2019-2020 Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any OOS w/ no ties committing to Toledo? I had a great interview day and everyone was really nice, but tbh I can't imagine myself living in that area. I'm a city boy and feel like I'll grow to be super depressed in this area... (no offense to fellow Ohio peeps)

It's fair to say that Toledo isn't the biggest city and it's certainly not the nicest... but the medical school is what you should be considering. I know it's hard to factor out a lot of the other things, but imagine how much time you will be spending on campus, in the library, or studying. This doesn't leave you much time to worry about "the city". I think if this were residency that would be a bigger issue and i'd tell you to go where ever you feel fits your lifestyle more, but for medical school think about which school offers more opportunities for you as a student and for your professional goals.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same (besides the fact that I’m a woman). I had the same concern. I don’t plan to live in Ohio, it’s not for me. However, my main focus is Medical School and UT offers a lot to the students. You can always travel when you have breaks and 4 years flies by quickly. Also, it depends what your other options are.
Right now still waiting on a couple of waitlist positions... But looking at this years match, the majority of students match in somewhere in the midwest... So chances are, I'll grow to be white long after Trump's second term (lol jk jk).
Jokes aside, I do agree with you guys and there's not much time to chill either ways during med school... I guess my main concern is finding my group here. During my first visit here, everyone was very midwesty and seemed like they shoot at gun ranges on their free time, while I like to pop a cold one at the beach... (again no offense to midwest people! ya'll really cool).
I guess the real purpose of this post was to see if there's people like me here and if I'll fit in and find my crowd on a Sat night to hit a local bar?

Reactions: 3 users
Same (besides the fact that I’m a woman). I had the same concern. I don’t plan to live in Ohio, it’s not for me. However, my main focus is Medical School and UT offers a lot to the students. You can always travel when you have breaks and 4 years flies by quickly. Also, it depends what your other options are.
Same to both, I'll be living halfway between detroit and toledo, since my fiance goes to school in detroit! so somewhat close to a city and a reasonable commute

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten any post-interview waitlist or rejection?
(Just trying to gauge the responses people have been getting)

Just got accepted!!!! 11/8 interview! My first acceptance and I am beyond thrilled and grateful!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
accepted today!! Interviewed on 11/8. Hoping for good news for everyone else still waiting to hear back!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
nov 15 interviewee here! emailed yesterday about a decision timeline and they said another two weeks and then i got the acceptance email this morning!! (probably one of the last 11/15s to hear back lol) can’t wait to learn how to doctor with you guys!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
nov 15 interviewee here! emailed yesterday about a decision timeline and they said another two weeks and then i got the acceptance email this morning!! (probably one of the last 11/15s to hear back lol) can’t wait to learn how to doctor with you guys!
I was told I would hear back this week but I still haven’t heard anything :-( also a 11.15 interviewer!

To everyone that got accepted, did anyone get an email about doing a background check yet? It says in the required documents to "Authorize Certiphi for Background Check Request. Beginning in January, Certiphi will send out the request to you by email", but I haven't received one yet. Also, do we all have to send our official transcripts to Toledo or just the students that are still in undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
To everyone that got accepted, did anyone get an email about doing a background check yet? It says in the required documents to "Authorize Certiphi for Background Check Request. Beginning in January, Certiphi will send out the request to you by email", but I haven't received one yet. Also, do we all have to send our official transcripts to Toledo or just the students that are still in undergrad?
Yes! i got accepted in october or november and got my certiphi email the first week of january

For any current students, where do most medical/grad students live? apartments, houses, area, etc.? Also, is it a good idea to live in a one bedroom for first year? I lived alone my senior year of undergrad but was still close to different groups of friends. I wanna try to do that again for medical school but also don’t want be left out of things due to living alone my first year.

could someone post the link to the facebook group? I know someone may have already posted it but I couldn't find it. Thank you!!

If anyone is interested in Toledo College of Medicine apparel private message me. I have a brand new white XL Hoody that doesn't fit me. I am usually XL, but this hoody runs wider rather than longer which is the opposite of what I need since I am tall and skinny.

Attachments

• toledo COM white hoody.png
    toledo COM white hoody.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 117
Hi everyone,
I am planning on sending an LOI and I was wondering where I should sent it to? Do I upload it onto the UT portal, email the general admissions office, or email someone specifically. Thank you so much!!!

Hi everyone,
I am planning on sending an LOI and I was wondering where I should sent it to? Do I upload it onto the UT portal, email the general admissions office, or email someone specifically. Thank you so much!!!
"If you wish to share updates or letters of interest, you may upload these in PDF format int"o the “Document Upload” tab of your Secondary Application. Please note, however, that updates are not required. While we welcome updates prior to interviewing, at this stage of the admissions cycle updates are not likely to impact your outcome."

"If you wish to share updates or letters of interest, you may upload these in PDF format int"o the “Document Upload” tab of your Secondary Application. Please note, however, that updates are not required. While we welcome updates prior to interviewing, at this stage of the admissions cycle updates are not likely to impact your outcome."

Thank you!!!

Is the New College of Medicine Student Scholarship application due april 1st by 11:59pm? Trying to figure out if I have tomorrow to work on this as well

Is the New College of Medicine Student Scholarship application due april 1st by 11:59pm? Trying to figure out if I have tomorrow to work on this as well

Yes. I am not sure if they will push this date back due to everything that has been happening, but the website states April 1st as the deadline.

Alternate list. Extremely heartbroken... 11/15 interviewee. IS.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I checked my Toledo email today for the first time in a hot minute. I just wanna make sure no one else has been getting emails because mine is still empty.
Also, anyone know when we can expect financial aid to come through? Submitted FAFSA like two weeks ago.

I checked my Toledo email today for the first time in a hot minute. I just wanna make sure no one else has been getting emails because mine is still empty.
Also, anyone know when we can expect financial aid to come through? Submitted FAFSA like two weeks ago.

I got an email today from the background check company. The last email I received was in regards to the virtual match.

I got an email today from the background check company. The last email I received was in regards to the virtual match.

cool beans—thanks. Also, does anyone happen to know if OOS kids can qualify for IS tuition after their first year? Or how easy it is? Was told we can at the interview but just wanna make sure.

cool beans—thanks. Also, does anyone happen to know if OOS kids can qualify for IS tuition after their first year? Or how easy it is? Was told we can at the interview but just wanna make sure.

“Hello and congrats on your acceptance to UTCOM! My name is Rukia Yosuf and I am the Medical Student Council Vice President. I am from Nashville, TN so I had to go through the whole process to get in state tuition so this PSA is for all OUT OF STATE STUDENTS:

Make sure to have a lease signed by June to qualify for in state tuition your summer semester of M2 year. If you wait until July, you can still get in state tuition for the fall semester next year, but won’t qualify for the summer semester. You must have “lived here” 12 consecutive months to qualify for in state residency/tuition. You will want to make sure your application is submitted to the office of student affairs around April of next year because it takes a month to process. Submitting it early allows them to work with you to fix any errors you might have made so you can still submit it in time.

You’ll have to include things like your Ohio drivers license, lease agreement, copies of bank statements, utility bills, your tax returns or your parents proving you’re independent, voter registration etc. These are just things to keep in mind but the most important thing now is to make sure you have a lease signed for a June “move in.” Thank you and please reach out to the Office of Student Affairs for further assistance. They are super helpful and review all applications before submitting them to main campus to approve. Good luck!

Link with all the info & the form: [A to Z List

Posted by a fellow UT student.

Has anyone looking into ordering a stethoscope/know if toledo requires something specific? My family wants to get me one for graduation...

Has anyone looking into ordering a stethoscope/know if toledo requires something specific? My family wants to get me one for graduation...
Toledo will provide stethoscopes for first year students at orientation and we get a new, fancy one when we graduate also

Reactions: 2 users
Was second look recorded/does anyone know where I can find it? I was just accepted, but I remember on interview day that it was weekend of 4/1 so probably already happened if not cancelled

Still waiting to hear back, but I've been musing over whether there were a significant number of less interviews due to COVID-19, here and elsewhere, and the implications for waitlists, etc. Just out of curiosity: does anyone know how this has affected Toledo admissions? Has anyone's interview been cancelled, or done over the phone?

Was second look recorded/does anyone know where I can find it? I was just accepted, but I remember on interview day that it was weekend of 4/1 so probably already happened if not cancelled
They have not told us anything so far. No second look day has happened yet

“Hello and congrats on your acceptance to UTCOM! My name is Rukia Yosuf and I am the Medical Student Council Vice President. I am from Nashville, TN so I had to go through the whole process to get in state tuition so this PSA is for all OUT OF STATE STUDENTS:

Make sure to have a lease signed by June to qualify for in state tuition your summer semester of M2 year. If you wait until July, you can still get in state tuition for the fall semester next year, but won’t qualify for the summer semester. You must have “lived here” 12 consecutive months to qualify for in state residency/tuition. You will want to make sure your application is submitted to the office of student affairs around April of next year because it takes a month to process. Submitting it early allows them to work with you to fix any errors you might have made so you can still submit it in time.

You’ll have to include things like your Ohio drivers license, lease agreement, copies of bank statements, utility bills, your tax returns or your parents proving you’re independent, voter registration etc. These are just things to keep in mind but the most important thing now is to make sure you have a lease signed for a June “move in.” Thank you and please reach out to the Office of Student Affairs for further assistance. They are super helpful and review all applications before submitting them to main campus to approve. Good luck!

Link with all the info & the form: [A to Z List

Posted by a fellow UT student.
Bless. Thanks.

Toledo’s response to second look being cancelled.

“Please be rest assured we are currently working on having a virtual second look for admitted students. We will be updating the portal and sending emails with current updates,

Please stay tuned!

Medical School Admissions”

Reactions: 1 users
Have they still not posted/sent out the health forms with all the vaccine and whatnot stuff?

Have they still not posted/sent out the health forms with all the vaccine and whatnot stuff?
The vaccine requirements will likely be due later than anticipated. Pharmacy (same college) already pushed their due date because of COVID-19, they won’t need it until we are actually working with patients anyways

Have any February interviewees reached out to adcom regarding post-interview decisions timeframe?

Have any February interviewees reached out to adcom regarding post-interview decisions timeframe?

Had there not been an ongoing pandemic I probably would have reached out by now. I can't imagine coordination before was easy, has to be very difficult now. I'm holding off for for at least another week.

I interviewed 2/7.

I'm not sure if this was already discussed, but does the school provide us with laptops/do we have to buy a certain kind? Thanks

Just accepted! Interviewed Feb. 7
Congrats! Did you send any updates? I also interviewed Feb 7 and didn't hear anything.

Regarding laptops, from earlier discussion I believe students furnish their own, and exams aren't compatible with mobile OSes (ie, can't take exams on an iPad).

Congrats! Did you send any updates? I also interviewed Feb 7 and didn't hear anything.

Regarding laptops, from earlier discussion I believe students furnish their own, and exams aren't compatible with mobile OSes (ie, can't take exams on an iPad).
Nope I did not send any updates or anything! Hope you hear back soon!