NYMC vs Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding between the two.

Cost Estimates:
Tuition:
NYMC: $46,500 * 4 = 186,000
Toledo: $61,800 + 3*31,400 = 156,000
Cost of living in NY is also higher

Feel: Both schools seem to have tightly-knit student bodies that are willing to help each other. I would feel comfortable in both schools.

Location: NYMC is a short ride away from Manhattan while Toledo's location isn't so awesome.

Academics: Both schools are similarly ranked (not top) and seem to have helpful professors.

Both Schools have their pros and cons. Toledo will save me a ton of money and limit my debt. New York is a much more attractive location. Ultimately, I want to return to California for residency and NYMC might have the edge on that. I would love to hear the opinions of anyone attending either school or anyone that has knowledge of this sort of stuff!

Members don't see this ad.

Cost Estimates:
Tuition:

Feel: Both schools seem to have tightly-knit student bodies that are willing to help each other. I would feel comfortable in both schools.

Location: NYMC is a short ride away from Manhattan while Toledo's location isn't so awesome.

Academics: Both schools are similarly ranked (not top) and seem to have helpful professors.

Both Schools have their pros and cons. Toledo will save me a ton of money and limit my debt. New York is a much more attractive location. Ultimately, I want to return to California for residency and NYMC might have the edge on that. I would love to hear the opinions of anyone attending either school or anyone that has knowledge of this sort of stuff!

i doubt you will be spending much time in manhattan- it takes time to get there and you probably will be spending quite some time studying daily so it would not be worthwhile to waste time on the commute.
both places are similarly not ranked by usnews, i doubt there is much difference if any for residency placement (and would not know which would be better for residency even if there was a difference).

if you really have no preference between the student bodies, i would say it would boil down to the rare times you could go to manhatten vs the cost of being able to go there (would you be willing to pay the cost difference to be able to occasionally go to manhattan?).

Cost Estimates:
Tuition:

Congrats on you acceptances!
From what I understand, you want to end up in California, thus you should choose the school that will increase your chances. Both will give you a good education.
The way I see it, 20 years from now, that extra 30,000 will not make a difference, you will be making that ten fold. (Maybe more maybe less, but it wont hold you back financially in the future).
What will make a difference is where you end up in residency, so whatever school will give you a greater chance of ending up in California, seems like it would be the school for you.

As you said, both NYMC and Toledo have their positives and negatives. NYMC has a better location, and a better chance of gaining a California residency. Toledo costs slightly less. From what I gathered, seems like you want to go to NYMC... which school will make you happier in the future?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say stick with Toledo. Don't forget that for most med schools the tuition isn't locked in when you matriculate, and with tuition going up every year, you can expect to be in more debt.

I'd say stick with Toledo. Don't forget that for most med schools the tuition isn't locked in when you matriculate, and with tuition going up every year, you can expect to be in more debt.

I disagree, I think NYMC is a much better school. Its ranked higher, and is in a safer, better location. OP wanted to go end up in cali, NYMC has an edge on that.
tuition increases or tuition in general should never be the determining factor when deciding between med schools.
This is the school that will represent you for the rest of your career. You want to go to a better more established school. NYMC is the best choice for the OP.

NYMC all the way!

There is plenty of time to have fun during medical school too.
Even if it is just for like a day or so.

Manhattan vs toledo... no contest.

Also I don't know where this misconception came from that while at NYMC there is little time to go to Manhattan. 1st yr I went on average twice every 3 wks (both nights in a weekend if there were no tests immediately coming up and 1 night or no nights if it was a studying wk.) 2nd yr I went 1-2 a wk bc tests were more spread out. Hardly a "rare" occasion.

I disagree, I think NYMC is a much better school. Its ranked higher, and is in a safer, better location. OP wanted to go end up in cali, NYMC has an edge on that.
tuition increases or tuition in general should never be the determining factor when deciding between med schools.
This is the school that will represent you for the rest of your career. You want to go to a better more established school. NYMC is the best choice for the OP.

just curious, where do you see that it is ranked higher? looking on usnews i see both of them being unranked.

also, on a side note, interestingly i have been told that it is the residency that represents you.
its like the main thing that matters is what's immediately preceding, high school matters for college, which matters for med school, which matters for residency, which matters for your final job.

Congrats on you acceptances!
The way I see it, 20 years from now, that extra 30,000 will not make a difference, you will be making that ten fold. (Maybe more maybe less, but it wont hold you back financially in the future).
lol, the problem is that while the 30k will mean almost nothing to you in 20 years from now, it means a lot more to you right now.

its like as a kid a few dollars meant a lot because it got you what you wanted/needed, as you grew up what "meant something" steadily rose.
so even without the whole cost of living/inflation problem, 30k now is probably worth a lot more to you now that 100k will be worth to you in 20 years from now- as one may need the 30k now while the 100k will simply be in savings 20 years from now.

youth is wasted on the young, money is wasted on the old :rolleyes:

Also I don't know where this misconception came from that while at NYMC there is little time to go to Manhattan. 1st yr I went on average twice every 3 wks (both nights in a weekend if there were no tests immediately coming up and 1 night or no nights if it was a studying wk.) 2nd yr I went 1-2 a wk bc tests were more spread out. Hardly a "rare" occasion.

good to know.
i was told by a NYMC student that it was just not worth the time for him- and that those that really wanted to go to the city usually waited to request that the last 2 years be on rotations in hospitals in the city (which I believe used to be possible, though with St Vincents just closed who knows what will happen)

I think either school would be an excellent choice, but if it was me I'd choose Toledo. From my experience at NYMC, being able to go into Manhattan is a rare occurrence that usually only happens after a major test and even then most of the class goes out in white plains. Also, with the recent merger with Tuoro there is much greater uncertainty with what the direction of the school will be. For these reasons, and the significant financial differences, Toledo seems like the better choice.

I am a MS2 at NYMC, and I absolutely love it here. I was in OP's position 2 years ago with another school, and im very happy I chose NYMC. The professors here are more than willing to help you out with pretty much anything. getting 1 on 1 time with the professors is a breeze. The student body here is amazing. All of us know each other, and were pretty tight with each other. Everyone is willing to help everyone. I absolutely love the environment.
And just to cut the rumors, I go to Manhattan once or twice literally every week.
Choosing NYMC is the BEST decision I ever made.
OP if you have any questions lmk. I promise you, you will LOVE it here.

good to know.
i was told by a NYMC student that it was just not worth the time for him- and that those that really wanted to go to the city usually waited to request that the last 2 years be on rotations in hospitals in the city (which I believe used to be possible, though with St Vincents just closed who knows what will happen)

The St. Vincent's thing was a long time ago. Even after that people were still able to move to the city. That's going to be easier since since NYMC is now affiliated with Lennox Hill in addition to Metropolitan.

Status
Not open for further replies.