KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First quiz done..! Did better than I thought I would do!

But man.... this is incrediblyyyyyyyy exhausting. I know you 2nd years are probably like, LOL UR TIRED NOW? JUST WAIT.. but gez. There were mornings this week where I was like... wtf am I doing

Reactions: 1 users

But man.... this is incrediblyyyyyyyy exhausting. I know you 2nd years are probably like, LOL UR TIRED NOW? JUST WAIT.. but gez. There were mornings this week where I was like... wtf am I doing

Hahaha congrats! It's very tiring from the get go but you get used to it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck on the test everyone!

Last edited:

As a recommendation though, be ready to preform on monday. The test will be harder.

How do you recommend studying better for the test?

I don't think he means study better but just not to use the quiz as a strong predictor of how you'll do on the exam. Focus on those boxes they give but make sure you understand the pathways well enough that if the asked what the product could be used for in a metabolic pathway you know what they mean.

I don't think he means study better but just not to use the quiz as a strong predictor of how you'll do on the exam. Focus on those boxes they give but make sure you understand the pathways well enough that if the asked what the product could be used for in a metabolic pathway you know what they mean.

Exactly, many ppl I know scored well on the quiz and thought they knew it well enough to take it easy. Do not do this.

Well I'm officially a mac convert. I am absolutely in love with this mac book pro. Thank you for the suggestions y'all. Ended up saving quite a bit of money with it being tax free weekend.

What are some of y'alls favorite apps/ways for note taking on the mac? I read evernote is pretty good. Is there a way to take the lecture slides from blackboard and be able to type on them?

And good luck on your biochem exam tomorrow, you guys will crush it!

I generally use word. I physically write out pathways however. But in class I take notes on my ipad. You can take notes on PDF files via Adobe I think.

Well I'm officially a mac convert. I am absolutely in love with this mac book pro. Thank you for the suggestions y'all. Ended up saving quite a bit of money with it being tax free weekend.

What are some of y'alls favorite apps/ways for note taking on the mac? I read evernote is pretty good. Is there a way to take the lecture slides from blackboard and be able to type on them?

And good luck on your biochem exam tomorrow, you guys will crush it!

I use notability. It's also cloud synced so I annotate the sides on the iPad during lecture and they are in my Mac later. It's perfect for me since I don't want to carry my Air with me everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@Drrrrrr. Celty & @Snoozer33

Thank you for the suggestions! I am going to try out both and see what works. I bought a keyboard for the ipad also but it doesn't feel as stable as the mbp. Would microsoft OneNote work well to take notes also?

The slides uploaded on blackboard have so much information on them already, it feels like they could stand on their own.

About 80-90% of the material you need to know is straight forward from the powerpoint. The rest is either things they mentioned as additions or during interaction sessions or random factoids in the reading that you either can determine by applying the information and or by reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
75% on that first exam. That **** was hard :unsure:.

Tips for others: I saw several questions taken straight from the book (at least five?).

Also, was stumped by a lot of questions that required a more thorough knowledge of some of the pathways that we covered... It was helpful that Theisen took our material and pared it down to what we should know, but I feel like I skipped a lot of details by studying his simplified pathways.

If anyone has advice, I'm all ears.

Also, to the second years, is there a typical amount of test score changing that occurs? With a 75% raw score, should I expect it to go up?

I think you're in C+/B- territory. For our year the curve was I believe 3 or so % for the first test.

Anyways, I want to say that if you're doing above the mean and or 80% then you're likely doing well and you have figured out a good study style. If you're under the mean by 5% I recommend studying more, if you're under it by over 10% then I recommend reevaluating your studying style and how you went about dealing with the material and the MCQ style of questioning.

You're going to have to do your best to learn how to work the MCQ style a bit. Ex. pick the best answer, not the one that is possible. Likewise not wasting an exceptional amount of time on a question you cannot answer. If you don't know leave it flagged and come back to it, if you have doubts then answer it and come back after you're finished with the other questions and spend your remaining down deliberating answers.

This is sort of a random question, but do you have two or three weeks for your next class? For Host Defense Mechanisms.

This is sort of a random question, but do you have two or three weeks for your next class? For Host Defense Mechanisms.

Looks like 3. Start lectures August 22 and Final is Sept 9th.

I remember the first MCM exam being a tough one simply because you have no clue how they will were those questions.

One thing I will say is that it's better to go all out in terms of memorizing details. They will test the big concepts, the pathways. For this upcoming exam it's important to know the names of these cellular and molecular enzymes/substrates. It comes down to focusing on the clinical/big concepts, and then cramming the hell out of the details until the exam. The earlier you meme rouse the key concepts the more time you get to memorize..everything else.

Also in regards to test taking: my strategy is to def flag any question where I'm left with two answers, I also flag anything where I put an answer I'm not 100% sure of. Read the last part of the question FIRST. You need to know what they are asking and they may trick you.

Lastly, make sure you are reviewing those practice questions. If you do them and don't review them it's pointless and you don't expand your knowledge base at all.

Reactions: 3 users
1st course down! 25(ish) to go

It gets more entertaining from here on out tbh.

Immuno will be a pretty good and mild class. I highly recommend reading the slides and getting a good respect for the individual cells along with the crosstalk. It is very valuable for understanding the big picture of pathology.

I know this might sound weird to you guys right now but make sure you guys enjoy first year. Second year is a completely different beast.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I know this might sound weird to you guys right now but make sure you guys enjoy first year. Second year is a completely different beast.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Especially enjoy Immuno. It'll be the last time you have afternoons off for almost ever.

idk why second year is a beast tho? Either they fixed the curriculum a bit for us, or the extra-crap is going to be more heavy this year.

Last edited:
Survive and advance is my motto.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the lack of SDN activity since it started is evidence of how it is going...haha

Haha that's definitely understandable. I don't know if this will matter to anyone, but I kind of wish someone had sort of told me the layout of the two years. The MSK-cardio part of first year was the toughest for me. I had my grand rounds during that time and all of the PCM/OS/anatomy kind of burned me out. Mostly I thought that that's how it'd be the rest of the two years. The first semester has by far the most PCM. You'll have some second semester, but not nearly as much. OS in the second semester sort of goes over similar stuff from first semester, except now you add a treatment to the diagnosis. The anatomy labs also go way down until neuro. I had a steep learning curve for the SP interviews in the first semester, and now I barely need to prep for them. So my point is just that it's going to get better.

Reactions: 2 users
Week 8: still alive. Food source running low. Can't leave apartment otherwise will fall even more behind. If you see this, please send food.

Reactions: 8 users
Can people just stop emailing K Wright and if we need to know a certain structure? If it is not on the dissector, it will not be on there. We have this one person who emailed K Wright and she basically added two new things to our list of structures, after he sent out the email. Ughhhh.

Can people just stop emailing K Wright and if we need to know a certain structure? If it is not on the dissector, it will not be on there. We have this one person who emailed K Wright and she basically added two new things to our list of structures, after he sent out the email. Ughhhh.

What 2 structures? Sigh

Wish I could "like" a million times.

She already pointed out those structures as needing to know in the review videos she did. I can imagine the PER will have some of "that wasn't on the dissector"

Well none of them were on the practical so thats good :) Im glad its over with!

Congrats with being done with the MSK practical! I would say this is def the hardest with a close second from neuroanatomy/head&neck

Now to hopefully pass the course as a whole. (Pretty pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeeee!)

Hey quick question for you guys - does KCU ever curve down the average for a class if the average is above 85%? Like if someone got 80% and class average for the course is 90...will this student’s grade go from 80 to 75%?

Thanks!

Hey quick question for you guys - does KCU ever curve down the average for a class if the average is above 85%? Like if someone got 80% and class average for the course is 90...will this student’s grade go from 80 to 75%?

Thanks!

No.

Probably a long shot, but have any of you been successful in petitioning to do an away during 3rd year? I have some offers to rotate at some big name Ophtho residencies and I really want to be able to maximize my exposure for LORs due to the early application for Ophtho (Due September 4th).