NSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to you all. I'm a first year and wanted to share some things that I wish someone would have shared with me before I started here:

1. The orientation week is useless. It literally serves no purpose other than to waste your last precious week of summer and for admins to pop in and out of steele and tell you how wonderful you all are. There is also a disproportionate amount of OPP that week. Please don't take this to indicate that OPP is in anyway significant during the rest of the year. Believe me, it'll be the least of your worries.

2. Do not sleep with anyone in the class during that week. Wait at least until after the first biochem test.

3. The first biochem test isn't real.

4. Put your ****in hand down. Nobody cares. BELIEVE me nobody cares. If you have a burning question, that's what the breaks are for. You'll just annoy people (including the professor)

5. Unless you're really into the cutting, anatomy lab is essentially a waste of time. Show up, make sure you're seen, and then get the hell out of there. You're wasting precious study time.

6. You will HEMORRHAGE money during club week. It's unavoidable.

7. A surprising number of people in your class are douches. Do not be discouraged. Buried somewhere in steele auditorium are likely some of the coolest people you'll ever meet.

8. Do not be afraid to skip class. I can't tell you how many precious precious hours I wasted in class. I probably would have been much more successful and a lot less stressed if I stopped going to class early on. Study time>class time.

9. Keep your mouth shut. No one cares how smart you are. No one cares how many whatever degrees you have. PhD in something? That's nice. Again, no one cares. Remember-we all ended up in the same place. The people that talk the most about how much "medicine" they know are prime examples of #7.

10. Finally--surround yourself with good, (sane) people early on. Figure out who the #7s are, and get away from them. quickly. There will be times when that balcony in your apartment will start to look pretty good. Don't give in. You're IN MED SCHOOL. That's pretty freakin awesome.

Congrats again, and enjoy what's left of your pre-med school life. It'll never be the same again. :)

1. No matter how they schedule orientation week, do not give in to the urge to study. Go out to every social event and make the effort to mingle with as many different groups as you possibly can. Continue to make this effort throughout the year and you will find yourself with a lot of friends and study groups available to you. The reason med school groups are cliquey, at least from what I have observed 1st year, is either because you will see the same people every day whether you know them or not (so why bother getting to know them) or there is not enough time to socialize beyond your group.

Do not disregard any single class until you know where you stand ability-wise in your academics. Every class is important. The only difference is that some take more time than others. OPP has its uses, if not for OPP's sake. You will learn to appreciate that once you begin learning about the physical examination in Clinical Practicum.

2. No comment.

3. In retrospect, the first biochem test was a piece of cake, but do yourself a favor and overstudy the **** out of it. In fact, when you hear from an M2 that this or that test was "easy," overstudy the **** out of it because every high test score gives you more breathing space on the final. You do not want to be heading into a final needing a 90+% on the test to simply pass.

4. This personally doesn't bother me, and I don't think I've asked a question in class all year. It takes a certain personality to ask questions in class, and you'll find it might be the same personality that will also mass email everybody with insider info on the next test, or post scans of old tests for people to practice on. The point is its not the question, but the person asking it I think. If the person is a total ******* then you're going to hate them no matter what they do.

5. I hated anatomy lab and so that is what I did, but there honestly were people who took full advantage of their time there, one that I know personally. She pre-read the lab manual the night before and stayed in lab from its scheduled beginning to its scheduled end. I can only assume she knows more anatomy than me because she was constantly exposed to it throughout the semester. I went to the three reviews the M2s held before the tests and was able to regurgitate it on the practical, but I can't say that I remember anatomy that well.

6. Yup, get your checkbook ready. Do not buy ANY BOOKs until you find you need them. One of the physiology professors scared me into buying Boron the first week and that book was massive and absolutely useless. I sold it later. The clubs have the diagnostic kits for cheap ~$500 I think. Join every club that offers something for class. That means old tests, dissection kits, a netters atlas, histology dvds. The more old tests you have for each and every class, the better off you are.

7. It's not really the right attitude to just assume someone is a douche because they don't click with you. There are actual douches, and then there are misinterpreted words and actions that could be taken the wrong way due to the competitive atmosphere of med school. I can't say that I have met these people myself, they certainly don't sit on my side of Steele. I can say that I have met some very academically driven people and some not so academically driven people, all with varying outside interests that either make them interesting people to me or not so interesting people to me.

8. I agree, but I suggest you only put this into practice when you get the hang of 1st year. Also, if administration throws the hammer down and makes a big fuss about scanning in and attending class, do it or they're bound to make an example out of someone. Make sure you attend Dr Dribin's lectures. She gets to know all the M1's and gets pissy if you are not there. This would not be a big deal if she was a nobody professor, but I swear to god she has more influence than the dean and is a huge advocate for the students. There is someone I know who overslept the day of a physiology exam, and went to the physiology professor asking to reschedule. The professor refused and told him to take the remediation exam. My classmate went to Dr Dribin, she talked the professor, and ten minutes later the test was rescheduled for the very next day. That is only ONE of many examples of what she's done for us. I don't care if you don't like her, play nice with her. For all that she does for the class it is not an unreasonable request to attend her lectures.

9. Simply another example of taking the time to mingle with as many people as possible.

10. I agree. It goes without saying that the people you surround yourself with will have a huge influence on your med school experience. As nice as South Florida is, it would be a miserable experience without a good group of people to hang out with.

I will write a huge post later on the intricacies of 1st and 2nd semester classes but in general, the class you have to worry most about

1st semester: Gross Anatomy and Physiology
2nd semester: Microbiology, Physiology and/or Neuroanatomy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Im in Burns.... I was talking to an M1 who is in it and he said that Burns is rather inactive.

Burns here also

Think of societies as a starting point. You will find that they are not the be all end all of your academic and social life.

I am in Burns and while I agree that it is pretty inactive, Dr Boesler, who teaches OMM, is your faculty advisor. Consider yourselves lucky. Dr Hasty is technically another faculty advisor of Burns but he is not really as big a part of it as Dr Boesler.

It takes a crazy motivated M2 to run a society and while I don't blame the three that we had for not putting together more events for us because they had an insane schedule, the least they could've done was host a couple more lunches than they did. The M2s in Burns are actually really involved in the school. One is doing a research fellowship next year, another an OMM fellowship (he'll be teaching you guys), another is part of the honor society that writes the survival M1 guide they hand out in the beginning of the year. A handful of others hold officer positions in other clubs. The rest are your average joes. Wish I got to know them better. Oh well.

Think of societies as a starting point. You will find that they are not the be all end all of your academic and social life.

I am in Burns and while I agree that it is pretty inactive, Dr Boesler, who teaches OMM, is your faculty advisor. Consider yourselves lucky. Dr Hasty is technically another faculty advisor of Burns but he is not really as big a part of it as Dr Boesler.

It takes a crazy motivated M2 to run a society and while I don't blame the three that we had for not putting together more events for us because they had an insane schedule, the least they could've done was host a couple more lunches than they did. The M2s in Burns are actually really involved in the school. One is doing a research fellowship next year, another an OMM fellowship (he'll be teaching you guys), another is part of the honor society that writes the survival M1 guide they hand out in the beginning of the year. A handful of others hold officer positions in other clubs. The rest are your average joes. Wish I got to know them better. Oh well.

Glad to hear that Dr Boesler is our faculty advisor. I have always heard good things (so far...) about Dr Boesler... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys

first off thanks to all the current students for all the great info. But my PI really wants to give me some some of her old books for school. Do any M1s have any suggestions for what review books to have for first year? I think she gave me a brs physio, a couple of the ridiculously simple series (neuroanatomy and acid base) and a whole bunch of others. I know previous posters said notes were enough but I just wanna know if these books are worth bringing cross country ;)

thanks

Hey guys

first off thanks to all the current students for all the great info. But my PI really wants to give me some some of her old books for school. Do any M1s have any suggestions for what review books to have for first year? I think she gave me a brs physio, a couple of the ridiculously simple series (neuroanatomy and acid base) and a whole bunch of others. I know previous posters said notes were enough but I just wanna know if these books are worth bringing cross country ;)

thanks
Neuro made ridiculously simple is good stuff and so is the BRS phys book. It can't hurt to have some board review books on hand, it is the huge textbooks which are almost always a waste of time/money.

Hi,
Does anyone know of any open-access, large parking area (i.e. shopping area) close to NSU where the car transport company can drop off my car? I think there is Broward Mall nearby..?
Thanks!

Hi,
Does anyone know of any open-access, large parking area (i.e. shopping area) close to NSU where the car transport company can drop off my car? I think there is Broward Mall nearby..?
Thanks!
Yea Broward Mall is 1-2 miles from NSU.

Hey guys

thanks

Here's how it is, if you are gonna use any review books, make sure you get Microbio made ridiculously simply, trust me you will thank me for it. Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple is also very good, and so is BRS Phys. But if you want to really do well, consider reading Costanzo. It will really hammer all the concepts in..... will be helpful for every phys topic except for cardiophys. Not because it doesn't explain cardiophys well, but the guy who teaches cardiophys is an uber douche and enjoys agonizing students. You will see what I mean once you get here. Don't buy it though as library has it on hold.

Microbiology by far is the hardest class you'll have to take, it's mountain of material and is tested very much in depth. You don't have any pretty pictures like anatomy that help you memorize random jargon, neither any practicals that would bump your grade up. Take it seriously from the very beginning. Microbio made ridiculously simple makes things much easier..... read that prior to reading your lecture notes and you'll be good.

Lot's of people had problem with phys, but it's not too bad if you enjoy physical sciences. In fact you can do very well if you read Costanzo.

Anatomy shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep up with it, those guys are very good at teaching and are extremely helpful so don't worry about it too much. Same goes for Neuroanatomy.

Here's how it is, if you are gonna use any review books, make sure you get Microbio made ridiculously simply, trust me you will thank me for it. Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple is also very good, and so is BRS Phys. But if you want to really do well, consider reading Costanzo. It will really hammer all the concepts in..... will be helpful for every phys topic except for cardiophys. Not because it doesn't explain cardiophys well, but the guy who teaches cardiophys is an uber douche and enjoys agonizing students. You will see what I mean once you get here. Don't buy it though as library has it on hold.

Microbiology by far is the hardest class you'll have to take, it's mountain of material and is tested very much in depth. You don't have any pretty pictures like anatomy that help you memorize random jargon, neither any practicals that would bump your grade up. Take it seriously from the very beginning. Microbio made ridiculously simple makes things much easier..... read that prior to reading your lecture notes and you'll be good.

Lot's of people had problem with phys, but it's not too bad if you enjoy physical sciences. In fact you can do very well if you read Costanzo.

Anatomy shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep up with it, those guys are very good at teaching and are extremely helpful so don't worry about it too much. Same goes for Neuroanatomy.

Did your class have the option to do AP in any classes? We got a notice about it on SharkLink and I am thinking of doing it for Microbiology as I have taken it twice and did 3 years of research in that field. Is it worth it to do AP?

Thanks!

Did your class have the option to do AP in any classes? We got a notice about it on SharkLink and I am thinking of doing it for Microbiology as I have taken it twice and did 3 years of research in that field. Is it worth it to do AP?

Thanks!

What do you mean by "AP" in any classes? Are you meaning to use High School AP credit to opt out of taking the course? If that's what you're asking: I don't believe that's possible... You'll be required to take every course regardless of whether you've taken it in High school, undergrad, or have a PHD in the subject.

What do you mean by "AP" in any classes? Are you meaning to use High School AP credit to opt out of taking the course? If that's what you're asking: I don't believe that's possible... You'll be required to take every course regardless of whether you've taken it in High school, undergrad, or have a PHD in the subject.

No. This was posted on our SharkLink:

Dear Student Doctor:

NSU-COM offers advanced placement to incoming students with graduate degrees or undergraduate majors, in disciplines that are specifically related to courses or subject areas that are required for graduation. To receive advanced placement (AP) for any course, the student will be required to pass a Discipline Based Examination to determine their competency in the subject matter involved. The subjects that students may earn AP are: 1) Biochemistry; 2) Physiology; and 3) Microbiology. Students may qualify for more than one subject. Students who are successful in this effort will receive advanced placement and given credit equivalent to the course(s) involved on their transcripts. Students successful in receiving advanced placement will be enrolled in an Honors Elective in Academic Scholarship and Research. This elective provides students with an opportunity to work with a COM Faculty Advisor and be engaged in academic scholarly activity and/or research in an area of interest.
Students granted AP will be considered full-time students and will be required to pay full tuition. Tuition is based on academic year, not credit hour.

In order to be considered for Advanced Placement, you must self-identify by emailing Dr. Marge Wilkinson, Assistant Dean Pre-Clinical Education, at [email protected] by June 1, 2010. Please include the discipline(s) that you would like to be considered for AP. Students credentials will be reviewed for eligibility and students will be notified of their A.P. eligibility status by June 15th. The AP exam will be given on July 30th.

For those students that are offered to sit for the exam, we suggest the Kaplan medEssential Book or another COMLEX Board Preparation Book as a study guide.

Sincerely,

Albert W. Whitehead, DMD, MEd, MBA
Assistant Dean

No. This was posted on our SharkLink:

Dear Student Doctor:

NSU-COM offers advanced placement to incoming students with graduate degrees or undergraduate majors, in disciplines that are specifically related to courses or subject areas that are required for graduation. To receive advanced placement (AP) for any course, the student will be required to pass a Discipline Based Examination to determine their competency in the subject matter involved. The subjects that students may earn AP are: 1) Biochemistry; 2) Physiology; and 3) Microbiology. Students may qualify for more than one subject. Students who are successful in this effort will receive advanced placement and given credit equivalent to the course(s) involved on their transcripts. Students successful in receiving advanced placement will be enrolled in an Honors Elective in Academic Scholarship and Research. This elective provides students with an opportunity to work with a COM Faculty Advisor and be engaged in academic scholarly activity and/or research in an area of interest.
Students granted AP will be considered full-time students and will be required to pay full tuition. Tuition is based on academic year, not credit hour.

In order to be considered for Advanced Placement, you must self-identify by emailing Dr. Marge Wilkinson, Assistant Dean Pre-Clinical Education, at [email protected] by June 1, 2010. Please include the discipline(s) that you would like to be considered for AP. Students credentials will be reviewed for eligibility and students will be notified of their A.P. eligibility status by June 15th. The AP exam will be given on July 30th.

For those students that are offered to sit for the exam, we suggest the Kaplan medEssential Book or another COMLEX Board Preparation Book as a study guide.

Sincerely,

Albert W. Whitehead, DMD, MEd, MBA
Assistant Dean

Unless you consider yourself extremely proficient, I wouldn't suggest it. Every M3 I have spoken to tells me COMLEX is big on bugs and drugs. If you are paying the tuition and you think you know it really well, why not take it? It's a 5.5 credit hour class, and if you smoke it that'll boost your GPA significantly. You might even learn something new. Besides, we get tested in such detail that you may not even pass the exam if there is an advanced placement exam, not saying you won't pass, but it's certainly not to be underestimated.
Now if it was biochem, I would go ahead.

Thanks for the advice. I was trying to figure out if it would be worth it to just take the exam or just take the course like you said. I didn't realize it carried that many credits and it was such a heavy focus on COMLEX. I will probably just take it then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone elaborate on our curriculum for first semester? I know according to the website http://medicine.nova.edu/do/curriculum.html it says first semester we have classes such as medical physiology I. But what exactly does that entail? does any1 know or have any kind of syllabus for any of these classes. Thank you.

Can anyone elaborate on our curriculum for first semester? I know according to the website http://medicine.nova.edu/do/curriculum.html it says first semester we have classes such as medical physiology I. But what exactly does that entail? does any1 know or have any kind of syllabus for any of these classes. Thank you.

Here's how its gonna be:

Physio will have three exams for 300 points total, first will cover cellular phys, second will cover cardiophys and autonomics, third exam will just be cardiophys.
Anatomy will have 3 written and 3 practical exams for 600 points total. Written and practical exams will be on the same day and will cover same material. First exam will include back and extremities, second exam will cover thorax, abdomen, and pelvis, third exam will be head and neck.
Histology will have 2 written and 2 practical exams for 400 points. Practical and written will be on the same day and cover the same material. So in essence, you will have a midterm and a final, both with written and practical.
Biochem will have 3 exams for 300 points total.....your guess is as good as mine when it comes to the material covered. What I can safely say is that you will do very well yet will have no idea what you learned, if anything at all.
OPP will have 2 exams..... each will have a written and a practical portion.... you must pass every exam in OPP to pass the class or else you fail the course. They take it very seriously.
Clinical practicum will have a standardized patient exam which will be 50% of your grade and a final written exam which will be 40% of your final grade. 10% of the grade will be the written lab assignments that you will have each week. You must pass SPE and the written exam to pass the class.

Also, your final exam grade for biochem could be your final grade, given that it was higher than your average in your course. Just in biochem.

wow thanks thats exactly what i wanted to know!!! I was told by friends from other schools that studying for some of the classes is best done using a step 1 study book such as First Aid. Not necessarily only using that, but def. supplementing class notes with it. Would you say that is a good idea to do at Nova? Meaning, would studying from First Aid be sufficient for the class exams, or should i just study it on the side? Thanks again

wow thanks thats exactly what i wanted to know!!! I was told by friends from other schools that studying for some of the classes is best done using a step 1 study book such as First Aid. Not necessarily only using that, but def. supplementing class notes with it. Would you say that is a good idea to do at Nova? Meaning, would studying from First Aid be sufficient for the class exams, or should i just study it on the side? Thanks again

If you wish to study from a Board Review series book, it would be best to use it to supplement the information given in class so that you can fully understand it, and know what is emphasized on boards. The material tested in class consists of very specific questions in regards to the material handed out by the professor: And in some cases may not be included in a board review series book. They like testing to make sure you've come to class and have gone through the material adequately several times: So they test on very specific items.

So: For tests: Study the professor's notes. For your overall understanding of the material: Study both.

As per the cost of attendance sheet.... Do people actually spend nearly 3k on books and supplies per term?!

As per the cost of attendance sheet.... Do people actually spend nearly 3k on books and supplies per term?!

Not at all. If you buy 1 textbook a semester you might even still be crazy. most of the notes are handed out by the professors in class. I think I bought a couple of board review series books though just to read up on material further... but those are what? 20 bucks each?

The first week, however, you will be spending a butt-load of money at Club week--joining clubs and getting their handy study guides/aids/materials.

I think my first semester I spent 300 bucks during club week joining clubs. I joined The emergency Medicine society and got a T-shirt, I Joined SOSA and got a Netters Anatomy Atlas as well as comprehensive 3 hour Anatomy/Neuroanatomy Reviews before every practical, I joined SOMA? (I think?) Which gives you a giant packet filled with old tests for each subject you can use to review for tests with.

Also: Anatomy/Physio tutoring can add up to a little bit of money. most tutors charge 30/hr for 1 student, 20/hr/person for 2 students and 15 hr/person for 3 or more students. (so most students get 2 buddies, and grab a tutor for a few hours for sessions they want extra help with.)

I paid for 8 hours of anatomy tutoring and 8 hours of physio tutoring which came to a total of like 300 bucks?

so like 600 bucks first semester on supplies/materials.

PS: If you have a costco membership: Buy Hilighters in bulk... I go through those like there's no tomorrow.... that's probably my most costly school supply item lol.

PPS: You will also need to buy medical supplies your first semester. This includes a stethescope (Littmann Cardiology 3 is usually what is used)... it needs to have a diaphragm and a bell. (Note if it's has a diaphragm and a pediatric side, usually the pediatric diaphragm can be removed to simply reveal the bell). You will also need an ophthalmoscope kit. This is what I wound up getting. You will also need a reflex hammer, a pen light, 128 and 258 HZ tuning forks, a pocket eye chart, and a sphygmomanometer. You will get a list of each of these items your first day of Clinical Practicum course. That course teaches you how to use each of these tools and then you will be tested on your skills with a patient actor for your final "Simulated patient Experience (SPE)" Exam. You can buy as expensive, or as innexpensive, the materials as you want... Radiology club also sells these items as a fundraiser during the first week of class. If you need an idea for a birthday present from your parents--ask for a nice medical bag to carry all these things in... I used a plastic grocery bag for the first year and I felt like a poor fart.

Last edited:
Not at all. If you buy 1 textbook a semester you might even still be crazy. most of the notes are handed out by the professors in class. I think I bought a couple of board review series books though just to read up on material further... but those are what? 20 bucks each?

The first week, however, you will be spending a butt-load of money at Club week--joining clubs and getting their handy study guides/aids/materials.

I think my first semester I spent 300 bucks during club week joining clubs. I joined The emergency Medicine society and got a T-shirt, I Joined SOSA and got a Netters Anatomy Atlas as well as comprehensive 3 hour Anatomy/Neuroanatomy Reviews before every practical, I joined SOMA? (I think?) Which gives you a giant packet filled with old tests for each subject you can use to review for tests with.

Also: Anatomy/Physio tutoring can add up to a little bit of money. most tutors charge 30/hr for 1 student, 20/hr/person for 2 students and 15 hr/person for 3 or more students. (so most students get 2 buddies, and grab a tutor for a few hours for sessions they want extra help with.)

I paid for 8 hours of anatomy tutoring and 8 hours of physio tutoring which came to a total of like 300 bucks?

so like 600 bucks first semester on supplies/materials.

PS: If you have a costco membership: Buy Hilighters in bulk... I go through those like there's no tomorrow.... that's probably my most costly school supply item lol.

PPS: You will also need to buy medical supplies your first semester. This includes a stethescope (Littmann Cardiology 3 is usually what is used)... it needs to have a diaphragm and a bell. (Note if it's has a diaphragm and a pediatric side, usually the pediatric diaphragm can be removed to simply reveal the bell). You will also need an ophthalmoscope kit. This is what I wound up getting. You will also need a reflex hammer, a pen light, 128 and 258 HZ tuning forks, a pocket eye chart, and a sphygmomanometer. You will get a list of each of these items your first day of Clinical Practicum course. That course teaches you how to use each of these tools and then you will be tested on your skills with a patient actor for your final "Simulated patient Experience (SPE)" Exam. You can buy as expensive, or as innexpensive, the materials as you want... Radiology club also sells these items as a fundraiser during the first week of class. If you need an idea for a birthday present from your parents--ask for a nice medical bag to carry all these things in... I used a plastic grocery bag for the first year and I felt like a poor fart.

Awesome thanks for the info.! As for these clubs, is it just join them to get stuff, or do they get pretty involved as well?

I am gonna be real honest, I am very lazy so I just read the lecture notes, I tend to do alright, usually above average range. I always sleep in and never go to class. Therefore, I don't read any of the board review books. I don't recommend you do it that way though, unless you know where you stand and what you need to do in order to get the grades you want. My strategy kind of backfired on me in Micro as I didn't take that course seriously. I passed in the end quite comfortably, but I was failing that course at one point. I had to bust my ass to get As in last two exams to bring my grade up. I did however read the whole costanzo, purple cover, for physio because our physio is dense. And towards the end, I read Micro made ridiculously simple which helped immensely. So just keep that in mind, you will have enough to read.... if you can get the extra stuff in, great. I get lazy and almost never do it.

lol, don't ever buy any book, trust me. However, investing in netters should be a must. I couldn't study anatomy if it wasn't for netters. You keep it open while you read your notes to see what you are studying.

As for tutoring, I never got any individual tutoring, but that is very subjective. I joined only one club, SOSA, because of their anatomy reviews. I made photocopies of the SOMA packet, courtesy of a friend. I would suggest you shell out a little extra cash on your clinical equipment though as the one sold at school is rather cheap. Look for Welch Allyn and you will not be disappointed.

Awesome thanks for the info.! As for these clubs, is it just join them to get stuff, or do they get pretty involved as well?

It depends on the club. Some of them are awesome and do really cool community outreach programs, medical fairs and events, host guest lectures/talks and discuss career information. The emergency medicine club, for example, has a biannual National Emergency Medicine conference you can attend (and they help pay for some of the costs).

Others are kind of inactive... you get food at meetings, but that's about it. It really depends on how involved/lazy the current officers are. Since our class is now in charge of these clubs, hopefully we'll make them worthwhile :D

Hello all... I have an announcement..

I will be giving away my medical books that i will not be taking up to NY first come first serve. From now until mid may..if noone claims, i will just toss them in the garbage.

Netters anatomy
Rohen color atlas anatomy
Robbins path (big)
Review of path robbins questions book
The imune system by parham 2nd ed.
pediatric blueprints
Microcards flash cards for microbio (helpful for boards)
Histology DVD's essential for M1

condition is pretty good some highlighting in certain books

MUST be in south FL...and able to meet in aventura, FL

email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Hello all... I have an announcement..

I will be giving away my medical books that i will not be taking up to NY first come first serve. From now until mid may..if noone claims, i will just toss them in the garbage.

Netters anatomy
Rohen color atlas anatomy
Robbins path (big)
Review of path robbins questions book
The imune system by parham 2nd ed.
pediatric blueprints
Microcards flash cards for microbio (helpful for boards)
Histology DVD's essential for M1

condition is pretty good some highlighting in certain books

MUST be in south FL...and able to meet in aventura, FL

email: [email protected]

if no one has claimed them, I will take them off your hands

GREETINGS TO ALL YOU TOTALLY EXCITED AND TOTALLY STRESSED OUT VERY-SOON-TO-BE M1s. I joined this forum to use the Classified to try and rent my townhouse in Plantation, but I have had the best time tonight browsing the posts and remembering TOO clearly my same situation 14 years ago (holy crap, has it been that long?). I was especially inspired and amused with the post by EvryBreathAGft "Things I wish I knew a year ago". While I see there are quite a few things that have changed (like mandatory laptops?), it's still the same experience at the core. I'll add one piece of advice to EvryBreathAGft...the summer between your M1 and M2 year is going to be the LAST SUMMER VACATION OF YOUR LIFE!!! Please do not waste it studying or trying to get ahead for the next year. You are going to be insanely busy (and insanely in debt) for the next 20 years; trust me...take the summer off.

If you are bringing a family with you to NSU and you still do not have housing, please check my post on the Classified section "NSU - 3br/2.5ba, etc." Also, I have a very lightly used portable OMT table that I am ready to part with now. Let me know if you are interested...

I'd love to say "feel free to contact me with questions about NSU", but hey, I graduated a decade ago. BUT, if you have questions about Davie and the surrounding areas, I've lived in Broward County my whole life; please feel free to write. Best way to reach me...email... [email protected]

I will keep you all in my prayers!
Jen

Here's the rundown for clubs...

NSUCOM has a "club week" at the beginning of the year *and are working on making a 2nd club week later for those who are still interested in other clubs they did not join at the beginning*

SOMA - Student Osteopathic Medical Association They give you a test packet from most of the M1 classes old tests (these can be old, though, ex: we haven't gotten a physio test back since 2002 or something). You can also buy a Netter's from them pretty inexpensively. You've pretty much gotta join this club for the test q's but it's the priciest club at ~ $125 to join. They do D.O. Day on the Hill (In Washington DC) and have speakers throughout the year. They also host the M1 Welcome dinner at a local country club.

SOSA - Student Osteopathic Surgery Association. You get/can buy a dissection kit, and then anatomy lab reviews + neuroanatomy review if you are a member ($30 each if not a member, I think) (CMDA holds similar reviews). They also give you an anatomy review packet. ~$80

FOMA - Florida Osteopathic Medical Association. You get a penlight, pin, and monthly lunches. FOMA has an annual health fair every may, and officers get expense-paid trips around the state to sweet hotels and dinners + the chance to mingle with the higher ups. :) $20

CMDA - Christian Medical and Dental Association. Bible studies if you want to participate (weekly?) and they do a mission trip over Spring Break. They also hold Anatomy and Neuro reviews for $10 for members and $15 for non-members (just like SOSA reviews). Free to join.

ACOFP - American College of Family Practitioners. NSU Osteopathic Medicine T-Shirts, and an NSUCOM Medical bag to hold all your medical supplies. Free membership. Officers get expense-paid trips around the state to sweet hotels and dinners + the chance to mingle with the higher ups. :)

There's a bunch more, like LOG (social club), Peds, AMOPS (military), Jewish Osteopathic Med, Emergency Med, Ophthamology, Med Students for Choice, Sigma Sigma Phi Honors Society (which you'll learn more about during orientation - provides a ton of volunteer opportunities), Sports Med, AOA (Osteopathic manipulation) and others...I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Also there's Student Government...so you don't have to worry about not being involved in SOMETHING.

*get excited for August!*

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown of the M1 schedule, as in days/times of certain classes.

Also, someone said that Dr. Conover uses questions/topics from the Clinically Oriented Anatomy book, but then I've heard others say you don't need it. Which is it? Do you recommend getting it?

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown of the M1 schedule, as in days/times of certain classes.

Also, someone said that Dr. Conover uses questions/topics from the Clinically Oriented Anatomy book, but then I've heard others say you don't need it. Which is it? Do you recommend getting it?

Firstly: Dr. Conover has retired, he will no longer be teaching Anatomy.. So it's kind of a moot point. If you wish to get it to supplement the material you get in class, go for it: But I don't really recommend buying ANY books (As weird as that sounds to you now, you will hear it over and over again from M2s... heed our advice.) Everything you need will be handed out in class. If you wish to buy ANYTHING for anatomy: I recommend the Netters Atlas and (maybe) their flash cards (If you're feeling particularly spend-happy)

Secondly, Rumors are that your class's schedule will be changed. We had a test every Monday, however I hear that is no longer the case. It is NOT blocked out... it is still spread out so you have one or so a week, but they land on random days of the week. (Once again that's rumor.) The schedule should be posted to Sharklink under the medicine tab in the next few weeks. (so says the administration)

Actually, Dr. Conover is not retiring. There have been rumors going around the school since last semester saying that he is, but according to Dr. Dribin these are only rumors and not true. And I definitely trust Dr. Dribin's word on that. That is definitely good news for you guys as Dr. Conover is one of the most knowledgeable, best anatomy teachers you will have at NSU. I cannot say enough good things about him.

With that being said, whether or not Dr. Conover will still be teaching this coming up year, you do not need to buy the Clinically Oriented Anatomy book! As everyone has posted over and over, you do not need to buy ANY books except for the Netter's atlas! All the books are on reserve at the library and there are also plenty of other reference books at the library if you ever feel the need to use them. But I can promise you that you will not have enough time to supplement with textbooks...just getting through the notes a few times will take up enough of your time. And since all the questions on exams come from the notes, using the textbooks is a waste of your precious time, unless you are not understanding a particular topic and want to look it up.

Hi Everyone,

If you chose to do the D.O / MPH, how long does it take and how well is it integrated? How early do you get patient exposure? I know Nova isnt too big on research, but what kind of research opportunities are available and how accessible are they?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

If you chose to do the D.O / MPH, how long does it take and how well is it integrated? How early do you get patient exposure? I know Nova isnt too big on research, but what kind of research opportunities are available and how accessible are they?
The DO/MPH is completely integrated, you start taking MPH courses second semester of your 1st year and take courses from both programs concurrently. The MPH classes are a combination of night classes/online. You graduate with both degrees in the same 4 years as the stand alone DO.

You start getting patient exposure right away, you are assigned a primary care preceptor and go to their office ~6 times a semester for ~4 hours each time.

If you are really gung ho you can make research opportunities happen for you. I have a mild interest in research and if it was readily accessible and laid out for us I would do it, but classes keep me busy enough to keep me from going out and seeking a PI on my own.

I am having a really hard time deciding on which stethoscope I want to get. My future roommate was telling me it needs to be cardiology grade, and also have a separate dual head bell and diaphragm for the practical, and I'd like to have one suitable for the practical so I don't have to use someone else's. I hear good thing about Welch Allyn. Can anyone suggest a really good stethoscope that can be used on the practical?

I am having a really hard time deciding on which stethoscope I want to get. My future roommate was telling me it needs to be cardiology grade, and also have a separate dual head bell and diaphragm for the practical, and I'd like to have one suitable for the practical so I don't have to use someone else's. I hear good thing about Welch Allyn. Can anyone suggest a really good stethoscope that can be used on the practical?

http://www.amazon.com/Littmann-3128...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1274206858&sr=8-1 is what 90% of the class uses. It's also what I have. It has served me very well so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Littmann-3128...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1274206858&sr=8-1 is what 90% of the class uses. It's also what I have. It has served me very well so far.

I know a lot of people use that, but is that the one you can use on the practical with the dual bell and diaphragm? I don't necessarily want what everyone else has, but what I can use on the practical. It seems silly to me to practice with one instrument and then switch to another while being tested.

I know a lot of people use that, but is that the one you can use on the practical with the dual bell and diaphragm? I don't necessarily want what everyone else has, but what I can use on the practical. It seems silly to me to practice with one instrument and then switch to another while being tested.

90% have it because you can use it on the practical and in practice.

It has a diaphragm on one side, and a pediatric diaphragm on the other. The thing is, you can simply take the diaphragm off of the pediatric side (since you won't be dealing with kids for a while) and it becomes a bell. So when you go into the practical you have what you need. If you need to treat children, simply slip the diaphragm back on and walla.

Books are all GONE

But i have furniture that i would be giving away (or BEST OFFER)

beige leather love seat
beige leather arm chair with 2 ottomans
dark grey metallic coffee table with glass top and matching side table.

The coffee table, matching side table are available now..but the love chair wont be available until the 27th. MUST come and pick these up yourselves in Aventura, FL. Bidding will end on the 25th of this month. Unless someone wows me early on.

email me at: [email protected] or call me at: 281-615-2412 Everyone is more then welcome to come and take a look.

Pictures can be seen here
http://picasaweb.google.com/101357037069858725392/CouchAndCoffeeTableForSale?authkey=Gv1sRgCOjA-KfRnuzkMA&feat=directlink

Anyone else notified about their Financial Aid Award via Webstar? I got my notice today:
Cost of attendance for 2010-11 $72,925
Financial aid award for 2010-11 $57,417

I'm wondering if I should take out more loans (through Grad Plus, right?)...I'm generally frugal but.. just in case. (for Life's little calamities and all) :confused:

90% have it because you can use it on the practical and in practice.

It has a diaphragm on one side, and a pediatric diaphragm on the other. The thing is, you can simply take the diaphragm off of the pediatric side (since you won't be dealing with kids for a while) and it becomes a bell. So when you go into the practical you have what you need. If you need to treat children, simply slip the diaphragm back on and walla.

awesome. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Littman is a good overall basic stethoscope. I currently have a Littman, but I think my next stethoscope may be the Welch Allyn Tycos Harvey Elite Cardiology. It is a very nice stethoscope that in my opinion eliminates a lot of background sound.
http://www.welchallyn.com/products/en-us/x-11-ac-100-0000000001171.htm

I do remember reading somewhere that whatever stethoscope you choose, it must have a double head (1 bell and 1 flat diaphragm)...

Anyone else notified about their Financial Aid Award via Webstar? I got my notice today:
Cost of attendance for 2010-11 $72,925
Financial aid award for 2010-11 $57,417

I'm wondering if I should take out more loans (through Grad Plus, right?)...I'm generally frugal but.. just in case. (for Life's little calamities and all) :confused:

I just checked my status and got the same award, although my coa was over 80k. 17k does kinda seem a little low to cover everything after tuition.

Yeah, that's how much I got as well (in Stafford loans) and my CoA was > 80k as well. Maybe that is the baseline amount everyone is eligible for?

You can apply for other loans too (i.e. Grad plus/Additional Unsubsidized found here: http://www.nova.edu/financialaid/grantsloans/graduate/gradplus.html
http://www.nova.edu/financialaid/grantsloans/graduate/additional_unsubsidized.html

According to this: http://medicine.nova.edu/resources/forms/cost_of_attendance.pdf

For fall + winter, tuition and fees < 30K (~28K for out of state, and ~24K for in-state). I think the 41k includes summer semester...which we dont actually pay for. It's just included so that we can potentially receive more aid in case we need it. I could be wrong though. Can any current students verify this?

I have used Welch Allyn/Tycos (Harvey) Elite since med school, through residency and now into my medical practice...
http://www.allheart.com/ty5079elite.html

and I've borrowed and tried plenty others, including Littmann (which is popular, but not as clear a sound). The Elite has great tubing and ear piece seals (soft) that really block out external noise and transmit bodily noises with great clarity.

The best endorsement was on my Cardiology rotation, when my attending forgot his Littmann one day and borrowed mine. He was really impressed with it. :thumbup:

Yeah, that's how much I got as well (in Stafford loans) and my CoA was > 80k as well. Maybe that is the baseline amount everyone is eligible for?

You can apply for other loans too (i.e. Grad plus/Additional Unsubsidized found here: http://www.nova.edu/financialaid/grantsloans/graduate/gradplus.html
http://www.nova.edu/financialaid/grantsloans/graduate/additional_unsubsidized.html

According to this: http://medicine.nova.edu/resources/forms/cost_of_attendance.pdf

For fall + winter, tuition and fees < 30K (~28K for out of state, and ~24K for in-state). I think the 41k includes summer semester...which we dont actually pay for. It's just included so that we can potentially receive more aid in case we need it. I could be wrong though. Can any current students verify this?

I'll try to break it down for you. This example will be for an instate student living off campus. Let's use round numbers for simplicity.

Total cost of attendance = 80k. Tuition + Fees = 35k/yr.

The tuition + fees will be divided and charged evenly over 3 semesters, fall, winter, summer whether you like it or not. So 80k - 35k = 45k. That 45k is for living and whatever else you want/need (rent, food, car, books, etc etc etc etc etc etc) in this world to get through your 1st year of medical school until loans start paying out for your M2 year the following august.

Now for your financial "aid"(loan) package. The federal government has limits on how much it will loan you annually under its stafford loan programs. The total, again simplified, we will say is 55k which you were awarded in loans. So say you accept the total 55k. We'll subtract that from the total cost of attendance. 80k-55k = 25k.

This 25k is the gap between your financial aid award and total cost of attendance. You can fill this gap using a federal loan program called GRAD PLUS, you don't need to completely fill the gap if you don't want to. Right now if you didn't take out a grad plus loan but you accepted all your other loans you would have 55k-35k(tuition)=20k for living.

If you want/need that full 45k that was mentioned in the first paragraph then you would take out the full grad plus loan for 25k.
55k (stafford loans) + 25k (grad plus) - 35k (tuition) = 45k ( for living etc)

There is no stipulation on what you spend your living money on, you could buy a 3 series BMW live in that for all the school/govt cares. In the end the actual amount of money you take out is dependent on you. I have been taking out the full amount, living well, and saving the rest for a rainy day.

Hi All

Congrats to all of you attending NSU this fall! I am going to apply this summer to NSU and am looking forward to this whole process. My question to you is, personally, I would like to know what made you choose NSU over the other DO schools that you may have had a choice over? i know weather and location are huge, but since it has a hefty price tag, i was curious what other factors made you choose this school after interviewing here, etc (was it the electives, rotations, people in program, etc)? If location was the only reason (would you have chosen it over western?) I would appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Hi All

Congrats to all of you attending NSU this fall! I am going to apply this summer to NSU and am looking forward to this whole process. My question to you is, personally, I would like to know what made you choose NSU over the other DO schools that you may have had a choice over? i know weather and location are huge, but since it has a hefty price tag, i was curious what other factors made you choose this school after interviewing here, etc (was it the electives, rotations, people in program, etc)? If location was the only reason (would you have chosen it over western?) I would appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Here are my personal reasons.... 1.) Reputation. 2.) Location (In state for me) 3.) Programs available and flexibility of 3/4th year clerkships 4.) Price (While it is hefty it is definitely not the most expensive out there) 5.) The students that I know there and others that I met there seem genuinely happy about the program, and 6.) The most important reason, they accepted me! lol Honestly the school just felt like it was going to be a good fit when I interviewed here (when compared to the other schools where I was accepted / waitlisted).

Here are my personal reasons.... 1.) Reputation. 2.) Location (In state for me) 3.) Programs available and flexibility of 3/4th year clerkships 4.) Price (While it is hefty it is definitely not the most expensive out there) 5.) The students that I know there and others that I met there seem genuinely happy about the program, and 6.) The most important reason, they accepted me! lol Honestly the school just felt like it was going to be a good fit when I interviewed here (when compared to the other schools where I was accepted / waitlisted).

I chose NSU for the exact same reasons (almost verbatim). Clinical rotations, reputation, and student happiness were my three most important though. I will add that compared to other osteopathic schools where I interviewed, the campus and facilities were better at NSU.

Hi All

my list
1) solid clinical rotations
2) reputation
3) students generally content

As for Western,
If location is the only factor: Imo, depends on personal preference-- family nearby in SoCal? Personal ties to SoCal? dry heat vs humidity?
Both are good schools, imo, can't go wrong with either choice.