KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was it possible to catch up on the missing lecture?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I mean you still get the powerpoint, which in theory has all the information they want you to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are y'all excited for orientation week?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Absolutely! I know better than to wish time away and say I wish it were already here, but it os an exciting time on the horizon!

Reactions: 1 user

Heck yeah. Speaking of...has anyone had success RSVP-ing for the Royals game?

I got to the form, but I need to contact student services because I'm hoping for a couple extra tickets so I can bring my Father and brothers as well as my kids and husband.

It keeps telling me that the form has been discontinued. I guess we need to contact student services?

I'm really excited for orientation! The drive from Alaska that I start this weekend...not so much.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm really excited for orientation! The drive from Alaska that I start this weekend...not so much.

I have a good friend and classmate from Alaska too! Not sure if he drove here but still, wow, makes my drive from CA chump change haha.

If any of you have any more questions feel free to post em here. We will try our best to answer them!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a good friend and classmate from Alaska too! Not sure if he drove here but still, wow, makes my drive from CA chump change haha.

If any of you have any more questions feel free to post em here. We will try our best to answer them!

Why aren't you studying for MOD?

Hey guys, quick question. Do I really need to get a medical kit as soon as possible? I saw lots of people selling them on FB and just wondering if its ok for me to wait until student loans kick in.

Hey guys, quick question. Do I really need to get a medical kit as soon as possible? I saw lots of people selling them on FB and just wondering if its ok for me to wait until student loans kick in.
We needed ours the first week of classes.

I dont think you need a the bag part honestly.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

If you're organized enough to keep all your tools in one spot and know where they are then sure. But personally I have all my tools in a bag and there's where I know they are and that provides me some solace lol.

Could probably just use any old bag to keep your stuff together though....? Haha

If you're organized enough to keep all your tools in one spot and know where they are then sure. But personally I have all my tools in a bag and there's where I know they are and that provides me some solace lol.
Where do people buy the kits new and what's the average cost?

Where do people buy the kits new and what's the average cost?

They usually have you order them through the bookstore, but since the bookstore is closing/closed....I don't know where they'll have them come from brand new.

I bought mine brand new and it cost a little over $900.

Could probably just use any old bag to keep your stuff together though....? Haha

The point is that having a big bag that's just for your tools will make your life extremely easier. You don't want to have your KCC day and realize you forgot a random tool back home or etc.

The point is that having a big bag that's just for your tools will make your life extremely easier. You don't want to have your KCC day and realize you forgot a random tool back home or etc.

If you're saying you need a dedicated bag for your medical equipment, I agree with you and that was how I intended that post. I don't think anyone needs to get a specific KCU medical kit bag for their medical tools.

I wouldn't pay for some specific medical bag when I have many other equally useful bags just laying around

If you're saying you need a dedicated bag for your medical equipment, I agree with you and that was how I intended that post. I don't think anyone needs to get a specific KCU medical kit bag for their medical tools.

I wouldn't pay for some specific medical bag when I have many other equally useful bags just laying around

Right.

But how will people know I'm cool and important and smart at the grocery store if I'm carrying around an unmarked bag full of medical equipment??????

Reactions: 2 users
But how will people know I'm cool and important and smart at the grocery store if I'm carrying around an unmarked bag full of medical equipment??????

You're supposed to go to the grocery store with your instruments in your white coat and scrubs if you actually wanna be cool ;)

So I went out and bought some red food coloring...you can get it from HyVee. So what I do is I wear my scrubs but I spray the food coloring on them so it looks like I just came out of surgery. Then, as I am walking around the grocery store, I pretend like I am talking on the phone to my colleagues about the life we just saved with my magic hands.

Reactions: 2 users
It was a few hours last year. I don't remember exactly how long.

They had sandwiches and salads and stuff at school for lunch.

I believe I left the auditorium it was around 3 or 4ish.

Does anyone (@AlteredScale @SynapticDoctah @Higherprimate @Drrrrrr. Celty ) remember about how long the White Coat Ceremony lasted last year? Trying to help family book flights. Also, is "heavy hors d’oeuvres" like a light lunch or...?

My parents were able to make a 6pm flight that day with no problem and we went to the school afterwards as well. I think they left my apartment around 4, takes about 20 minutes from school to get to the airport :)

For those of you involved in research, when did you start looking for opportunities/actually start doing research?

Thanks!

Well dang, I was really hoping Apple would show the new MacBook pro today at wwdc, but looks like it is strictly software. :(

So what do y'all think, should I go ahead and get the MacBook pro now, or wait until late July?

If you live in a state with sales tax, you might want to wait until the tax-free weekend in Kansas City but I think that is a week after class starts. If you don't care about sales tax, I don't see why you would wait!

Well dang, I was really hoping Apple would show the new MacBook pro today at wwdc, but looks like it is strictly software. :(

So what do y'all think, should I go ahead and get the MacBook pro now, or wait until late July?

Their upgrade from Haswell to Skylake isn't really going to bring major increases i.e tops 10% CPU improvement. Likewise the AMD Polaris GPUs on the higher ends are still going to be low ends like m470x which will probably preform about like a gtx 850m or at best a 860m ( Though with the ventilation and thermal issues it'll be lucky to hit 850m preformance in productivity or even gaming on windows os).

I was thinking the same thing as you, but the sales tax holiday in my state isn't till after we start.

Also I have been a PC user my whole life, minus the iPhone, so I was thinking it might be best to get the pro soon so I can start becoming proficient with it before classes start.

Watching a few tutorials on youtube helps.

I gotcha. Well I'm not much of a gamer except for Total War: Rome lol. But I was thinking I should wait to get the newest model for increased longevity to get me through the next 5 years and into residency (if I get in of course).

5 years? You planning on repeating a year already? haha

Their upgrade from Haswell to Skylake isn't really going to bring major increases i.e tops 10% CPU improvement. Likewise the AMD Polaris GPUs on the higher ends are still going to be low ends like m470x which will probably preform about like a gtx 850m or at best a 860m ( Though with the ventilation and thermal issues it'll be lucky to hit 850m preformance in productivity or even gaming on windows os).

I know this computer will be totally unnecessary for school, but for the 27 inch iMAC, is it worth it to get the upgrade to 1TB Flash, The RAM upgrade and the i7 upgrade?

I gotcha. Well I'm not much of a gamer except for Total War: Rome lol. But I was thinking I should wait to get the newest model for increased longevity to get me through the next 5 years and into residency (if I get in of course).

Longevity really always had to do with constraints in Ram and HD failing. Macbooks are already SSD PCIE storage so they can last for a decade and 8 gbs will be enough to manage non-productivity ( I.e if you don't use adobe or etc) for a good while. I think you can wait to buy a laptop as your ipad will function as your note taking device as long as you also have some sort of other computer like a desktop or a laptop that will be fine till the new ones come out in September.

I know this computer will be totally unnecessary for school, but for the 27 inch iMAC, is it worth it to get the upgrade to 1TB Flash, The RAM upgrade and the i7 upgrade?

If you're the type of person who uses their computer for music, vidoes, and facebook then no. I would upgrade to 16gbs of ram, but 1tb of flash will not make loading safari or itunes faster. It will make running photoshop or loading bigger computer files faster, but the 2tb fusion drive has a 240 gb SSD partition when I last did my research into it. Likewise the i5 v.s i7 will not be noticeable unless you use hyper-threading dependent programs like adobe, encoding, opengl/cl, etc.

I don't want to be that guy who basically tells everyone to go use a windows computer, because I really do like macs. But the iMacs suffer not only from the same issues that all, all in one computers do ( Poor thermals, not enough space for stuff), but they are not upgradable and their tech is priced at a point that you could go to a boutique builder that makes custom computers and get a full computer with the newest generation tech. But mind you, I game moderately and as such I need a gpu and I enjoy good thermals and what not.

Unless you are a gamer, the i7 may not be with the price of upgrade. Ram is that machine is user installable, meaning you may get more bang for the buck not getting apple ram pre installed. The flash storage is always a nice option though.

As a side note, any Mac purchase right now also qualifies for a free pair of beats wireless headphones (since we are students).

If you're the type of person who uses their computer for music, vidoes, and facebook then no. I would upgrade to 16gbs of ram, but 1tb of flash will not make loading safari or itunes faster. It will make running photoshop or loading bigger computer files faster, but the 2tb fusion drive has a 240 gb SSD partition when I last did my research into it. Likewise the i5 v.s i7 will not be noticeable unless you use hyper-threading dependent programs like adobe, encoding, opengl/cl, etc.

I don't want to be that guy who basically tells everyone to go use a windows computer, because I really do like macs. But the iMacs suffer not only from the same issues that all, all in one computers do ( Poor thermals, not enough space for stuff), but they are not upgradable and their tech is priced at a point that you could go to a boutique builder that makes custom computers and get a full computer with the newest generation tech. But mind you, I game moderately and as such I need a gpu and I enjoy good thermals and what not.

Thanks for the info. For the most part, I will use the computer for videos, music and browsing the internet. I really like the SSD on my laptop so I have been leaning towards that. Do you think the 512 SSD is enough storage to get me through medical school? When I was looking at the 2 TB fusion I thought I saw that it only comes with 128 TB of flash.

Thanks for the info. For the most part, I will use the computer for videos, music and browsing the internet. I really like the SSD on my laptop so I have been leaning towards that. Do you think the 512 SSD is enough storage to get me through medical school? When I was looking at the 2 TB fusion I thought I saw that it only comes with 128 TB of flash.

128gb of flash is fine honestly. I have a 120gb boot drive ssd in my computer and It's half full ( you want it to be at most 70% full to keep speeds high) as I keep most of my files on my hd. Videos, photos, and music do not benefit from being on an ssd and are not faster than on a hd for viewing/use.

512 gigs is fine. I personally only use about 200 gigs of storage on my computer not counting games. If you feel like it's not enough buy a 1 to 4tb external hard drive for 100 bucks and you'll be able to transmit information that way.

Unless you are a gamer, the i7 may not be with the price of upgrade. Ram is that machine is user installable, meaning you may get more bang for the buck not getting apple ram pre installed. The flash storage is always a nice option though.

As a side note, any Mac purchase right now also qualifies for a free pair of beats wireless headphones (since we are students).

The difference between an i5's preformance in gaming and an i7 is under 5 frames per second as most games do not use hyperthreading. It's primarily useful for people who do productivity, i.e run adobe, video editing, model, etc. Realistically even an i5 is overkill for students who just use word, watch netflix, and facebook.

On an unrelated note, what books, if any, should I get prior to loan disbursement? There is a bookstore that's serves the medical college in town going out of business and I can score some deals in the next couple of weeks. For example, I bought a new copy of Panini's biochem for 8 bucks and dubin's ekg for 4.

On an unrelated note, what books, if any, should I get prior to loan disbursement? There is a bookstore that's serves the medical college in town going out of business and I can score some deals in the next couple of weeks. For example, I bought a new copy of Panini's biochem for 8 bucks and dubin's ekg for 4.

Where is the bookstore?

I was wondering if we accepted the amount thatw e were given on the loan website, is that all there is to it? Or do we need to figure out our own private loans? This might be a really bad question to ask around this time..