NSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals:
I was waitlisted and was offered a spot in the 2014 class! Yay! :luck:
I sent in my deposit last week, even though we have til Sept 15.
Anyone else out there in the class of 2014? :)
So now I have a whole year of doing ... nothing?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I am in the same boat as you! I sent my deposit in as well. I am still holding out some hope for this year but we will see.

As for my plans for this year... I am going to move down to FL this August and get a job for the year to try and save some money. I am from MA so I have absolutely no contacts/friends/relatives, etc. down there so I want to get a feel for the area.

Any ideas on what you want to do?

Congrats to the first 2 membersof NSUCOM Class of 2014!:D

For the coming year, I will be living at home (Tampa, FL), about 4 hours away from NSU. I may take a few classes online, and reading some books. Basically, I'll just chill bc starting next year, we won't have a life!
Good luck to you on finding a place to stay in Davie. I've been looking at a few places at rent.com, but so far it's too early for me yet. Keep in touch!
Still hoping I'll get that call btw now and July!:luck:

SloMo

Members don't see this ad :)
Well count me in, I was an alternate, but now a member of NSU-COM class of 2014! Ever since I interviewed, its been my first choice. Looks like my life is falling into place, now getting married in May, and moving to Davie, or nearby around then. Glad to see some others are in the boat with me too. This Mississippi boy is ready to finally get back in school!

Well count me in, I was an alternate, but now a member of NSU-COM class of 2014! Ever since I interviewed, its been my first choice. Looks like my life is falling into place, now getting married in May, and moving to Davie, or nearby around then. Glad to see some others are in the boat with me too. This Mississippi boy is ready to finally get back in school!

Hi MadJoe:
Welcome to the Club! when are you moving to Davie? I'll be looking for a place that will require as least cash up front as possible. So keep me posted.
The way I see it, this boat will fill up slowly but surely!
Congrats on getting married.

SloMo

hi all! I also accepted for the class of 2014. soo excited! NSU was also my first choice so I can't wait. I live in new york and probably will be here till next year. Just working for the next year. don't know what to do with myself...

hi all! I also accepted for the class of 2014. soo excited! NSU was also my first choice so I can't wait. I live in new york and probably will be here till next year. Just working for the next year. don't know what to do with myself...

Welcome, Jewels! yeah, a year seems like a long time but hopefully it'll go by quickly, especially if you work.

Mo

congrats on getting married! i am also excited about going back to school. i finished my m.s in 2008. don't want to get rusty by next year :rolleyes:

Hey guys, I was also offered admission for the class of 2014. Havn't paid the deposit yet (I'm still waiting on two other schools but really would just go to one of them over NSU next year). Has anyone called Ellen recently to find out if there has been any movement at all on the waitlist for this year? Oh and did anyone notice that we can no longer check our status of webstar cause it has been set for next year's admissions.

Hey everyone. Congrats!

I called last week to make sure my deposit/intent to enroll form arrived and I was told that because of the timing if we are pulled off the list we would get a phone call.

By going through the SDN threads it looks like there are definitely 2 spots that recently opened up and one from back in May that I am not sure was ever filled.

I have the same thing on my Webstar. I can no longer check my status. There is only the option for Fall 2010.

Good Luck to you all!

i'm in the same boat as you all. i'm hoping for the best, but if i have to wait for a year, im absolutely fine with it. i'm looking at the situation as a blessing- i'm in the process of completing the paperwork to allow myself to work abroad for 4-6 months (just need to figure out where first).

that being said, if anybody has ideas on where to go/what to do, i'd appreciate it!

Last edited:
Thats awesome all of you are in 2014. I accepted the offer I think in March or something, been wondering if anyone else did the same thing. Good to see we have a decent group of people.
I took a research job in cleveland at CWRU after I graduated last year and have still another year on my grant, so deferring to next year was ideal.

HOUSE that sounds awesome you should definitely go abroad for a while ouseduring the next year. I'm planning on spending a month in Nepal next summer before moving down to NSU. Also, bartending is the way to go if you just want to have fun and make easy, quick, and good money. I bartend for the Cavs and hopefully will be for the Browns this up coming season. Its the best, you get paid to be the life of the party.

hey guys, im gonna be 4th year

quick question..did any one on your interview trails tell you what the hell they are building across the parking lot in the health professions dept..

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, im gonna be 4th year

quick question..did any one on your interview trails tell you what the hell they are building across the parking lot in the health professions dept..

thanks

Why don't you ask someone in the Health dept and then tell us? wouldn't that make more sense? other than that, we'll have to wait til next year to find out.

Why don't you ask someone in the Health dept and then tell us? wouldn't that make more sense? other than that, we'll have to wait til next year to find out.

thank you..that has never occurred to me...wow :idea:

i just assumed they would have told you during the interview as a selling point..

ive already talked to a couple of my attendings that are school faculty..and they have no idea..

Found a way to keep from being too rusty... got a job teaching Human A & P, Chem I, and AP Chem to High schoolers for 8 weeks while the teach is on maternity leave... I already suck at it.

Ive been looking at places, and they sure are a much higher cost of living than here. Easy 700-800 for a one bedroom near Davie. While interviewing, I saw there are tons of apartments next door to the school, bet those are pricey, but the best location. It looks kinda like a bike/walk part of town. Lets keep posting about decent locations and prices... that will be a major next step for most of us.

How are you guys paying for cost of living? Loan, or gonna save it up?

Ohh and House, dude get out while you can enjoy it, did my last semester of Undergrad in London, UK. The best 4 months of my life, proposed there too... top of Edinburgh Castle in Scotland! Its super cheap to travel once you get there, hostels are cheap and RyanAir is your friend for jumping to Ireland! 80 bucks for a 2 way to Paris and back on a bus from London, and that was with a terrible exchange rate, was 41 pounds. Do it I recommend for all of you!!!

Does anyone know if we could get in state tuition if we move down to FL now and establish our residency for a year?

Does anyone know if we could get in state tuition if we move down to FL now and establish our residency for a year?

i was wondering the same thing. i was contemplating moving down there in the next month or so, but it definitely depends on residency status

I thought that tuition at a private grad/med school is the same for in/out state? tuition plus room and board are about $60k a year. Times four.

I already checked on it, it states that your residency will be based on your status when you applied... and will not change throughout your schooling. So if you applied out of state... you will be charged as so.

I thought that tuition at a private grad/med school is the same for in/out state? tuition plus room and board are about $60k a year. Times four.

I'm not in the Class of 2014 (I'm applying though :xf:). The tuition is different for in state/out of state. I am pretty sure from looking over the class of 2013 that the max that out of state students could borrow for COA is 79K. For in state it would be less as tuition is a few grand less.

so i looked it up and the in state tuition for 2008-2009 was $29,030 and the out of state was $35,545. not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.nsu is one of the schools that does have the in/out state difference. i'm sure the tuition will be higher for us next year

so i looked it up and the in state tuition for 2008-2009 was $29,030 and the out of state was $35,545. not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.nsu is one of the schools that does have the in/out state difference. i'm sure the tuition will be higher for us next year

Thanks Jewels.
So any movement on the wait list yet? supposedly two people took off for other schools recently. Anybody got called?

Thanks Jewels.
So any movement on the wait list yet? supposedly two people took off for other schools recently. Anybody got called?

so I'm still in shock, but I just got called off the waitlist for this year. I can't believe it! so much to do, so little time

so I'm still in shock, but I just got called off the waitlist for this year. I can't believe it! so much to do, so little time

So happy for you. I wonder what happened to the other spot?

But you go girl!

Welcome to Nova! I am an M1 there now. Let me know if you have any questions.

:thumbup: good idea on starting up the page. i will probably be seeing you all in august. i can't wait to start already

I just sent in my first deposit, looking forward to meeting you all in August.

I just sent in my first deposit, looking forward to meeting you all in August.

We do not have to send in a deposit until December, right? I did not get any other information regarding deposit or financial aid yet.

We do not have to send in a deposit until December, right? I did not get any other information regarding deposit or financial aid yet.

First deposit is $950 and is due Dec 14th. Second deposit it $1050 and is due March 15th.

Yeah, we don't have to send in the first half of the deposit for a while. I just got a little ahead of myself and figured I might as well pay it now to get it out of the way before I pay for a couple airline tickets for a trip abroad so I can budget it all out better.

Last edited:

I have a few questions about tests. Are tests given every week? Do you have more than one exam on the same day, for instance a lecture with an OMM exam and a lab anatomy exam? What happens to those who don't pass an exam(s)? Can exams be redone, courses be retaken, or after a certain number are you expelled?

Is there a huge amount of information that you must digest in a short period of time? If so, how do you manage to keep up with the material? Do you have any good study strategies? Are classes 8-5 primarily?

I have a few questions about tests. Are tests given every week? Do you have more than one exam on the same day, for instance a lecture with an OMM exam and a lab anatomy exam? What happens to those who don't pass an exam(s)? Can exams be redone, courses be retaken, or after a certain number are you expelled?
Most weeks have a test on Monday, not every week. The test is on one subject and just one test, unless it is a course that has a lab component, then you will have the lecture test on monday morning and the lab test on monday afternoon. Example, this past monday was an anatomy lecture/lab test, and this coming monday is a physiology lecture test. If you fail the course, you have to remediate after the end of the spring semester. I think this is done by taking another test. I don't know too many details about remediation, they are outlined in the student handbook, which is on nova's website.

Is there a huge amount of information that you must digest in a short period of time? If so, how do you manage to keep up with the material? Do you have any good study strategies? Are classes 8-5 primarily?
Yes it is medical school. The schedule is varied but generally it is 8-12 lecture, 12-1 lunch 1-5 lab. It is hard to keep up and you will constantly feel like you are behind, but you just have to do your best to learn as much as you can. Everyones study strategy is different, you need to figure out what works for you.

Ditto Redrumi-- Its hard to figure out what works. And just when you think you have it figured out....you'll need to adapt. I think the best strategy is being willing to change if something or some method is clearly not working for you. One thing that has helped me is getting involved with a good tutor early in the semester instead of trying to find one during crunch time. We are all pretty tired right now since we are about to take our 3rd exam in 3 weeks and many of us will take a 4th one shortly. Its been pretty crazy but you will learn how to keep up.

It is true that if you keep up daily you will be in a better place. That being said...no one listens til they end up behind and then you are like...wow I should have kept up!! Murphy's first law of med school I guess!!

Does the school provide tutors that you pay for? Who are the tutors and how does it work?

Ditto Redrumi-- Its hard to figure out what works. And just when you think you have it figured out....you'll need to adapt. I think the best strategy is being willing to change if something or some method is clearly not working for you. One thing that has helped me is getting involved with a good tutor early in the semester instead of trying to find one during crunch time. We are all pretty tired right now since we are about to take our 3rd exam in 3 weeks and many of us will take a 4th one shortly. Its been pretty crazy but you will learn how to keep up.

It is true that if you keep up daily you will be in a better place. That being said...no one listens til they end up behind and then you are like...wow I should have kept up!! Murphy's first law of med school I guess!!

They are people who were master's students in anatomy the year before. It is pretty well organized. You'll understand more when you get here.

So I'm bored at work and decided to look at places for next year. From your guys experience what's a reasonable traveling time to school (during undergrad I commuted 5 mins from a house off campus)?

I was thinking of living more towards Ft. Lauderdale because I want a bit of a change of environment from undergrad, and I figure I'll be on campus 90% of the time anyway so it will be nice to be in a small city rather than suburbs. I've heard it takes a 20min drive from downtown ft. lauderdale is that true? Is there major traffic in the morning going towards campus?

I started looking just for fun as well. I am from Delray Beach and travel to FAU's Davie campus (next to Nova) twice a week. You do not want anything to do with I95 or 595 during rush hour. Coming from downtown Ft. Lauderdale, you will most likely be taking 595 to get to University Drive. It could be a 15 minute drive for you, or a 2 hour drive, depending on traffic. Due to this situation, I am probably going to live in the Plantation area since I can take University straight down to campus, and avoid any major highways.

I live in plantation and it takes 15 minutes door to door, which has been a reasonable amount of time. It would take much longer to get to downtown Ft. Lauderdale during rush hour especially. I know of at least one girl who commutes from Miami, so people do it. It is your call how much commuting you think you can handle. Personally more than 15-20 minutes would make me unhappy.

I live in plantation and it takes 15 minutes door to door, which has been a reasonable amount of time. It would take much longer to get to downtown Ft. Lauderdale during rush hour especially. I know of at least one girl who commutes from Miami, so people do it. It is your call how much commuting you think you can handle. Personally more than 15-20 minutes would make me unhappy.

I think that anything under 45minutes wouldn't really bother me because that's what my average commute to work is now. So I was wondering if the commute is less than that average time. Though, I'm still in the very beginning stages of planning out my living situation for med school and have no idea where I will end up staying.

I think that anything under 45minutes wouldn't really bother me because that's what my average commute to work is now. So I was wondering if the commute is less than that average time. Though, I'm still in the very beginning stages of planning out my living situation for med school and have no idea where I will end up staying.

If you take the right roads I think it would be less than that on average, not 100% sure. I know I can get from Pompano Beach(my IGC site) to Plantation in about 35 minutes during rush hour and 25 minutes during other times.

My husband works in downtown Ft Lauderdale on Las Olas and we live in Plantation and it takes him about 20 mins to get to work but he does not go in during rush hour so that is with "light traffic" he says.

Hey everyone! I'll see you all in the class of 2014! Super excited!

So do we have to wait until the first day of classes to be able to officially change our status from pre-med to Medical Student haha :laugh:

Last edited:
So do we have to wait until the first day of classes to be able to officially change our status from pre-med to Medical Student haha :laugh:

I know I'm waiting! I got a lecture from a Medical Student at one of my interviews, he ranted about people on SDN changing their status to "Medical Student" when they got accepted and before they actually started class.

hi everyone!

i've been accepted and absolutely loved nova, and i was hoping to get some feedback from current students in regards to research opportunities at nova....it was stressed at my interview that nova is not research heavy, and i was wondering if any students know of people that do research in any form....i am not trying to go crazy/get tons of publications, but i was hoping to do some research (whether benchwork or public health studies, etc.)....i know that there are "research" electives, does anyone know how that works?

thanks in advance, and congrats to all of you fellow class of 2014'ers

-x