NSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will give $100 cash to the first M1 who embroiders their white coat with "The [First Name]"

haha...ordered mine already :(

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if one is actually a long white coat, not the short student ones and the other one is long as in suit size long. Weirdness.

Nope, that's just if you are on the taller side to make sure it doesn't fall at your belly button. Showing midrift(sp?) to patients is discourage here at Nova Southeastern.

Aww man...what am I going to do with all these tube tops now?

I'm kidding...I'm a guy :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I'm planing a snowboarding trip in December and would like to know when finals week is going to be held so I can plan my trip accordingly. So if anyone can share when the M1's concluded their first semester last year or if anyone can let me know about the final day for incoming M1's this year it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for responses and I'm looking forward to getting this thing started! lol :)

hey everybody, I have been out of school for a while and was wondering if there was any material that any of the upperclassmen would recommend to refresh on? I have this whole month and I am ready to start hitting the books or what not. Any recommondations on any books to buy so I can start studying? thanks

also, are there any groups where the students can interact with each other? I looked on facebook, sharlink, etc. but I couldn't find anything that was active. Thanks.

hey everybody, I have been out of school for a while and was wondering if there was any material that any of the upperclassmen would recommend to refresh on? I have this whole month and I am ready to start hitting the books or what not. Any recommondations on any books to buy so I can start studying? thanks

I'm going to be an M1 this year so take my advice w/a grain of salt, but I think everyone would agree that First Aid USMLE Step 1 book is a good option for you if you want to review your previous knowledge and get a good idea of what you're going to be expected to know for the COMLEX/USMLE step 1 exams. Book is around 45 $ I believe. Reviewing anatomy is another legit way to kill some time before school starts in my opinion. Hope that helps.

Nothing you read will be that helpful at this point. Take it easy and save your energy for 1st year, you will need it.

I agree with redrumi...everything you think you know will be out the window once you start. No matter how much reading you try and do between now and August will not help you and once you start you will be in class all day and then studying until it's time to go to bed. So save your energy and enjoy your last month of freedom as you will have no free time soon. Enjoy spending time with friends and family and do all your favorite things!

First Aid is mostly M2 material. Not so much for reviewing undergrad.

for 95% of the class - save your energy. dont study. relax. get organized.

for the 5% of non-traditional students who have been out 5+ years... i'd open a book and just get used to studying again. we had a lot of students in this category that had a very difficult first semester because they hadnt been required to study in years. just open up some an anatomy or physiology book and get used to reading for a few hours and trying to retain the big pictures of things. dont try to work on small details cause that would be useless.

hey guys! just a fin aid question.

i have completed two forms of entrance counseling for my plus loans. One on the .gov website and another on some website i found through webstar. They are also telling me that they want an "entrance interview". I asked them what that is and they couldnt give me a clear answer...i'd like to get it taken care of so i can get my $$ on time.

your thoughts?

Thanks for the responses! Any recommendation by any upperclassman on which books we should and should NOT buy?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! just a fin aid question.

i have completed two forms of entrance counseling for my plus loans. One on the .gov website and another on some website i found through webstar. They are also telling me that they want an "entrance interview". I asked them what that is and they couldnt give me a clear answer...i'd like to get it taken care of so i can get my $$ on time.

your thoughts?

They are one in the same...NSU Financial Aid office is (supposedly) having difficulty getting the information from the government loaded into their system in a timely fashion. It took over 3 months for my MPNs and Entrance Interviews that I completed to show as completed on NSU financial aid's website.

also, are there any groups where the students can interact with each other? I looked on facebook, sharlink, etc. but I couldn't find anything that was active. Thanks.

The FB group is pretty active... Search NSUCOM Class of 2014

Under my financial aid status it still lists me as Out of State, but under fee assessment it has me listed for In State tuition....does this mean they have recognized me as in state?

Under my financial aid status it still lists me as Out of State, but under fee assessment it has me listed for In State tuition....does this mean they have recognized me as in state?

I have the same thing...I think that Financial Aid is just behind in updating their website...

I think the financial aid office is just getting hammered in general right now. I tried calling the other day and couldn't even get through to check up on my grad plus loan application i submitted a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the responses! Any recommendation by any upperclassman on which books we should and should NOT buy?

the only book you will need to buy is Netters Anatomy Atlas

Don't buy anything else at all. All notes are handed out in class and these are sufficient.

I'd also like to add that a significant number of people in our class had to remediate physiology and not everyone made it to second year because of they failed the remediation exam. Do not **** that class up

Ilikefood is right, be very wary of physiology! It's one of those classes where you'll think you understand the material but unless you absolutely 100% understand how to apply that information in more ways than one, then you will be totally screwed on the exam. Do not underestimate this class! If you do poorly on one exam, immediately seek out help from various tutors because I hear the remediation exam is extremely hard to pass.

the only book you will need to buy is Netters Anatomy Atlas

Don't buy anything else at all. All notes are handed out in class and these are sufficient.

We got ours for free for joining SOMA... but I'm a 4th year so it may have change. I recommend waiting on all books. Also, reading first aid before starting M1 year is a terrible idea. You're going to be majorly behind after day 1 no matter what you do, haha. Enjoy your last days of the easy life.

I also disagree on the notes are sufficient business/ They are sufficient to pass the exams or even do well, but you want to learn as much of the basics as possible and some of the notes just plain suck, but don't buy a book until you see you need it. A lot of your classmates will be caught in the rush to get every recommended resource known to mankind, which is pretty silly.

Overall advice: don't make getting A's a priority, make understand the material a priority. Those are 2 different things. You will have old exams that are very similar to new exam if things are still the way they were 2-3 years ago. If you just do the old exams, you won't have a slid grasp of the fundamentals, and medicine is just building and building on top of the fundamentals. Enjoy.
P.s. sorry if it was a rambly post, I have step 2 in 4 days.

Last edited:
We got ours for free for joining SOMA... but I'm a 4th year so it may have change. I recommend waiting on all books. Also, reading first aid before starting M1 year is a terrible idea. You're going to be majorly behind after day 1 no matter what you do, haha. Enjoy your last days of the easy life.

I also disagree on the notes are sufficient business/ They are sufficient to pass the exams or even do well, but you want to learn as much of the basics as possible and some of the notes just plain suck, but don't buy a book until you see you need it. A lot of your classmates will be caught in the rush to get every recommended resource known to mankind, which is pretty silly.

Overall advice: don't make getting A's a priority, make understand the material a priority. Those are 2 different things. You will have old exams that are very similar to new exam if things are still the way they were 2-3 years ago. If you just do the old exams, you won't have a slid grasp of the fundamentals, and medicine is just building and building on top of the fundamentals. Enjoy.
P.s. sorry if it was a rambly post, I have step 2 in 4 days.

Thanks for the info! Good luck on Step 2!

Has anybody looked at Nova's health insurance plan? Do you know of any better options for families? It seems expensive and has a $200k maximum.

Has anybody looked at Nova's health insurance plan? Do you know of any better options for families? It seems expensive and has a $200k maximum.
For a while I thought I would have to put my wife and I on private health insurance and for a family the SOMA health insurance is much cheaper. I would look into SOMA's health insurance plan, it is on their website. For my wife and I it was about $300 a month and the benefits were better than the school's.

The annual premium seems a little high...but I don't really get some parts of the plan. Do we not have to pay anything (for covered services) if we have it done at one of the NSU health centers?

also...in regards to the $200k maximum...isn't that per individual per benefit period (so basically per person for a year)? most other plans have lifetime maximums listed

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure about the 200k maximum. It seems like it is annual limit, but I am not sure.

The SOMA site has a 100k annual limit but an unlimited lifetime max.

Ilikefood is right, be very wary of physiology! It's one of those classes where you'll think you understand the material but unless you absolutely 100% understand how to apply that information in more ways than one, then you will be totally screwed on the exam. Do not underestimate this class! If you do poorly on one exam, immediately seek out help from various tutors because I hear the remediation exam is extremely hard to pass.

What exactly happens if you fail physio and the remediation class? Do you have to repeat first year? Does anyone know about how many people fail it?

you wont be allowed to continue on to the second year. lets say you fail just one class - your basically waiting around for that one class to take again. if you fail (and fail remediation) for 9 credit hours of class then you must retake the entire year all classes.

also, if there have been any changes to the curriculum for the following years class (like if they add a new class that you havent taken before) then you must take those classes as well. so for people that were 2013 and are now in the 2014 they must take the spanish classes and board review classes which have just been added to the curriculum. since now they are part of 2014.

it sounds like 8-10 people a year must do this. there are usually a couple that also join the next years class for personal reasons (family, weddings, kids, illlness etc)

your tuition is adjusted for the number of credit hours you will take. they wont charge you full tuition. loans are also adjusted so this can be difficult for some.

its a tough process to understand - let me know if you have more Q's. i was actually in the process of finding/getting all this information together for the 2014 class. bottom line - dont fail phys cause remediations exams are suppossed to be really difficult. (see rules of the house of nova on inv log)

Does anybody have any idea as to when the balance of our financial aid will be disbursed?

July 26th seems to be the date everyone is getting. To check:

User ID is your N#
- click on Financial Aid towards the bottom of that page
- click on Award then Award Payment Schedule
- select aid year then submit

It should display your loan disbursement amounts as well as the date of disbursement.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

and are now in the 2014 they must take the spanish classes and board review classes which have just been added to the curriculum.

Did they add medical spanish, because it was not one of the classes that we had to sign up for...Just curious, I keep hearing this from several sources, but nothing officially...

yes - first semester is an intro to spanish and second semester is medical spanish.

They don't have the class listed to register for so I don't know what they plan on doing.

Just a heads up...I checked my financial aid status on webstar, and it said I had missing requirements. I had to recomplete my Stafford MPN (even though I did it months ago) and complete a separate MPN for the Grad plus loan. Not sure why...but you may need to redo those for loan disbursement or talk to NSU financial aid about it.

fyi in case they haven't told you, your first semester schedule is posted on sharklink under the medicine tab, the m2 schedule magically appeared last night as well.

FYI - school sponsored beach party the Sunday before classes at Fort Lauderdale Beach. I'll post the details next week.

NSUCOM c/o 2014 BBQ BEACH PARTY:

Sunday August 1st from 12:00 - 4:00

At Fort Lauderdale beach by the Sheraton Hotel-Yankee Clipper.

Take 595 east to US1 north, turn right on 17th, take 17th all the way to the beach - it will bend north after the bridge and its on your right. As soon as you start seeing the beach thats the parking lot you want to turn into. We will be near the jungle gym and basketball court. Will have signs/balloons.

Food and drink provided. Feel free to bring footballs, volleyballs, games, etc.

nsucom c/o 2014 bbq beach party:

Sunday august 1st from 12:00 - 4:00

at fort lauderdale beach by the sheraton hotel-yankee clipper.

Take 595 east to us1 north, turn right on 17th, take 17th all the way to the beach - it will bend north after the bridge and its on your right. As soon as you start seeing the beach thats the parking lot you want to turn into. We will be near the jungle gym and basketball court. will have signs/balloons.

food and drink provided. Feel free to bring footballs, volleyballs, games, etc.

good idea!

Hi everyone! Congrats on getting in! I'm a 4th year (finally!) so if you have any questions go for it!
Good luck this upcoming year! Study hard, try to learn as much as you can and just go with the flow. This combo will assure you a happy year :)

this has probably been asked before...but where are people buying their scrubs from locally?

this has probably been asked before...but where are people buying their scrubs from locally?

found a good deal at uniform advantage recently which is about a 10min drive from nova in the pines mall. (mapquest it)...have any ceil blue style you prefer :thumbup:

best deal however is if you worked/volunteered at a hospital and can grab a few pairs before you leave. Scrubs are such a waste of money especially when you throw a few away after wearing them in anatomy lab

My experience last year was finding all the local stores to be out of my size, which is a normal size. I also went on a wild goose chase hunting down stores I found online, only to not find them (I think a lot had closed down). Here is the local one I think most students had success with:
Uniforms For America
7051 West Broward Boulevard,
Plantation, FL 33317

The NSU bookstore sells some, but they don't have elastic on the pants to hold them up or pockets in the pants. I got my scrubs from www.allheart.com , I think there are always coupon codes out there if you google them.

At uniforms for America I got two tops and two bottoms for 12 bucks each because they have a sale buy 3 pieces get the 4th for free on Cherokee scrubs. The staff was really helpfully as well.

Uniforms For America
7051 West Broward Boulevard,
Plantation, FL 33317

this is where i go. very nice people and always have different deals like buy 1 get 1 type things. great place