2019-2020 Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Whoa, so we could be the first class to take step 1 pass/fail, unless they make the change fast enough for current MS1's.

They said the change would happen earliest of Jan 2022, so us or the class after will likely be the first

@cbenet @doggie1659 @Miracle_Max wondering if you guys were interested in “more competitive”’specialties and if you guys were feeling ok about applying from Toledo if step was to become PF for you?

There are thoughts that being from a non-Top20 school and applying with a PF Step score would make it difficult to get a top residency and I was just wondering if you guys are happy with Toledo. I don’t want to offend, I’m genuinely curious as I am trying to make my school list and Toledo was one of my very top choices until this news came out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
@cbenet @doggie1659 @Miracle_Max wondering if you guys were interested in “more competitive”’specialties and if you guys were feeling ok about applying from Toledo if step was to become PF for you?

There are thoughts that being from a non-Top20 school and applying with a PF Step score would make it difficult to get a top residency and I was just wondering if you guys are happy with Toledo. I don’t want to offend, I’m genuinely curious as I am trying to make my school list and Toledo was one of my very top choices until this news came out.

Honestly, I probably have a unique opinion compared to many others, so know that my thoughts may be different from how you may apply.

To preface, I want to become a psychiatrist, so in short, I am aiming for a not so competitive specialty, and that may allow me to have these views easier than if I wanted to match into a competitive specialty.

When applying to medical schools, I put a large emphasis on what school/place would make me happy and enjoy my time in medical school. I personally don't like that many students and potentially adcoms put an emphasis on ranking and prestige of a school. I understand that it can be helpful if you want to be a world-renowned physician in your field, but in order to become the best physician that I can be, I need to be happy and well educated. If I had to choose between the arguably worst MD school (that is not on accreditation probation or anything) or the best MD school, I honestly would probably pick the lower ranked school if I felt more at home and happy there. At the end of the day, my patients aren't going to ask where I went to medical school. I think prestige of the school shouldn't be factored in at all because it doesn't say anything about a particular student and their work ethic or ability to succeed. I truly believe this, so I didn't necessarily factor that into my decision, but I do not judge those who do because adcoms may hold weight to rank. I know that everything will work out as it is meant to.

TLDR: My choice or happiness about choosing Toledo for my medical school hasn't changed at all with the news about Step 1. I determine how good of a doctor I will be, not the ranking of my school, and I believe that I will end up where I am supposed to end up.

Reactions: 1 users

I wasn't tagged in this but wanted to chime in. Toledo has home departments for many residency programs (anesthesiology, EM, FM, IM, neurology, obgyn, ortho, path, peds, pm&r, psych, rads, gen surg, uro) which is advantageous because you will have mentors and research available to you. Honestly, outside of the t20s, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make. Toledo has 18 mo preclinical which is now in our/your favor because step 2 will likely become the new bench mark (just speculation). In summary, Toledo offers an accelerated preclin curriculum so you can take step 2 earlier, has research opportunities, and has a solid reputation in the area. I would def still apply if they're one of your top choices

Reactions: 3 users
I wasn't tagged in this but wanted to chime in. Toledo has home departments for many residency programs (anesthesiology, EM, FM, IM, neurology, obgyn, ortho, path, peds, pm&r, psych, rads, gen surg, uro) which is advantageous because you will have mentors and research available to you. Honestly, outside of the t20s, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make. Toledo has 18 mo preclinical which is now in our/your favor because step 2 will likely become the new bench mark (just speculation). In summary, Toledo offers an accelerated preclin curriculum so you can take step 2 earlier, has research opportunities, and has a solid reputation in the area. I would def still apply if they're one of your top choices
Yes, I think the schools that will be affected by this the most are those without home programs where a student can research and build connections in their desired field.

Reactions: 1 users

This made me feel much much better I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out :) hope everything works out for you!

I have no idea what is going to happen when pass/fail Step1 takers start applying for residency. Will program directors at competitive programs just grab as many people from top schools as they can? Will they look at an MD candidate with a pass and compare it unfavorably to a DO candidate who absolutely crushed their COMLEX (i think that's what it is called). Will medical schools pressure their residency program direcctors to accept as many students from their medical school as possible to make sure they keep their match rates up? No idea.

What I think is that many of the things that Toledo does/has that makes an applicant competitive now, will possibly be even more important in the new pass/fail world order. Research opportunities are abundant, lots of early clinical skills and rotations, and most importantly, lots of their own competitive residency programs. I think under the new world order, it will be the Harvard (and other big name) grads that get first choice in competitive residencies, followed by students that have a good mix of Step2 score, pubs, AOA, and letters from well known people in the field. Schools that do not have local residency programs are really at a disadvantage here.

In short, your ranking for medical schools don't change. If you get into Harvard, you go to Harvard. If you get into Toledo, you will be fine, and probably way better off than many other MD schools out there. No idea what happens to DOs that have a killer COMLEX score.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what is going to happen when pass/fail Step1 takers start applying for residency. Will program directors at competitive programs just grab as many people from top schools as they can? Will they look at an MD candidate with a pass and compare it unfavorably to a DO candidate who absolutely crushed their COMLEX (i think that's what it is called). Will medical schools pressure their residency program direcctors to accept as many students from their medical school as possible to make sure they keep their match rates up? No idea.

What I think is that many of the things that Toledo does/has that makes an applicant competitive now, will possibly be even more important in the new pass/fail world order. Research opportunities are abundant, lots of early clinical skills and rotations, and most importantly, lots of their own competitive residency programs. I think under the new world order, it will be the Harvard (and other big name) grads that get first choice in competitive residencies, followed by students that have a good mix of Step2 score, pubs, AOA, and letters from well known people in the field. Schools that do not have local residency programs are really at a disadvantage here.

In short, your ranking for medical schools don't change. If you get into Harvard, you go to Harvard. If you get into Toledo, you will be fine, and probably way better off than many other MD schools out there. No idea what happens to DOs that have a killer COMLEX score.

As always, @Miracle_Max giving us the real talk. Always appreciated my friend. Hope to buy you a beer one day if it goes well with Toledo for me.

I know that UT has a lot of options for research, but does anyone know where I can find specific labs with openings/opportunities for medical students? I have such a hard time navigating UT's website

I know that UT has a lot of options for research, but does anyone know where I can find specific labs with openings/opportunities for medical students? I have such a hard time navigating UT's website

One of the goals of the medical student council is to have a online site that lists all active researchers at the UTCOMLS. Will be able to search by department, clinical/basic science, looking for med students, can pay you, etc etc. I have seen websites with this functionality just about everywhere else except Toledo. We were just given server space, and I have a team putting the site together. Goal is to have a working site by June, break it by July, and have it actually working by August when M1s roll in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to activate their UTAD account?

You can activate it at this link -- New UTAD Account

Find your Rocket ID on your acceptance page.

View attachment 295676

Enter your Rocket ID and birthday.

View attachment 295675

If that's not working for you, you should probably contact the school.

Also, thanks for compiling all that data!! I've been meaning to tell you that.
Thank you! I did that and it's still not working... and hasn't been since November unfortunately. I'm somehow not in their system because I contacted them before about it.

One of the goals of the medical student council is to have a online site that lists all active researchers at the UTCOMLS. Will be able to search by department, clinical/basic science, looking for med students, can pay you, etc etc. I have seen websites with this functionality just about everywhere else except Toledo. We were just given server space, and I have a team putting the site together. Goal is to have a working site by June, break it by July, and have it actually working by August when M1s roll in.
Y’all are amazing!!! Looking forward to checking it out

Thank you! I did that and it's still not working... and hasn't been since November unfortunately. I'm somehow not in their system because I contacted them before about it.
On the “welcome first year medical students page” it says that they’ll email us when we can activate our accounts. I haven’t been able to either.

Does anyone know anything about second look Saturday? Does everyone who is accepted get invited, or do they only invite specific people? Also, is it worth going to?

Hi everyone, can someone please help me in my confused state?

So when accepting my acceptance offer, it states:
"by April 30, 2020 I will select The University of Toledo medical school as the one I plan to attend in accordance with Protocol 9 of the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants. By selecting "Plan to Enroll," I am making a choice about the school at which I plan to enroll, and will withdraw from my other acceptances, and hold only one acceptance."

What does this mean exactly? I know that by April 30th we're supposed to narrow our acceptances down to one, but in the contract that we're signing it states that "I will select The University of Toledo medical school as the one I plan to attend." I am currently still waiting on other schools at the moment and this is not my top choice, but I still have to accept this offer as a back-up...
Basically, my question is: if I do accept this offer now and gain acceptance to my top choice by mid-April or mid-May, am I allowed to change my selection on the AMCAS Plan to Enroll tool? How does this tool work exactly? And will other medical schools (that have waitlisted me or yet to give me a decision) know of my accepted status at Toledo?
Will appreciate any help and clarification.

Thank you tons!

"by April 30, 2020 I will select The University of Toledo medical school as the one I plan to attend in accordance with Protocol 9 of the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants. By selecting "Plan to Enroll," I am making a choice about the school at which I plan to enroll, and will withdraw from my other acceptances, and hold only one acceptance."

What does this mean exactly? I know that by April 30th we're supposed to narrow our acceptances down to one, but in the contract that we're signing it states that "I will select The University of Toledo medical school as the one I plan to attend." I am currently still waiting on other schools at the moment and this is not my top choice, but I still have to accept this offer as a back-up...
Basically, my question is: if I do accept this offer now and gain acceptance to my top choice by mid-April or mid-May, am I allowed to change my selection on the AMCAS Plan to Enroll tool? How does this tool work exactly? And will other medical schools (that have waitlisted me or yet to give me a decision) know of my accepted status at Toledo?

Thank you tons!
I'm fairly certain this is just highlighting the date that it is due. By no means does it mean that you HAVE to choose UTCOM, but if you are choosing it, you have to select Plan to Enroll by that date.

Thank you tons!

Not sure exactly, but when I accepted my offer there was a statement that said something along the lines of "if you make alternate plans for your education you must withdraw from toledo via email" or something - indicating that accepting the offer was non-binding. Correct me if I'm wrong... But I know that starting soon you can select "plan to enroll" on AMCAS and as the cycle moves on "commit to enroll," but you just have to select those by a certain date (from my understanding, not any time soon).

Were you accepted recently? Congrats!!

Email today from admissions stating "Thank you for interviewing with us. We're experiencing some delays in getting final evaluations completed for candidates who interviewed with us for some dates in November and December. I do apologize and want to assure you that the admissions committee will work as quickly as possible while also ensuring the careful, holistic, review of all application files" I am guessing the offers will be extended in the next two weeks. Although this is a very lengthy admission process compared to other schools, it is nice to know that all our essays and EC's we worked so hard on are actually being reviewed extensively.

;TLDR. Still waiting to hear back, but mcat, gpa, and interviews aren't the only factors that Toledo considers in their admission decision.

Email today from admissions stating "Thank you for interviewing with us. We're experiencing some delays in getting final evaluations completed for candidates who interviewed with us for some dates in November and December. I do apologize and want to assure you that the admissions committee will work as quickly as possible while also ensuring the careful, holistic, review of all application files" I am guessing the offers will be extended in the next two weeks. Although this is a very lengthy admission process compared to other schools, it is nice to know that all our essays and EC's we worked so hard on are actually being reviewed extensively.

;TLDR. Still waiting to hear back, but mcat, gpa, and interviews aren't the only factors that Toledo considers in their admission decision.

Can confirm. My research PI is on ADCOMS, and he reads every freaking word of your apps. Other people on ADCOMS I know are equally just as serious and diligent about their job. It leads to them getting behind (last cycle they were quite a few months behind as well), but you can at least know that no one is going to just glance over your app and throw it out because an MCAT section is low or you have a C in o-chem. They are really looking at the over-all package.

I am 5 weeks sooner than you and still nothing :(
Yeah I was not expecting a decision so soon at all haha. I did not even get the email about the delay in decisions that some got earlier this week apparently.

about how long does it take to get approved? Put in a request about a while ago. Thanks in advance
Admissions sends the Medical Student Council a list of accepted applicants every few weeks or so. Once we get the new list we check it against requests to join the group. As long as your name is on the list from admissions, you will be approved sooner or later.

Anyone have laptop suggestions for med school? I'm leaning toward a surface because I want something small and touch screen

has anyone else had success getting their student account activated?
I got mine activated the week of my acceptance, but I also applied here for undergrad, so I think they only had to reactivate my account

Does any med student have laptop recs to possibly get for M1? Someone mentioned that the exams are only compatible with non macs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Does any med student have laptop recs to possibly get for M1? Someone mentioned that the exams are only compatible with non macs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
According to current students this is not true, and exams do work with macs.

Current med student here: Exams are compatible with macs/pcs/surfaces though not with Ipads. There are laptops you can rent from the school if you choose to become Ipad based/ your laptop breaks.

Ideally you're going to want to be able to annotate .ppts so an ipad/touchscreen is ideal. Can also get a usb drawing pad and that works great too

Good luck to all those waiting and can't wait to see you all at 2nd look!

Anyone have laptop suggestions for med school? I'm leaning toward a surface because I want something small and touch screen

Exams are through ExamSoft which works on BOTH Macbooks and Windows 7-10 based laptops. iPads for whatever reason do NOT work with our examsoft tests.
The class is probably 50/50 or 60/40 split between mac and PC. I'm a PC person myself and use both a Matebook X Pro 2018 (overkill for medschool, but I use it extensively for research stuff) along with a Surface Pro 6 (which I either use as a stand-alone tablet, or wirelessly connect as a second monitor to my laptop) both running WIN10 Pro. Many students use a laptop-tablet combo like me, either PC based or Mac/iPad. I'm happy to answer any questions about my gear or general gear questions for school if you have any, but I know nothing about Apple stuff.

I see LOTS of Macbooks, Surface Pros (like what I have), a few Surface books / laptops, HPs, ASUS, a dell or two. Pretty much anything works. If you are going to buy something, I HIGHLY recommend considering something that you can comfortably write with a stylus on, or get an external drawing pad or something. While this is not necessary, it's SUPER handy. If you don't want to use a laptop or buy something new, that works too. The school has laptops you can use for exams. One of the guys in our class still handwrites all his notes in notebooks. He does just fine. I don't think anyone prints off slides and takes notes on those. Would just be way too much paper. Do what works for you.

As far as note-taking apps, the majority of the class uses OneNote (free and very good), and just throw lecture slides in there and annotate directly on the lecture slides with our stylus on our tablets. It is incredibly handy for histology lectures where you can circle stuff on slides and write notes. Some hardcore way-cooler-than-me Apple people use Notability (not free, but good). I think I saw one guy stuck in 2008 still using Evernote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any word from November/December interviewees last week? I have a good feeling about next week.
Mid-November interviewee here. I hope it's this week!

11/8 interview here. Anyone get any word yet? This is kind of excruciating.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
11/8 interview here. Anyone get any word yet? This is kind of excruciating.
Nothing yet. I'm one week later than you so I feel similar feelings :( I just want to know since this is definitely my top choice.

Nothing yet. I'm one week later than you so I feel similar feelings :( I just want to know since this is definitely my top choice.
Same. Ugh. Hoping the best for everyone. And soon!

I know some of you are (still) waiting to hear back, I'm curious as to whether or not the upcoming March 15th deadline for them to fill their class means some more decisions will come out soon? (hopefully..)