn't Finish
NBME A: 680 10 days prior
Nbme B: 630 4 weeks prior

Real Deal = 260/99

I thought during the test that it was way harder that the 2 NBME. I didn't think I got my goal of 230. Off to celebrate. Best of luck to all.

God bless.

What a weird feeling....I passed but I'm not exactly thrilled with my score (220). I thought the test wasn't particularly hard, and I walked out with a pretty good feeling...I was thinking I'd at least break the 230 mark. :(

Anyway, my stats:
--Studied for three months (last month hardcore)
--Q-bank --> did around 90% of the questions, ranged from 60-79% (randomized)
--MCAT score (for what it's worth) --> 35

Members don't see this ad :)
258/99 on the real thing.

Qbank once through over 3-4 weeks, I think my final average was 71%.
Step I released items--86%
Didn't do any other tests
Studied about 5 weeks total

Medicane that is the same feeling I had walking out of the exam, maybe I was freakin excited to just get the whole 2 yrs over with who knows?
I was hoping for over 220 but I am happy with my score none the less.
217/88

scholes said:
I am in the Midwest and got my score in the mail today. Mailed from Philadelphia, so western coast should expect their scores monday.

My read out said...

Range: 144-288
Mean: 221
SD: 21

Therefore 242 would be 84th percentile. 263 would be 97th percentile.

Someone got a 288?!?! Holy cow!

--Vinoy

For what its worth:

MCAT: 33
Q-bank: 75%
NBME: Did not take the tests
CBSE: 202 in March
Step 1 : 240/97

Prep: BRS path, BRS phys, FA (for anatomy, pharm and biochem), BRS psych, Micro ridiculously simple. For questions: Robbins review, Qbank, and occasional webpath.

Good luck and congrats to everyone else. :)

U smelly:223/90
Mcat: 30 (12:9:9) v:b: ps
usmle fake 150: 75% two weeks prior
qbank: 65%
kaplan diagnostic way back in april: 50%

Kaplan : Barone Rocks!
FA: most of it ;)

I'm bad at taking tests and took 3 zantac before the test started, nearly heaved but made it through!!!

Congrats to all!!!

anyone have thoughts on what a 223/90 will get you?

shorrin said:
U smelly:223/90
Mcat: 30 (12:9:9)

Kaplan : Barone Rocks!
FA: most of it ;)

I'm bad at taking tests and took about 3 zantac before the test started, nearly heaved but made it though!!!

Congrats to all!!!

Thanks for posting! The rest of you guys who dont think thier score is "good enough" to post, resist the urge to remain silent. Help us get some decent statistics so that this thread is useful for the next bunch of SDNers who have to take step 1.

Legion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Legion560 said:
Thanks for posting! The rest of you guys who dont think thier score is "good enough" to post, resist the urge to remain silent. Help us get some decent statistics so that this thread is useful for the next bunch of SDNers who have to take step 1.

Legion.

yes..please post your score no matter what it is. If you really must make up a different name and post the score, nobody will know its you. Help us get some decent statistics out.

By the way..from all the posts so far the correlation between the NBME exams and the real thing is amazing. When plotted the points all bunch around the trendline which is very stong (r-square=.76). The MCAT is very weakly correlated. The points are all over the place and the r-squared is .22 The Qbank average plot is somewhat scattered also but not as bad as the MCAT one.

If anyone knows how to post pics on here lemme know and I'll put up the actual plots.

My scores: MCAT 18
USMLE: 220/90

MCAT = excellent predictor....right???

got my scores is the mail today 7/19 (in CA), they were sent on 07/14, the usps was really slow.

MCAT: 38 (14,14,10)
QBANK: 88%
released items: 93%
NBME assessment: didn't do it, I was too broke
USMLE: 269

I would say everything coorleated positively. Go Jalby! I love you man.

ASX said:
got my scores is the mail today 7/19 (in CA), they were sent on 07/14, the usps was really slow.

Way to go on that score. Second 269 I know of. Anyone heard of a 270+

ASX said:

Congratulations!!! Nice job!!!

I got 204/84

Q-bank: 66% cumulative without repeats
NBME released: 75% at middle point of studies
NBME purchased: 490 and 510 (two wks out and 3 days out respectively)

My actual exam was heavy on genetics (I'd say 25-30%) and that was the only topic I "failed." Did well on the traditional path, biochem, etc. but didn't have as much of it as I thought I would/should have. Unlucky??? I don't know...maybe?

Waiting for COMLEX results - a lot less genetics on that one (if any), which could only be a good thing for my score!!! :)

keep 'em coming, folks! also, it would be especially helpful if you could post other relevant stats -- nbme self assessments, released items, qbank, etc.

thanks and congrats again to everyone who has slain the beast, regardless of your score.

Hey everyone,

I've been a silent observer of this forum for a while. I just received my score, so I thought that I?d post a few stats and some tips.

MCAT ? 25
Qbank ? 76%
Released items ? 78%
Blackwell ? 80%
NBME Form A ? 660
NBME Form B ? 620

USMLE Step 1 Score: 240/97

Tips:
1) The USMLE tests general concepts thoroughly, so the best advice that I can give you (which has already been stated) is to prepare well throughout the first and second year of medical school. Cramming everything into the last 1 or 2 or even 3 months will not cut it. You NEED to build a knowledgeable foundation of disease processes from the start.
2) Visit this and other similar type of forums to get advice from other people and read about their experiences.
3) 2 bibles for the Step 1: BRS Pathology (I read it 5 times) and First Aid (I read it 3 times). I memorized most of the details in these two books plus all my annotations.
4) Physiology is a big part of the exam. It?s all about understanding the concepts. I would say there?s no one best book for physiology. I used Kaplan and BRS.
5) PRACTICE QUESTIONS PRACTICE QUESTIONS PRACTICE QUESTIONS => the key to doing well ??
6)Finally, relax during the test. I got so stressed out during my first block, I couldn't think. Luckily, I was able to relax for the others.
7)Good Luck future doctors!!!!

USMLE: 233/94
MCAT:30
NBME:500/510
Q-Bank:62%
NBME Basic Science Shelf:75 or 76 I can't remmember

Step I: 264/99
NBME Assessment: 690
Q-bank: 82%
med school: straight honors 2nd year for subjects for which we had H/P/F (some subjects were P/F like clinical practice), did only slightly above average 1st year and not for lack of trying

The correlation between my performance on the NBME assessment and my actual Step I score was almost 1 to 1. When I did the calculation using z-scores and means for both tests I remember coming up with 263 as my predicted score.

I put together a pretty long post after taking my test, which can be found by clicking on my username on the left and then clicking on "find more posts."

I wouldn't change anything that I said there other than to reiterate that the test is largely about general principles. You gotta use the ole' noggin up there. Most of the material tested concerned common subjects, even if was presented at times in strange garb. Only 5-10% of the questions were about straight-out weird or esoteric topics. And there was very little minutiae, which is why it maddened me that I had memorized so much bullcrap from First Aid (HLA this and that, chromosome associations, metabolic details up the ying-yang; this stuff probably does show up on some exam versions, but it is super-fricken low yield). If you read my former post, I talk about flipping through First Aid on my subway ride, and it being useless. Random details meant little that day.

Idiopathic said:
you all know that I love each and every one of you.

edit: and i was :thumbup: to you and :laugh: to the predictive power of the MCAT, by the way. Just in case you were too filled with rage to see that.

I thought your point was benign and obviously well-meaning.

We all love you, Idio!

MCAT: 34R
Kaplan Q-Bank: 80% (random, no repeats)
Kaplan Full-length CD: 78% (2 weeks prior)
Released Items: 93% (1 day prior to test)
NBME Assessment: didn't take

USMLE Step 1: 261/99

Used all the same resources as everyone here (FA, BRS, Kaplan, Goljan, etc.), but I truly believe a big part of this score is due to the advice posted on this website, esp. by guys such as Jalby, BigFrank, Idiopathic, Stinger, etc.

Cheers

silentobserver said:
Hey everyone,

I've been a silent observer of this forum for a while. I just received my score, so I thought that I?d post a few stats and some tips.

MCAT ? 25
Qbank ? 76%
Released items ? 78%
Blackwell ? 80%
NBME Form A ? 660
NBME Form B ? 620

USMLE Step 1 Score: 240/97

Tips:
1) The USMLE tests general concepts thoroughly, so the best advice that I can give you (which has already been stated) is to prepare well throughout the first and second year of medical school. Cramming everything into the last 1 or 2 or even 3 months will not cut it. You NEED to build a knowledgeable foundation of disease processes from the start.
2) Visit this and other similar type of forums to get advice from other people and read about their experiences.
3) 2 bibles for the Step 1: BRS Pathology (I read it 5 times) and First Aid (I read it 3 times). I memorized most of the details in these two books plus all my annotations.
4) Physiology is a big part of the exam. It?s all about understanding the concepts. I would say there?s no one best book for physiology. I used Kaplan and BRS.
5) PRACTICE QUESTIONS PRACTICE QUESTIONS PRACTICE QUESTIONS => the key to doing well ??
6)Finally, relax during the test. I got so stressed out during my first block, I couldn't think. Luckily, I was able to relax for the others.
7)Good Luck future doctors!!!!

WOW Congrats!!! So much for the whole MCAT concept, u did great!! Very impresssive :thumbup:

Got my scores yesterday...

Comp. Basic Sci. Shelf: 83 (in April)

NBME:
I: 690 4 weeks prior
II: 780 1 week prior
Kaplan Online test 83%
Released Items 88% day before
Night before: 1 hour sleep
Step I: 268/99

Radiohead said:

NBME:
Kaplan Online test 83%

Wow, I knew this was coming. I guess with all the huge scores being posted, someone was going to have a higher score than BigFrank. j/k ;)
There are so many amazing scores on this post.
So how did you study, Radiohead, and what did you think of the test when you took it?

Radiohead said:

NBME:
Kaplan Online test 83%

Well done, SUPER CONGRATULATIONS, AND GO PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I will post my scores

Qbank: 86% random
USMLE: 272/99

I'm going to Disneyland!!!!!! Woooooowhoooooooo

Actually, I'm going to Dermatologyland :laugh:

Thanks to everyone for all of their advice...especially Idiopathic and B-Frankie.

Peace

unc12 said:

Thanks to everyone for all of their advice...especially Idiopathic and B-Frankie.

Peace

THESE SCORES ARE JUST ABSURD!!! I hope posting on this forum will give me good karma for next year's exam.
272... thats the highest score I have ever heard of an actual person getting. I know you all must be very proud.

unc12 said:

Peace

WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's hear it for the DO's! Making a very impressive showing here!!!

UNC12,

HOLY ****! Congratulations!! THAT IS FREAKING INSANE!!

So, where are you going to residency? You'll have no problem getting in wherever you choose....

again, congratulations!

jd

unc12 said:

Peace

F*cking brilliant!! If you can spare the time, some advice on how best to prepare? Thanks. :)

--Vinoy

unc12 said:

Peace

WOW!!! CONGRATS!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats crazy!!!!!!!! I hope all of y'alls karma falls on me!!!
What resources did u use? I noticed u used Goljan.

unc12 said:

Peace

Pure insanity. I have heard of one other 272. Congratulations.

I used Goljan (audio + rapid review path), FA, Qbank + a ton of other ?'s, and the advice from everyone on this board. Listen to them they know what they are talking about.

unc12 said:

Peace

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaadies and Gentlemen...the neeeeeew heavy weeeeeeeeight champion of the USMLE U-N-C-12.......(crowd goes wild)

That is amazing. I was wondering if I was ever gonna hear of someone breaking the 270 limit. Congrats!

i got 200 on the usmle. don't know where this is gonna get me...i spoke to some people who told me this was a fantastic score, and then i came here and it doesn't look that fantastic anymore.

i'm not gonna mention what i used to study, because would you really wanna know?

as for mcats, i got 31 on them (V10, B10, P11)...so i guess i got stupider as the years went by :oops:

congrats to all!

that is a great score. You should be proud. It also is hard to post scores under 240 on this website, I know, my score is way less than 240 (216). Do not be intimidated by big frank and the others, they do not want you to be intimitated. Remember this is for informational purposes only. No one should be bragging or thinking they are smarter. We will all be doctors in two years.

Also, everyone who reads these posts is looking for a little advice, so you should still put up what you studied.