NSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At the Rolling Hills Graduate Housing, while there are health "themed" floors, a lot of my friends who requested HPD quads in hopes of living with other COM students were put with students who belonged to other HPD divisions i.e. PA, Pharm, etc, or with students from non-health fields. Upside: you get to meet people in different programs. Downside: Our Monday exam schedule makes weekend socializing non-existent, so hope they aren't party animals. (Unless you all are getting block exams like the M2s next year?)

Off campus is nice too. Students in my class live anywhere from downtown/the beach to Weston, and West Palm to Miami. Really it's all up to how long of a drive you're cool with. I live in Sunforest and have been pretty happy with it. Definitely get a roommate - Singles here go for ~$1000 - $1100 / month and my roommate and I live in the largest style double (1200sq.ft) for $1325.

ps. facebook is for sure the way to find your roomies - just use your class 'group.' Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me the average price down in FL for blackberry services? (Regular packages with BBM, unlimited email, free evenings/weekends and about 100-200 wk day talk minutes) ?

Can anyone tell me the average price down in FL for blackberry services? (Regular packages with BBM, unlimited email, free evenings/weekends and about 100-200 wk day talk minutes) ?

i think it depends on your service. i have a blackberry and it runs about 100 a month with taxes and all, using verizon wireless. if anything, check your service provider and type in the zip code of the school to check to see if your plan would change at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it depends on your service. i have a blackberry and it runs about 100 a month with taxes and all, using verizon wireless. if anything, check your service provider and type in the zip code of the school to check to see if your plan would change at all.

thanks booster: so for 2 phones would it be $200/month or do service providers in the US offer packaged deals? what provider would you recommend?

thanks booster: so for 2 phones would it be $200/month or do service providers in the US offer packaged deals? what provider would you recommend?

you may be better off getting a family plan where you share a set amount of minutes. AT&T and Verizon are the big service providers. Others are t-mobile, metro PCS, and others. I have never had a problem with verizon, although I think there are cheaper service providers. It all depends on what you want. Best bet is to search their websites or contact a sales person. Good luck.

att has something called the fan program, it is a discount plan, i think 15% for nova students, you can sign up on the website, or through the att near nova (probably any other retail location too) you just need to use your nsu email address. works on iphone plans too and family plans, even on the data. i pay 25 instead of 30 bux a month for the iphone data plan.

Does anyone know if students are allowed to purchase a car with the financial aid funds? Some med schools (http://www.meded.umn.edu/financial/budget.php#Car) have a policy where they only allow x amount of dollars from the private lender to go towards a car, but I haven't found anything on the NSUCOM financial aid site to suggest this.

If any first-year's have any experience with this, then please chime in b/c knowing if I am going to have a car or not is going to seriously impact where I choose to live. THANKS!

Does anyone know if students are allowed to purchase a car with the financial aid funds? Some med schools (http://www.meded.umn.edu/financial/budget.php#Car) have a policy where they only allow x amount of dollars from the private lender to go towards a car, but I haven't found anything on the NSUCOM financial aid site to suggest this.

If any first-year's have any experience with this, then please chime in b/c knowing if I am going to have a car or not is going to seriously impact where I choose to live. THANKS!

What you linked to appears to be for a specific car-related loan that you can apply for through Minnesota. It is my understanding that if you take out loans from Nova above and beyond your tuition and fees, you can do whatever you want with the money. They disburse it after school begins (i.e. cut you a check or direct deposit it), half prior to fall semester and half prior to spring. The maximum yearly amount is calculated based on living expenses for the school year (rent, food, travel, etc). Even if you're staying, say with a family member for free, you can take out $35,000 for "living expenses" and buy a car, boat, etc. I think it is assumed that most people need what they take out to cover their living costs, but it is up to you what you want to take on debt-wise. I'll probably take out a little extra beyond my costs for rent/food for "just in case" things.. like if my engine goes, I need my wisdom teeth out, etc. A down payment on a care could certainly be one of these necessities for you...

Your information from the interview should have the total breakdown of 2010-2011 Cost of Attendance.. but again, remember that what they calculate for "board" (let's say $15,000) or other categories are only an estimate. If you get a roommate and a good deal, maybe you can get by on $8,000 a year for rent. I think the total is around $78-80k per year that can be borrowed through Stafford/Non-Stafford/Grad + loans. This is typically MUCH more than anyone would need.

Last edited:
So if i wanted to take out 65,000 for the year the school will give that to me? Does the FAFSA determine what type of loans you get? (Subsidized/non-subsidized)

Generally speaking, yes. To be be offered federal Stafford loans you have to be eligible- most medical students are, unless you're sitting on a pile of money. You are considered an independent gradaute professional student and based on your FAFSA, you will likely get this aid. The maximum federal allowance per academic year for medical students is $40,500. $8500 of this is subsidized (interest paid by gov. while in school) and the reamining $32,000 of this Stafford loan is unsubsidized (interest accrues while you're in school). The remaining difference between the $40,500 and the estimated Cost of Attendance is offered in the form of Grad Plus loans. Important to note about Grad Plus loans- they are NOT based on financial need, but they ARE based on credit. If you have bad credit you may not be able to get Grad Plus loans, so you definitely want to check that out.

So yes, you can take $65,000 but remember that tuition will take about 40k of this off the top, so in this situation you'll be left with roughly 25k for all living expensises- car, rent, food, travel, clothes, fun, etc etc

The last important number to know is $224,000. This is the maximum LIFETIME amount you can borrow from the federal government. It matters bc if you borrowed your max for 4 years of of undergrad at an expensive private school, you may approach or exceed this during medical school.

If you haven't familiarized yourself with these different loans and cost of attendance calculations and you'll be taking loans to cover your education, you probably want to start checking it out. A great reference is:

http://www.finaid.org/loans/studentloan.phtml (make sure to look specifically for independent medical student information)

To find out what loans you currently owe if you aren't sure, you can go to www.nslds.ed.gov (You have to enter your FAFSA pin)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Generally speaking, yes. To be be offered federal Stafford loans you have to be eligible- most medical students are, unless you're sitting on a pile of money. You are considered an independent gradaute professional student and based on your FAFSA, you will likely get this aid. The maximum federal allowance per academic year for medical students is $40,500. $8500 of this is subsidized (interest paid by gov. while in school) and the reamining $32,000 of this Stafford loan is unsubsidized (interest accrues while you're in school). The remaining difference between the $40,500 and the estimated Cost of Attendance is offered in the form of Grad Plus loans. Important to note about Grad Plus loans- they are NOT based on financial need, but they ARE based on credit. If you have bad credit you may not be able to get Grad Plus loans, so you definitely want to check that out.

So yes, you can take $65,000 but remember that tuition will take about 40k of this off the top, so in this situation you'll be left with roughly 25k for all living expensises- car, rent, food, travel, clothes, fun, etc etc

The last important number to know is $224,000. This is the maximum LIFETIME amount you can borrow from the federal government. It matters bc if you borrowed your max for 4 years of of undergrad at an expensive private school, you may approach or exceed this during medical school.

If you haven't familiarized yourself with these different loans and cost of attendance calculations and you'll be taking loans to cover your education, you probably want to start checking it out. A great reference is:

http://www.finaid.org/loans/studentloan.phtml (make sure to look specifically for independent medical student information)

To find out what loans you currently owe if you aren't sure, you can go to www.nslds.ed.gov (You have to enter your FAFSA pin)

Quick question for you since you seem to be well versed .. Does the 224k limit included Grad+ loans? As in the aggregate lifetime sub/unsub stafford + grad+ =< 224k?

Quick question for you since you seem to be well versed .. Does the 224k limit included Grad+ loans? As in the aggregate lifetime sub/unsub stafford + grad+ =< 224k?

No the aggregate limit is just for the staffords both sub and unsub. The grad plus has no aggregate limit and is therefore available to you over and above the staffords, both per semester and lifetime. Keep in mind it has a higher interest rate of 8.5%. Always max out your staffords first each semester and if you reduce the amount you want to take out do it from your gradplus first.

IamAriDO

Hey guys,
I know housing has been discussed a lot but I was wondering if any of the current students can comment on sunforest apartments (right across the st from NSU) and Plantation Gardens(plantation, FL). I'm on vacation in Ft. Lauderdale right now and I looked at both and I liked them but Plantation Gardens was cheaper but farther away. I will have a car but I'm more concerned about safety issues and dealing with the landlords.

Thanks for your time

Hey guys,
I know housing has been discussed a lot but I was wondering if any of the current students can comment on sunforest apartments (right across the st from NSU) and Plantation Gardens(plantation, FL). I'm on vacation in Ft. Lauderdale right now and I looked at both and I liked them but Plantation Gardens was cheaper but farther away. I will have a car but I'm more concerned about safety issues and dealing with the landlords.

Thanks for your time

hey, i've been looking into apartments in davie for a while too

this might help as far as getting an idea of apartment locations relative to campus

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/FL-Davie.html#map

The site also hosts reviews from most of the apartments in the area and it seems like sunforest gets slammed BIG time in those reviews. Naturally, you should take the reviews as you want to. When i visited sunforest, the place looked great, the staff pretty much laid out all the costs out, and it seemed like a pretty popular student community to me.

Plantations gardens was another one of the places we went to and for one thing, the apartment's are HUGE...easily 100-150sq ft. bigger than sunforest and they don't charge extra for the vaulted ceilings. As far as reviews, plantations didn't get as many bad ones as sunforest.

hope this helps

Hi,

Sorry this is long....

I too went apartment hunting this past week. Here is what I found (keep in mind that I was only looking at studios and 1brs and I have 2 cats):

Also for any non-smokers or those sensitive to smoke keep in mind that almost all (~95%) of the apartment complexes allow smoking in the apartments in Florida.

Laurels at Jacaranda (Plantation):

The studio was really nice and clean. The price was OK ($863-1023 for 680 square feet). A big sticking point for me at this complex was the pet cost ($500 non-refundable per pet). The woman I spoke to said they *may* be able to reduce this but I would have to talk to Cesar the Leasing Manager. They do offer a 3% rent discount for all NOVA students. This place also has individual water meters in all the units which is nice. In most places in Florida each building shares one water meter and it is divided up by how many people live in the building. It also has a stackable washer/dryer in the studio.

They will not know about availability until May as they only require 60 day notice for tenants. They were currently running a special with reduced application fees, security deposit, and administrative fees but basically said during the busy season (the summer) these specials are not run.

As far as the smoking in the apartments the woman gave me an attitude when I asked about it and said that it wasn't her problem and the maintenance manager made the decision about carpets being replaced. When I spoke to Cesar on the phone I loved the place but once I got there and met with this other woman (who gave me Cesar's card when I asked, not hers) it went down on my list.

Jacaranda Club (Plantation):

On the phone it sounded fantastic and the price was awesome ($799 for a studio). It got the highest ratings on apartmentratings.com so I was really hopeful. Once I got there, not so much. The place is a DUMP! It was trash day and on trash day they take out the dumpsters from these cubbies that are next to some of the apartments and put them in the middle of the road. They are swarming with bugs and smell horrible. I can only imagine what it smells like if you are unfortunate enough to live next to once of the dumpster cubbies.

Some studios still have Murphy beds and have cabinets that haven't been updated since the 1970's. Also the kitchens have suspended ceilings that I am assuming were once white but are now dark brown (really gross). When you go on the tour they show you one of the nice, new updated studios (corner unit, new cabinets, etc.) but they only have very few of these and the chances of getting one are slim. The hallways are all concrete and really dark. This place has laundry facilities which are really expensive ($3 per load in really small washer/dryers).

I also didn't like the fact that when my father asked about safety the woman wouldn't answer him. When he pressed she said to visit the Broward county police station. This further concerned my father and he pressed some more. She eventually told him they have issues of stolen property and pets being stolen from cars (not a big deal but still).

Really cheap pet fee though ($200 flat for cats, and $500 for dogs) and the woman told me she knows everyone in the place and can put me in a unit in which there was little to no smoking. Oh there is also a $6/month trash fee. I am not sure what for as you have to walk down to the dumpster and put your trash in it.

I got the feeling there was a TON of vacancy and I just got a really bad vibe from this place.

Lakepointe at Jacaranda (Plantation):

When I went they didn't have a studio to show me so I didn't do a tour. It seemed nice enough but it was hard to tell without doing the tour. It is expensive here though for a studio. Currently standard studios were running $884-919 and "upgraded" were running $959-994 for only 635 square feet. There are also quite a few fees here:

$200/pet under 35lbs (refundable) on top of a $300/pet ownership fee (non-refundable)
All of the following are non-refundable:
$250 move-in administrative fee
$80 application fee
$30 guarantor application fee (if needed)
$40 Spousal add-on fee
$300 deposit on 1br ($500 for 2br)
$50 fitness center key
$30/month covered parking fee (if desired)
and something called a Short term premium for $50/month (not sure what this is and I forgot to ask)

This place is also on the opposite side of the street from NOVA (about 10mins with no traffic) and you have to do a weird u-turn and then turn around again to get into the place.

This place also runs specials but won't be able to say what they are until the week before you sign your lease as they change weekly. They also require renter's insurance with $50,000 coverage.

Sunforest (Davie, 5min. walk to school):

I was really hesitant to look here because of the reviews but I am glad I did.

I was really impressed by the office staff and the complex. The 1br is HUGE (838 square feet) and has W/D hook-ups in the unit. The big selling point is the proximity to the school. I gathered from talking to some students and staff in the bookstore that there is a major traffic issue on University Drive. A quick 10min. drive can quickly turn into 25-30mins. depending on the traffic lights. I was also told that there is a parking issue at the Med School as well and that during the morning rush it takes a long time to get into the garage (I saw this on my interview day; a line of cars moving very slowly trying to get into the garage). This complex is a 5min. walk to the school.

However, this complex does have a lot of fees and is more expensive ($945-1080/month for 1br but nearly 200 square feet larger than Lakepointe and Laurels for about the same price).

Here is the breakdown on fees:
Refundable:
$600 security deposit ($700 for 2br)
$100 holding deposit ($150 for 2br, refunded if application is not approved, otherwise applied to your 1st months rent)
$50 amenity key fee

Non-Refundable:
$500/pet (however, I was given a break and got both for $600)
$350 Administrative fee
$75 Application fee (per applicant so if you need a guarantor it is another $75)

Also:
$25/month valet trash service (pick-up outside your door)
$40-95/month for water/sewer depending on usage (there is only 1 meter per building so it is split between all occupants)
Renter's insurance is also required here with $50,000 coverage.

The thing that sold me on this place was the office staff. I specifically asked about the extremely poor reviews on apartmentratings.com and the supposed mold issues. The assistant property manager Cheryl was horrified to hear this and made me show her the website. It was the first she had heard about the terrible reviews and called the maintenance manager over to read them himself. He explained to me that the review about mold was in fact mildew due to the extreme humidity in southern FL and that it is an issue everywhere. The person who wrote the review did not wipe down the windows as instructed by the complex to help prevent mildew formation. The maintenance manager said they will come in and clean-up mildew and install a dehumidifier for a few days if it does become an issue. He also suggested that using a dehumidifier is common and recommended in all complexes due to the humidity in order control mildew formation. Cheryl also saved the website to show to her boss. I was impressed by her professionalism and her ability to address my concerns.

All in all, I am renting here at Sunforest. All the 1br apartments are corner units which was nice. However, there is already a waiting list and I am 4th on the list for a 1br so if you want to guarantee yourself one you may want to call.

Take the ratings on apartmentratings.com with a grain of salt as people are most likely going to post when they are mad and angry. Also, I would highly recommend going down and taking a look around at several complexes to get a feel for what works for you.

A note about renter's insurance. $50,000 coverage runs about $118/year. You can also be added to your parents home insurance in your home state for MUCH less.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me or shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]) if you have any other questions.

Allison

Hiya,

Just thought I'd throw it out there that I'll be at NSU in the fall.

I've thought about finding a roommate, but most people I've talked to (i.e. friends already in school) suggest living alone the first year. Guess it all depends on your personality and how much personal space you need.

Also, anyone know about what kind of health insurance we get for being a student? I think I read that somewhere that it's limited so I'm thinking about purchasing my own.

Oh and thanks for all the helpful housing reviews guys!

P.S. Anyone looking for a basketball/workout buddy? Great way to unwind (at least for me)

hey
thanks for the great reviews. I'm thinking about coming back in may to finalize my housing stuff. If anyone else is down here then we should get together.:)

I'm always down for b-ball....I was kind of sad to see that there are only 2 courts at NSU's gym. For such a large campus, that gym seems like it was designed for a school a quarter of its size. My school's got like 12,000 students and our gym has 4-5 courts. Just ridiculous.

Haha, anyway, on a serious note, could some previous first year students help out a little? What are the really hard first year classes and what books were used for these classes? I want to get started since I'm doing nothing besides working right now.

I'm always down for b-ball....I was kind of sad to see that there are only 2 courts at NSU's gym. For such a large campus, that gym seems like it was designed for a school a quarter of its size. My school's got like 12,000 students and our gym has 4-5 courts. Just ridiculous.

Haha, anyway, on a serious note, could some previous first year students help out a little? What are the really hard first year classes and what books were used for these classes? I want to get started since I'm doing nothing besides working right now.

Don't bother. I say don't bother because you may have taken every class three times over and the environment is such, at least with the first semester, that everyone studies their f'in ass off for every single test, even the SMPers who've taken the classes before. Class avgs on tests ranged from 80% to 90% last semester. Nothing has changed this semester, except that now that everyones moreorless gelled socially and is used to the workload the environment is way calmer and friendlier. Love it. The best time in your med career is the time after acceptance and before matriculation. Do something else. I blew my wad on Europe and a cross country trip to Florida and it was worth every penny. **** studying!

But if you insist I'd say
First semester:
Gross anatomy and Physiology (we covered Cell and Cardio) were the hard ones.

Seconds Semester
Physiology (We cover Respiratory, Renal, Neuro, GI and something else) and Micro/Viro/Immuno, which is a single course mashup of the three

If you really insist on studying then study Physiology. Then when you're done study it again and again and again and again.

Like the previous reply said: I would not bother getting a jump start on things... enjoy your time off and take the time to yourself. Love life because you're at the best point of it. If you REALLY want to study--the two hardest courses are, as previously stated, Anatomy and Physiology (Specifically cardiovascular phys)... but studying these from textbooks is not really time well spent.... Wait until classes start--I know you're eager, we all were, but you gotta trust those that come before you--enjoy your time off.

Thanks for all the great advice on housing !

Last edited:
Hah, I appreciate the advice to relax and take trips, etc but I'm currently working and saving money. I really do nothing but go to work and then come home and be bored for 7 hours. I figured getting some reps in now would slowly ease me back into studying mode.

What textbook and what edition of it do y'all use for physio? Thanks a bunch.

When is everyone who lives out of state planning on looking at housing? I think I will make a trip in early April (without to-be-wife) or later May (with new-wife). Also, any chance on picking up a house for rent at a decent rate?

When is everyone who lives out of state planning on looking at housing? I think I will make a trip in early April (without to-be-wife) or later May (with new-wife). Also, any chance on picking up a house for rent at a decent rate?
Out-of-stater here too. I'm going to look for apts in late April/early May.

Hah, I appreciate the advice to relax and take trips, etc but I'm currently working and saving money. I really do nothing but go to work and then come home and be bored for 7 hours. I figured getting some reps in now would slowly ease me back into studying mode.

What textbook and what edition of it do y'all use for physio? Thanks a bunch.

To be honest, we don't. the textbook recommended is Medical Physiology, Second edition, by Boron and Boulpaep.... But I would say MAYBE 10% of the class actually has it. I bought it, unfortunately, and have only opened it up... once? Very few textbooks are actually used at Nova. almost all the material is handed out by the professors in note packets... that's the material that is taught and tested on. The textbook that I listed above contains WAY more material than you will ever see on boards, or on your tests--so it's kind of excessive. If you are looking for something to get started with at least, the board review series for physiology by Costanzo. Many students have this as supplemental.

But I PROMISE you: studying through textbooks will BARELY be effective. The perspective from which first semester physiology is taught is extremely unique at NSUCOM.

If you are THAT eager to study something: go for anatomy instead. It is pretty universal, we use Netters Anatomy Atlas, and doing well in anatomy can land you a paid anatomy fellowship between your first and second years.

.... the textbook recommended is Medical Physiology, Second edition, by Boron and Boulpaep.... But I would say MAYBE 10% of the class actually has it. I bought it, unfortunately, and have only opened it up... once? Very few textbooks are actually used at Nova. almost all the material is handed out by the professors in note packets... that's the material that is taught and tested on.

But I PROMISE you: studying through textbooks will BARELY be effective. The perspective from which first semester physiology is taught is extremely unique at NSUCOM.

Very good to know .... saves some $$ on overall cost

For Summer 2011, does anyone know when we end 1st year? And when we begin 2nd year classes?

For Summer 2011, does anyone know when we end 1st year? And when we begin 2nd year classes?

Here is the posted academic calendar...

NSU - College of Osteopathic Medicine
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program

Academic Calendar*
2010 - 2011

July 4 - 5, 2010 Independence Day, University Closed
July 6, 2010 M1 Summer Session Reconvenes
July 30, 2010 Summer Term Ends
August 2, 2010 Fall Term Begins
August 08, 2010 Opening Exercises/.White Coat Ceremony (Family)
August 09, 2010 Fall Term Registration Ends
September 6, 2010 Labor Day, No Classes
September 9, 2010 Rosh Hashanah
September 18, 2010 Yom Kippur, No Classes
November 1, 2010 Winter Term Registration Begins
November, 2010 M3 Residency Fair
November 25-26, 2010 Thanksgiving Holiday, University Closed
December, 2010 M2 Track Day
December 20, 2010 M1, M2 Fall Didactic Courses End
December 24, 2010 Christmas Holiday, University Closed
December 25, 2010 Christmas Holiday, University Closed
December 31, 2010 New Year’s Day, University Closed
December 31, 2010 M3, M4 Students Fall Term Ends
December 31, 2010 M1/M2 Field Experience/Community Service Opportunities
January 1, 2011 New Year’s Day, University Closed
January 3, 2011 Winter Term Begins
January 10, 2011 Winter Term Registration Ends
January 17, 2011 Martin Luther King Jr. Day, No Classes
March 1, 2011 Summer Term Registration Begins
March 14-18, 2011 Spring Recess. No M1, M2 Classes
April 22, 2011 University Closed
May 2, 2011 Fall Term Registration Begins
May 7, 2011 Winter Term Ends
May 9, 2011 Summer Term Begins
May 16, 2011 Summer Term Registration Ends
May 23-27, 2011 Senior Week
May , 2011 Senior Award Dinner
May 29, 2011 Graduation
May 30, 2011 Memorial Day, University Closed
May 31 – July 1, 2011 M1 Field Experiences/Community Service
July 4 , 2011 Independence Day, University Closed
July 5, 2011 M1 Summer Session Reconvenes
August 5, 2011 Summer Term Ends

August 8, 2011 Fall Term Begins
August 15, 2011 Fall Term Registration Ends

Thanks for that.

For any current students...

What is summer term? I see it listed on there as going from May-August.

Also, can anyone give some information on the health insurance students get? Maybe a plan name and which provider (Blue Cross, Tufts, etc.).

Thanks!

For my class, summer term is going to be 5/3-5/21 and will consist of radiology, medicine, health and society, and microbiology - well the parasitology and mycology portion. If you failed any course during your M1 you will have to take a remediation exam sometime between 6/7-6/18. If you passed everything you have the rest of the summer off, starting 5/21 going to ~7/6. I assume it will be similar for c/o 2014 but you never know.

Thanks for that.

For any current students...

What is summer term? I see it listed on there as going from May-August.

Also, can anyone give some information on the health insurance students get? Maybe a plan name and which provider (Blue Cross, Tufts, etc.).

Thanks!

Thanks!

Its blue cross blue shield's "blue options", 0 copay/deductible if you use NSU's clinics. Otherwise it is a 200 deductible before your benefits kick in, maybe ~$25 copay for primary care office visits.

Hey I have another question about insurance. Is there anything in terms of paperwork that we have to do before classes start or is the insurance included in tuition like for undergrad?

thanks in advance for your replies

To be honest, we don't. the textbook recommended is Medical Physiology, Second edition, by Boron and Boulpaep.... But I would say MAYBE 10% of the class actually has it. I bought it, unfortunately, and have only opened it up... once? Very few textbooks are actually used at Nova. almost all the material is handed out by the professors in note packets... that's the material that is taught and tested on. The textbook that I listed above contains WAY more material than you will ever see on boards, or on your tests--so it's kind of excessive. If you are looking for something to get started with at least, the board review series for physiology by Costanzo. Many students have this as supplemental.

If you are THAT eager to study something: go for anatomy instead. It is pretty universal, we use Netters Anatomy Atlas, and doing well in anatomy can land you a paid anatomy fellowship between your first and second years.

Thanks a lot for your help! Yeah, I really don't care if it's a textbook or whatnot. I'll do the notecards, etc. My main goal was just to get back into the "studying for natural sciences" frame of mind. I did non-bio grad school after undergrad and am currently working, so I want to clean out some of those cobwebs in my brain.

Hey I have another question about insurance. Is there anything in terms of paperwork that we have to do before classes start or is the insurance included in tuition like for undergrad?

thanks in advance for your replies
I think there was only paperwork to do if you do NOT want to take the schools insurance otherwise they automatically sign you up and include it in the cost. They will tell you more info about that closer to your start date.

Don't know if this was posted yet or if they gave this out but just saw that the orientation schedule for the incoming class of 2014...figured i'd post it since last year i never saw it until a month or so before hand.

Attachments

• M1 orientation 2010.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 261
hey i went down over spring break to look at apartments and came away liking Sunforest because of its proximity to campus. However, the comments i read on google about the complex aren't the most flattering. Has anybody else heard that the neighborhood is renting out apartments to a rehab center and that these residents are really noisy?

Hey I was wondering if you have to pay for a parking pass to park close to the med school. Is it included in tuition? It seems like alot of people are okay living far from campus (Meaning not biking distance.) Can you park close, and is it a pain?
Im used to ASU, a stupid huge school that makes you pay $500 to park a mile away from class, so I have a phobia of living outside of biking distance.
Thanks

1)You get a parking pass that is free of charge and park in the lot next to HPD. The pass is for all of campus and your ID card opens the gate at any of the other campus lots (except faculty). Parking is usually no problem, especially at 8am.

2) I know alot of people who live in sunforest and they are nice apartments for the most part. I've certainly lived in worse during undergrad. Never heard any complaints of rehab people or loudness other than typically apartment noise. Sunforest is a great option for those that want to walk to school. I personally live in palm trace (same rental company, 1/2 mile away, newer). It was fine for first year, good size, decent price.

IamAriDO

Can any current students tell me that the actual cost of attendance for an out of stater isnt anywhere near 73k/year.... i was told it was 55k back in Sept. when i was accepted...

It looks like tuition is right around 40k, so I doubt coa is 73k. Im not a current student, though so I dont know.
I was wondering if anyone has heard about financial aid yet? I should be complete on that front now, and I just wanted to know when to expect to hear anything; I dont really know how the process works.
Other than that, is there anything you have to do until august 2nd, when orientation starts? I feel like I need to register for classes or do a second visit or something to feel like I am actually going there in 4 months.
Thanks

The cost of attendance is actually higher than $73K for out of state. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://medicine.nova.edu/resources/forms/cost_of_attendance.pdf

This is the max amount of money you can get for loans. It does not mean you have to take all of that but it is available should you need it.

The priority deadline at NOVA for financial aid isn't until April 15th. I am assuming that decisions will be made and award letters will be sent after this deadline (probably late April/early May). However, with the huge overhaul of the financial aid system that was just passed last night I am not sure.

If you look at that COA list it has a full semester load for the summer which is not correct.... same goes for books and supplies. I have seen that sheet before and don't believe it. That's why I wanted an M1+ to chime in.

I will post this again.... This is what the financial aid said they generally give out and it covers everything according to them...

Fall

Subsidized: $4250 Unsubsidized: $16000

Winter

Subsidized: $4250 Unsubsidized: $16000

Summer

Subsidized: $4250 Unsubsidized: $12667

Hey guys,
I was hoping some current students could weigh in on this. I'm buying a new computer for the fall and I really like this mini desktop the dell zino but I'm wondering if I really need a laptop for in class or studying in library? the zino is only like $250 compared to like a $600 laptop so thats why im leaning towards it. I would really appreciate any help.

thanks