NSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you say it is a good idea to wait to buy the medical kit (including stethoscope) during club week?

Hey I would check ebay for the med kit. I got a nice riester for 60 bucks! My stethoscope i got as a gift..

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys any clue how much books really cost? The stupid COA sheet says nearly 3k per term...

Some current NSU students about to scream at you: "DON'T BUY ANY BOOKS! You don't need any."

I got Netters. I think you definitely need a good Atlas. I also got a physiology book (guyton & hall) just for when I want to look up things in detail if I don't understand them. I also got BRS Physiology & Anatomy and plan on getting biochem & an OMM BRS book, because I read some students say these are helpful when reviewing. All in all I'd say that was about $200.

Some current NSU students about to scream at you: "DON'T BUY ANY BOOKS! You don't need any."

I got Netters. I think you definitely need a good Atlas. I also got a physiology book (guyton & hall) just for when I want to look up things in detail if I don't understand them. I also got BRS Physiology & Anatomy and plan on getting biochem & an OMM BRS book, because I read some students say these are helpful when reviewing. All in all I'd say that was about $200.

Yea I understand. I'm just trying to make a budget. I have my school books and my USMLE/COMLEX books (review books). I don't mind spending money on review books, I just don't want to blow the bank on regular text books which I'll NEVER read...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my school books and my USMLE/COMLEX books (review books). I don't mind spending money on review books, I just don't want to blow the bank on regular text books which I'll NEVER read...

You have bought USMLE/COMLEX review books already?? Yikes.

PS - NSUCOM provides a full set of Kaplan USMLE books during first year. Nine of them that go upwards of 5-600 pages. You wont really read them until board prep second year but you can always use them for reference.

PS - NSUCOM provides a full set of Kaplan USMLE books during first year. Nine of them that go upwards of 5-600 pages. You wont really read them until board prep second year but you can always use them for reference.

I took Kaplan for MCAT and HATED it. Their books are wayyyyy too detailed and long. I got some review books recommended by other students because I am (hoping) to use these to review on weekends. People say it's a good idea to start looking at these now so you become familiar with the test...and I figured, it definitely can only help me. They were really cheap (20-40 bucks each) and I don't think spending $200 on books for med school is bad at all.

haha no just First Aid.. and I have the "Taus Method" guidelines

Anyone know where we get the Turning Point clicker/when we need to have it? I only recently started hearing about it. :p Thanks!

On sharklink there is a link to the website where you can buy the turning point clicker. I think it was like $30 with shipping. Go to the class group and the link is in the announcements page.

Don't buy books.

I took Kaplan for MCAT and HATED it. Their books are wayyyyy too detailed and long.

I hated kaplan for MCAT too, but their step 1 course was REALLY good. The videos are amazing. The books are NOT enough for classes though, they leave out a ton of stuff (pharm especially) and only focus on the board tested stuff, path too.

I took Kaplan for MCAT and HATED it. Their books are wayyyyy too detailed and long. I got some review books recommended by other students because I am (hoping) to use these to review on weekends. People say it's a good idea to start looking at these now so you become familiar with the test...and I figured, it definitely can only help me. They were really cheap (20-40 bucks each) and I don't think spending $200 on books for med school is bad at all.
I took Kaplan for the MCAT as well but I loved it, but I agree with you about the books, they are not the best. However, in my opinion, just having the practice tests was worth it!

Anyone else ready to get this started already?! I am so excited, and I can't wait to meet everyone! When is everyone planning on moving down? I am moving in on July 15....Anyone else?

Anyone else ready to get this started already?! I am so excited, and I can't wait to meet everyone! When is everyone planning on moving down? I am moving in on July 15....Anyone else?
July 29th for me. I'm scared :scared:
But i'm happy to be going to med school too.

July 29th for me. I'm scared :scared:
But i'm happy to be going to med school too.

July 30th for me, I want to spend as much time in maryland as I can before I have to head into florida heat :scared:. And I am excited about meeting new people but not ready for work load, I need this 30 days to get ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
July 30th for me, I want to spend as much time in maryland as I can before I have to head into florida heat :scared:. And I am excited about meeting new people but not ready for work load, I need this 30 days to get ready.
Yeah I am procrastinating too! :laugh: I'm already starting to miss my 'last days of freedom' and family/friends here.

:laugh: I can understand that...As far as the heat goes, that's why everything is air conditioned! Granted that minute walk from your car to the building you will be drenched in sweat!

I moved down here on June 13, still haven't received my furniture yet so my wife and I are barely getting by with a TV and mattress we bought. Dealing with the movers has been frustrating but it feels good just to get close to the med school. I have seen a few people who look like students wearing ceal blue scrubs and I keep wanting to ask them if they are students but I haven't yet. It's exciting to think that in a little over a month we will all be in those scrubs as med students. I have had the year off so I am ready to start but I am glad I moved down here a little early because the beaches have been nice. If anybody wants to hang out when they move down here, or needs any advice about moving down here, e-mail me from the DO Class 2014 Sharklink group, my last name is Huber.

I moved down here on June 13, still haven't received my furniture yet so my wife and I are barely getting by with a TV and mattress we bought. Dealing with the movers has been frustrating but it feels good just to get close to the med school. I have seen a few people who look like students wearing ceal blue scrubs and I keep wanting to ask them if they are students but I haven't yet. It's exciting to think that in a little over a month we will all be in those scrubs as med students. I have had the year off so I am ready to start but I am glad I moved down here a little early because the beaches have been nice. If anybody wants to hang out when they move down here, or needs any advice about moving down here, e-mail me from the DO Class 2014 Sharklink group, my last name is Huber.
Is Sunstate still holding your furniture? What's the deal, are they wanting more money or what?

Basically, yes they want more money. They have been telling me that even though their salesperson guaranteed that my furniture would be here by June 16 they contractually have 21 business days from the pick up date to deliver my furniture. After telling me this they gave me the option of paying an expedited delivery fee of $300 to have the furniture delivered sooner but that they still would not be able to give me an exact date when I paid the $300. After talking to my wife we decided to spend the $300 on a bed and a new TV instead and wait it out. It is ridiculous when we call at the beginning of the week it is always well we are going to try and deliver your furniture this weekend, and when we call at the end of the week it is always well we are going to try and deliver your furniture by Wednesday of next week.

Basically, yes they want more money. They have been telling me that even though their salesperson guaranteed that my furniture would be here by June 16 they contractually have 21 business days from the pick up date to deliver my furniture. After telling me this they gave me the option of paying an expedited delivery fee of $300 to have the furniture delivered sooner but that they still would not be able to give me an exact date when I paid the $300. After talking to my wife we decided to spend the $300 on a bed and a new TV instead and wait it out. It is ridiculous when we call at the beginning of the week it is always well we are going to try and deliver your furniture this weekend, and when we call at the end of the week it is always well we are going to try and deliver your furniture by Wednesday of next week.

That really sux, but unfortuantely it is not too uncommon for some less than reputable shippers. I don't know how much research you have done on this, but the Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services is usually a good starting point for help in these situations. http://www.800helpfla.com/moving_text.html or 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352).

I hope this maybe can help you a little!

That does suck...

Ironically, the extent of my furniture may end up being a bed and a tv. Moving down on july 28th- I live in another state, so I'd likely be bored out of my mind if I got there any earlier.

Passing on a question from the Facebook group... Does anyone know if we are supposed to be ordering our white coats beforehand to have them embroidered, or are they just provided? M2s feel free to give input since the school isn't providing much guidance.

Hi everyone,

For those of you still looking for a place to rent, I have a great house:

Single story 2/2 townhouse less than 5 minutes to NSU (can walk or bike there)
-front garden area, small backyard, private screened-in patio
-laundry room with full size washer and dryer,
-big kitchen with a dishwasher
-huge master bedroom with a big private bathroom and walk in closet
-big second bedroom with a big closet and adjacent bathroom
-community is very quiet and safe and has 2 pools, tennis courts, a clubhouse, dog walk, etc.
-ALL pets are welcome!
-The house can also be partially furnished if needed.
-This is not a rental community, it is a privately owned townhouse and all the neighbors are owners.

$1295 a month on a 1 year lease or 1 month free on a 2 year lease

http://picasaweb.google.com/107521783599947373102/33# for pictures

Please call 646-462-1287 or email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Any LDS peeps in this class?

Dude, that's some kind of gunning before even starting med school ;)

he's even got Taus method on standby which outlines the last 10 weeks before step 1 boards! NK1 you might be my new hero and motivator for board prep this year.

reminds me of a brilliant quote from last year during like the second day of class... "so where do we park for graduation???"

he was making fun of everyone that was freaking out to the assistant dean about the M2 and M3 curriculums. point being - you gotta attend a single day of class before you can take a test - before you can pass anatomy - before you have a psycho SPE schedule - before you can take pharm - before you. . . . . . . .

Last edited:
Passing on a question from the Facebook group... Does anyone know if we are supposed to be ordering our white coats beforehand to have them embroidered, or are they just provided? M2s feel free to give input since the school isn't providing much guidance.
Last year the school put up a flier/link to a website where we had to order our white coat and tell them how we wanted our name printed on the coat. It was through the bookstore or something and that is where we had to pick them up. If the school hasn't posted about it yet, I wouldn't worry. Also for people who hadn't ordered the white coat they had extras for them to wear at the ceremony. The extras were obviously not embroidered.

he's even got Taus method on standby which outlines the last 10 weeks before step 1 boards! NK1 you might be my new hero and motivator for board prep this year.

Hey man I just don't want to close any doors. A few of my friends are going crazy studying for the CPA exams this summer...honestly 8-12 hours a day :eek:

I don't know if anyone else has seen this yet or not, but we can now register for our classes this fall. Instructions are in your NSU e-mail box.

Is anyone else having trouble registering for all of the classes? WebSTAR is not allowing me to sign up for Patient Centered Medicine I due to a time conflict in the system with Medical Histology. I tried to recontact Leslie about this, but so far no answer...

Do you guys take Spanish classes. I heard it from the gossip mill.

Do you guys take Spanish classes. I heard it from the gossip mill.
I have heard that rumor as well, but as of right now it is not listed on WebSTAR as an M1 class for the fall. But we'll see if that changes in the not too distant future...

I don't know if anyone else has seen this yet or not, but we can now register for our classes this fall. Instructions are in your NSU e-mail box.

Is anyone else having trouble registering for all of the classes? WebSTAR is not allowing me to sign up for Patient Centered Medicine I due to a time conflict in the system with Medical Histology. I tried to recontact Leslie about this, but so far no answer...

I have the same problem...but this is from facebook:

You will occasionally get schedule conflicts when registering due to conflicting times. Don't worry about it...it will be taken care of by Leslie Jones. She knows this will happen to everyone so she goes in manually and fixes it after you've registered.

She probably hasn't responded because her inbox got flooded with everyone else having the same issue

I have the same problem...but this is from facebook:

She probably hasn't responded because her inbox got flooded with everyone else having the same issue

Thanks for your response...Unfortunately I am at work (which means no facebook!), but I was hoping that something like this was the case! :D

Did anyone else notice they spelled that class horribly wrong? Like patieient centered mediecine or something. I'm not a fan

Yeah, the admin spells everything wrong. I haven't received a single e-mail from admin that wasn't filled with obvious spelling and grammar mistakes. I moved down here about 3 weeks ago and once you come down here you will realize why admin makes so many mistakes and is always late in responding to our calls and e-mails.

Thanks for your response...Unfortunately I am at work (which means no facebook!), but I was hoping that something like this was the case! :D

Hah, no prob...I spent my day doing nothing, so glad I could help

Now it's time to find out where the information to order a white coat is hiding

Hah, no prob...I spent my day doing nothing, so glad I could help

Now it's time to find out where the information to order a white coat is hiding

You can order them at www.webmedbooks.com/nova

I went to the bookstore back in March while apartment hunting and was told that was the website to order them from. I ordered mine on Monday and it cost about $36. When I placed the order it said to allow 2-4 weeks for embroidering so if you want it embroidered with your name for the White Coat Ceremony I would order it soon.

I went to the bookstore back in March while apartment hunting and was told that was the website to order them from. I ordered mine on Monday and it cost about $36. When I placed the order it said to allow 2-4 weeks for embroidering so if you want it embroidered with your name for the White Coat Ceremony I would order it soon.

Thanks for the info!

They finally posted something about this on the Sharklink DO Class of 2014 Group page. They say the deadline to order is July 14, and it cost me about $29, but I elected to pick mine up on campus at the bookstore.

Yeah, thanks for the info- I went ahead and ordered mine. I guess Dr. Whitehead sent out the email prior to it being up on sharklink.

Dude, how was yours only $29? Mine was $39. Not really an issue but just weird that the price was different :confused:

Yeah, thanks for the info- I went ahead and ordered mine. I guess Dr. Whitehead sent out the email prior to it being up on sharklink.

Dude, how was yours only $29? Mine was $39. Not really an issue but just weird that the price was different :confused:

I don't know why everybody is getting a different price. Mine was 25.97.

maybe it depends on how long everyone's name is?? the longer it is, the more embroidering they have to do...i have no clue, just a random guess

That is weird! Mine was $26 as well. I hope we all bought the same one.

Even the Dean's emails have spelling and grammar mistakes. It doesn't come across very professional.

That's weird, I went back on there today (to see if I was crazy) and it was $39 for the same coat. I ordered last night and I only paid $28.09. Here was the breakdown:

Qty 1 $ 26.25 Mens Six Pocket Consultation Coat Size: 46-Long
Qty 1 $ 0.25 Embroidery and Patch Application... 2 Lines of Nova Script | Line 1:<<DitchDoc73>> | Line 2:Student Physician | Style: Osteopathic Medicine

Tax $1.59
Grand Total $28.09

Last edited:
That's weird, I went back on there today (to see if I was crazy) and it was $39 for the same coat. I ordered last night and I only paid $28.09. Here was the breakdown:

Qty 1 $ 26.25 Mens Six Pocket Consultation Coat Size: 46-Long
Qty 1 $ 0.25 Embroidery and Patch Application... 2 Lines of Nova Script | Line 1:<<DitchDoc73>> | Line 2:Student Physician | Style: Osteopathic Medicine

Tax $1.59
Grand Total $28.09

DitchDoc73 a pretty bad a*s doctor name

I paid the same amount. I actually saw that there were two different coat sizes. One said "36-L" and the other one said "36-Long." The "36-L" was 38 something dollars while "36-Long" was 28 something dollars. I have no idea what the difference is though

DitchDoc73 a pretty bad a*s doctor name

I paid the same amount. I actually saw that there were two different coat sizes. One said "36-L" and the other one said "36-Long." The "36-L" was 38 something dollars while "36-Long" was 28 something dollars. I have no idea what the difference is though

I wonder if one is actually a long white coat, not the short student ones and the other one is long as in suit size long. Weirdness.

I wonder if one is actually a long white coat, not the short student ones and the other one is long as in suit size long. Weirdness.
That may be the issue...They have now taken the "Long" ones off of the website, and only have the "-L" ones on there.

And they finally fixed the time conflict in the registration program. You are now able to sign up for all of your classes online....

Last edited:
I will give $100 cash to the first M1 who embroiders their white coat with "The [First Name]"

They are all $39. My bill and receipt said $25, but they charged my credit card $39. I still can't get in touch with anyone who can fix it.